Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

19 hours ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Depends. If an inquiry were made,  it can go down.  If you don't use credit cards enough,  it goes down. If you use your debit/ credit cards in disreputable neighborhoods, it can go down (use cash instead! )

Hope it didn't go down too much! 

Please tell me I misunderstand and they're not tracking where (not which stores but physically where) you use your cards to pay.

6 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Please tell me I misunderstand and they're not tracking where (not which stores but physically where) you use your cards to pay.

3 hours ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Of course they are. It's also how you would normally find out if your information was stolen. 

There's a difference between your credit card issuer knowing where you use it (unavoidable and completely necessary) and the credit bureaus knowing, hence it affecting your score or credit report. Where you use your cards shouldn't affect your credit score at all.

Spent way, way too long searching for a bug in my code. I was loosing my mind over this. It was just a simple merge sort, nothing that should give me any trouble yet it refused to work! I had no idea why it did not work properly.

I even went step by step through merge sort algorithm, with doing visualisations of every step and how the arrays looked like. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. I started doubting my sanity here: either my code was haunted or somehow I both understood and not understood the algorithm at the same time.

The bug? I named arrays in the merge function respectively "left" and "right". I accidentaly wrote "left" instead of "right" in one condition and my brain somehow kept reading it "right" so I didn't notice the bug. For like over three hours I was looking in all the wrong places. Then, just before I started hitting the keyboard with my head, my eyes just wandered and I noticed "hey, why am I comparing elements of the same arr... THERE YOU ARE".

Guess who is gonna be sleepy tomorrow? I feel my name is dead giveaway...

Edited by Oversleep

30 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Spent way, way too long searching for a bug in my code. I was loosing my mind over this. It was just a simple merge sort, nothing that should give me any trouble yet it refused to work! I had no idea why it did not work properly.

I even went step by step through merge sort algorithm, with doing visualisations of every step and how the arrays looked like. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. I started doubting my sanity here: either my code was haunted or somehow I both understood and not understood the algorithm at the same time.

The bug? I named arrays in the merge function respectively "left" and "right". I accidentaly wrote "left" instead of "right" in one condition and my brain somehow kept reading it "right" so I didn't notice the bug. For like over three hours I was looking in all the wrong places. Then, just before I started hitting the keyboard with my head, my eyes just wandered and I noticed "hey, why am I comparing elements of the same arr... THERE YOU ARE".

Guess who is gonna be sleepy tomorrow? I feel my name is dead giveaway...

Sounds annoying...

1 minute ago, Jedal said:

I'm a storming idiot. I've spent all night just storming around on my laptop when I haven't done any of my homework or worked on my essay which is due tomorrow. I make myself angry.

Sounds like you should get off the 17th shard and get working on your homework:P

31 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Sounds like you should get off the 17th shard and get working on your homework:P

Got an extension on the essay, finishing up my second out of three subjects...I'm almost good to go!

8 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

There's this kid at school who I think doesn't like me. He has certainly given me proof, but is not obvious to anyone else.

What do I do????

Well, first of all, not everyone has to like everybody. If it's not causing any troubles, just ignore him I guess. 

45 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

Today I found out that my school actively and secretively discouraged a new adviser from taking up Make-A-Wish, from the source of another teacher.

I am so angry.

And now they're using fearmongering to convince me to stay, telling me that my drop from #1 in my class to #3 in my new school will be "a major hit" to my attractiveness to colleges. Yeah, that's right. Take away what I love, then try to cow me into sticking with your filthy operation.

The good news is that they're currently getting nuked in the press for saying that spending 700,000 dollars they didn't have on renovations wasn't fiscally irresponsible. 

Image result for squint

That...wow...*hugs* 

Is there anyway to report this? 

1 hour ago, Cognizantastic said:

Today I found out that my school actively and secretively discouraged a new adviser from taking up Make-A-Wish, from the source of another teacher.

I am so angry.

And now they're using fearmongering to convince me to stay, telling me that my drop from #1 in my class to #3 in my new school will be "a major hit" to my attractiveness to colleges. Yeah, that's right. Take away what I love, then try to cow me into sticking with your filthy operation.

The good news is that they're currently getting nuked in the press for saying that spending 700,000 dollars they didn't have on renovations wasn't fiscally irresponsible. 

