Long Game 49/Anonymous Game 3: Window to the Past

little wilson

5 hours ago, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

Navani hadn't said much lately. She decided to say something. Anything. The first thing that came to her mind.

"I like cheese."

Storms! Hopefully no one had heard that.

I don’t even want to know where they get the milk for it on Roshar... :blink:

2 hours ago, SE_Restares said:

I think any of the Sons would have had a motive to kill Thaidakar, as well as Jasnah/Liss. I don't think the Ghostbloods are/were too well liked.

Thaidakar was a decent enough fellow, once you got to know him. I can see why other secret society peoples might be out to get him, but I doubt it has much to do with likeability.

Edit: also, not to quibble on specifics too much, but isn’t ommiting information from a post after the fact frowned upon?

Edited by SE_Aesudan_Kholin

48 minutes ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

Edit: also, not to quibble on specifics too much, but isn’t ommiting information from a post after the fact frowned upon?

Depends on the situation. Generally it is, but if it, fore example, contained a claim about game-play mechanics that someone decided to run past the GM's,there's not much harm to it. I don't know what was originally in Jasnah's post though.

Beggar had been wrong, as he usually was in cases like this. Investigations had never been Beggar's strong suit; he preferred situations with obvious solutions, such as an openly hostile enemy or an unopened bottle of wine. His current dilemma involved trading a bottle of sapphire wine for a greater amount of alcohol. The brief burst of sanity he'd experienced upon seeing Sadeas's lifeless body had evaporated, leaving behind his usual drunken self. He walked up to a passing servant who was carrying several glasses of wine and ordered a bottle of orange wine. Seeing the servant's hesitant expression, Beggar added that the wine was to be used to toast Sadeas's life. The servant hurried away, whether to retrieve the wine or merely to get away from the disheveled drunkard Beggar didn't know. 

“I apologize for not voicing this sooner, but I have some evidence that may be pertinent.

Restares performed an Item Spy on Jasnah the cycle before she was attacked. Furthermore, I just learned he was also apparently inquiring into ways to steal an item. I already shared this information with Jasnah, which may be part of the reason behind her vote.

On the other hand, Jasnah claims to have only had violet wine at the time, which she has since passed off, and it seems strange that Restares would have any interest in violet wine.

I decided it is best if I share the facts I know with everybody.”

Szeth watched the other members of the party, and thought.

His orders were to ensure the party ran smoothly by any means necessary, such as helping the servants. The presence of murderers among them -- known or suspected -- would only raise tensions higher. The rational course of action was to ostracize all of them, and hope no other murders happened. After all, the worst case scenario was that someone innocent would be prevented from entering the palace until the party was over. The lack of death to the other partygoers would be worth the political embarrassment of a few.

Szeth glanced at all of the alleged murderers. To the left stood Ialai, whose grief showed in the hunch of her back and wavering, watery shine of her eyes. On the right was Restares, who somehow thought that the religious figures of Vorinism would be returned by the death of all but one partygoers. Ideally he would ostracize both, but if he had to pick only one, the choice was clear. The zealot (Restares) would have to go.

There's nothing more to say; they are just rumors. Why would I care to attack Jasnah? I am on very good terms with the king and his family. I'm certain that he will invite me back in shortly if I become exiled from the party. As for the slowing of time, well, I've always felt like time goes slower when serious matters are on the line. I suspect it was all just a matter of perception.

“Perception. Interesting that you should bring that up. I’ve read some fascinating essays on how spren respond to perception. Perhaps this is the origin of timespren? This would be an interesting topic for further research I think. @SE_Navani_Kholin, this touches on your area of expertise. What do you make of it?”

1 hour ago, SE_Restares said:

There's nothing more to say; they are just rumors. Why would I care to attack Jasnah? I am on very good terms with the king and his family. I'm certain that he will invite me back in shortly if I become exiled from the party. As for the slowing of time, well, I've always felt like time goes slower when serious matters are on the line. I suspect it was all just a matter of perception.

"To my knowledge, my good friend Restares," I stare around the room, making sure everyone is listening, "had neither the motive nor the opportunity to attack my daughter."

"AHEM. All cremlings and female cremlings. I have been taking some time to come up with an eulogy for Sadeas."
I stood up on top of the last chull that was in the dining hall. I had been keeping anyone from taking it out, as it made a useful thing to stand on.
"Sadeas as we all know was one of my favorite people. To make fun of. So his death is quite a blow to my entertainment. And I feel like getting one last jab at him is a good way to conclude our relationship. So what kind of a man was Sadeas? Well- he was a horrible man who would do anything to get power. Or women. Or dignity, although he never quite managed to get the last one. But at the same time, he did do some nice things. Once, he sent his mother a card. Another time, he showed real affection to his wife that he didn't show to the whores. And once he did a glorious trip on his clothes, which was one of my single favorite moments in this court. I had never seen the vivid color on his face before then. He kept the bruise on his knees for at least a week, a true tribute to his embarrassment. However, I do have to give it to him- he helped Dalinar conquer this nation. And that is admirable, even if he did his best to gain as much as possible from doing so, and with as little morals as possible. The sad fact that he died because of his wife, accident or not, is truly hilarious. One cannot help but wonder if perhaps she was at all jealous of the other women Torol had seen before? I cannot say for sure, but it doesn't matter. Learning the exact situation would take some of the joy of guessing how Torol could have died out of this. So, while I will miss insulting his face that looked like a mossy rock, his hands that looked like sausages, his face which could produce the colors of the most vibrant vegetables, and a brain of a chull, I salute Torol Sadeas. I salute your insultability, and I send you with insults off to whatever lies beyond the realm of spirit. May whoever is on the other side pick up on what I saw on you, and continue the tradition of bringing out the most unusual colors in Torol's face, which is truly an art worth learning."

