Still Having a Bad Day? Exchange Your Rants For Hugs Here!

Silverblade5

University of Waterloo. They sent me a form email saying that they'd only look at external applications if they couldn't find anyone qualified internally, so I'm thinking that one is probably a long shot.

I'd probably be fine with just permanent citizen status. If things move forward with any of the Canadian jobs I apply for, I'll research the exact requirements for citizenship and visas and everything, but for now I'll just focus on applying everywhere that takes my degree. :ph34r:

Australia? You should apply in Australia. And bring your pugs. :P

University of Waterloo. They sent me a form email saying that they'd only look at external applications if they couldn't find anyone qualified internally, so I'm thinking that one is probably a long shot.

I'd probably be fine with just permanent citizen status. If things move forward with any of the Canadian jobs I apply for, I'll research the exact requirements for citizenship and visas and everything, but for now I'll just focus on applying everywhere that takes my degree. :ph34r:

Yeah well it's kind of a rule... If you hire a foreigner it is because there is nobody local that can do the job... I guess the same is true for the States.

Waterloo is close to Niagara Falls....  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Permanent citizen status is what you get first, but if you like it there (by that I mean if you want to spend the rest of your life on Canadian soils), you may as well get the full citizenship. All of my colleagues got it. As I said, we hire a lot from other countries. 

Canada is a great country  :D  :D  :D

I'm pretty sure that you have to pay taxes to both Canada and the U.S. If you decide to get Canadian citizenship and keep your American citizenship. (I could be wrong) you also have to pay a hefty fee to renounce American citizenship(450-2350 USD)

Edit: actually never, you don't have to pay double taxes.

Edited by TCshard

Me and my GF have spent last night trying to catch a homeless kitten living on a parking lot, got to bed at 5AM and now I'm just struggling to stay awake at work... We didn't catch him :/ I hope that this night will go better as we'll use a trap.

*Sniffle* I can't decide which book to read next! I've got books of short stories, books of essays, novels, science fiction, fantasy... I know I should finish Peter F Hamilton's The Naked God, but that entire book it the very definition of word vomit... and I don't wanna! *sob*

I'll probably end up reading George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London... put off The Naked God for a while longer.

Edited by Orlion

*Sniffle* I can't decide which book to read next! I've got books of short stories, books of essays, novels, science fiction, fantasy... I know I should finish Peter F Hamilton's The Naked God, but that entire book it the very definition of word vomit... and I don't wanna! *sob*

I'll probably end up reading George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London... put off The Naked God for a while longer.

What's The Naked God about, and is it for a class or just because?

What's The Naked God about, and is it for a class or just because?

It's Book 3 of the Night's Dawn Trilogy. It was for fun, and kinda was for a bit... but sooooo much word vomit! Each book averages about 1100 pages, and, well, sometimes you can burn out.

So the trilogy essentially takes place in a fairly extensive galactic Confederacy with all sorts of planets with different cultures and economies. On a back-water planet, a portal to "hell" is accidentally opened causing the spirits of the dead to come through and possess the living. These Possessed, once they take over a planet, take the planet out of the universe so they do not have to worry about dying again. The Confederacy is trying to stop them while also dealing with the terrible widespread depression the discovery of an afterlife entails.

There's also trade deals, terrorism, magic, Satanists, Al Capone back from the dead trying to create a galactic empire, lots of badly written sex, and some aliens. And a sort of nuclear arms race as well.

It's big, it's somewhat unwieldy, which means some of the more pointless side stories are more frustrating... sheesh, some of the main ones are frustrating! (I mean, Al Capone? Really? There's only so much suspension my disbelief can take, Hamilton!)

It's Book 3 of the Night's Dawn Trilogy. It was for fun, and kinda was for a bit... but sooooo much word vomit! Each book averages about 1100 pages, and, well, sometimes you can burn out.

So the trilogy essentially takes place in a fairly extensive galactic Confederacy with all sorts of planets with different cultures and economies. On a back-water planet, a portal to "hell" is accidentally opened causing the spirits of the dead to come through and possess the living. These Possessed, once they take over a planet, take the planet out of the universe so they do not have to worry about dying again. The Confederacy is trying to stop them while also dealing with the terrible widespread depression the discovery of an afterlife entails.

