M did a quick sweep of his hideout. Though he found no bugs or transmitters, it was still not worth the risk to stay there any longer. Ms. Oniel would be back shortly to wipe the drives before taking the rest of the day to hopefully lose any possible tails she may have picked up. It was an irritating routine that they went through every time they switched locations, but a necessary one as well. It had happened far too often for them to get lax about it now. 

M turned to go, but paused just before leaving. He didn't know where the note had come from and was unlikely to find out, but he would use all the help he could get. As he walk out the door, he threw up a thumbs up, just in case. 

Less than a couple hours later, M sat in front of a new set of monitors.  Unlike his last hideout, this one had an entire wall of windows, but he wasn't worried about people spying on him. It was difficult to do so from the 78th floor. 

Already there had been multiple other deaths, including the entire previous task force. M sat, apparently unfazed, as he watched the tapes of the deaths again and again. 

"Most of the deaths occurred right after the other; within seconds of each other. But then, it's hours before Hideki's death. If Kira just needed the names of everyone involved, then he should have been capable of killing them all off at once, but that's not what happened." 

He took a sip of coffee before continuing talking to himself. "No, Kira must have been nearby. He waited close to the Bureau the entire time, waiting to make sure that everyone from the task force was dead. When Hideki comes in in the morning, Kira was still waiting. 

"Thus, we can infer that Kira must not have known everyone that was on the Task Force ahead of time. He must be like the 2nd Kira and just need to see someone's face to kill them."

M set down his coffee and began typing rapidly, pulling up any and all surveillance from the couple of blocks surrounding the Task Force's Headquarters from the 24 hours surrounding the deaths. 

"Somewhere in all of this, you're hiding somewhere, Kira. And I intend to catch you." 

That being said, @Alvron, are there any secret roles? I saw in the rule clarification that people asked about secret rules and the answer was no, but roles are a bit different and I figure I should ask as it's better to be safe then sorry.

Someone's been thinking.  Yes there are secret roles.

By the way, why are there witnesses Alvron? Does it mean something? Just making sure I understand all the rules.

As others have pointed out, the Witnesses are just for flavor.

A Ripple Effect as in me making a typo that implies I'm an eliminator, or making a typo that I'm then lynched over but actually innocent? Because I'm guessing you mean the first, even though the second is what actually happened.

If that's the case, I'd guess he's talking about how I said "the Ryuk" instead of just "Ryuk" a couple of times, since I haven't seen the anime. Not totally certain how that could imply l'm an eliminator, though?

Just to be clear are you talking about an effect that causes slight changes that get bigger, or are you talking about somthing RippleGlyf did?

EDIT: Elbereth! How do you do that every time!?

It was when Ripple mixed up the Skaa and Inquisitor teams, as the second was the village in that game. She was lynched over it but it was just an honest mistake.

This typo was not what El said above. He thought it was weird, but not worthy of a lynch yet. I agreed. Not worth a huge mistaken lynch again.

What was the Ripple Effect thing that El claimed?

Ripple was village at the time that she was lynched for the word mixup. Are you also implying that it was a village mistake?

A Ripple Effect, named after yours truly, is when a seemingly simple and innocent mistake, such as a typo, is used to brutally lynch an innocent villager. In this case, it is not referring to the original Ripple Effect, but a perceived one present in this game. Hopefully that clarifies things.

Edit: just re-read all the stuff, it appears as though El possibly mixed up the eliminator and villager teams, and that seemed suspicious, apparently. Considering El has admitted not knowing the source material, it seems simple enough and I don't think it should be the sole driving force behind suspicion.

