Upvotes and Downvotes

KaIadin

Wow, you guys really do like your arrows! I would like to step in here and answer a question I've seen pop up a lot, and I don't think has truly been answered. More than a few have asked how the new use devalues the system when compared to the old use. The answer, I think, is in the word chose. Devalue, as in value is now less.

Imagine, if you will, someone who has a mental disorder that causes them to be unable to touch a single person. Now imagine that person gave you a hug. The fact that this person took time to do something extra means the world to you. Now, let's have that person get better. They can now hug you each time you meet. A few months later, and they are cuddling, and sitting on your lap, and joking around like there's nothing to it.

Which set of hugs will you remember? It won't be those ones at the end where it's a throw away "oh, hi!" It's the ones where they took extra time, and did something that was hard on them.

In a similar vein, the votes on the site used to be used to show that you found something of value in a post (that value did very from person to person.) It was something that would stay with you for a period after you moved onto something different. Now, I'm willing to bet most people couldn't tell me what the they spent their last ten upvotes on.

There is no need to align the different mentalities. We don't care if you use your upvotes to show appreciation for a meme, or because you are impressed with the time invested in a post. We just want to make sure the votes are used to show it is something you value.

While I'm here, I have a question for those of you who have been here for a longer time and have stood witness to this change in voting patterns : Do you bear ill will towards the less serious "new generation" of Sharders?

As one of the oldest users on the site, I can say I actually love a lot of the new posts. I used to be able to keep up with the theories... and then they went way over my head, and I stop being as active. I can't follow the topics like "random stuff" simply due to time constraints, but one of my favorite topics to follow is the memes thread. But, just like above, I've only given a couple of votes out because I found I valued the content.

I didn't realize that the staff had made an effort to make 17S more than just heavy theorizing. Could one of you elaborate on that?

It has been a huge priority for many, many years to not have the perception that 17th Shard was "Theoryland for Brandon" and to have more widespread appeal. This is still a perception issue that we are working on. Years ago we had many staff discussions on what topics to make to change this perception. Now the community is relatively self-sustaining in this regard.

Changes to the forum layout also allowed to different groups of non-theory based discussion to flourish. For example, the General Brandon Discussion forum didn't exist. It seems so obvious but a good forum layout takes a lot of iteration and thought.

Splintercast is another important pillar in appealing to a wider audience. It is much more character based than talking about the minutiae of the cosmere, and so it has a different group of people who would listen to it than more a more theoretical podcast. (There's other reasons why Shardkeepers isn't a thing right now, but this is a factor.)

I'd say that achieving this wider appeal is one of our top goals, in addition to such things as making the News section useful and timely to our visitors (with value gain on top of just Brandon's site), podcasts, and site updates. It's pretty top tier. It's really hard to advance all of these goals at once...

Hey guys. I have been busy (especially with various Bands prepping), so we have not finished doing the finalized drafting of the reputation guideline topic. But, I did want to say that I have increased the upvote quota a bit, as promised :)

I'm confused as to how things are timed with the quota. I was online last night around 11pm Mountain Time and hit the quota. Then today at about 2pm I hit the quota again after only upvoting like maybe 5 people. Does this mean that the quota doesn't fully reset at midnight, but rather lets your available upvotes trickle back in a full 24 hours after you used them?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I have been busy (especially with various Bands prepping), so we have not finished doing the finalized drafting of the reputation guideline topic. But, I did want to say that I have increased the upvote quota a bit, as promised :)

So, how is the work on guideline going? :)