Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

LG49/AN3: Hour 5.5 - To Protect This Family

First they ostracized their own kind, a Kholin even. Then, a lowly servant, merely doing her job. Now, they were booting a diplomat out. These lighteyes just couldn’t make up their minds. Who would they kick out next? A Herald? The Almighty himself? Thara shook her head as she watched the king point to the door and Darkness glare at him briefly before walking through it.

The doors swung shut and the feast hall was silent. Almost ominously so. No, not ominous. Perfectly benign. Nothing is going to happen. Certainly not any more dead bodies. Two people dying in front of her was quite enough for Thara (yes, she knew Brightlord Sadeas hadn’t technically died in front of her, but she still counted it because she’d found him and that eye. She was quite certain she’d never get that image out of her mind no matter how long she lived).

A man standing next to the king stumbled, dropping the wine he was holding. Thara recognized him. Oh, right. He’s the other one they were going to kick out. The one the Kholin heretic hates. Restares fell to the floor, gasping. A number of brightlords, the king included, crowded around him, and Thara lost her line of sight to the man. When the crowd parted again, he was still.

Someone screamed. At first, Thara thought it was because of what just happened to Restares, but then she realized that no, the scream came from a different part of the feast hall. She turned and stared. Renarin Kholin put his hand up on the wall in the corner for support. He slipped to the floor, leaving a smear of blood from his hand all the way down the wall to where he lay. A knife protruded from his back.

“No!” Adolin screamed from the middle of the feast hall, running towards his brother. But he was too late to save him.

Darkness was ostracized!
Renarin Kholin was killed!
Restares was killed!

Darkness: (3) - Amaram, Restares, Gavilar
Restares: (3) - Jasnah, Ivory, Szeth

Tearim averted his eyes as the guards tried to pry Brightlord Adolin from his brother's body. It had been much easier to remove Restares' from the hall. He grabbed a glass of violet wine from a passing servant, who was as shaken as everyone else. As he attempted to drink, it slipped from his shaking hand and shattered on the floor. It was all going to pieces, storm it all. 

He couldn't discern any pattern or reason for the murders. It wasn't even the act of a single criminal! He rubbed his temples, oblivious to the servant sweeping the glass shards at his feet. 

Navani heard the shouts, and hurriedly made her way to Renarin's dead body. 

Oh, oh no. No no no no

A Kholin. Dead. This would spark an outrage. Not to mention Sadeas' death as well.

Hurriedly, Navani left Renarin's body. She didn't want to be anywhere near when Dalinar heard of this.

Edited by SE_Navani_Kholin
Italics

8 hours ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

So, the beggar did not end up getting attacked and then protected like Gavilar said would happen. So either the attack failed, or somebody redirected it to a different target.

Kelek ended up roleblocking Gavilar's attack, which did complete Kelek's win condition. It appears Gavilar completed his win condition as well, so the attack achieved its purpose.

Dalinar stirred, waking up from his drunken stupor. How long was I out for? He blinked bleary eyes, looking around. Gavilar’s feast was still going on.  Damnation, I haven’t been out for more than an hour. I’m not nearly drunk enough yet. 

Dalinar reached to grab the last glass of violet from off the tray of a passing servant, but someone else grabbed it first, then immediately dropped it on the floor. 

“Shtorm it all,” Dalinar grumbled. “Fetsh me shome more violet!” He demanded of no one in particular. A tip. I should offer a tip. He dug in his pocket and came up with a glowing emerald broam. Far too much for a glass of wine, but he didn’t care. He thumped it down on the table for the next person to bring him some violet wine. 

He looked around, squinting against the bright lights. Most everyone was huddled around someone or something in the corner, and shooting nervous glances Dalinar’s way.

What did I miss? He wondered. 

“Wha’ did I mish?” He said.

A new Pinch Hitter stepping in here, what did I miss? 

Seriously though, I’m trying to get caught up on everything. Could anyone fill me in on what’s happened so far?

Edited by SE_Dalinar_Kholin
Typo

2 hours ago, SE_Dalinar_Kholin said:

A new Pinch Hitter stepping in here, what did I miss? 

Seriously though, I’m trying to get caught up on everything. Could anyone fill me in on what’s happened so far?

Adolin was ostracized, but has since returned. 

Liss was ostracized. 

Thaidakar was killed. None of us seem to know much about that.

