Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

12 minutes ago, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

Thank you.  Yes, I apparently did miss those posts.  My apologies.

1 hour ago, SE_Darkness said:

If I were going with OOG information from the book, I'd still be most suspicious of the Klade, Venli, Szeth bloc, since all three of them were complicit in the assassination in the books - if anyone Action Spied them and can confirm or deny this, I'd greatly appreciate it (also, a note: I believe how successful actions work is that if a player doesn't participate, it reduces the success chance of an action, but doesn't automatically fail it. So even if Klade is telling the truth, I don't believe that clears Szeth or Venli). However, I'm deliberately trying to separate my in game knowledge from my OOG knowledge, so I don't plan on trying to ostracise them or take any other kind of action against them without some kind of in game proof, or at least a reasonable suspicion based on their words.

I too will not be taking any action other than with IG knowledge about any of the parshendi, however, I would like a non-parshendi to vouch for them if possible.

I know little knowledge about what has happened up until this point (though as I could PM 2 turns ago, that has helped.).  Amaram's wincon was to attack... who?  There was a question if him gambling would fufill his wincon by killing someone, which I think was PAFOed... is it possible that was what killed Gavilar?  I find it unlikely, but just throwing it out there...

Edited by SE_Liss

My win con was to Join the Sons of Honor, which was quite dramatically foiled by both the ostracism of Amaram and the death of Gavilar. However, Gavilar confided in me that he was going to try to study the Black Sphere, which was in his possession, instead of making the group action to induct me as a Son. Thus, I decided to assist Amaram’s Gamble action, hoping that if he succeeded, both of them could do the group action next turn and complete my wincon. Amaram’s action failed, ostracizing him. The King died.

Currently, I trust Darkness, Liss, and Amaram most because of their ostracization. I don’t believe Dalinar would have a reason to kill Gavilar.

1 hour ago, SE_Tearim said:

Actually it didn’t fail, and I appreciate your assistance, I was just ostracized because of the vote. I can confirm that anyone who was ostracized and then returned is innocent, as I briefly saw the ostrasization doc. 

People we need to post to confirm suspicions/alibis

@SE_Jasnah_Kholin

@SE_Venli

if there’s anyone else, just tag them in your post. Also, quotes make it so tagging someone doesn’t notify them.

I just realized something useful. it might not lead to the killer of Gavilar, but it'd certainly* lead to the killer of Renarin, which might help with finding Gavilars killer. Renarin had an item which we believed would start a PM between him and whoever targeted him with an action. This item was called a 'Strange Fabrial'. If after Renarin's death anyone ended up in a PM with someone they targeted because of this item (which is clearly stated in both the action result and the start of the PM), it means you've probably run into the killer.

*killing someone results in the killer getting that persons items, right? I assumed so, but I can't find it in the rules right now.

I unfortunately haven’t been as active the lately, but I’m going to be spending more time on the game now.

Last cycle I attempted to redirect Amaram’s action to himself. I did this to fulfill my win condition of doing 2 successful redirects, and because the GMs confirmed that this would not prevent Amaram’s gambling from succeeding, if that was in fact what he was doing. I failed. However, Adolin can confirm that I redirected his action to Tearim the cycle before, and Dalinar can confirm that I reached out to him asking for help redirecting somebody. I still need to redirect one person, and if anybody is willing to assist me then I will let them choose who the redirect targets.

Also, Gavilar contacted me last cycle and asked if I was qualified to help him study the sphere. I told him I didn’t know if I was or wasn’t qualified, but I that I would try to help him anyhow if he in return helped me redirect somebody the following cycle. Gavilar said he didn’t have the spare actions, and that in any case Navani had agreed to help him in the meantime, so we did not end up making a deal. But, I can confirm that Navani’s story is truthful, and by extension the Parshendi are probably not to blame.

On the bright side, I guess my husband is now the king of Alethkar...? Congratulations, Elhokar.

