Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

1 minute ago, Kaymyth said:

Back on the exercise game, cause I ate way too much on vacation and gained some pounds. I need to remove this belly pudge; my heart and my knees will thank me.

ConQuesT in two weeks. I and my team will be making sure our four guests of honor are fed, happy, and in the right places at the right times. I also need to finish up the amigurumi gifts I am making. Because yarn. Yay yarn!

Most of your things listed were from the 80s. But the lack of Princess Bride kinda makes my heart sad. That one's the best of the bunch.

Yeah, but they seemed to be things 90's kids should have watched? Impression I got from them, coupled by the fact that I can't think of a decent 90's cultural milestone :P
(I DID see some of the Disney Renaissance films though. I remember sitting in a theatre and watching the first few minutes of Hunchback... but honestly, that is the ONLY part of the film I remember. I also saw Batman and Robin in cinema, but, um... I try not to think about that.-_-)

If it makes you feel better, I did catch some of Princess Bride in my first year at Uni? I now know what the emotional resonance of "As you wish," is :P

4 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Yeah, but they seemed to be things 90's kids should have watched? Impression I got from them, coupled by the fact that I can't think of a decent 90's cultural milestone :P
(I DID see some of the Disney Renaissance films though. I remember sitting in a theatre and watching the first few minutes of Hunchback... but honestly, that is the ONLY part of the film I remember. I also saw Batman and Robin in cinema, but, um... I try not to think about that.-_-)

If it makes you feel better, I did catch some of Princess Bride in my first year at Uni? I now know what the emotional resonance of "As you wish," is :P

Maybe...? I dunno, my childhood was firmly centered in the 80s, and these are all things I think of as my generation's touchstones. But I get your point, the 90s were just kind of...there. (You poor thing. I still quietly seethe at what they did with Batgirl.)

31 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I see your "Harry Potter" and raise you Back to the Future, the Princess Bride, the Karate Kid franchise, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action movies, the Aliens franchise...
...actually, ya know what? Name a thing that 90's kids were supposed to have watched, and I can pretty much guarantee I missed it :P I also didn't see X-Men 1 or 2 until they got DVD releases for some reason, and that was at the height of my status as an X-fan.

(Heck, think I was... what, 16 by the time I saw the Terminator films? And those have become one of my favorite movies ever, so)

Actually, remember at Uni, one of my friends was so horrified that I hadn't seen those pop cultural milestones that they asked if I had been raised in a convent.
BUT MY ANIME KNOWLEDGE (in our small social group) WAS SECOND TO NONE, SO I CLAIM A MORAL VICTORY.

Yeah, I haven't seen some of those *cue shocked looks*

9 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

The Tiffany Aching books are some of my favorites! I'll say the same for them- they really got me to start looking at the world around me. Not to mention the fact that they're hilarious.

They were some of my favourites for years. Still are a bit, in fact.

23 hours ago, A Budgie said:

The fact that that rhymes, combined with your sunglasses-wearing profile pic, half makes me think you're going to start rapping or something.
Please don't start rapping or something.

*bends over and lights joint

*breaths into camera

Dra dra draaaaa- the beat drops like old people with polio

Imma dish out these raps like jesus just so you know

Now don't call me some pretender cause I aint cause these

fender benders without no render to strike asunder

storm storm storm storm storm storm storm storm

drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs

I really like pies, sue me if I am telling any lies

giant chickens gonna die, giant chickens gonna die

Rappedy rap rap rap, I got better rhymes than lamar

Kiss me like token, I'll blow eminem away quite far

at least I aint dead like tupac, crap like Ice T

cheap like 50 cent, I'm the real slim shady

Something something about objectifying women

I am the light of guernica, the holy grail

D  R K N  S , No I won't fail

fail to break the cycles, fail to break it to you

A S C N D N T, break it to you, break it to me

Break it to all, because as far as I can see

We're all caught up in webs, problems and lies

Sometimes we just want to cut all ties

*can't be bothered anymore

1 minute ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*bends over and lights joint

*breaths into camera

Dra dra draaaaa- the beat drops like old people with polio

Imma dish out these raps like jesus just so you know

Now don't call me some pretender cause I aint cause these

fender benders without no render to strike asunder

storm storm storm storm storm storm storm storm

drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs

I really like pies, sue me if I am telling any lies

giant chickens gonna die, giant chickens gonna die

Rappedy rap rap rap, I got better rhymes than lamar

Kiss me like token, I'll blow eminem away quite far

at least I aint dead like tupac, crap like Ice T

cheap like 50 cent, I'm the real slim shady

Something something about objectifying women

I am the light of guernica, the holy grail

D  R K N  S , No I won't fail

fail to break the cycles, fail to break it to you

A S C N D N T, break it to you, break it to me

Break it to all, because as far as I can see

We're all caught up in webs, problems and lies

Sometimes we just want to cut all ties

*can't be bothered anymore

That is...impressive. I too like pies.