I was attacked, but protected. We're not sure exactly why but a few different reasons have been suggested to me through PM. 

Ialai accidentally killed Torol, due to a redirect. 

Then we've pretty much caught up to this cycle, where we ostracized a foreign diplomat, someone killed Renarin, and someone killed Restares. 

really, when you look at it like that, it doesn't seem like much has happened, but everyone has been doing stuff in the background, and lots of stuff has actually happened. 

Edited by SE_Jasnah_Kholin

Also I'm offering everyone free money. Just shoot me a message if you're interested.

Shardbow: 14 spheres

Infused spheres: 3 spheres each

I spied on Gavilar last night, and can confirm that he attacked beggar. So 2 other murds are running around.

If I had to guess, after finishing their other win conditions, the game might turn into a standard village/elim battle, with people getting killed every turn. If that's so, the elims would probably be the people who finished their win cons first.

Or maybe not. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Aesudan sipped a glass of blue, observing the discussion. Dalinar was a drunken fool, but she still felt pity for the man, waking up to find his son murdered like that.

“In light of the recent events, maybe we should do something to cheer up the feast? I would rather not leave the Parshendi such a bad impression of us Alethi.

Some music, perhaps? I am sure that we have some capable entertainers (as opposed to Wit) prepared for the festivities. I am also told that the Parshendi brought drums.”

14 hours ago, SE_Elhokar_Kholin said:

I spied on Gavilar last night, and can confirm that he attacked beggar. So 2 other murds are running around.

Actually, there's one less now. My win-condition for the last two turns was to deal with one of the murderers. I had reasons to suspect it was Restares, and dealing with him completed my win-condition. I don't expect to have any other attack-related win-cons, unless anyone else ends up with an attack-related win-con against me or mine.

Heading to the outskirts of the grand hall, Jasnah found a door to the room where the worldsingers were supposed to be. Upon entering she found one man. "You are the worldsinger my father hired, correct? Where are the others?" 

The worldsinger responded "They all left after they heard that there had been multiple murders. None of them thought it was worth the risk of being killed. Honestly, I was just finishing packing, then I was also going to leave too"

"I understand your fear, worldsinger. But fear not, you are under the direct supervision of the king's daughter, and I will be certain nothing happens to you"

"Weren't you recently attacked?" the worldsinger responded.

"I was." Jasnah conceded. "However, my attacker has been located and dealt with. I am certain that I can offer you protection from any threats until you are on the stage, at which time no one would dare attack you, because you will be in front of everyone. I know that normally we allow the worldsinger to choose the story to tell, but I believe that the story of Fleet may be able to bring a positive message to those here tonight." 

"I know the story of fleet," The worldsinger responded "The man who raced a highstorm." Then he paused for a moment before continuing. "I know the story, but my mentor knows it much better, and is able to tell it with much better flare. I think I saw the man running around somewhere. He tends to get himself into places, but I do not think many know that he was once a worldsinger, as it has been many years since he left that life. I will tell the story. But If I find my mentor, I will have him tell the story instead."

Jasnah thought about the worldsinger's words for a second, then agreed. "I will agree to that. What is your name Worldsinger, so we can introduce you to my father, King Gavilar?"

The worldsinger didn't respond immediately, then finally, said "Call me LizgiS" 

Szeth stood on guard near the Parshendi, ready to summon his Honorblade. He'd never seen so much death in a single day before -- yet, what else should he have expected from from the Alethi? A nation united by conquest would not stay stable for long. Especially one with time dilation powers.

The guests around the room all looked tense, especially the servants, whose artificially cheery faces did nothing to hide their fear. Even the Worldsinger, who had just arrived, spoke with a hitch to his words. Szeth ignored his story. He had to stay alert, in case there was another attack.

Beggar had survived. That had been the expected result, and he was glad to have been given the extra time to drink wine and enjoy the party. The continued deaths ate away at him though. Restares's killer had confessed, and didn't seem the type to continue going around murdering people. Beggar couldn't help but notice though that all the recent deaths had been allies of King Gavilar. His daughter, his highprince, his nephew, his whatever Restares was. Beggar wasn't quite sure why the man had possessed the king's favor, but now he was dead with the others. Perhaps the murderers would go after Gavilar himself next. Some part of Beggar, the piece of him that could never quite be overwhelmed with wine, knew he couldn't let that happen.