Edited by RippleGylf

A chart! (Suspicion Rating is graded on a bell curve), ( This chart is for Day 1)

Meta: Posts: 4. Suspicion Rating: 40%. Suspicion Per Post: 10%

Elbereth: Posts: 5. SR: 80%. SPP: 16%

The Only Joe: Posts: 16. SR: 40%. SPP: 2.5%

Mailliw: Posts: 4. SR: 20%. SPP: 5%

Master Elodin: Posts: 2. SR: 0%. SPP: 0%

Burnt Spaghetti: Posts: 2. SR: 20%. SPP: 10%

Haelbarde: Posts: 12. SR: 40%. SPP: 3.3%

AliasSheep: Posts: 11. SR: 100%. SPP: 9%

Cloudjumper: Posts: 0. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%

Conquestor: Posts: 4. SR: 0%. SPP: 0%

Trelagist: Posts: 0. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%

Amanuensis: Posts: 3. SR: 60%. SPP: 20%

Weaving Webs: Posts: 0. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%

Mark IV: Posts: 4. SR: 20%. SPP: 5%

Arraenae: Posts: 7. SR: 20%. SPP: 2.8%

LUNA: Posts: 2. SR: 20%. SPP: 10%

Bugsy: Posts: 3. SR: 20%. SPP: 6.6%

RippleGylf: Posts: 1. SR: 0%. SPP: 0%

Hellsythe: Posts: 1. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%

I wonder what secret roles there are. I'll make a list of possible ones that I can think of.

Rem:Same as Ryuk, but will not kill follower when killed and protects them from death reflexively.

Government Official: You start out knowing someone else's alignment and role.

Task Force Elite:You know who L is.

Edited by Master Elodin

Joe's plan feels off to me, especially what he said last cycle:

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 PM

We're currently working on finding a Police Officer to be L's proxy, so once that happens, we'll have someone unconvertable to announce L's findings. (Who wants to be Watari?)

Joe's plan calls for someone to be publicly confirmed and to announce L's findings, which would create a public trust group. L's scan wouldn't be able to distinguish between Ryuk, a holder, or a murderer, but might create a very cozy group of publicly confirmed civilians and police officers. A group that people would look to for plans, lynches, suspicions, and more.

This is Joe's plan:

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

Secondly, We need some Police protection on L pronto. The best plan I've come up with to do that is this. L targets Me, learns that I'm Innocent. He contacts me, and on day two, police and murderers reveal themselves to me. I pass their names onto L, and ask the Police to always protect him. I am killed, by either the murderers or the Lynch on day two. Because otherwise, Ryuk would convert me, and I would tell him the names of everyone. (Yes I'm volunteering to be killed 48 hours from now.(Unless someone else would prefer to do that)) What do you guys think of such a plan?

At the end of MR13, Joe, who was an eliminator, said this:

Quick Rant That's I've been holding in all game about the Companions:

Really quick, I want to talk about a game called Tow of Salem. Specifically, a role in that game, called The Mayor.

I storming Hate the Mayor.

The Mayor is a confirmed villager role, with three votes. Every game with a Mayor plays out the Exact. Same. Way. The Mayor reveals himself, and tells everyone to PM him their roles, then he directs everyone like sheep, and kills any villagers who disobey him. Any time I play Town of Salem with a Mayor who acts that way, I kill him. Even if I'm on the village team and killing him kills myself as well.

The Companions weren't quite like that, but they were close. Confirmed village roles. Mark IV got pretty close to becoming a mayor right before we killed him. He had received nearly everyone's stores and the villagers were all willing to follow his lead. 

Provable Safe Roles are incredibly hard to balance. Elb managed it by making them indefensible. (Hilariously, I found out that was on accident. they were supposed to be defendable.) But the majority of Safe roles are broken. Paranoia is a huge part of this game, and having a safe role removes it. (Which is why I had told Elb before the game started, that if I was a Companion, I would be helping the Kwaanists.) Safe roles almost always become Mayors, and it's usually not even their fault. If a safe role suggests something, usually two or three villagers will jump on it and suspect everyone who questions the suggestion.

I admit I nearly did the same thing after everyone foolishly decided to trust me last cycle simply because I had gotten Burnt's Info. (Seriously, what was up with that people? Of course Eliminators are going to try to get info. I never even proved I had the info, just siad I did, and everyone followed me.) I asked Trel and Macen to attack Stink, and macen and I ended up having a conversation about who gets to decide what action Macen would take. I let him choose, because even if it cost me another cycle, I didn't want to order him to do something.

