Annoying Non-Readers...

Vander

How hasn't Andrew been banned??? I will feed him to Nightblood, although I doubt even Nightblood will even be able to digest his Investiture.

One wonders how he has avoided it, yes. 

Meanwhile, what investiture? As far as I'm concerned, he's sold his Breath long ago.

I had lots of Stormlight until I read his posts.

Aaaaaand it's gone. (Not in the mood to make a meme right now. Just imagine it.)

For those who don't understand the reference, it's when Kaladin gets angry at Vasher in the swordfight, goes to beat him, and loses his Stormlight.

Edited by Stormgate

Mistborn is really important to cosmere. Its the most complete look into how everything may come together... In fact you may want to reread stormlight afterwards haha

To me Mistborn is the most complete/best fantasy series I have read. Turned the genre upside down for me.

Read Elantris first. It's good, but I don't think it's nearly as good as Mistborn. The first time I read it, I had just read Mistborn, and when I went back and re-read, I realized that it was a much better better story than I had initially thought. Some people think the exact opposite--that Elantris is better--but I'm pretty sure that my opinion is the more popular one. 

Either is cool for a number of reasons though. You may recall the Purelake Interlude in The Way of Kings, where the POV character talks to three guys who are abviously looking for Hoid (Wit). If you want to know something about them, you can! One of them is in Elantris (Galladon), one is in Mistborn (Demoux), and the last one, well, you'll have to wait for the White Sand graphic novel to come out (unless you ask Brandon to send you a copy), but his name is Baon.

Hey, I love The Wheel of Time. I was a latecomer to the series (I started The Eye of the World for the first time less than two years ago), but I've read the whole thing three times. Except New Spring. I've only read that once.

Ah, good to know. *writes down*  "Wheel of Time fan. Call in on vs. threads(?)"

Edited by Car'a'carn

WoT is still one of my favorites. Really deeply affected me. I felt like the dark one was negative thoughts personified and I would often use the flame and the void to clear my mind.

WoT is my favorite but the fact that Mistborn accomplishes so much in a trilogy makes it #1 for me.

Nothing beats WoT as far as my favorite but I never met anyone ib person who has read it despite my begging!

I know a couple of people who have read it. My brother-in-law has, and I hitched a ride with him and my sister back from a family reunion a few months ago. I ended up explaining the Cosmere at great length, and he was really interested. After a while, he asked my sister how she felt about us going on about fantasy books at great length, and she said that she hadn't been paying a lick of attention. So you can't win 'em all...

I've tried to convince my girlfriend to get into WoT or some of the Cosmere books. She actually read the first two Mistborn books several years ago, but she wasn't really into them and doesn't remember why exactly. She did read Shadows of Self because I was so excited about it when it came out (I told her she should read Alloy first, but...), and she said it was good. Also, she read The Way of Kings a few years ago. I have been unable to convince her to read WoR because she would have to reread TWoK, since she only remembers that she liked the book--nothing more. She tried to read The Eye of the World a few times and couldn't get into it.

So I've had limited success on that front.

Ugh. 

"Hey, Vander, do you have a book I can read?"

"Hmm... what genre?"

"Ummm.... I don't know? Sci-fi? Fantasy?"

"Oh, sure! Here's one. It's called Warbreaker, it's about-"

"Is this a book about a [courtesan]?"

"What?! No, there isn't..."

"Oh. I thought, you know, that it was about a [courtesan] because of how the girl on the cover is dressed. Ah, well. I don't want to read it.'

Also, there was a "Let's Read" that just made me sad. Here you are: 

https://ronanwills.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/lets-read-the-way-of-kings-prelude-prologue/

Word to the wise: ACTUALLY don't read this one. 

I actually read everything this guy was posting about TWoK (he managed to come till Ch. 17), and... it's worth your time, if you are more than a bit masochistic. He calls Brandon Sanderson "Branderson". He calls TWok predictable (well, Mistborn 1 was slightly (emphasis: slightly!) predictable, but TWoK?) without making a single prediction. He calls the names of the countries "randomly generated". Ah, well... Probably I'll make a fun post "let's read the let's read about TWoK...but I think it's not worth my time.

Can somebody say what the others were talking about? Most of them now fled fro the righteous fury of the 17th Shard.

Mistborn is really important to cosmere. Its the most complete look into how everything may come together... In fact you may want to reread stormlight afterwards haha

To me Mistborn is the most complete/best fantasy series I have read. Turned the genre upside down for me.

Same. After I discovered Sanderson I went into a reading frenzy for his books. I pretty much only read because and for him now. I read other books too, but not often because I'm still waiting on releases. Not to mention the fact that a book takes much less time to read than write... O man, I can't imagine how much work that is.

Maybe I'm lucky, lol. All of my friends I've told about it have found it a cool idea at least.

... Definitely lucky, I have told all my friends that like to read, even some that hate reading and I don't think any of them have even looked at one of his books :(

Some have seemed interested (maybe fake) and some just don't care. I wish I could express to them how truly amazing his books are.

• Chaos locked this topic