I feel Wilson's post was directed at least partially at me, so I'll try and respond to it quickly before I head off to school:

Wilson, maybe I phrased it wrong, and you're absolutely right. RP is an important part of these games, as they add to the flavour and worldbuilding of these games. But... I've never really considered RP as a form of gameplay to an exclusion of all else before like that. I'll make sure to send you a PM this night turn - if that's what it takes, it's a price I'll happily pay.

Note that I wasn't specifically trying to pick a fight with you, just trying to get a few stats on a few people's thoughts/opinions, etc. If people change alignments later, it means they will probably either subtly try to shift their viewpoint and hope no-one notices, or else stick to their espoused viewpoint in thread and argue for it, to the detriment of their team. I've seen thoughts, opinions and analysis expressed through RP before, and I was hoping you could do that as some sort of compromise. I might try and do a Huxton RP to see if I can make Khaos 'interested' when I have time if no-one else does first.

On a separate note, my activity should pick up tomorrow afternoon, after I hand in a major assignment. If I'm going to do RP in this game, tomorrow afternoon or Friday is probably the time.

I agree with everything you say, @little wilson, and I just want to add that some people don't have anything meaningful to add. I had no RP for you, and the discussion about playing styles and the like was getting too deep for me. That was why I posted a very short post in order to prevent myself from being poke voted.

I can verify that Wilson had said pregame that she was going to adopt a more care free playstyle.

While RPing is most definitely a valid style of playing these games, there's still some basic expectations placed on RPers. They still have to participate in the game, whether by breaking character, or in character, like Wilson did when voting. (Metacognition, who started off these games here, had already been playing them on a different site, where they *exclusively* RP'd. If it wasn't something their character knew, they couldn't use that information.)

You can't join a game and expect to only RP. These are foremost mafia games. If you want to just RP, there's the entire rest of the RP subforum. We are part of the RP subforum, sure, and so RP is a core part, but these are first games about voting, lying, manipulation, and killing.

And for all those people who find it hard to know how to contribute, I disagree that just because you're new, or aren't good at strategising, that there's nothing for you to contribute. The problem is that as a community, we aren't helping people to learn how to do that. More experienced players don't drop pointers, or theirs no article we can point you at for suggestions, or often the game is so complex that it's no longer relevant... :/

Night 1: Paint It Black

They moved as a group at first. They were all present and alive, and they were intent to remain the same way. But they fragmented over time. Shifty gazes and paranoid glances meant that this arrangement would never last, and in due course, it did not. The disappearance of Kasther did not implicate any of them, and in a way, that was the problem. Any of them could be responsible. That was the best-case scenario.

Food was not impossible to find. The kitchen did indeed seem stocked with food. Strangely, all of it was fresh, but there was no mess that would hint towards fresh preparation. No crumbs littered the floor, or discarded fruit that had fallen by the wayside and been missed. The only possible rational explanation was that the food had been prepared expertly and it had been cleaned up expertly as well. And yet the food itself, while not tasteless or horrible, was merely of decent quality, rather than suggesting a master chef had prepared it.

They checked upstairs, above the study, as best they could tell. There was no body there, no hint of blood. Again, it suggested an expert clean-up operation had taken place.

“There is only one conclusion,” the nameless man in red said. “The murderer must be one of us. They must have killed Kasther and hidden his body somewhere.”

“But who could have done it?” Quintus asked, shaking his head. “Weren't we all there?”

“One of us must have been missing,” Frost said. “There are so many of us, is it a strange idea that one of us might have nipped out quickly for a spot of light murder?”

“You say it like they popped down to the market because they forgot something...” Exion muttered. “So what about now?”

“Someone is missing,” Locke pointed out. “One of the doctors. Ogle-whatsit.”

It must be him then,” Isaac nodded, smashing a fist into his open palm like his namesake. “Must be Oglethorpe.”

I must be what?” It was to his greatest misfortune that Doctor Ryan Oglethorpe had appeared in the doorway at that moment, a tad confused.

Get him!” Dr Neuems shouted.

Ryan ran. He did not know why he was running other than that there was a mob after him. They chased him because he ran, and he ran because they chased him. Thirty people stomped down the corridors, a wave of vigilante justice caught up in itself. He looked back to see how close they were, but kept putting one foot in front of the other to keep going. One foot in front of the other, until suddenly he couldn't.

His foot fell down as he hit the staircase, and he tripped over the step he didn't expect. His body swung forwards, his other foot failing to find traction and falling as well. His head smacked the hard, ancient wooden staircase, and he kept falling. He landed a crumpled heap at the bottom of the staircase.

Stand back!” Doctor Arelle shouted, holding her arms out to prevent people getting closer. “Let me examine him!”