Edited by SE_Aesudan_Kholin

The king was dead, and Beggar had been unable to save him. Beggar had sworn to prevent this very thing from happening, yet he had failed. Why? How could he have been so negligent in his duty? Beggar felt like the Almighty was mocking him; less than an hour after proclaiming that gambling was not blasphemous, Gavilar had died. What had Beggar been doing while Alethkar's ruler lay dying in a pool of his own blood? Playing breakneck in a back room of the palace, naively thinking it would help him avert further bloodshed. If only he had been ostracised so he could hide his shame from the world. Sadly, he was still here, with nothing left to fill the gap abandoned by wine except the desire to learn who had murdered the king.

5 hours ago, SE_Ivory said:

*killing someone results in the killer getting that persons items, right? I assumed so, but I can't find it in the rules right now.

If so, and I presume it would as certain items can't be allowed to disappear from the game, the person who currently possesses the black sphere should be the murderer. Item scan has a 40% base chance of success with each item rolled for separately, so unless item passing goes before item scanning, two or three people with that ability should be able to target someone this turn and determine whether or not they were the murderer.

I again apologise for my lack of activity—I hope to rectify this, and a large portion of my time has been freed, but getting in here with consistency may prove to be a greater challenge than I anticipated. 

Gavilar’s death is obviously not good, and finding his killer is likely a mandatory task, if only to avenge him. Personally, I’m leery of some of the alibis already presented, but I’ll take a closer look into them later. However, the motive for his death all seems to be tied to the black sphere, which I know next to nothing about. It seems that Gavilar had it, and as such I would advise that the current holder keep very quiet about it, to ensure their survival.

As for what I was doing last cycle, I was item spying Dalinar. I won’t reveal the results needlessly, but if I’m accused for some reason I do know the name of one of the items he has, that I gleaned from the scan. 

RP later when I’m less tired, and more motivated. Sorry. 

Szeth breathed out slowly. Why were all of the guests blaming the Parshendi? Was it simply that they were different, and thus easy to blame? He stepped forwards towards the crowd.

"Brightlords and Brightladies, I invite you to consider our motives," Szeth said. "The Parshendi had no reason to kill Gavilar. While it seems like the black sphere he held was coveted by many, the Parshendi see no value in it. Why would they kill for it?" He looked across the faces of the guests intently. "If this black sphere was a weapon, perhaps one connected to these strange dilation of time we were experiencing, or with any other sort of power, I can understand why a diplomat would try to stop Alethkar from using it. However, as far as we know, it is just a pretty bauble. I would look first to those who placed any value in this black sphere to find Gavilar's murderer."

Aesudan stared at Gavilar's broken form. It was a shame; he was a great king. A mind as sharp as a shardblade, an astute and naturally talented politician, and a true visionary. It took a special kind of person to draw in the likes of the Blackthorn and Torol working under the same banner.

Elhokar would be a good king as well, but for different reasons. He was a genuinely good person. He could get along with virtually anybody, and he was well liked by practically all of the highprinces. Those skills might even be what Alethkar needed most, with the treaty in such dire straits. Perhaps he could mend the divide that was starting to appear.

And, of course, Aesudan would make a fabulous queen, obviously. A political disaster waiting to happen? She would prove Wit wronger than wrong on that count. She was the most brilliant political mind ever to grace this earth, and she knew this to be fact, because all her ardents insisted it was true. Repeatedly. She could probably do a fantastic job of tending to the city of Kholinar singlehandedly, if for some reason Elhokar was busy elsewhere. What could possibly go wrong?

But she was getting ahead of herself. Gavilar's death in such a public setting was problematic. There were scores of foreign dignitaries, not to mention the Parshendi, and they could not help but see this as a sign of Alethi weakness. This would require a careful hand. Aesudan would no doubt need to discuss with the other princedoms. She made her way towards Ialai.

"What do you make of all this?"

Thank you all for your Alibis. Ialai, do you mind sharing what you Cooperated with Dalinar for?

Also, Beggar, you've posted, but haven't said an alibi. It would be helpful if you did.

Anyway, revised list:

1. Elhokar
  2. Beggar
  3. Ash
  4. Eshonai
  5. Klade

Navani nodded and accepted each alibi as it came. Some would be fake, she thought, but hopefully the liars would be exposed in due time. For the meantime, Navani listened to the Shin servant, the one the Parshendi had brought in. He argued against one of the Parsh being the murderer, and Navani patiently waited until after he'd spoken to finish.

