Confessions of Ashamed Sanderfans

What is something that you, as a Sanderfan, are ashamed of?

I, for example, have only read the Mistborn series all the way through once. I also believed - until I came on here - that Alcatraz was Hoid's backstory.

A certain someone on here who is a MAJOR influence on the forums and guilds ( as in, HUGE) didn't read the Stormlight Archive until a few weeks ago.

Are there any obvious jokes that you missed, books you haven't read, or opinions you hold (within the fanbase) that are extremely unpopular? Really stoopid theories? Embarrassing, cringy posts?

Confess!

You believed Alcatraz was Hoids backstory? That is honestly pretty bad. No offense.

I didn't read the Alcatraz note, or know what it said, until my second time reading 5.

Alcatraz spoilers:

Spoiler

I was so sad that that was how it ended for months. I was really confused.

(I'm nearly done the book Witless. Really.) 

Another one of my ahem literary shortcomings is the Wheel of Time series. I've never read it, and probably never will. I'm intimidated by its length. 

Another confession: I forgot who Zane was. When I first read mistborn he wasn't very memorable, so I forgot all about him. I was really confused when I saw someone reference him on the 17S for the first time. I had to look him up on the coppermind. 

Because of the way my brain stores information (long story involving synesthesia), I have difficulty remembering who's who when characters have names that are spelled similarly, especially when their names begin with the same letter.

This was waaaaay bad for me when I tried (and failed) to read the Wheel of Time series (which I've posted here on the 17th Shard already so won't bore you w/ that). There were so many, many characters and even places with similar names; real lack of creativity on Jordan's part IMO.

I also for some reason had trouble with Elhokar's name ... kept forgetting who he was ... until I hit on the strategy of calling him (in my head) El-Hokey-Doke. (It's OK, you can laugh at me - I deserve it. :huh:)

---- Also, @I am Witless, this is a great thread! Thanks for starting it!

Edited by Lump-wing
addition

3 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

Because of the way my brain stores information (long story involving synesthesia), I have difficulty remembering who's who when characters have names that are spelled similarly, especially when their names begin with the same letter.

I have synesthesia as well, grapheme-color, and this always happens to me. Also, the color a character's name is influences what I think their hair color should be. Because of this, I doubt I'll ever be able to reconcile myself to a blond Kelsier. Based on his name, his hair should be dark black! <_<:P

3 hours ago, Truthweaver said:

I have synesthesia as well, grapheme-color, and this always happens to me. Also, the color a character's name is influences what I think their hair color should be. Because of this, I doubt I'll ever be able to reconcile myself to a blond Kelsier. Based on his name, his hair should be dark black! <_<:P

Same type of synesthesia that I have - cool! For me all the letters (and numerals too) are unique colors; upper and lower case are the same color.

I don't associate letters with hair colors ... if I did, Kelsier's would be royal blue! IIRC, not even Aimians or Natanan-ians have blue hair! :lol:

38 minutes ago, Lump-wing said:

For me all the letters (and numerals too) are unique colors; upper and lower case are the same color.

Same for me too! Cool!

39 minutes ago, Lump-wing said:

I don't associate letters with hair colors ... if I did, Kelsier's would be royal blue!

Wow, I see Kelsier's name as royal blue as well! For some reason, a character with a dark blue name = dark hair color for me. I don't know why haha.

• Chaos locked this topic