Fantasy World planning

xinoehp512

34 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Maybe! My thought is that it the awakening Elder God would be the one who made the Rituals, and that would begin to cause an imbalance in the Ritual/Natural magic balance. That could cause all sorts of strange effects.

Since I think we won't be doing any kind of wild plot-twisting with this storyline, it's probably better to keep the plotting out in the open. So, I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on whatever is causing the disappearances in the old undercity, or feedback on this idea. :) 

Oh, of course. I was thinking that Ritual magic might be gathering in places (sort of) and leaving places in the city for Natural magic to pool. The result would be areas where even a slight amount of belief could cause something to suddenly pop into existence.

46 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Oh, of course. I was thinking that Ritual magic might be gathering in places (sort of) and leaving places in the city for Natural magic to pool. The result would be areas where even a slight amount of belief could cause something to suddenly pop into existence.

That would be...easily exploited. If you're willing to take the risk, then go for it, I guess (I also recognize my input doesn't mean much, I just felt the need to point out that people would be manifesting dragons and other crazy stuff left and right)

13 minutes ago, Invocation said:

That would be...easily exploited. If you're willing to take the risk, then go for it, I guess (I also recognize my input doesn't mean much, I just felt the need to point out that people would be manifesting dragons and other crazy stuff left and right)

Yes that’s a loophole that is probably too tempting to snag on, imo.

Quick question about natural magic, lets say that you had a man who carved a little wooden soldier for a boy, then told him that if the boy believed hard enough, the wooden figure would come alive.

Would that be enough belief for the figure to move around? Could the amount of belief needed decrease if the man attached the spirit web of a living creature or something to the doll?

5 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Quick question about natural magic, lets say that you had a man who carved a little wooden soldier for a boy, then told him that if the boy believed hard enough, the wooden figure would come alive.

Would that be enough belief for the figure to move around? Could the amount of belief needed decrease if the man attached the spirit web of a living creature or something to the doll?

In my opinion, the belief of the boy alone wouldn't be enough to make it come alive. I think that the doll could begin to exhibit life in the second case, though it might not behave in the way that the boy would expect, since it's operating more on the life of another creature, and not the belief of the boy. Perhaps with enough time, the boy's belief could have a measurable influence on the doll, but I wouldn't say immediately. 

Edit: It might be more amenable to the carver's will, however.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

In my opinion, the belief of the boy alone wouldn't be enough to make it come alive. I think that the doll could begin to exhibit life in the second case, though it might not behave in the way that the boy would expect, since it's operating more on the life of another creature, and not the belief of the boy. Perhaps with enough time, the boy's belief could have a measurable influence on the doll, but I wouldn't say immediately. 

What if it only came alive when it was alone with him? Like he was playing with it in his room and it played with him, but if a parent or another child who didn't believe walked in it would disappear.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

What if it only came alive when it was alone with him? Like he was playing with it in his room and it played with him, but if a parent or another child who didn't believe walked in it would disappear.

Does it have the ability to do anything besides entertain (like terrorize the family, etc)? Or is this doll effectively like an imaginary playmate that actually is just a playmate? If so, then yes I think that the localized realm of belief might be enough for such a small enchantment.

6 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

I can't tell if you're trying to make Chucky or Toy Story.

Does it have the ability to do anything besides entertain (like terrorize the family, etc)? Or is this doll effectively like an imaginary playmate that actually is just a playmate? If so, then yes I think that the localized realm of belief might be enough for such a small enchantment.

Its much more of an imaginary playmate.

The idea stems from the thought that little kids can create their own worlds to play in. They have so much belief and faith in how the world works, and when they are alone, no one is there to limit them.

In addition, I feel like a group of kids belief, in general, is a lot more potent than a group of adults. Because a group of 30 year olds understand basic logic and reason and know that there is a way the world works, but kids don't know about any of that. They legitimately think the floor is lava, even if they don't get hurt when they touch it. 

I think that their belief, is limited to things they understand though. Like having fun and playing, as opposed to people trying to make them nor believe in the dragon on top of the mountain so that they can get the gold.

Essentially, the childs innocence makes their belief in good things more potent, because to a kid the world is always more magical.

Just now, Invocation said:

I can't tell if you're trying to make Chucky or Toy Story.

Im thinking indian in the cupboard, or the steadfast tin soldier.

Just now, Invocation said:

Yeah, no, it's good. I just couldn't tell. I could see it both ways and know my tone is absent here so I figured I'd make sure.

Yeah. Its also probably my fault. Attempting to learn an entire unit of chemistry in a single night left me a bit crabby.

