7 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I'm fine with an epic that can singlehandedly destroy a city if other peoples are fine with that, but I have two concerns:

• If reference point is the only restriction, then she can still see the Moon / Venus / stars / other celestial objects, and these objects do have a quite significant relative velocity to the earth. Even if she could not directly transfer these to the earth itself, transfering that much energy to basically any object located in her vicinity could still spectacularly destroy the planet, not to mention wreaking cosmic levels of havoc on whatever celestial body she shifted momentum from.
  • The few epic powers that could quickly destroy a city all have caveats. Even Obliteration needs to spend weeks soaking up heat before he can level a city, whereas this sounds significantly less restricted. The cloud-shifting technique could be performed near instantly, relatively effortlessly, and from a safe distance, by sending a large heavy object flying towards the city (note also that on a smaller scale, she could also quickly kill most high epics, since the books mention that city-destroying levels of power such as nuclear bombs can kill most high epics). This possibly sounds like it could be significantly more dangerous than the most destructive epic powers seen or talked about in the Reckoners books.

There is a limit to her range so anything outside of the atmosphere would be out.
Well canonically there are Earthquake Epics who could pretty easily level a city, their restriction was that they couldn't do something precise. And she can take down the structure of a city pretty quickly but it's not on Obliterations level of instant death to everyone in the city.

6 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Well, clouds aren't really an object, more like a bunch of small particles moving in the generally same direction, and since MV can't see each individual particle, I'd say that wouldn't work.

I mean technically everything is just a bunch of small particles, she doesn't need to be able to see at the atomic level to shift it, canonically she's already shifted things into the air when she was in the Dalles.

The limitations on her were that she was unaware of a lot of what she could do with her powers (and still is at the moment), and isn't likely to find out, particularly if she becomes Redeemed. But yes, she is definitely one of the more OP characters out there.

57 minutes ago, Voidus said:

There is a limit to her range so anything outside of the atmosphere would be out.
Well canonically there are Earthquake Epics who could pretty easily level a city, their restriction was that they couldn't do something precise. And she can take down the structure of a city pretty quickly but it's not on Obliterations level of instant death to everyone in the city.

I mean technically everything is just a bunch of small particles, she doesn't need to be able to see at the atomic level to shift it, canonically she's already shifted things into the air when she was in the Dalles.

The limitations on her were that she was unaware of a lot of what she could do with her powers (and still is at the moment), and isn't likely to find out, particularly if she becomes Redeemed. But yes, she is definitely one of the more OP characters out there.

I thought she was already redeemed? Or does she just not use her powers frequently enough to be relatively nice?

Also, I had a horrifying concept. Someone just saying the word butterfly would probably make them really uneasy, if not panicky, visibly so. A smart observer might be able to put two and two together. Perhaps Liam says his code name and Megan asks, “What’s yours? Agent Butterfly?” because they’re colorful and flighty. That triggers their weakness enough and visibly enough for at least several interested parties to overhear. Their powers would probably short out for, let’s say, fifteen minutes— a timer that resets every time someone says it- and a half hour is they say “my butterfly.” 

Perhaps Quietus hears it. Or maybe the word gets around to Taya, which then gets around to Nighthound. Seeing such a powerful Epic show have such a dramatic break down, well, it’s enough to make any sadistic jerk face sit up and take note. And given their history with that exact personality type, well, they wouldn’t even need to be constantly exposed to their weakness.

That happening to Kokichi sure would suck. Hopefully Megan doesn’t accidentally trigger their weakness (and their severe PTSD with it)! That sure would be a shame.

She's used them relatively infrequently on her trip up here but not Redeemed at the moment, I figured I should show that scene in-game rather than skipping over it in the gap between WHIO and now.

31 minutes ago, Voidus said:

She's used them relatively infrequently on her trip up here but not Redeemed at the moment, I figured I should show that scene in-game rather than skipping over it in the gap between WHIO and now.