You're not a medical doctor!” Doctor Neuems retaliated. “If anyone should examine him, it should be me.”

Forgive me if I don't want someone braying for his blood to examine him,” Konwa muttered dryly as she turned Ryan over. She winced at the angle of the neck. She put a finger to the man's pulse just to be sure. She shook her head. “Dead. I'm not a medical professional, as you say, but seems clear to me he snapped his neck on the fall.”

You'd be right about that,” Doctor Neuems muttered, patting at his forehead with a handkerchief. “Can't youth today handle falling downstairs? Back in my day we'd have to fall downstairs twice a day as we left the house and came back...”

Colours!” Eques grabbed Konwa and pulled her arm off the corpse's body. “Look!”

Slowly as they were talking, the colour started to drain from Doctor Arelle's face, as she watched it literally drain from Doctor Oglethorpe's corpse. No, it was not just that. Even as his skin turned greyer and more colourless, more dead, it continued to encroach. His shirt went from a somewhat dirty white to grey. His trousers paled. The change covered his entire person, man, clothes and effects. And then it stopped.

I think we can be pretty sure that there's something odd happening here now,” Konwa muttered, checking her fingertips to ensure they too wouldn't start paling and losing all colour. “I've never seen Breath disappear from a body like that. Never. It's like this place... Absorbed it. I don't like it. We need to get to the bottom of this place, I think.”

But what about finding out who killed Kasther? What about finding out which of us is a blasted murderer?” Yiferien asked.

A human killer doesn't scare me half as much as a House that has somehow become Awakened. Become alive. Human rage and maliciousness and anger, all these can be understood. But who knows what a damned structure wants?” Konwa shook her head. “We'll meet in the study later. We have some more exploring to do. This is one mystery I refuse to let get the better of me. And who better to solve it than a BioChromatic Scholar such as myself?” She gave them a wry smile in spite of everything. "I will see you later. Let's hope we find something, eh?"

Night 1 has begun! It will end on Thursday at 9PM GMT.
PMs may now be resumed until the end of the Turn.

Doctor Ryan Oglethorpe/phattemer was an
Explorer!

Doctor Ryan Oglethorpe/phattemer (2): Isaac Jones (Elenion), Dr Artie Neuems (Arraemae)
Exion/Unodus (1): The Guy in the Red Uniform (Ecthelion III)
Moro/Magestar (1): Frost (Doctor12)
Isaac Jones/Elerion (1): Khaos (little wilson)
The Guy in the Red Uniform/Ecthelion III (1): Exion (Unodus)
Sean/polkinghornbd (1): Huxton (The Young Bard)

Character List

1. Dr Konwa Arelle (Wonko the Sane) - A biochromantic scholar.
  2. Frost (Doctor12) - He changed his name to something he thought sounded cool. Coincidentally, he is no longer invited to parties.
  3. Shara (Nyali) - A real estate agent that ain't afraid of no ghost, because she doesn't believe in them.
  4. Stick (I_Am_A_Stick) - A thin piece of wood that has been cut off or that has fallen off a tree.
  5. Aralis (Araries Valerian) - Not all-together there.
  6. Yiferien (Daniyah) - A murderous maid with her mind on the property market.
  7. Exion (Unodus) - Gambling with his life...
  8. Rotiart (Paranoid King) - Not suspicious at all guys.
  9. Moro (Magestar) - Searching for treasure.
  10. Bugsy (Bugsy6912) - Not related to any potential crook.
  11. Doctor Ryan Oglethorpe (phattemer) - Has a strange speaking problem. - Explorer
  12. Quintus (Jondesu) - Entering the mansion.
  13. Khaos (little wilson) - A fear junkie.
  14. Isaac 'The Hammer' Jones (Elenion) - In search of treasure.
  15. Nightspud (Assassin in Burgundy) - A questionably starchy person.
  16. Nathan (Nathanvanduij) - Signed up.
  17. Dr Artie Neuems (Arraenae) - An old gentleman comparing about today's youth.
  18. Billy (Darkness Ascendant) - An rural man enamored by the House's appearance.
  19. Arinian (Arinian) - Appearing as himself.
  20. Greg Ronald (STINK) - TBA
  21. Locke (Orlok Tsubodai) - George Washington in disguise.
  22. The Guy in the Red Uniform (Ecthelion III) - Too easy...
  23. Aon Deag (Aonar Faileas) - Has no interest in buying, so what is he there for?
  24. Sean (polkinghorndb) - Planning on asset-stripping the House.
  25. C. L. Anky (Clanky) - Hired for investigative purposes.
  26. Prof. Alberd Hae (Haelbarde) - Searching for the research notes of the Five Scholars.
  27. The Lady of Chaos (The_Lady_Of_Chaos) - TBA
  28. Jeffery Wilferson (jefrywlfersn) - TBA
  29. Eques Tempore (Straw) - TBA
  30. Sheon Idris (Seonid) - A shade of his former self.
  31. Juq (JUQ) - TBA
  32. Huxton (The Young Bard) - He means well but does bad.
  33. Kasther (Kasimir) - Intreped young estate agent. - Estate Agent
  34. Kresla (Elbereth) - Wide-eyed and innocent. This cannot end badly.
  35. Mark (Mark IV) - Better than Mark III.

