Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

6 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I wonder when will the first suicide inspired by this show happen. In my opinion its a matter of time before some teenager records some tapes blaming others and commits suicide. 

I haven't watched the show and I don't really understand why it's so popular lately.

I've been waiting for that to happen to. From what I've heard the creators of the show were very irresponsible with their depictions of the pre-suicide environment and the suicide itself. Mental health care people have been freaking out about it. I really hope that everyone stays safe and doesn't learn the wrong things from the show, but I think it's only a matter of time. The fact that they're making a season two has me even more worried. 

Back to FMA: I would totally be down for a shard wide re-watch of either the original show or Brotherhood, except neither are available on American Netflix to stream right now:unsure:

59 minutes ago, Left said:

I've been waiting for that to happen to. From what I've heard the creators of the show were very irresponsible with their depictions of the pre-suicide environment and the suicide itself. Mental health care people have been freaking out about it. I really hope that everyone stays safe and doesn't learn the wrong things from the show, but I think it's only a matter of time. The fact that they're making a season two has me even more worried. 

Back to FMA: I would totally be down for a shard wide re-watch of either the original show or Brotherhood, except neither are available on American Netflix to stream right now:unsure:

Or Israeli Netflix :/ 

At the very least, and maybe its intent was, to open a conversation about suicide. And one article I read pointed at that maybe the target audience is not suicidal people, but the people around them who might not realise what they're going through, what teen go through, etc. etc. I dunno. 

10 minutes ago, Delightfully Smoak said:

At the very least, and maybe its intent was, to open a conversation about suicide. And one article I read pointed at that maybe the target audience is not suicidal people, but the people around them who might not realise what they're going through, what teen go through, etc. etc. I dunno. 

I think the message of the show is supposed to be for those people, the ones around depressed or suicidal teens/young adults, but I don't think the target Audience is the same group. The target audience seems to be younger people who are slightly to very socially outcast. Quieter people who may not have many friends, who spend more time online or reading than in social situations. It's really the same audience as for Coin Heist or Deidra and Laney Rob a Train. They're people like on the shard, who probably for the most part aren't or haven't been on the top of social hierarchies IRL, but may be very involved in internet life. We tend to be more likely to suffer from depression, bullying, or suicidal thoughts, largely because our introversion can stop us from making the friendships and social nets to protect us. Instead we tend to take solace in our books, our games, forums, or netflix.

So I think why it's created such an uproar among people involved in suicide prevention is because it's a show that they know a lot of statistically vulnerable people are going to watch, and instead of Coin Heist or Goonies which support being different but also friendship and family, it presents suicide as a valid option.
I personally don't have a problem with the show existing or anything. It could be used for a lot of good and raise awareness among people who don't know anything about the subject. But I think that the way it was released and marketed and presented was very dangerous because it teaches vulnerable teens and young adults very bad scripts, ways of thinking and acting, that could have Very dangerous consequences.

Just my two bits. I've taken some psychology courses, but haven't studied trauma or suicide in depth. Most of my opinion here comes from personal experience and my understanding of what I've read from people who Are experienced in the field.

38 minutes ago, Delightfully Smoak said:

I actually met the author of the book and he basically said that's who it's meant for. Granted, he also said that he wrote the book for people who wouldn't normally read that kind of stuff, including himself.

There are some things to take away from reading/watching it, but I think there are better ways to learn that lesson. After reading it, sure I learned things, but now I'm just hyperaware of my own depressing feelings and emotions. I started doubting my relationships even while reading it and had to force myself back into the right mindset. I liked the idea of the story, which is why I even read it in the first place, but personally, idk if it's really worth it. That's just my opinion though. You can have your own :) 

6 minutes ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Based on what I've read,  that's my impression of the book and show. Essentially a self- indulgent take on dealing with suicide. 

Yeah, I….

I haven't read the book, and I haven't seen the show. But from what I've heard, for someone like me who's fought depression and been suicidal on and off since she was 15, a story about a girl who essentially takes her own life as revenge, who does it and is finally vindicated….well, I don't think it would be a good message to absorb. I'm in a much better emotional place now, but it's still a struggle, and I don't want to take the risk. 

7 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Yeah, I….

I haven't read the book, and I haven't seen the show. But from what I've heard, for someone like me who's fought depression and been suicidal on and off since she was 15, a story about a girl who essentially takes her own life as revenge, who does it and is finally vindicated….well, I don't think it would be a good message to absorb. I'm in a much better emotional place now, but it's still a struggle, and I don't want to take the risk. 

And it comes off like that because it really isn't a story about why someone committed suicide. It's a story about a boy who is worried he caused his unrequited love to commit suicide... oh, no, wait,  he didn't, he's actually a good guy and he can bring those responsible to justice! 

Like I said, self-indulgent garbage. The focus is not really on identifying the mental anguish of the suicide victim but on the "poor fellow's conscience" who will never be able to ask her to the prom now <_<

1 hour ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Based on what I've read,  that's my impression of the book and show. Essentially a self- indulgent take on dealing with suicide. 

I've read YA books that deal with dark themed. This wasn't even any good.  

I'm also generally not a fan of censorship so....I think I'd rather have the show and have the discussion  than to ban it for everyone. 

I don't think anyone is considering censorship here. It's just the way this story is presented is unfortunate and potentially dangerous. 

Now something unrelated: I finally got myself a copy of Legion ^^ after I read it there won't be any published BS book I haven't read ^^

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

I don't think anyone is considering censorship here. It's just the way this story is presented is unfortunate and potentially dangerous. 

Now something unrelated: I finally got myself a copy of Legion ^^ after I read it there won't be any published BS book I haven't read ^^

I have seen many articles titled DONT WATCH IT/13 REASONS NOT TO WATCH IT/PETITION TO GRT IT BANNED FROM NETFLIX/NO ONE SHOULD BR WATCHING THIS.  

My favourite reaction so far is a group of students who created 13 Reasons Why Not to help struggling students. 

You mean Skin Deep?

1 minute ago, Delightfully Smoak said:

You mean Skin Deep?

Both Skin Deep and the short story about the camera that takes pictures of the past. They are published together in Poland, obviously with great cover:

Spoiler

4354_99906344354.jpg

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

Both Skin Deep and the short story about the camera that takes pictures of the past. They are published together in Poland, obviously with great cover:

Hide contents

4354_99906344354.jpg

Yup, Poland made an already good book better again. :P

I'm fond of the books, so hope you enjoy.