Sounds like a plan. If I don’t end up completely emotionally, physically, and psychologically demolishing Kokichi, they might end up redeemed.

anyway, I’m learning Japanese for some reason and so you all are going to be subjected to the probability irrelevant fact that their epic name is spelled 木吉 (first Kanji meaning tree/wood and second meaning good luck), while their original last name which they’ve tried to burry due to it being literally their weakness in Japanese is 蝶— Chiyou (pronounced Chee-yew-uh). Their weakness only triggers in English, though, cause I don’t want things to be too easy. 

9 hours ago, winter devotion said:

Them.

Maybe. That seems like a good idea, but how would we get them together? The trio the van’s got going now seems pretty solid, though I’d be up for increasing it to a five person band.

I should probably mention, Taya’s currently delayed plan involved finding an in for the Circle’s mission :unsure:

8 hours ago, winter devotion said:

But it is a huge coincidence? 

Yep, pretty much. Epoch’s gonna lose it :lol:

5 hours ago, Voidus said:

A range limitation sounds more reasonable. I also like the structural damage thing, which is probably tier 4-5 on your scale, but not gamebreaking.

Would she be able to do this with a single cloud, or would it require full cloud cover? Also, would she be able to target a fraction of the city with the same destructive force to achieve Obliteration-tier destruction in that area?

3 hours ago, winter devotion said:

I thought she was already redeemed? Or does she just not use her powers frequently enough to be relatively nice?

Also, I had a horrifying concept. Someone just saying the word butterfly would probably make them really uneasy, if not panicky, visibly so. A smart observer might be able to put two and two together. Perhaps Liam says his code name and Megan asks, “What’s yours? Agent Butterfly?” because they’re colorful and flighty. That triggers their weakness enough and visibly enough for at least several interested parties to overhear. Their powers would probably short out for, let’s say, fifteen minutes— a timer that resets every time someone says it- and a half hour is they say “my butterfly.” 

Perhaps Quietus hears it. Or maybe the word gets around to Taya, which then gets around to Nighthound. Seeing such a powerful Epic show have such a dramatic break down, well, it’s enough to make any sadistic jerk face sit up and take note. And given their history with that exact personality type, well, they wouldn’t even need to be constantly exposed to their weakness.

That happening to Kokichi sure would suck. Hopefully Megan doesn’t accidentally trigger their weakness (and their severe PTSD with it)! That sure would be a shame.

That really would be a sparking shame, wouldn’t it.

4 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I should probably mention, Taya’s currently delayed plan involved finding an in for the Circle’s mission :unsure:

Yep, pretty much. Epoch’s gonna lose it :lol:

A range limitation sounds more reasonable. I also like the structural damage thing, which is probably tier 4-5 on your scale, but not gamebreaking.

Would she be able to do this with a single cloud, or would it require full cloud cover? Also, would she be able to target a fraction of the city with the same destructive force to achieve Obliteration-tier destruction in that area?

That really would be a sparking shame, wouldn’t it.

Me and Edge have been chatting about this— they’ll probably end up with Nighthound. So maybe Taya ends up joining their mission, she’s the one who accidentally sets it off, then Nighthound figures it out based on that. Of course, this depends on how long it takes for her to get the motivator. How long are you thinking, in story time?

Yeah she's a solid 5 if she has enough momentum to work with but not world-ending. That'd be some pretty substantial cloud cover and a relatively windy day. Not a full on horizon-to-horizon storm but pretty heavy rainclouds. (I'd need to do a lot more research in meteorology to give a moreaccurate answer)

It'd be hard for her to achieve Obliteration level destruction, maybe if she went block by block but the difference is that as long as people avoid getting hit by debris then they have a chance at survival, unless she goes person by person and just shifts the momentum into people directly (Which is definitely possible and almost certainly instant death for whoever she shifts it into, but would also be pretty slow going and would have some pretty weird consequences with the weather)

11 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Me and Edge have been chatting about this— they’ll probably end up with Nighthound. So maybe Taya ends up joining their mission, she’s the one who accidentally sets it off, then Nighthound figures it out based on that. Of course, this depends on how long it takes for her to get the motivator. How long are you thinking, in story time?