Kasther's Pocketwatch

blu_1480021200.png

Edited by Alvron

Rule Clarifications:

1. Is there a Traitor Doc? Or are the Traitors (if any) simply drifting around aimlessly hoping to hook up with each other?
As El has pointed out, the rules state that "When an Omen is discovered, a player has their will subverted by the House, gains a Role and access to the Traitor doc, and their Alignment changes to ‘Traitor’." Interpret accordingly.

2. Am I allowed to lie to everyone and say I found something I didn't?

Yeah, sure, knock yourself out--the GM and Sub-GM will neither confirm nor deny whether: A. an item actually exists, and B. whether the claiming player actually has that item, so go ahead...and here's a bucket of water for those pants!

3. Does it take an Action to give someone an item?
Yeah, it does.

Edited by Kasimir

I'm a little surprised that no one cast any votes for an actual (suspicion-based) lynch: I didn't have time to get on before classes this morning, and so wasn't on for the 14 hours prior to turnover.

I'll be exploring tonight: I already claimed no results from N0 and I don't see a reason not to explore tonight.

Sorry for the short post, but I'm going to the Sanderson signing tonight at BYU and it's a bit of a drive. I'll be leaving sometime between now and an hour from now, for anyone planning on PM-ing me.

(I've got organisational stuff to get done for the next bit, so I'll leave proper posts till later)

As far as I can tell, the inactives last cycle were: Phat(now dead), Nathan, Darkness Ascendant, and polking (although he's posted in the MR). Nathan and Phat are the only two to not have posted at all since the game started.

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

I'm a little surprised that no one cast any votes for an actual (suspicion-based) lynch: I didn't have time to get on before classes this morning, and so wasn't on for the 14 hours prior to turnover.

I'll be exploring tonight: I already claimed no results from N0 and I don't see a reason not to explore tonight.

Sorry for the short post, but I'm going to the Sanderson signing tonight at BYU and it's a bit of a drive. I'll be leaving sometime between now and an hour from now, for anyone planning on PM-ing me.

I'm not, there's nothing to go on yet. :P

You and Rae voted on phattemer, but I can't fault you for that, it seemed like a fairly straightforward lynch of an inactive (I didn't really want to do that this game, but it only took two of you to disagree and make it happen).  That result does highlight the reasoning behind not doing a lynch first cycle in this game, since we just got rid of an inactive, but didn't really lead ourselves to an Elim.

Anyone not exploring?  I'm planning to explore again (but will not be revealing what I find, if anything, except perhaps to claim if I find one of the omens, so we can keep track).

43 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I'm not, there's nothing to go on yet. :P

You and Rae voted on phattemer, but I can't fault you for that, it seemed like a fairly straightforward lynch of an inactive (I didn't really want to do that this game, but it only took two of you to disagree and make it happen).  That result does highlight the reasoning behind not doing a lynch first cycle in this game, since we just got rid of an inactive, but didn't really lead ourselves to an Elim.

Anyone not exploring?  I'm planning to explore again (but will not be revealing what I find, if anything, except perhaps to claim if I find one of the omens, so we can keep track).

Jondesu, the thing is that most games don't have a D1 discussion that leads to an eliminator being caught immediately. It happened in MR17, but that was a lucky catch for the villagers. D1 discussion can and often does lead to an eliminator, but not always immediately. It becomes more useful as time passes, because we will have more information to fill out the picture later. It's entirely possible that several Days from now we'll look back, see something weird, and then catch an eliminator. 

Can you see into the future, Jondesu? Do you have knowledge that the village does not? I don't see any other situation where you can immediately and factually declare that the D1 discussion is useless less than three hours after D1 ends.

Rae, it was fairly clear that a D1 lynch was more likely to catch a villager by far, because of the unusual ratios this game. There are 2 Elims out of 35 players (at the time), which was pointed out to be abysmal odds trying to lynch someone. Discussion is good, but to act like it's absurd that I didn't like a D1 lynch in this game is very weird to me.

