Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

2 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, I made you this. I'm not sure if I got her right, but I tried. Happy birthday, I hope you have a Funtime.

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg

Your ability to do an art amazes me!

And happy birthday, TwiLyghtSansSparkles!

Edited by Nashan'Elin

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, I'm not sure whether I wished you happy birthday or not, so, to be sure:

HAPPY BIRTHDYA! BIRTHADY HYDRA! HAPPY HAIL HYDRA!

And now for something completely different:

and something random and something weird:

I cut myself. In the shower. With a shelf.

Did I level up in clumsiness or something?

7 hours ago, Quiver said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles

1heqko.jpg

...this is what you meant by the fully armed batallion, right @Deliiiiiightful?

This birthday wish is the one I deserve and the one I need right now. :ph34r: 

2 hours ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Your ability to do an art amazes me!

And happy birthday, TwiLyghtSansSparkles!

Thanks! ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, I'm not sure whether I wished you happy birthday or not, so, to be sure:

HAPPY BIRTHDYA! BIRTHADY HYDRA! HAPPY HAIL HYDRA!

And now for something completely different:

and something random and something weird:

I cut myself. In the shower. With a shelf.

Did I level up in clumsiness or something?

Now I'm wondering how many images we accused of whispering "Hail Hydra" were actually saying "Happy Birthday." :mellow::P 

That….that's actually kind of an achievement. :mellow: 

1 minute ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

:o

nice!

Happy Birthday @TwiLyghtSansSparkles! I haven't made you anything cool but now I want to.......how's the day going?

@Assassin in Burgundy Oh my gosh, I love Loca! :D:wub: 

You don't have to. I've already gotten so many cool things today—Bat-wishes for a Bat-birthday from Quiver, a Funtimes drawing from Honor Spren, a tribute from bleeder—I feel pretty spoiled. :P 

I had kind of a rough start, but it's going well now. My grandmother gave me some money for Christmas, so I used that to buy a birthday dinner for myself. My parents bought me a cake from a bakery here, and it looks pretty fantastic, so I'm going to get a slice of that later. And seriously, thank you all for the wishes and the e-presents. :wub: 

Okay, that was pretty funny. :lol: 

Though in fairness, I was raised in a very staunch creationist home, attended a creationist church, and read only creationist books, and I never heard the "Satan/God placed dinosaur fossils on Earth to lead us astray/test our faith" argument until I started visiting websites where it was presented as a legitimate representation of the creationist viewpoint. I don't doubt that there are some who might believe it, but from the majority of creationists I've interacted with, and the creationist literature I've read, I'm left to conclude that this is a fringe viewpoint within creationist circles.

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Okay, that was pretty funny. :lol: 

Though in fairness, I was raised in a very staunch creationist home, attended a creationist church, and read only creationist books, and I never heard the "Satan/God placed dinosaur fossils on Earth to lead us astray/test our faith" argument until I started visiting websites where it was presented as a legitimate representation of the creationist viewpoint. I don't doubt that there are some who might believe it, but from the majority of creationists I've interacted with, and the creationist literature I've read, I'm left to conclude that this is a fringe viewpoint within creationist circles.

I actually knew some mainstream Baptists who believed this growing up. 

It isn't fringe!

5 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

I actually knew some mainstream Baptists who believed this growing up. 

It isn't fringe!

Huh. :mellow: I grew up Pentecostal and the explanation I always heard was that carbon dating was unreliable and so those fossils had to be younger than archaeologists thought. I actually had a couple of picture books as a kid that hinted at that, and Twimom gave me books as an adult that gave that explanation. I seriously never heard the "dinosaur bones are either a test of faith or a Satanic Ponzi* scheme" thing before I heard it used by evolutionists in internet debates. 

*Yes, I know that such a plot wouldn't technically be a Ponzi scheme. But "Satanic Ponzi scheme" had such a good ring to it. :P 

Not to be a stickler for these things, but you can be a creationist and not come at it from a Young Earth perspective. There are plenty of Christians who believe most of what science proves about the age of the earth and natural history but just disagree with the theory of evolution as it stands and see the hand of God in all speciation events.

