Tournament: Cosmere Character Roast Battles

On 2/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, Ashspren said:

This is finally back guys... 

I'd like to apologize for the extremely long wait. Life has been crazy right now, but that's really no excuse for me being so inconsiderate. That being said, let the next round begin... 

Team 1:   
@ILuvHats, with Frost! 
@John203, with Hoid!

Team 2:    
@Kidpen, with Dilaf!   
@Ark1002, with Venli!

Theme: Your roast must be based around bad metaphors... or similes, for that matter. 

Twist: Your entire roast must be composed of limericks. 

Good luck!

Umm, crap, sorry, I've got to try and make it. Could you please extend the time a bit?

Spoiler

I am the winner, the victor, a Singer

Scientist, storyteller, Voidbringer

I'll beat you so bad

that you'll go mad

The roasts will be flying, fired by the gunslinger

Coward, weakling, dragon, Frost

You, going up against me, that's gonna cost

You hide in your hole

like a mole

Not a dragon, but that's been glossed

I'm Venli, servant of Odium, smart as an owl

Singer's come running if I so much as scowl

I have forms of power,

like some beautiful flower

I'll beat you failures, beat you until you howl

Hoid, Hoid, Hoid, powerful, unwise

You're a failure, open your eyes

Telling strange stories,

born in laboratories

You've lost easy, something I despise

You know I've won, first place

But sure, stick around, just in case

Each a tyke

I'll win like

Hitting someone over the head with a mace

Okay, it might be crap, but I finished.

Edited by Ark1002

On 2/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, John203 said:

The two spaces after a period thing was standard practice for typewriters, but nowadays, it is out of favor. (So out of favor, when we get resumés at work, we throw out any that double space after a period.)

Wow, ok. I did not realize it was taken that seriously in professional fields. I mean I’ve written resumes before (which I probably double spaced), but they weren’t for highly sought positions, per say, so I still got the job. But wow. I guess it’s time for me to reform. And I just realized I double spaced this entire post so now I need to go back and edit it. From now on, if any of you see me double spacing, give me a friendly, metaphorical slap in the face.

Edited by ILuvHats

While we're waiting...  I'm a two-spacer because A, we used MLA format in my English classes, so I had to either pick up the habit or get bad grades on all my essays; and B, using two spaces after a sentence makes for a smoother reading experience.  (Depending on the font used.  And depending on whether or not seeing someone use two spaces after every sentence drives you crazy.)

Found an article on the subject that's not really conclusive, but is entertaining enough to be worth a read:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/05/04/one-space-between-each-sentence-they-said-science-just-proved-them-wrong-2/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2a25f59a046a

Anyways.  Good work on those roasts, ILuvHats, John203, Kidpen, and Ark1002!  Limericks and bad metaphors.  What a theme.

4 hours ago, Zath said:

While we're waiting...  I'm a two-spacer because A, we used MLA format in my English classes, so I had to either pick up the habit or get bad grades on all my essays; and B, using two spaces after a sentence makes for a smoother reading experience.  (Depending on the font used.  And depending on whether or not seeing someone use two spaces after every sentence drives you crazy.)

I am so glad MLA no longer requires that. I still hate MLA format, but now I hate it a little less.

Spoiler

Please don't be offended?

I second the sentiment. At the very least, I'd like to see this round wrapped up. I know it would make the votes more public than they have been in past, but at your end I think the easiest solution would be to edit the OP to make a poll instead of doing it through Google surveys. That can be done quickly, and if you can't get on in a timely manner again, it will be easy to tell who won. 

Alternatively, someone could be appointed to make the poll and collect votes. The ideal candidate would be a non contestant, but if you have trouble finding someone, shoot me a PM. 

I'm okay if you need to put the competition on pause for a while, but I would like clarity about what the plan is going forward. (Also, it would be nice if you'd give us an update so we know you didn't get a concussion or something. We're worried about ya.)

On 3/2/2019 at 6:14 AM, Felt said:

@Ashspren I understand busy but two weeks of no posts is more like "don't give a...." 

Maybe you can apoint someone to help you with the thread?

20 hours ago, Archer said:

I second the sentiment. At the very least, I'd like to see this round wrapped up. I know it would make the votes more public than they have been in past, but at your end I think the easiest solution would be to edit the OP to make a poll instead of doing it through Google surveys. That can be done quickly, and if you can't get on in a timely manner again, it will be easy to tell who won. 

Alternatively, someone could be appointed to make the poll and collect votes. The ideal candidate would be a non contestant, but if you have trouble finding someone, shoot me a PM. 

