Secret History Reactions [Secret History Spoilers]

Chaos

Just finished this one. I have to be honest, I have not liked any "Mistborn Adventure" novels until Bands of Mourning which I really ended up loving. In my mind Brandon put new life into Scadrial and now has mystery everywhere in that world that I really want to know about. 

So, with that in mind, I was pretty let down by Mistborn: Secret History. I'm just giving my honest reaction, and haven't read any posts on this board yet (although I plan to), but the main reason I was let down was b/c it didn't seem to add anything (at all) to Kelsier's character or the story of Mistborn and it kind of hurt a few other characters IMO (Lord Ruler really took a blow here IMO). Felt like some sort of fan-fiction and I'm not sure Brandon should have published it...but whatever...a batting average of .900 will still get you in the hall of fame...just didn't see the appeal of this one. 

Maybe after I browse this board a bit I'll feel differently...IDK. 

Edited by dayman

I loved it a lot. I understand why a lot of people on here didn't enjoy it, because in a way it was sort of "tagged on" to the first Mistborn trilogy. However, this is the exact story I've been wanting ever since I found out the Kelsier hadn't actually moved on after he died. I was hoping for closure, but a loose end with lots of possibility is fine with  me too. I've been a bit of an emotional wreck for the past few days after reading it, though. I'm very concerned about if Kell ever /will/ be able to move on some day. Three years alone was enough to really mess with his head, and if he stays trapped in the cognitive realm for the rest of eternity... well, who knows, but yeah, I'm worried.

I read it a week ago, but now I think I've finished processing it. Time to dive in!

First up: Vin's Ascension is still the most awesome moment in the entire Cosmere. Still gives me shivers.

Second: So the Elantrians drink bottled Investiture. What does it taste like?

Third: How many different Cosmere elements can I pack into a single sentence describing this story?

Elantrians from Sel are using a fabrial of Rosharan design to detect Threondite shades while on their way to Scadrial to collect a dying shard from Yolen, which is being investigated by a worldhopper from Taldain.

Finally: Is it possible for Kelsier to become more awesome than he already is?

As a major Theoryweaver, I have only one thing to say about the Realmatic Theory revealed, especially about the Realmatics and Connection involved in taking up a Shard:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! So much info!

Also, the worldhopping Elantrians/Arelish/Teodish people were a nice touch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've not seen anyone mention this...

What is up with the knife Nazh gives Kel? It apparently looks like metal, but doesn't glow like all other metals Kel can see. 

Is it just something like ceramic or plastic? Maybe Invested/Awakened? Dead Shardblade? I want answers, darnit!

I think it doesn't glow because it is not from Scadrial so it doesn't have Ruin and Preservation in it. The metal from his planet could be less invested (except for silver perhaps?). The living humans would still glow (if they did glow) because of investment.

I think it doesn't glow because it is not from Scadrial so it doesn't have Ruin and Preservation in it. The metal from his planet could be less invested (except for silver perhaps?). The living humans would still glow (if they did glow) because of investment.

Scadrial metal isn't even invested in the first place.

All I gotta say is this: Kelsier Punch Man. Defeated a former god with one punch, sending him into the Beyond. He's Back. With Style. Eager to see which part of the Cosmere he ends up vandalizing (and robbing of all valuables) next.

• 2 weeks later...

When I tapped open the first page on my Kindle and read, "Kelsier burned the Eleventh Metal." I broke into an ear-to-ear grin.

Other moments of delight that made my wife wonder if I was OK:

• Kelsier punching Leras
  • "Not with that attitude"
  • Hoid rowing in
  • Kelsier winning the insult battle
  • Kelsier meeting Khriss and Nazh

I love how the first instinct as a reader is, "Awwwww, they're gonna end up being buds." But WoB confirm if they ever had dinner together they'd try to kill each other.

Secret History kind of feels like a set-up for a rivalry character arc between Hoid and Kelsier. Working for the same goal in all likelihood, but utterly incapable of working with one another. I half-expect something like that going down in future Cosmere books.

Edited by Varangian

• 4 weeks later...

I've just read Secret History and really loved it, great supplement to the Mistborn trilogy.

But English is not my native, so I wonder if I've missed something. At the end, Kelsier used hemalurgy to stay and contact with Spook because it was his decision still not to go to the Beyond, or since he once decide to resist, now he wasn't able to follow Vin&Elend?

I think we don't have a Wob about... I read it as "once you avoided the Beyond you can't simply decide to go ... Beyond" but it's unclear if I have right

Edited by Yata

A lot of undead in fantasy settings such as ghosts are stuck here until some goal they put great importance in is complete. I always assumed cognitive shadows worked the same way. If so, when Kelsier is realyl ready to to the Beyond, he should be able to. We don't really have much to go on though, so who knows how the Cosmere works. I'm just drawing parallels to some common tropes.