Second Annual Sanderson Tournament

Patar

Dalinar win the combat (I think? Not sure how either would manage to kill the other).

He's also one of the most compelling characters I've read in a long time:

• It's refreshing to see the "can I be the hero everyone needs me to be?" character arc for someone who isn't under 25.
  • I love exploring the perspectives of someone who, instead of trying to make their mark on the world, has already made it, and finds it at times both a help and hindrance as he moves in a new direction.
  • We've had a thousand stories of people who come up from nothing, but what about someone who stood atop the world, and discovered his footing was not as sure as he thought?
  • It's nice to have an authority figure who has their own story, rather than just being a staple feature in the story of some maverick or young person. (I mean, he is that, but he's also way more.)

Done! I feel like I'm having to apologize for the delays a bit to much :ph34r: Anyways, Dalinar is the winner!

In the next round, two Radiants, Shallan and Renarin Kholin, will go head to head! But which Radiant will emerge victorious?

Shallan. Renarin maybe might be able to see through her illusions (because he can "see," as he said), but Shallan is at the Shardblade stage of her Nahel bond (uh, spoiler alert). Plus she's slightly crazy.

Edited by Turbonator

To me both of the characters had some flaws that hindered my liking of them a little bit: I thought Shallan was a little on the whiny and annoying side, and as for Renarin (WoR spoilers)

Spoiler

I thought that he got his Radiant's powers without really earning them.

That expressed, I'll have to go with Shallan because I actually liked the scenes where she expresses her love to [REDACTED], and that's a pretty rare occurrence for me.

Shallan. She's not always the most likeable character, but I liked how she had  troubled past, but worked past it, suppressing memories and such. With Renarin, for the same reason as Elenion. Also, Shallan did grow on me, especially (WoR spoilers)

Spoiler

When she was stuck in the chasms with Kaladin, as well as how she coped with Jasnah's "death" and the expression of power in her powerless state

So, yeah, Shallan. 

48 minutes ago, Eccentric Hero said:

I just can't like Shallan much after she [major spoilers]

Reveal hidden contents

murdered some people in cold blood. Especially her dad.

I think she was justified in her reasons for doing the thing by the circumstances that surrounded the event. Setting that aside, how about the other characters like

Spoiler

Jasnah

who have done similar things?

8 hours ago, Elenion said:

I think she was justified in her reasons for doing the thing by the circumstances that surrounded the event. Setting that aside, how about the other characters like

Reveal hidden contents

Jasnah

who have done similar things?

She was justified but she did it so coldly. Even Helaran couldn't get himself to do it. I think that Jasnah is also too cold, which is why I voted for Lopen.

I actually have more reasons why I am voting for Renarin. You can find a lot of reasons in 2 threads about him.

Current Tally: Shallan-4 Renarin-2

Edited by Eccentric Hero

Shallan. She's a quick thinker, inventive, and even downright devious at times. Renarin has his strengths, but he seems rather unused to conflict of any kind. He's smart too, but he's the "I'm going to sit and think this through" kind of smart, not the "I'm going to out-think you in a moment's notice" kind of smart. I don't think his meager combat training will make up the difference. Shallan's going to run circles around him.

Shallan. My favorite Sanderson character, her flashbacks in WoR are as intriguing as the best of Lost. Her regular viewpoints are great too-her conflicts with the Ghostbloods, Adolin, and Kaladin show her witty side. She is a truly great character.

Plus, she would totally win in a fight.

23 hours ago, Eccentric Hero said:

Renarin

I just can't like Shallan much after she [major spoilers]

Reveal hidden contents

murdered some people in cold blood. Especially her dad.

No, no, Eccentric Hero, that's what makes her character great. You've got it backwards. :mellow:

(I really like that kind of character :P)

Edited by WayneSpren

1 hour ago, WayneSpren said:

No, no, Eccentric Hero, that's what makes her character great. You've got it backwards. :mellow:

(I really like that kind of character :P)

I really don't like it. If you notice, Kaladin isn't cold-blooded. Neither is Vasher or Wax. Not even Kelsier, for that matter, if you think about it. And definitely not Szeth.

Tally is still:

Shallan-6 Renarin-3

6 minutes ago, Eccentric Hero said:

I really don't like it. If you notice, Kaladin isn't cold-blooded. Neither is Vasher or Wax. Not even Kelsier, for that matter, if you think about it. And definitely not Szeth.

Hm, it's interesting that you should say that about Kelsier, because I would say that he is far more cold-blooded than Shallan. He is shown at multiple points to be unremorseful towards the people he kills, and is often unable to restrain his anger towards the nobles, and acts, not thinking about the consequences, showing some psychopathic tendencies. He views the nobles as a collective evil, and is frequently uncaring towards nobles and those affiliated with them. Granted, he does have a reason to hate them, but it still doesn't change the fact of his cold hearted murder. And yet, he is often incredibly kind towards those that he sees as victims  

Compared to that, I would consider Shallan far more justified in killing who she did, based on what she thought he did at the time, as well as her age and emotional stability, or at least, that's what I personally think. 

12 hours ago, CalypsoDreaming said:

Hm, it's interesting that you should say that about Kelsier, because I would say that he is far more cold-blooded than Shallan. He is shown at multiple points to be unremorseful towards the people he kills, and is often unable to restrain his anger towards the nobles, and acts, not thinking about the consequences, showing some psychopathic tendencies. He views the nobles as a collective evil, and is frequently uncaring towards nobles and those affiliated with them. Granted, he does have a reason to hate them, but it still doesn't change the fact of his cold hearted murder. And yet, he is often incredibly kind towards those that he sees as victims  

Compared to that, I would consider Shallan far more justified in killing who she did, based on what she thought he did at the time, as well as her age and emotional stability, or at least, that's what I personally think. 

Shallan may be more justified but her murdering is so cold. Kelsier is quite a cold killer but he does a lot of them with anger not that cold calm reasonable way that Shallan did it. Cold calm murdering is scary. It seems more like something a villain would do. WoK and WoR spoilers

Spoiler

Kaladin spends forever trying to decide whether to poison Tvlak or whatever his name is. Theway Shallan does it is crazy. She makes up her mind and just poisons him. Then she finishes up with a strangling. WIth her own necklace She just watches him as he dies.. Now that is just storming crazy.

Shallan-6 Renarin-4