5 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

I would further say that writing multiple points in a characters timeline at once should be allowed, because while maybe a bit confusing (maybe give a date/time heading to posts if you choose to do that), it makes it much more flexible what people can do while one of their characters is already tied up by an ongoing scene.

Is this a direct response to my multi-post?

That... took way longer than I expected. damnation, writing believable dialogue is difficult.

Anyway, probably Part 1 of a 4 part backstory detailing why she is the way she is, why she gives any bits about Megan, and a couple things I just wanted to write down. I can hardly believe that authors like wildbow and erratic erratica can write so many words in just 2 days at such a high quality. This took 2 days.

4 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

I had an idea for a character that would fill that role well.  Maybe they can enter the city during the timeskip?

Why shouldn't they already be in the city? Would give them much better credentials. We can insert them into some character's pasts in the WHiCannon thread.

12 hours ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

Somebody should really give Karina a bayonet for her birthday.

I like the sound of an information broker character.

Now why didn't I think of that?

EDIT: So, this next passage works under the assumption that the reason most Epics are just plain evil from the get go is because they use their powers heavily during their Rending. If someone was, say, knocked out during before they could use their powers extensively, would they still be fully corrupted?

ANOTHER EDIT: Do you think all Reckoners teams would have harmsways and/or some other healing device? I'm inclined to say no.

Edited by breakingamber

16 hours ago, breakingamber said:

ANOTHER EDIT: Do you think all Reckoners teams would have harmsways and/or some other healing device? I'm inclined to say no.

Decent healing powers fit to make motivators out of are apparently pretty rare, since Knighthawk in Book 3 puts a lot of emphasis on how badly he wants a sample of Prof's DNA so he can possibly heal his wife. While there are probably a decent number of Reckoners cells with some sort of Epic technology, chances are that they don't have access to healing. If they do, it's undoubtedly a far inferior version to what Prof can gift that won't be healing any mortal wounds.

17 hours ago, breakingamber said:

EDIT: So, this next passage works under the assumption that the reason most Epics are just plain evil from the get go is because they use their powers heavily during their Rending. If someone was, say, knocked out during before they could use their powers extensively, would they still be fully corrupted?

1. Yeah, that was always my interpretation of it. One of the characters I'm thinking about premiering in the new thread has a related reason for why they aren't corrupted.

2. In Firefight David gets to meet another cell of Reckoners, and they don't have harmsways. Also, (spoilers?):

Spoiler

Harmsways are fake anyway. It's just a cover for Prof's healing power.

The only instance of a real harmsway was created and subsequently destroyed before the books ever happened, and was created by Knighthawk using a blood sample Prof willingly donated. It was destroyed because using motivators taken from living epics are extremely uncomfortable/painful to the epics in question.

17 hours ago, breakingamber said:

Probably, but keep in mind the powers themselves are addicting as well, so they might end up using their powers anyway. Also interesting is that we still don't know how Prof's group stayed uncorrupted in the beginning, this may be related (either that or first wave didn't have Rendings).

4 minutes ago, kenod said:

Probably, but keep in mind the powers themselves are addicting as well, so they might end up using their powers anyway. Also interesting is that we still don't know how Prof's group stayed uncorrupted in the beginning, this may be related (either that or first wave didn't have Rendings).

It's probably not super rare for weird circumstances to make an epics rending not as bad. Resulting in an epic that's relatively less corrupted.

What's rarer is that they stay uncorrupted, due to the addictive nature of the powers. I'm pretty sure the rest of that group ended up being corrupted, and even Prof veered into being corrupted at least once.

Although, you'd think people would have figured out if gifting was a reliable way to stave off corruption. Given the presence of three prominent gifters in Newcago alone (and possibly a greater number of weak gifters on par with Curveball, for all we know), I wasn't under the impression that gifters were exceedingly rare.

17 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

2. In Firefight David gets to meet another cell of Reckoners, and they don't have harmsways. Also, (spoilers?):

Reveal hidden contents

The only instance of a real harmsway was created and subsequently destroyed before the books ever happened, and was created by Knighthawk using a blood sample Prof willingly donated. It was destroyed because using motivators taken from living epics are extremely uncomfortable/painful to the epics in question.

Wait what? Is that a WoB? That seems really interesting to me.

12 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

It's probably not super rare for weird circumstances to make an epics rending not as bad. Resulting in an epic that's relatively less corrupted.

What's rarer is that they stay uncorrupted, due to the addictive nature of the powers. I'm pretty sure the rest of that group ended up being corrupted, and even Prof veered into being corrupted at least once.

Although, you'd think people would have figured out if gifting was a reliable way to stave off corruption. Given the presence of three prominent gifters in Newcago alone (and possibly a greater number of weak gifters on par with Curveball, for all we know), I wasn't under the impression that gifters were exceedingly rare.

True, but the trick to a Gifter not being corrupted isn't just in gifting their powers, it's also not using them. Gifting makes it easier to deal with the addiction, but it doesn't remove the corruption. If an Epic is already corrupted they'll continue to use their powers as much as they want, so it doesn't matter that much. The only ones who do figure it out are those who actually know how the corruption works and aren't corrupted badly enough so that they actually care about stopping it.

Other than that, it's probably good to remember that the number of gifters in Newcago probably isn't indicative of their overall rarity. Newcago had a much higher Epic count in general because the city actually had a semi-competent leader which made it a nice place to life if you were an Epic because of all the advanced tech and stuff. Steelheart would have also tried to attract Gifters as much as possible because of the potential they represent, increasing their numbers even more. But yeah, they can't be extremely rare, given that the rest of the team was familiar with the power IIRC, which they weren't with rarer powers like Assumers and Cancelers.

Edit:

2 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

I kind of remember it being in the books? Maybe I'm coloring in the blank spaces but at least I thought that's what happened.

Other Harmsways do exist, Knighthawk had a bunch of them lying around, most of them just weren't that powerful. I don't think that he sold them though (given that he had them lying around), so the chances of other people (Reckoner cells) having them is pretty low, but they might have bought them from other companies. If Knighthawk didn't buy them up first of course, it seems like the type of thing he'd do.

Edited by kenod

23 minutes ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

1. Yeah, that was always my interpretation of it. One of the characters I'm thinking about premiering in the new thread has a related reason for why they aren't corrupted.

Reveal hidden contents

Hm, that doesn't seem right. I believe Knighthawk mentions that he made several harmsways from other Epics to use one his wife, though none of them worked.

9 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

Hm, that doesn't seem right. I believe Knighthawk mentions that he made several harmsways from other Epics to use one his wife, though none of them worked.

Yeah, but he probably didn't sell any of them, given how reluctant he was to give David one. And knowing him he'd probably buy up all Harmsways produced by the other companies as well.

5 hours ago, breakingamber said:

Yeah, he had a lot of healing motivators. But he only made exactly one using Prof, which Prof and Knighthawk agreed to destroy.  This was before Amala died.

I'm pretty sure it was that specific device that the later "harmsways" Prof made were fake imitations of.

So... um... couple questions.

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles: Would Jade and Nathan even stick around for the meeting? Seems like they'd just hightail it out of there as soon as something looked vaguely like 'a bunch of Epics in the same location'.

@Comatose: I was told that you could contact Saze? Would you be willing to do so

@Voidus: How do you plan to coordinate the timeskip and stuff involving your two characters outside the time bubble?

Hope I haven't irritated all the mods... oh wait. On a side note, I wish I'd thought through my character a little better. I'm rewriting her and her backstory left and right, and I just know there's  bunch of contradictions in my posts I've yet to notice.