Yeah. Its also probably my fault. Attempting to learn an entire unit of chemistry in a single night left me a bit crabby.

That might be the most relatable thing I've ever heard read on here. I had a chem test earlier, so I get where you're coming from.

7 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Oh no!! Chemistry left me scarred and broken, I know your pains. I also think your Indian in the Cupboard idea/children's imagination idea is just fine. I'd say that any childhood illusion that momentarily spins itself into existence gets stronger or weaker nearer or further to a leyline (just to keep it within some kind of world rule). As a former professional childhood imaginator, I'm all for brightening the world of the little ones of Kuria with magic :3 

Oh no!! Chemistry left me scarred and broken, I know your pains. I also think your Indian in the Cupboard idea/children's imagination idea is just fine. I'd say that any childhood illusion that momentarily spins itself into existence gets stronger or weaker nearer or further to a leyline (just to keep it within some kind of world rule). As a former professional childhood imaginator, I'm all for brightening the world of the little ones of Kuria with magic :3 

Yay! Im thinking of making thorstein be like a gandalfy guy who loves the little man (or kid).

On a completely different note, would making edibles enchanted cookies that enchant you once you eat them be allowed? Like a cookie that you eat and it changes your future, or makes you happier.

I know this sounds a lot like weed products, but essentially im trying to make cookies, that are potions.

Yay! Im thinking of making thorstein be like a gandalfy guy who loves the little man (or kid).

On a completely different note, would making edibles enchanted cookies that enchant you once you eat them be allowed? Like a cookie that you eat and it changes your future, or makes you happier.

I know this sounds a lot like weed products, but essentially im trying to make cookies, that are potions.

I 100% support all Gandalf-esque characters, and I will not judge you for making weed cookies, just fyi. In fact, Aldred, being the lapsed cleric that he is, would probably hit you up for some :P As far as potion cookies go, changing the future? probably not usually (like it would be rare, difficult, and probably easy to kill someone with). Altering emotions? yeah that makes sense to me for a common occurance. If you can enchant food to have magical, altering properties, there is bound to be an underground trade for this, which I like. I love a good underground element, and I also like potions. So I'm fine with it. This would be different than mages altering their own minds via Ritual magic, yes? Since I believe you vetoed that one yourself earlier (I don't care either way but I'm just trying to keep the rules straight in my brain).

5 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

You're trying to fuse pot brownies and Hemalurgic cookies? Weird.

That aside, there's no reason it wouldn't work as long as you used the potion in the recipe, but I don't have final say by any stretch.

Edited by Invocation

I 100% support all Gandalf-esque characters, and I will not judge you for making weed cookies, just fyi. In fact, Aldred, being the lapsed cleric that he is, would probably hit you up for some :P As far as potion cookies go, changing the future? probably not usually (like it would be rare, difficult, and probably easy to kill someone with). Altering emotions? yeah that makes sense to me for a common occurance. If you can enchant food to have magical, altering properties, there is bound to be an underground trade for this, which I like. I love a good underground element, and I also like potions. So I'm fine with it. This would be different than mages altering their own minds via Ritual magic, yes? Since I believe you vetoed that one yourself earlier (I don't care either way but I'm just trying to keep the rules straight in my brain).

Changing the future would likely be the aspect of the spirit-web that chromium changes, the destiny part.

In addition, it would be things that you could change via the spirit web. So I don't think that mind altering enchantments would work. I vetoed it earlier due to the scientific knowledge required to deliberately alter your mind. This wouldn't be similar. It would be like enchanting a cookie to minimize a persons connection to bad events in their past. Or enchanting a cookie to make a person burst into flame without hurting them self every time someone said a specific word. Just the usual enchantments that other things could have.

Saying that the cookie makes you happier was a poor choice of words. The idea would be that the cookie temporarily alters some aspect of your spiritweb to change something. This could be anything from making your fingernails as sharp as swords, making you think fast, etc.

Spoiler

Magnus Arnar Carlson

Extremely skilled baker and ritual magic user, been around for about 800 years. His backstory is really similar to his brother, thorstein. He is now the Leader of the DA in Jord and the leader of the academy.

There isn't a lot of backstory on him, but you will want to talk to him about anything revolving the DA or the Academy.

I don't care how his personality develops too much, but he has to get along with his brother. And his moral compass and other things need to align with Thorsteins. I will fill out more, but he is intended to be a background character.

This is a lousy character sheet, but I don't have time for anything big. And he's an NPC.

Edited by MacThorstenson