Edited by SE_Wit

7 hours ago, SE_Aesudan_Kholin said:

“Perception. Interesting that you should bring that up. I’ve read some fascinating essays on how spren respond to perception. Perhaps this is the origin of timespren? This would be an interesting topic for further research I think. @SE_Navani_Kholin, this touches on your area of expertise. What do you make of it?”

Navani turned at Aesudan.

"Spren are highly interesting things. We have yet to discover whether spren can be created, to put it lightly, but it is theorised. For example, musicspren couldn't have existed until we created music, correct? And so we believe that by creating something completely new, something innovative enough, a spren could be 'birthed', to say. This idea is amazing when you consider how we can make fabrials with the spren. We haven't even made fabrials on all the known spren yet. Imagine if we could create new spren to make fabrials from? Alethi technology would skyrocket!"

Navani, took a deep breath, realised she was getting very excited, and composed herself.

"That, of course, is highly theoretical. You are correct, my dear Aesudan, when it comes to Perception. It has appeared through testing that something such as taking measurements or a drawing of a spren can change its values. We are testing how this works, and whether it makes a difference in fabrials whether a spren is Perceived a certain way or not. If we, for example, perceived a spren as more efficient, would a fabrial made from that spren be more efficient to use than a fabrial from a normal spren of the same type? It really is fascinating."

"Nale, or Darkness, as some are apparently calling you. I have heard many times that you are investigating my daughyers attack. I have also heard from uncredible sources that you were the one to attack her. Credible sources have told me you have a Shardblade.

A lot of things don't add up about you. I followed you earlier, and you took no action to try to find the killer stalking our feast halls. I want to know if you're taking my daughter's attack seriously or not."

Also, to avoid unfortunate misunderstandings, i want this to be public knolwedge. I and several helpers will be attacking Drunk Beggar tonight. Someone will be protecting Beggar, so he won't die. Beggar was the one who planned this, and volunteered for it.

25 minutes ago, SE_Gavilar_Kholin said:

I have heard many times that you are investigating my daughyers attack. I have also heard from uncredible sources that you were the one to attack her. Credible sources have told me you have a Shardblade.

A lot of things don't add up about you. I followed you earlier, and you took no action to try to find the killer stalking our feast halls. I want to know if you're taking my daughter's attack seriously or not."

Also, to avoid unfortunate misunderstandings, i want this to be public knolwedge. I and several helpers will be attacking Drunk Beggar tonight. Someone will be protecting Beggar, so he won't die. Beggar was the one who planned this, and volunteered for it.

Regarding Nale, he has claimed to have had a non-murderous win condition involving action spying the turn Jasnah was attacked. He later claimed that he forgot to take an action that turn.

I can confirm that I volunteered to be attacked by Gavilar this turn. Protection has been arranged, but if anyone has a protection based win condition they're welcome to help.

The servant never came back with the wine Beggar had ordered. Unfortunate, but not unexpected. A man of his appearance and demeanour could not be expected to work for one such as the late Sadeas. He would have to be content with the one bottle he did have. Retrieving it from his cloak, Beggar took a sip of the sapphire liquid. He was not unduly afraid of the imminent attempt on his life. He had challenged Death repeatedly over the years, and lost on more than one occasion. This would just be one more time he made himself the target of violence so that others could be kept safe. If he did fall though, he wanted to do so with the familiar taste of wine on his lips and the reassuring flow of alcohol through his veins. He would drink the bottle of sapphire slowly, making it last as long as possible. If he survived, his search for wine would resume.

8 hours ago, SE_Navani_Kholin said:

Navani turned at Aesudan.

"Spren are highly interesting things. We have yet to discover whether spren can be created, to put it lightly, but it is theorised. For example, musicspren couldn't have existed until we created music, correct? And so we believe that by creating something completely new, something innovative enough, a spren could be 'birthed', to say. This idea is amazing when you consider how we can make fabrials with the spren. We haven't even made fabrials on all the known spren yet. Imagine if we could create new spren to make fabrials from? Alethi technology would skyrocket!"

Navani, took a deep breath, realised she was getting very excited, and composed herself.

"That, of course, is highly theoretical. You are correct, my dear Aesudan, when it comes to Perception. It has appeared through testing that something such as taking measurements or a drawing of a spren can change its values. We are testing how this works, and whether it makes a difference in fabrials whether a spren is Perceived a certain way or not. If we, for example, perceived a spren as more efficient, would a fabrial made from that spren be more efficient to use than a fabrial from a normal spren of the same type? It really is fascinating."

Now that’s a fascinating idea. So what you’re saying is, for example, if we created a theory that time is relative or some such nonsense (we could maybe call it “the theory of relativity”) and tricked enough shmucks into believing in it, then we could create new spren and thus new fabrials that control the flow of time itself??

This is most interesting!

1 hour ago, SE_Ash said:

Ash turned the strange time fabrial over in her hands. The chulls hadn't squashed it, luckily, although one had stepped on what appeared to be the on switch. Ash flipped the switch a few times and watched the guests jump as they noticed the dilation.

It looked like the flow of time was doing a jig. Something was seriously wrong.

“We better find that fabrial soon...”

Klade frowned as time seemed to lurch forward and stop repeatedly. Someone had obviously found the fabrial. He walked around the room, looking for the person who was fiddling with the fabrial. Finally he found the person who had messed with the fabrial. "Brightness, please return that fabrial to its creators so time can progress at its natural pace." He took a closer look at the woman who held it. He didn't know who she was, oddly enough.