Annoying Non-Readers...

Vander

It looks like someone is onto his tricks. That topic got frozen before a single reply could be added. That guy has to be a total troll, though. It seems like he fully understands the books and is specifically criticizing things, as if he does not understand them, that he knows will make fans angry. He claims that the magic systems are arbitrary and not planned out well. He alleges that the book was written much too quickly for it to be any good. He ridicules the "I am a stick" scene, which is a near-universal fan favorite. He ridicules everyone's grammar while simultaneously ignoring any and all grammatical conventions himself, and he accuses others of not arguing the point at hand and using personal attacks, when this is in fact his primary tactic. I'm not sure what would make someone want to troll the Sanderson fandom, specifically, but it looks like he wants to.

So I have a friend and he and I read the Kingkiller books together which we both liked (well the first one at least). I tied getting him to read WoK and he said the book was to long... Seriously I don't know the exact page counts but they are both pretty close. 

Sanderson is one of only a few authors that I know will never disappoint me (and I don't have to wait 5+ years between books). In fact I was sure I would hate Reckoners and now I am chomping at the bit for Calamity. He doesn't seem to be able to put out a bad book which I appreciate a lot more as I am reading the WoT series for the first time currently.  Drives me crazy people that do not see the light. 

So I have a friend and he and I read the Kingkiller books together which we both liked (well the first one at least). I tied getting him to read WoK and he said the book was to long... Seriously I don't know the exact page counts but they are both pretty close. 

Sanderson is one of only a few authors that I know will never disappoint me (and I don't have to wait 5+ years between books). In fact I was sure I would hate Reckoners and now I am chomping at the bit for Calamity. He doesn't seem to be able to put out a bad book which I appreciate a lot more as I am reading the WoT series for the first time currently.  Drives me crazy people that do not see the light. 

Books and authors can't appeal to everyone... even Brandon recognizes this as I have seen him not recommend his own books to certain readers as, based on their preferences, he didn't think they would enjoy them. I have also read decent, well structured negative critics of Brandon's work. However, I was, sadly, also read quite a bit of Brandon bashing... especially on Reddit. It seems trashing his work has become a new hobby for many and it frankly is unnerving. 

As I said, books and authors can't appeal to everyone, but I have a serious case of anger when I read people trying to discredit it for the shake of discrediting it or worst simply because "it gets mentioned too often".  :rolleyes:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have been reading this thread since it started  :ph34r: I seriously wonder why people even bothered to answer to this lunatic  :blink: I have read well formulated and fair negative critics of the Stormlight Archives (after all, a book can't appeal to everyone and why we all love it, there are people who wouldn't like it), but that one is so horrible it has gotten pathetic. The guy clearly has reading issues: he complains about how the world is built claiming it should have been done differently  :o

Anyway, anything on the Goodread forums is terrible, IMO. 

I started reading this and thought you were talking about me...

*aborts hacking*

Vander, this person is noth worth hating. It's just some fool wasting pixel space ranting about a book he doesn't understand.

Walk away and wash your hands carefully.

Hey! That... is a very good point. Hands washed, walking away. 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I meant the crazy dude, Andrew, not you. I have reading his delirium for a while.

I know; otherwise... *cracks knuckles*

Ouch! I think I snapped something...

Ok, anyone know how to improvise a splint?

Edited by Vander Honorsworn

Im not even met with immaturity. Just straight up apathy. Been trying for 4 years to get SOMEONE I KNOW to read Mistborn, SA, Warbreaker. Hell, Ive tried to get them to read a small little Novela. Blank, glassy stare

I have this same problem!  I finally got my sister to read Mistborn after 2 years....  WoK took even longer!  I've told co-workers, friends, anyone who will listen.  They seem to be intimidated by how thick the book is.

I have this same problem!  I finally got my sister to read Mistborn after 2 years....  WoK took even longer!  I've told co-workers, friends, anyone who will listen.  They seem to be intimidated by how thick the book is.

I didn't address this earlier, but that is so completely true. It's quite frustrating, actually.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what Cosmere book I should go for next: Mistborn or Elantris?

Regarding that horrible, horrible, excuse for a Book Review:

stupid.jpg

Although I do agree, he is definitely a troll.

Ugh. He makes me want to boil my head in bleach.

Edited by Baine

I've actually had my brother and best friend agree to listen to an audio book. Now I just have to figure out which one I'm gonna start them with, and how to get them to ACTUALLY listen to it. Should prob start with Mistborn I think. But hey, its a start!

I didn't address this earlier, but that is so completely true. It's quite frustrating, actually.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what Cosmere book I should go for next: Mistborn or Elantris?

I went with Mistborn, simply because I didnt even know Elantris existed at the time. But if youre already in love with Brandons writing and magic sytems, then go with Elantris.

I went with Mistborn, simply because I didnt even know Elantris existed at the time. But if youre already in love with Brandons writing and magic sytems, then go with Elantris.

Hmm... okay. I guess Mistborn will be the last one, then. 

By the way: I keep seeing all these "Ookla" names... ???

With people talking about people being intimidated by WoK's length, it reminded me of the first time I heard a recommendation for Sanderson's work. We had an English task in which we had to write a speech in which we talked about a book recommendation. A friend in my class did WoK.

In it, he did mention the length. I'm can't remember the exact wording now, but it was brilliant.

I've always wondered how I would have reacted to Elantris if I had read it before Mistborn. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I'd say that liking Mistborn better than Elantris is probably the more common opinion. When I read Elantris a second time, I realized that it is much better than I remembered. Based on my reaction (though, of course, I don't know if you'll react the same way), I'd recommend reading Elantris first. The story does come first, chronologically, anyway. To be fair, that doesn't really matter, but still...

Don't have a sister :(

On the bright side, makes it less awkward to watch My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Which doesn't count for much, because it's still very awkward.

Wish I could get some other relative to read it though.

I think the main problem is just that people think it's too big: they don't want to read something like that on a suggestion. Maybe... strategically place copies of the books in multiple locations, until they think "Ah, might as well."