Just sayin'. ^_^

Time for some brain candy:

Blooms are 3-D printed sculptures designed to animate when spun under a strobe light. Unlike a 3D zoetrope, which animates a sequence of small changes to objects, a bloom animates as a single self-contained sculpture. The bloom’s animation effect is achieved by progressive rotations of the golden ratio, phi (ϕ), the same ratio that nature employs to generate the spiral patterns we see in pinecones and sunflowers. The rotational speed and strobe rate of the bloom are synchronized so that one flash occurs every time the bloom turns 137.5º (the angular version of phi).

Edited by The Invested Beard

Question to the USA Sharders!

I want to buy this shirt: https://www.heychickadee.com/products/reading-pusheen-relaxed-tee-womens?variant=1271443132 for my fiancee. The shirt costs $24 and that's fine. However, when I check the shipping prices to Poland, I'm a bit shocked. The website tells me that the cheapest way to sent this shirt to me would cost $25.59 AND it doesn't have shipment tracking o.O Is there really no cheaper and more reliable way to send an item from USA to EU? $25 is not a small amount of money by Polish standards :/ and it costs more than the shirt itself! (For comparison, sending a similar package to USA from Poland would cost only $13.5)

So, I'm at this stage of life where so many of the cultural touchstones that shaped my childhood and young adulthood are considered "history" by more and more people I interact with.  And it feels so weird.  Not in a 'myaaaah back in MY day!' sort of way, but in a way that makes me understand more and more why my parents and aunts and uncles and grandparents would tell me all the stories that they did when I was a kid.  Because I found myself in exactly that position over the weekend.

We had Second Christmas up at my mom's, with me and my husband and my brother and his family all together.  Since part of our vacation last year was at Kennedy Space Center, all of the kids got one space-themed gift.  The oldest nephew, B, got a Lego space shuttle that was pretty cool.  So B was asking us about our trip and what all was at the space center, and so we told him about the rocket garden and the trip out to the launch pads and the space shuttle launch simulator and, oh yeah, Atlantis is hanging inside one of the buildings and you can get a really close look at it now.

He was, naturally, curious about the shuttle program.  He wanted to know why we didn't have shuttles anymore.  That somehow led to us telling him about how two of the shuttles were lost and specifically about how the Challenger disaster happened when we were kids.  (James and I, at least.  My brother is too young to remember it, as he wasn't quite three when it happened.)

Me:  "We watched it live in class; I was in third grade when it happened."

B:  "That's what grade I'm in!"

So he insisted on seeing what I had seen, so we went onto YouTube and we pulled up a copy of the original video feed.  He saw the applause as the shuttle lifted off, and witnessed those moments before people knew things were about to go horribly wrong.  He saw the explosion and heard the stunned silence on the news channel.  And he heard the mission control guy struggle to keep his voice under control and professional, but you could hear the increase in stress and sorrow as realization set in that the shuttle had been lost.

It was still history, but for that moment it was a little more real.  And I get it now.  I get why all of my older relatives tell those stories, because they're not just stories.  They're pieces of their lives that in small ways, made them who they are.

3 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

Not to be a stickler for these things, but you can be a creationist and not come at it from a Young Earth perspective. There are plenty of Christians who believe most of what science proves about the age of the earth and natural history but just disagree with the theory of evolution as it stands and see the hand of God in all speciation events.

Just sayin'. ^_^

This is me. Anyone want to help me make some flyers?

49 minutes ago, WayneSpren said:

This is me. Anyone want to help me make some flyers?

what kind of flyers?

also , i consider myself an agnostic but i've met many religious people that agree with darwinian evolution , but belive that it is a phenomenon occuring  because god created the world in such a way (as well as saying that adam and eve were symbolic ) 

Edited by Manukos