There's also trade deals, terrorism, magic, Satanists, Al Capone back from the dead trying to create a galactic empire, lots of badly written sex, and some aliens. And a sort of nuclear arms race as well.

It's big, it's somewhat unwieldy, which means some of the more pointless side stories are more frustrating... sheesh, some of the main ones are frustrating! (I mean, Al Capone? Really? There's only so much suspension my disbelief can take, Hamilton!)

That sounds like it could be really interesting, but I usually shy away from doorstoppers on principle. Part of the reason why I stayed away from SA for a while was because books of that legnth are usually padded and bloated beyond any semblance of story--and part of why I wound up enjoying SA as much as I did is because a LOT happens in those 1000+ pages.

But yeah, Al Capone? Might work in a cheeky series, but it's hard to do justice to him in even historical fiction.

I'm pretty sure that you have to pay taxes to both Canada and the U.S. If you decide to get Canadian citizenship and keep your American citizenship. (I could be wrong) you also have to pay a hefty fee to renounce American citizenship(450-2350 USD)

Edit: actually never, you don't have to pay double taxes.

Canadian rules are if you live for more than 6 months in Canada, you have to pay the Canadian taxes on your income. Reversely to maintain your Canadian health insurance, you need to live for more than 6 months a year in Canada. I do not know what the American rules are, but if you live in Canada and you work in Canada for the fiscal entire year, I doubt you have to send your taxes to the States... I can ask my American colleague though, he would know.

Most of my French colleagues have kept their French citizenship...

Problems usually arise when you partially work in both countries. I can ask around though. As I said, many of my colleagues are immigrants.

Me: I can adult! I know what it'll take to adult in the real world where I'll be adulting all the time and I'll be soooo good at adulting!

Real World: LOL nope! You're just a stupid kid, I even have evidence!

Me: But I'll get better. Just give me a chance.

Real World: Too late. Someone better than you is going to take that opportunity and deserve it more than you ever did!

Me: I can adult! I know what it'll take to adult in the real world where I'll be adulting all the time and I'll be soooo good at adulting!

Real World: LOL nope! You're just a stupid kid, I even have evidence!

Me: But I'll get better. Just give me a chance.

Real World: Too late. Someone better than you is going to take that opportunity and deserve it more than you ever did!

From everyone I've talked to and my own experiences we're all really still silly kids trying to fake being a mythical being known as an "adult". :P

I really don't think animal control would be willing to put traps up around with all the other Louisiana critters that would wind up in them.

I ll spoilers my next statement so cat/animal lovers probably shouldn't read it.

its not uncommon over the past 2 months now to hear them start screaming and a few minutes later to hear shotguns firing

It's really gotten bad in 2015 as they've been breeding like mad. I live in unincorporated town so it's not against the law to open front door and do this as much as you want anytime of day.

I ll call but I know they'll tell me no.

Ha ha, you're hilarious.

*Pats mail mi on the shoulder in a generally comforting way, and hurriedly stops himself from telling sad story about his ex*

Really need to run, I desperately need the regular exercise again, but it's just so storming hot and humid! Might end up using the treadmill because its just miserable outside.

ok last night i went from being really happy to being extremely frustrated with everything to being sad and numb in about twenty minutes because of homework and I don't think that's healthy.

I'm starting to know how you feel. I've already flunked a couple homework assignments, and it's only like week two. Curse this terrible short-term memory...

Well i had an excellent run....inside...last night on the treadmill and did really well for my chin ups and pull ups so that makes me feel really good. Still it's crazy humid and hot right now, and every time I go into the classroom at the highschool I can feel myself melting. I'm even one of the lucky ones by the fan. I don't think a single one of us understood what we we covered in class today, or even just the how to do it. Luckily there is youtube!

Kind of a consolation prize though, I over heard the guy next to me say that he was probably learning more from me giving him some help as the class reviews the problems than he learns from the teacher.