In short, I don't like Safe roles, unless they're vastly weakened. #MonkAonarOP

There are no safe roles in this game, but L can confirm people, and L cannot be converted. People can fakeclaim L (at least two different people have claimed to be L), but it's impossible for an eliminator to pull of a traitor kandra as L -- in fact, a fake L will give themselves away by scanning a murderer as innocent.

Within a few cycles, the real L will be able to build up a cozy trust group, especially with a list of police and murderer claims from Joe. People will automatically flock to the publicly revealed and bandwagon behind them like they would bandwagon behind a mayor, which Joe detests. This is not the action of a villager.

I wonder what secret roles there are. I'll make a list of possible ones that I can think of.

Rem:Same as Ryuk, but will not kill follower when killed and protects them from death reflexively.

Government Official: You start out knowing someone else's alignment and role.

Task Force Elite:You know who L is.

Guessing secret roles is one of many paths to madness. Please, I advise you not to try. If you need to be reduced to a gibbering idiot who's seen too much of the abyss, Alvron will be happy to oblige you.  :ph34r:

Guessing secret roles is one of many paths to madness. Please, I advise you not to try. If you need to be reduced to a gibbering idiot who's seen too much of the abyss, Alvron will be happy to oblige you. :ph34r:

Hey, I'm not the one who's been to the abyss every single game I've played.

I watched Hellscythe struggle to stretch an ethernet cable across an apartment only to discover that there was no ethernet cable plug so yes I can confirm his predicament.

A chart! (Suspicion Rating is graded on a bell curve), ( This chart is for Day 1)
Meta: Posts: 4. Suspicion Rating: 40%. Suspicion Per Post: 10%
Elbereth: Posts: 5. SR: 80%. SPP: 16%
The Only Joe: Posts: 16. SR: 40%. SPP: 2.5%
Mailliw: Posts: 4. SR: 20%. SPP: 5%
Master Elodin: Posts: 2. SR: 0%. SPP: 0%
Burnt Spaghetti: Posts: 2. SR: 20%. SPP: 10%
Haelbarde: Posts: 12. SR: 40%. SPP: 3.3%
AliasSheep: Posts: 11. SR: 100%. SPP: 9%
Cloudjumper: Posts: 0. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%
Conquestor: Posts: 4. SR: 0%. SPP: 0%
Trelagist: Posts: 0. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%
Amanuensis: Posts: 3. SR: 60%. SPP: 20%
Weaving Webs: Posts: 0. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%
Mark IV: Posts: 4. SR: 20%. SPP: 5%
Arraenae: Posts: 7. SR: 20%. SPP: 2.8%
LUNA: Posts: 2. SR: 20%. SPP: 10%
Bugsy: Posts: 3. SR: 20%. SPP: 6.6%
RippleGylf: Posts: 1. SR: 0%. SPP: 0%
Hellsythe: Posts: 1. SR: 20%. SPP: 20%

This post would be really helpful if I understood exactly where the numbers came from....

I also had a PM with Lopen. We joked about the first game I ever played where he lynched me after like the first few turns haha. Lopen told me he "wasn't evil" which I didn't think much of. I just assumed that he was a civilian. He told me that he trusted me, Maill, Joe, Sheep, Aman, "L#1 and L#2" not to be Ryuk. 

The only other thing we discussed was Joe's planwhich he was kind of "eh" about. He doubted that even if L scanned Joe that the Police or the murderers would claim to him anyhow. 

That's it. By the time I had gotten back on, Lopen was gone. 

That being said and out of the way, I am not sure I trust Joe all the same. I find it incredible that you are still alive even after supposedly learning who L is. (also if it really is L like please stop  claiming. Please. For the sake of everyone)

Due to Aman's posts and huge contribution, I am inclined to trust you. For now.  :ph34r:

-You switched from being Joe's greatest critic to being his greatest supporter.

-Each time you were suspicious counts as 20% so you were only suspicious 5 times.

-Can you give us proof that L contacted you so we will know that you and Joe aren't evil?