"It's not just a pretty bauble, servant." She raised her voice now, so the whole party could hear. "When Gavilar, Jasnah and I studied the Black Sphere, we figured out what it really was. This sphere is not just some decoration, it houses one of the Unmade themselves!"

Gasps broke out among the crowd.

"We do not know its use, but the sphere holds one of the great monsters we call Unmade, and so we. Must. Destroy it!"

OOC: Liss liked reading.  In fact, she had read a series called the "Stormlight Archive".  She didnt know why, but she felt a strange connection a charecter that shared a namesake with her.

Anyway, Liss started to point out that we dont have a WoB or a book to confirm yet that there are unmade inside the spheres.  Then she realized that this isnt some fictional universe were everything was published in a book for entertainment.  This was the real world.

She bit back what she was about to say.

Do you have any information on how to destroy the sphere? (If possible).  The unmade are legends, they can't really die can they?

We obviously dont want to let the unmade out either... So, how do we know that any action we take won't release it into the world?  Would it not be safer just to leave it how it is?

Edited by SE_Liss
Added in charecter post.

"I understand why you may want to leave it as it is, Liss. For what ever is left untouched, should not be able to change. However, this sphere is different. There are many people here this evening who would like to get ahold of it and release this demon. They believe that a desolation of that type is exactly what would be needed in order to allow Roshar to progress again. I believe that I know of a way to destroy it, purely theoretical, therefore, if you have information about the sphere, please either contact Navani or me, because we, and some of our close friends have a plan set in place to destroy it." Jasnah said.  

After pausing a moment to get a drink, she continued. "Whoever killed Gavilar now has all of the objects he has, so it is imperative that we locate who that was, and get that sphere."

I would actually suggest the opposite. I know it is imperative that we scan everyone as soon as possible, but if we state it in thread, whoever has it would know who is on to them. May I suggest discussing who you will scan in your individual docs, and just do what you can to not scan the same person as others? That will keep information safe until after the scans have gone through, keeping everyone safer. I know that this is kindof opposite of the PM/Doc safety Idea, but I think that that idea doesn't apply in this case. 

*Eshonai hummed to Consolation*

I am truly sorry for the death of your king.

*Eshonai hummed to Annoyance*

I do not see why you are pointing fingers at my people for this.  We have no desire to jeopardize this peace treaty.  In fact, I will dedicate myself to finding your king's killer.  

For those of you who are pointing to the books as a potential for the Parshendi being involved with the killing, we are far from the events that took place to bring that about.  All I have in my possession are a few spheres.

As for my alibi?  I have no corroboration, but I took my action to protect last night.

What I have been doing, is if there is an obvious alliance between people, I will not discuss who I am spying in that Doc.  for instance, the obvious example is the parshendi. If I wanted to item spy on Eshonai, I would not say so in any doc with Venli or Klade.  There are other groups of people like this, so as a general rule, I think it works. (Just using Eshonai as an example as Amaram already put her name out there.)

@SE_Eshonai (just out here for the notification)

Eshonai, I think in general, people are pointing fingers at anybody who hasn't posted an alibi yet.  And then there are some alibi's that are weaker than others.

With a lack of corrobation, would you mind providing some extra details? Definitely who did you protect, and, if you are willing, why?

Edited by SE_Liss

Amaram, I feel like that is just as likely to lead us down a while goose chase as it will find someone.  For instance, if they kill someone who is targeting someone else, then that logic will cast suspicion on the innocent and not the guilty.  Perhaps they have a really strong alibi and are not under suspicion at all right now, so have nothing to lose from targeting someone semi-random.  Basically, I think we need more raw data before we can start inferring from said data.

Though, perhaps after this turn, we will have enough information to make those calls... What I am nervous about is someone will transfer items that mark them as guilty if they know people are suspicious of them.  Then we have to action and item spy... And I personally don't think that doing both is viable.

Edited by SE_Liss
word choice edits for the sake of clarity of post