So, I'm searching mens fashion for inspiration on a character design, and I came across this:

Spoiler

Related image

Ah yes, the classic "I just escaped from prison" look. one of my favorites.

Edit: ooh, heres another one: the "when you're going to the beach, but you have prom afterwards"

Spoiler

Related image

Edited by The Honor Spren

13 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Maybe...? I dunno, my childhood was firmly centered in the 80s, and these are all things I think of as my generation's touchstones. But I get your point, the 90s were just kind of...there. (You poor thing. I still quietly seethe at what they did with Batgirl.)

I mean... at least Babs got her name in the film? Is more than Cass or Stephs ever got.

Or are ever likely to get. Which is a shame; what I've read of them shows Cassie and Stephanie as two very fun, very cool and interesting characters, and I wish they stuck around. Hurrah for Rebirth, I guess; I really ought to read more Detective Comics for those two...

(And yeah, I think they are both better Batgirls than Barbara COME AT ME BRO.)

5 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I mean... at least Babs got her name in the film? Is more than Cass or Stephs ever got.

Or are ever likely to get. Which is a shame; what I've read of them shows Cassie and Stephanie as two very fun, very cool and interesting characters, and I wish they stuck around. Hurrah for Rebirth, I guess; I really ought to read more Detective Comics for those two...

(And yeah, I think they are both better Batgirls than Barbara COME AT ME BRO.)

Hee. Honestly, I don't disagree about the other canon Batgirls. I thought she played a much more important and interesting role in the DCU as Oracle. She knew everything, man, and kept things running smoothly for everyone behind the scenes. She had so much more room for character growth and change before they rebooted the universe.

2 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Hee. Honestly, I don't disagree about the other canon Batgirls. I thought she played a much more important and interesting role in the DCU as Oracle. She knew everything, man, and kept things running smoothly for everyone behind the scenes. She had so much more room for character growth and change before they rebooted the universe.

Yeah, definitely. She had her own specific niche that no one else was really filling, and it IS a shame to see that gone. Plus...

I don't know. Cass had her own solo book for a good seventy-something issues. Steph!Bats was just downright fun, in a way that... she makes me laugh. Her comic -again, the little I've seen- was really well-written, and I so wish they had continued with that.. instead of not only booting Steph out of the role, but pretending she didn't even exist.

(Honestly, that whole era of the Batfamily immediately before the New 52 is amazing and fascinating for eveyrone and I could talk at length about it)

I am very frustrated right now.

Today we had the athletics carnival, I...

came 3rd in everything >>

Really frustrating, because I don't usually try at these things and I've gotten as far as regional (school,zone, regional, state, national)

And of course...when I start taking it seriously god does everything in his power to keep me from moving up...(TOP TWO GO TO ZONE >> >> >> MISSED IT BY ONE >>)

Urhrhhghg, I only do Track events, not Field events (because those require me being bothered XD).

I tried 100 m hurdles for the first time, had no idea what i was doing, but went pretty well since I came...third

100m sprint I started off on the wrong foot literally, usually I'd be neck and neck with the two people in front of me, but because of that I was a few fingers behind hmph.

200m the people in the year (school year) above us who were in our age-group (16s) decided to jump in as well, I did the race well...but ended up third

400m glided through the entire thing, third

800m glided through, third

1500m died and came third.

And after I did the 800m I fell sick...

So since then I've had a runny nose, been sneezing and coughing violently and generally been feeling congested...nose has been drained so dry it burns when I breathe bleh

Not in bad day because it wasn't a bad day tbh, yeah I could have done better but I don't get bogged down in failures like that...because I have bigger problems XD

I'm sorry everyone: Canadian politics is objectively better than your countries politics. This is a fact. 

Evidence: This video you need to watch now.

Context: Rona Ambrose (the lady asking questions at the start) is the leader of the official opposition. Justin Trudeau is our current prime minister. The guy in robes is basically the official moderator of all parliamentary discussions. 

13 minutes ago, Quiver said:

A rewatch of Samurai Jack, beginning to end, once season five has been completed may or may not be on my agenda.

I hope I get to the season 5 before it ends. I'm watching Samurai Jack for the first time and I'm only on season 2...

3 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I hope I get to the season 5 before it ends. I'm watching Samurai Jack for the first time and I'm only on season 2...

Uh.. well... there're two episodes left? So, unless you REALLY binge... I kinda doubt you'll make it to the ending, bud.

On the plus side, you won't have to wait for episodes to be released! Always look for the positives!