I'm back. Sorry, I went off the Shard for a while since it was the last two days before break and I was slightly stressed (and also busy being thoroughly trolled >>). Back now, and some comments: 

Orlok

I also believe that there will be a cap on the number of eliminators - it's too obvious an exploit to continue exploring until 15 players win through being converted to allow uncapped conversions.

While I agree that's possible, instinctively I want to say it's more of a gradual percentage curve than a straight cap - the likelihood of finding each Omen gets progressively smaller so that there's always still a chance of finding one, just more and more unlikely. (That said, you know him better than I.)

Doctor

Mage's post strikes me as a liiitle suspicious. I, like Wonko, believe that Wyrm might have given the eliminators different win cons, and not necessarily a way of contacting each other. Someone before me has pointed out that Omens can grant roles, and someone has said that the writing on the wall might denote a PM role. I find myself thinking that the eliminators themselves might not necessarily know who the other is, and might have to find each other. Thus, Mage could be an eliminator who was turned last night, and was confused when he didn't get a contact for anyone else, thus asking this question. He also hasn't been posting anything, thus I'm hoping he gets on to clear my suspicions. 

...From the rules: 

When an Omen is discovered, a player has their will subverted by the House, gains a Role and access to the Traitor doc, and their Alignment changes to ‘Traitor’.

:) Just saying.

Nyali

Is it okay that some of us are here because we like elimination games, love Brandon Sanderson books, and enjoy the complexity of the games run here, and not because of the RP? I do like RP, but I generally get enough of it in person through LARPs and tabletop games. Elimination games are one thing I can't do in person because no gaming group I've ever been a part of takes them seriously, which makes them totally not fun. So, I was excited to see that people on my favorite author's fan forum were running online elimination games, and joined to get in on that aspect, and not the RP aspect. Should I stop signing up for games if I don't plan to RP in them?

No! Of course not! Everyone joined for a different reason. For RP or games or friends or whatever else. There is no reason you have to RP, and nothing forcing you to if you don't want to.

That said - I would argue that RP is an integral part of the game, just as much as the elimination aspect. Or at least it used to be. You can RP anywhere else, yes. You can also play mafia anywhere else, on MafiaUniverse or some other site. We're not unique because we're a forum-based elimination game. We're unique because of the combination. We're Sanderson Elimination. Look back at LG1, if you like, or even as recent as LG12. We began with RP. More RP than elimination, in fact. It's totally possible to do nothing but RP and also contribute meaningfully to the game. Plenty of people did it. Wilson made pretty clear her opinions even when speaking only through Chaos - she voted, after all. And Len responded (although she never responded in retraction, I don't think, which is rather sad as I was looking forward to that :P). 

And that aspect of RPing game talk has gone away almost completely now, and that makes me sad. :( We're no longer telling a story together. We're playing a game, and the GMs are telling us a story around the game. (Wilson and I have just been discussing this at length, as we have a tendency to do, and we think that part of the shift in the meta towards competitiveness is actually because of this. Because it's no longer our characters having arguments, our characters dying. It's us. It's personal. And so we care about winning more.) 

I'm not saying that everyone should be forced to RP. That's not what SE's about. Everyone has a different playstyle, and that should never change. But I do think a little more RP wouldn't hurt. :P And I fully intend to try engaging with Khaos soonish, though I'm not sure when, nor how Kresla will handle her. Worth a try, though. 

Hael

And for all those people who find it hard to know how to contribute, I disagree that just because you're new, or aren't good at strategising, that there's nothing for you to contribute. The problem is that as a community, we aren't helping people to learn how to do that. More experienced players don't drop pointers, or theirs no article we can point you at for suggestions, or often the game is so complex that it's no longer relevant... :/

And this post amuses me extremely. Want to know why? (Other than the grammatical error.) You have literally written such an article. :P Here. I highly recommend reading that, for anyone who can't think of anything to say. 

That's all for now. RP may come later, or maybe not. We shall see. 

Edited by Elbereth

@Elbereth, the only flaw in that idea about Mage being a traitor and not knowing who the other one is, is that right there in what you quoted, it says they'll gain access to the Traitor Doc. If so, they should know who the others are. I suppose it's not 100% guaranteed, but I think that throws a wrench into that idea (not that it clears Mage, but that's not likely to be the reason for his behavior).

37 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

Wyrm, can you confirm whether or not the Eliminators know who each other are? I thought they were added to a doc for some reason, in which case they would, but I might be wrong.

Can confirm they don't. It's really awkward in the doc, btw, what with them being referred to by Omen and you can just tell they're dying to hook up and let each other know who they are so Wyrm and I have to keep a constant eye on them to make sure they behave. It's like dealing with teenage dating, I swear... :ph34r:

AHEM. LISTEN TO EL.