Man, here I'm just going with the flow and somehow you guys manage accidentally set up everything for the worst case scenario. :P

Anyway, I'm going to make time once the Nighthound bit gets involved, no matter what, so as far as I'm concerned setting it off ingame happens whenever Drake manages to set things up.

8 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Man, here I'm just going with the flow and somehow you guys manage accidentally set up everything for the worst case scenario. :P

Anyway, I'm going to make time once the Nighthound bit gets involved, no matter what, so as far as I'm concerned setting it off ingame happens whenever Drake manages to set things up.

It’s kinda interesting how much we’ve set up around nighthound. I wonder how this roleplay would’ve gone if we hadn’t resurected him like this.

38 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

It’s kinda interesting how much we’ve set up around nighthound. I wonder how this roleplay would’ve gone if we hadn’t resurected him like this.

Have we set it up around Nighthound specifically? A lot of the pieces seem to have fallen into place just through coincidence.

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Well, that sounds horrifying :P

They would share memories then or something? Or would Taya end up telling him?

58 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

I’ll try to set things up as best I can. A few things still need to fall in place, such as Taya moving forward with her current situation, and the motivator actually getting built if it hasn’t yet.

49 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Introducing Nighthound has definitely added some interesting dynamics, but it may not have subtracted from other things.

1 minute ago, Drake Marshall said:

I’ll try to set things up as best I can. A few things still need to fall in place, such as Taya moving forward with her current situation, and the motivator actually getting built if it hasn’t yet.

Introducing Nighthound has definitely added some interesting dynamics, but it may not have subtracted from other things.

I assumed they watch what the other is doing from some sorta mindscape, maybe adding snarky comments when the other’s doing something they don’t like, but that’s between you two. 

I feel like maybe if you want to develop her a bit more first, you can have the motivator be already built but in a separate facility. Or maybe Karabiner has it, explaining why she’d meet up with the fam.

7 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

4 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I assumed they watch what the other is doing from some sorta mindscape, maybe adding snarky comments when the other’s doing something they don’t like, but that’s between you two. 

I feel like maybe if you want to develop her a bit more first, you can have the motivator be already built but in a separate facility. Or maybe Karabiner has it, explaining why she’d meet up with the fam.

If it's after the merge, I assume some kind of shared perception. The memories from before that are another matter.Which, I don't think Taya want's to look that his breain that in-depth.

What was the plan for the motivator again? It already being made from people that manged to get their hands on some valuable healing and possibly controling people DNA or it being made from stuff Red carries around? I remember both being thrown around.

Would need to be fresh so I don't think it could be retroactively made from anything Red has, my suggestion originally was that PPPP and Saccharine are vaguely in the vicinity either now or in the past (Not as viewpoint characters though) and managed to snag some at some point.

2 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Would need to be fresh so I don't think it could be retroactively made from anything Red has, my suggestion originally was that PPPP and Saccharine are vaguely in the vicinity either now or in the past (Not as viewpoint characters though) and managed to snag some at some point.

Those two are more plausible. 

3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Right, those two would make most sense all things considered.

23 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Just for the origin though, we could have the Motivator pass through a number of hands and arrive in Karabiner's hold for Taya to get it.

Sounds good to me. He's actually been kind of bored in my head, just waiting for everybody to kill him, maybe hitting an Epic or two for new devices. He could totally get the Motivator on-screen if an Epic he targets has it.

I'm beginning to regret this. I started with What Happened in Portland and have been copying and pasting stuff into a google doc for ease of pasting. I'm on page 4 of Portland. I'm on page 80 of the google doc. I think there's probably a better way to do this.

1 minute ago, Kidpen said:

I'm beginning to regret this. I started with What Happened in Portland and have been copying and pasting stuff into a google doc for ease of pasting. I'm on page 4 of Portland. I'm on page 80 of the google doc. I think there's probably a better way to do this.

Smaller font?