*hugs* I'm sorry to hear all that.

5 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

I am so angry.

Wouldn't it be a shame if the press happened to find out about this? :ph34r: (I mean, yes, you'd need some kind of evidence to substantiate the claim, but still. That's messed up and they should be held accountable.)

6 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Well, first of all, not everyone has to like everybody. If it's not causing any troubles, just ignore him I guess. 

That's gonna be hard. He sits right in front of me.

(I'm really surprised he acts the way he does! We're supposed to be sophomores, and he's acting like we are in the sixth grade.)

1 hour ago, Captains Domon said:

(I'm really surprised he acts the way he does! We're supposed to be sophomores, and he's acting like we are in the sixth grade.)

So it's not just that he doesnt like you. He's bullying you? You could take that to authorities. 

1 hour ago, Captains Domon said:

So he's being really childish? Ugh, we have some people like that...not many, but there's still a few. If it's really extreme, I agree with Delightful's advise, and anything less, if it interferes with your learning, at least tell someone.

7 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

I am so angry.

Is this a private school? Honestly if your school is being so dishonest, you should probably tell someone. If they're trying to threaten you and are trying to stop people from doing things, I would think it's kinda illegal.

49 minutes ago, Delightfully Smoak said:

So it's not just that he doesnt like you. He's bullying you? You could take that to authorities.

45 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

So he's being really childish? Ugh, we have some people like that...not many, but there's still a few. If it's really extreme, I agree with Delightful's advise, and anything less, if it interferes with your learning, at least tell someone.

He kind of throws a veiled insult at me, then acts like he didn't say anything. He treats me like a rock. I hate it.

37 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

The leak would be immediately traced back to me, and if not, another person I'm close to would be blamed. As angry as I am, I don't want to deal with the fallout of bringing bad press on the school.

Besides, it'd be wrong of me. Yes, I'm furious with a few administrative figures, but I'm also deeply appreciative of the school. It gave me the right place I needed at a tumultuous time to develop significantly as an individual. I'd be disgusted with myself if I betrayed them like that.

You have more integrity than 80% of school administration and 98% of government officials, then. -_- 

38 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

Do you want to know the worst part? The school's motto is "Courage, Generosity, and Honor."

Courage. What's courageous about sneaking around to end groups' chances at returning?

Generosity. What's generous about pulverizing a freaking 100% charitable organization on your own campus?

Honor. What's honorable about employing underhanded tactics to keep the students you manipulate?

If I've learned one thing from both attending and working in schools, it's that school mottos are just there to sound nice. My alma mater's motto was "Dignity, Class, and Respect"….a motto that was thoroughly broken when a bully of a teacher had administration strong-arm the dance team coach into leaving her post, allowing the bully teacher to take it up. The real irony here is that after the bully teacher took up the post, the dance team went from winning medals at statewide and national competitions to barely placing. <_< 

46 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

They just want to keep posting newspaper articles about my scholarships and achievements on their Facebook, and pinning printouts on the corkboard. I walked past one of those on the way to get manipulated in the counselor's office. 

Hmm….is there a way you could request to have your name and picture omitted from these postings? Say it infringes on your privacy and revoke your consent. That would take the wind out of their sails. 

It's not a major thing, but I've started being sick in my dreams. I still don't have the pain when I'm dreaming (thankfully), but now it's quite common for me to know in a dream that I'm sick and not up to doing things. Apparently my perception of myself as being sick has finally grown strong enough to infiltrate my dreaming mind *yay*.

7 minutes ago, Claincy said:

It's not a major thing, but I've started being sick in my dreams. I still don't have the pain when I'm dreaming (thankfully), but now it's quite common for me to know in a dream that I'm sick and not up to doing things. Apparently my perception of myself as being sick has finally grown strong enough to infiltrate my dreaming mind *yay*.

That sucks, no Stormlight healing for you then :(

I hope you'll get better dreams soon!

@Cognizantastic what Twi said: if integrity was stormlight you'd be a miniature sun. 

2 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

He kind of throws a veiled insult at me, then acts like he didn't say anything. He treats me like a rock. I hate it.

My suggestion is start writing down what he says to you. It'll be proof if things get worse. And possibly, show them to someone. Just because it's a veiled insult doesn't mean it isn't an insult. Another perspective might help.