I'm okay if you need to put the competition on pause for a while, but I would like clarity about what the plan is going forward. (Also, it would be nice if you'd give us an update so we know you didn't get a concussion or something. We're worried about ya.)

I'm so sorry, everyone. Here's the link for this week: 

https://goo.gl/forms/uGUaqis4LutmBZV82

Recently, life has really picked up. I have a lot of time-consuming commitments that are stressing me out, and there are a few things going on with friends that I'm worried about. Starting now, I'm probably going to be on the Shard a lot less often, so having someone help me with this is a great idea. If anyone wants to volunteer, I can send them the document and form. @ILuvHats, @John203, @Kidpen, and whatever Ark is currently going by (I have no idea, sorry), I sincerely apologize for stretching out the voting for this long. 

And actually... that brings me to an announcement. After this tournament, I'm going to have someone else take over the Cosmere Character Roast Battle Tournament altogether. I am getting less and less time to make this work, and that's really unfair to everyone else involved. If anyone would be interested in doing so, please PM me and we can discuss the details. 

1 hour ago, Silva said:

@Arky-boi. I don't even want know why he changed it to that...

Don't worry about it. Life always should come first, no matter what. The Shard should just be a pleasant addition, not an added stress.

I concur with this sentiment. @Ashspren, you take care of yourself now. Hear?

@Ashspren No worries, it happens to the best of us- it’s happened to me numerous times (see Cosmere Codenames, Sanderson Elimination, and numerous online MAG games)! Good luck with the real life stuff! And hopefully we’ll see you back here soon- maybe as a contestant!;)

Also, I’ll volunteer to take over running the Cosmere Rap Battles if you can’t find anyone else. 

And the winner of this round is... @John203 with Hoid, and @ILuvHats with Frost! 

@Kidpen and @Arky-boi, go ahead and post your Returned names. I’ll send out the survey in advance. 

https://goo.gl/forms/In5zTmGFTQGa08Ag2

Also, I will be off the Shard for 1-2 weeks starting tomorrow. Good luck to everyone, and sorry again for the long waiting periods. 

Because @Kidpen is the only one who submitted a name... congrats, Kid! 

~~~ 

I have some important news. It’s sad, but it’s also a good thing— for everyone. 

IRL, a lot has been going on lately, and I won’t be able to spend much time on the Shard. Therefore, it is not ideal for anyone if I continue to run the tournament. Starting in this upcoming round, @Herowannabe and @John203 will be taking over! I’m so grateful for both of them. 

It’s been a lot of fun to run this, and I’m so glad that I got this opportunity. Hopefully I’ll be back soon... as a contestant. ;) 

3 hours ago, Ashspren said:

Because @Kidpen is the only one who submitted a name... congrats, Kid! 

~~~ 

I have some important news. It’s sad, but it’s also a good thing— for everyone. 

IRL, a lot has been going on lately, and I won’t be able to spend much time on the Shard. Therefore, it is not ideal for anyone if I continue to run the tournament. Starting in this upcoming round, @Herowannabe and @John203 will be taking over! I’m so grateful for both of them. 

It’s been a lot of fun to run this, and I’m so glad that I got this opportunity. Hopefully I’ll be back soon... as a contestant. ;) 

Thank you for all you've done @Ashspren, and we hope all goes well with your RL commitments! We also hope you'll be back soon as a contestant. ;)

To everyone else, please give @John203 and me a day or two to get our ducks in a row, and then we'll get the next round started. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Welcome to round 2 of the Tournament of Champions! We will have 4 competitions of 3 persons each. The best will be voted on, and progess to semi-finals. For this round, the twist is: swapping characters. The mega twist this round will be applied the same way every battle; the three participants will have their characters rotated among those three participants. Without further ado: @hoiditthroughthegrapevinenow with Sixth of the Dusk! @Herowannabenow battling as Taravangian! And last but not least, my sule @Felt as Galladon, kolo? You have 96 hours!

On 3/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, John203 said:

Welcome to round 2 of the Tournament of Champions! We will have 4 competitions of 3 persons each. The best will be voted on, and progess to semi-finals. For this round, the twist is: swapping characters. The mega twist this round will be applied the same way every battle; the three participants will have their characters rotated among those three participants. Without further ado: @hoiditthroughthegrapevinenow with Sixth of the Dusk! @Herowannabenow battling as Taravangian! And last but not least, my sule @Felt as Galladon, kolo? You have 96 hours!

A little over 14 hours left by my count! It's been a busy weekend, but I'll try to have my rap done and posted tomorrow.  @hoiditthroughthegrapevine @Felt