Joe's plan feels off to me, especially what he said last cycle:

Joe's plan calls for someone to be publicly confirmed and to announce L's findings, which would create a public trust group. L's scan wouldn't be able to distinguish between Ryuk, a holder, or a murderer, but might create a very cozy group of publicly confirmed civilians and police officers. A group that people would look to for plans, lynches, suspicions, and more.

This is Joe's plan:

At the end of MR13, Joe, who was an eliminator, said this:

There are no safe roles in this game, but L can confirm people, and L cannot be converted. People can fakeclaim L (at least two different people have claimed to be L), but it's impossible for an eliminator to pull of a traitor kandra as L -- in fact, a fake L will give themselves away by scanning a murderer as innocent.

Within a few cycles, the real L will be able to build up a cozy trust group, especially with a list of police and murderer claims from Joe. People will automatically flock to the publicly revealed and bandwagon behind them like they would bandwagon behind a mayor, which Joe detests. This is not the action of a villager.

It doesn't really seem like the actions of an eliminator either. Yes, the Companions were annoying, but they werent causing a loss. As his actions have previously shown, he's probably just a villager making a risky choice. Even if he's not a villager, him being Ryuk is highly unlikely. Edited by Master Elodin

-You switched from being Joe's greatest critic to being his greatest supporter.

-Each time you were suspicious counts as 20% so you were only suspicious 5 times.

-Can you give us proof that L contacted you so we will know that you and Joe aren't evil?

1) As each of my criticisms was dealt with, making the plan seem like a better idea.

2) That's... really not how statistics works.  

3) What kind of proof would you expect me to give?

This post would be really helpful if I understood exactly where the numbers came from....

SR comes from the number of times I thought that person was being suspicious. Because AliasSheep had the highest amount of times I thought they were being suspicious so I made them have 100%. Key: 1 time I saw them being suspicious = 20%. To get SPP I divided the person's SR by the number of times that person posted. Edited by ThatTinyStrawMan

It doesn't really seem like the actions of an eliminator either. Yes, the Companions were annoying, but they werent causing a loss. As his actions have previously shown, he's probably just a villager making a risky choice. Even if he's not a villager, him being Ryuk is highly unlikely.

True. We should also take into account that we have no idea what these "secret roles" are... Also, I'm just worried that because he didn't die, that he could have been given a book from whoever Ryuk is and could be trying to gain info. All I''m saying is that Joe offered himself up to die in case he was claimed. I'm a little skeptical about people giving him roles... 

I also had a PM with Lopen. We joked about the first game I ever played where he lynched me after like the first few tu SR comes from the number of times I thought that person was being suspicious. Because AliasSheep had the highest amount of times I thought they were being suspicious so I made them have 100%. Key: 1 time I saw them being suspicious = 20%. To get SPP I divided the person's SR by the number of times that person posted.

Ahhh. I guess that makes sense? haha  :mellow:  :lol:

EDIT: Elbereth! How do you do that every time!?

:ph34r: I am the queen of ninja's. This has been well established.

It's a skill. :P

ThatTiny, while those numbers are nice, they'd be a lot more useful with reasoning attached. That way, people you suspect can defend themselves, which just furthers the discussion. As opposed to your numbers, which don't say why you suspect someone, just that you do. And I agree with Sheep on the system not making much sense. What happens if someone's suspicious more than five times? Are they 120% suspicious?

True. We should also take into account that we have no idea what these "secret roles" are... Also, I'm just worried that because he didn't die, that he could have been given a book from whoever Ryuk is and could be trying to gain info. All I''m saying is that Joe offered himself up to die in case he was claimed. I'm a little skeptical about people giving him roles...

He couldn't have been converted. Ryuk already had a holder, and they aren't dead. So he can't convert anyone else, yet. He could be a Holder and have been since the start of the game, though. But if that were the case, I think L would have told someone (probably Sheep) who could reveal to the thread, after he scanned as guilty. So barring secret role shenanigans, or an L who's unwilling to say that Joe scanned as Guilty (which seems very unlikely given his willingness to share his own role...), I'd say that Joe's probably not an eliminator.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by Elbereth