Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

28 minutes ago, Quiver said:

...Would any musicians here mind if I PM them about stuff?

I'm trying to create a setting based on music, and having a bit of difficult researching it; was wondering if people would mind me asking them questions directly. 

Go for it. I'm a pianist and violinist. I'll do my best to answer any/all questions. Keep in mind that my music theory isn't the best

39 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I'm trying to create a setting based on music, and having a bit of difficult researching it; was wondering if people would mind me asking them questions directly. 

Totally. Fire away. Guitar, piano, vocals, a litany of miscellaneous musicalities. 

48 minutes ago, Left said:

Do you need like technique and music theory stuff? There are some things I can help with ( I'm a pianist) but there's plenty I don't know. 

28 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Go for it. I'm a pianist and violinist. I'll do my best to answer any/all questions. Keep in mind that my music theory isn't the best

19 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Totally. Fire away. Guitar, piano, vocals, a litany of miscellaneous musicalities. 

I...am kind of starting from scratch, frankly. The problem is, I don't know what it is I don't know, ya know? So I'm not sure how to research it...

I'm a little confused by definitions. I know a note is the most basic level of music. I'm a little less clear on pitch and tone, and how they differ from one another. And then there's timbre, which is...quality of sound, I think, but I'm not sure how one judges that?

In all honesty... I'm starting pretty much from square one. The problem is that it feels like stuff which explains definitions (like Wikipedia) expect some kind of knowledge of music, which... I don't have. 

Just now, Quiver said:

I...am kind of starting from scratch, frankly. The problem is, I don't know what it is I don't know, ya know? So I'm not sure how to research it...

I'm a little confused by definitions. I know a note is the most basic level of music. I'm a little less clear on pitch and tone, and how they differ from one another. And then there's timbre, which is...quality of sound, I think, but I'm not sure how one judges that?

In all honesty... I'm starting pretty much from square one. The problem is that it feels like stuff which explains definitions (like Wikipedia) expect some kind of knowledge of music, which... I don't have. 

What is the context for this search for enlightenment?

9 minutes ago, bleeder said:

What is the context for this search for enlightenment?

I've kind of been playing around with an idea for a fantasy setting, where the magic is based upon music; kind of blending synaesthesia with shamanism, to an extent.

...but, because music is  BIG DEAL for this society, not knowing anything about it on my end is kind if holding me back some in terms of "How do I develop this thing", so...

13 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I've kind of been playing around with an idea for a fantasy setting, where the magic is based upon music; kind of blending synaesthesia with shamanism, to an extent.

...but, because music is  BIG DEAL for this society, not knowing anything about it on my end is kind if holding me back some in terms of "How do I develop this thing", so...

Hm... Interesting.

41 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I'd be a good resource. I took almost all of the coursework necessary for a music degree; there's some stuff that I've forgotten, but music theory, aural skills, a lot of the basics about how and why different instruments work the way they do - I have tons of knowledge.

43 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Ahhh, okay. So maybe read Spellsong Sorceress by LE Modesitt. Basically a university music professor from America is magically summoned to a planet where the magic system is completely based on vocal music. First, the book gives you a breakdown of music terms and stuff, and it may inspire you on some new ways to use music and the access to the magic. 
Then consult Kaymyth or the rest of us to fill in your gaps in knowledge! :)

3 hours ago, Quiver said:

I'm no expert, but I like to think I know something about music. That's if you're still looking for people, that is. :)

Hey @Quiver, just saying that I'm a bassoonist, and that the Great Bassoon Above will come and steal your kittens if you do not make the bassoon an object of great power, like a bassoonazooka or a bassniper, or an inter dimensional space laser.

6 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Hey @Quiver, just saying that I'm a bassoonist, and that the Great Bassoon Above will come and steal your kittens if you do not make the bassoon an object of great power, like a bassoonazooka or a bassniper, or an inter dimensional space laser.

In this vein, does not the contrabass bugle look vaguely like it's about to start shooting cannonballs out of its bell?

Spoiler

Image result for marching tuba cannon

Just chiming in: I also have idea of magic music for some time now (those who frequent Creation Daily might remember project Lanternlight). But I need to approach it from a little more physics side... wavelengths, frequencies... I have some really basic music knowledge (I can read notes) but nothing advanced .

Some recommendations where can I start researching?

The setting is kinda steampunk but music magic is basically a means of survival there.

Edited by Oversleep

10 hours ago, Quiver said:

Sounds interesting. I also do music, and we have to learn about lots of music stuff. I play classical guitar, and I would be happy to help.

9 hours ago, Quiver said:

I'm a musician (I play clarinet, bass clarinet, and I'm teaching myself how to play the alto saxophone), and I have a pretty good idea of how music works. Those terms took me a long time to understand as well, but it is quite simple really...actually not really, but that's why I'd be glad to help you! This would help me out too, since I'm planning on taking music theory next year and, eventually, becoming a band director.

@Quiver I consider myself fairly well versed in music theory (though probably not as well versed as Kaymyth). I took piano lessons for several years when I was younger, and I've played both oboe and percussion in concert/symphonic bands, as well as marching snare drum and marching bass drum. I spent a year learning a bit of violin with an orchestra in middle school, too, so I also have a little knowledge of stringed instruments. And I like to sing; I did two years of choir in high school. I would LOVE to talk music and share whatever knowledge I can to help you figure out your magic system. :)

12 hours ago, Quiver said:

You should read The Hush by Sky Melki-Wegener

24 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

After reading the last page,  it looks like if 85% of the Shard has some music experience, plays a couple instruments and knows at least a bit about music theory :o is there anything you guys don't know/don't do? :P

I don't smoke for one thing.

And the only musical instrument I know about are the drums, I am hopeless at everything else (except piano, I'm ok at that)

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

After reading the last page,  it looks like if 85% of the Shard has some music experience, plays a couple instruments and knows at least a bit about music theory :o is there anything you guys don't know/don't do? :P

...I can't play football?
Or any other sports.
Except for swimming.

8 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Sounds interesting. I also do music, and we have to learn about lots of music stuff. I play classical guitar, and I would be happy to help.

You play classical? Nice! I've got a little Brazilian classical from '65. Wish I knew how to play it as it was made. But, y'know.

42 minutes ago, bleeder said:

You play classical? Nice! I've got a little Brazilian classical from '65. Wish I knew how to play it as it was made. But, y'know.

Oh wow, that sounds like a really nice guitar. I have a handmade one I half stole from the school, but I don't have any really good ones.

19 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Oh wow, that sounds like a really nice guitar. I have a handmade one I half stole from the school, but I don't have any really good ones.

I don't really have any great ones either (but I play a lot); I have a Squier Classic Vibe Thinline Tele (the only one I bought myself, I inherited the other two), a 70's Sigma (overseas Martin, basically), and the classical as the ones I play the most. 

Edited by bleeder