Still Having a Bad Day? Exchange Your Rants For Hugs Here!

Silverblade5

Canadian rules are if you live for more than 6 months in Canada, you have to pay the Canadian taxes on your income. Reversely to maintain your Canadian health insurance, you need to live for more than 6 months a year in Canada. I do not know what the American rules are, but if you live in Canada and you work in Canada for the fiscal entire year, I doubt you have to send your taxes to the States... I can ask my American colleague though, he would know.

Most of my French colleagues have kept their French citizenship...

Problems usually arise when you partially work in both countries. I can ask around though. As I said, many of my colleagues are immigrants.

You do have to pay income taxes to the States, regardless of where you live.  If you're an American citizen, you pays your taxes, or you gets in trouble.

You do have to pay income taxes to the States, regardless of where you live.  If you're an American citizen, you pays your taxes, or you gets in trouble.

So what you do is gain a citizenship in a country that doesn't do do that, then live in America (at least part time) anyway. Ireland is the usual choice in the UK, I understand.

Really??? That seems strange... You mean you can't immigrate if you are an American citizen? I'll ask my colleague, he's American.

I mean, if you work in Canada and you live in Canada, you pay the Canadian taxes. You can't pay taxes for two countries, does not make sense. Besides, if you do not have residence in the States, how are they going to decide which State taxes or town taxes you are supposed to pay?

Edited by maxal

Really??? That seems strange... You mean you can't immigrate if you are an American citizen? I'll ask my colleague, he's American.

Oh, you can emigrate to another country.  But you still have to pay US federal income tax on whatever you make in that other country.  It's pretty rough, really.

Oh, you can emigrate to another country.  But you still have to pay US federal income tax on whatever you make in that other country.  It's pretty rough, really.

Just found my answer. It says you have to fill-in your income report to the American authorities, but if you have paid enough Canadian taxes, you won't be ask to pay again. However, you do have a lot of paperwork to fill in.

In other words, you don't pay taxes for both countries (unless your time period make it you need to), but you are required to fill in both countries taxes return. If you don't, then you pay a penalty.

Oh, you can emigrate to another country. But you still have to pay US federal income tax on whatever you make in that other country. It's pretty rough, really.

This was the thing I was unsure about, I thought I remembered a few stories about how it sucks to be dual citizens of both Canada and the U.S. Because of taxes. This is also why some people drop their American citizenship and I'm pretty sure why the fee to renounce your citizenship is currently so high.

This was the thing I was unsure about, I thought I remembered a few stories about how it sucks to be dual citizens of both Canada and the U.S. Because of taxes. This is also why some people drop their American citizenship and I'm pretty sure why the fee to renounce your citizenship is currently so high.

Yeah well who wants to fill in two taxes report?

Oh yeah, Quebec citizens  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  Luckily, the software does it automatically.

Just found my answer. It says you have to fill-in your income report to the American authorities, but if you have paid enough Canadian taxes, you won't be ask to pay again. However, you do have a lot of paperwork to fill in.

In other words, you don't pay taxes for both countries (unless your time period make it you need to), but you are required to fill in both countries taxes return. If you don't, then you pay a penalty.

I had a quip about the American government, but in the interest of not straying into political territory, I'll just say "That is super unfair and kind of ridiculous." <_<

ok last night i went from being really happy to being extremely frustrated with everything to being sad and numb in about twenty minutes because of homework and I don't think that's healthy.

The truth of this is unsettling. I should be studying for a big test tomorrow (actually, I have three :wacko:) but I'm just trying not to die at this point.

I'm starting to know how you feel. I've already flunked a couple homework assignments, and it's only like week two. Curse this terrible short-term memory...

Short-term memory. Oh yes.

I can remember useless facts for years, but ask me to remember that I have homework in Bio and I'll just... not...

Still frazzled about the moving stuff. My grades are transferred to the new school when we leave, so I have to try and keep my grades up while also packing all my stuff and trying to fit in sleep, friends, and the Shard. I feel like I'm attempting to juggle several armchairs at once.

I'm about to fail many homework assignments simultaneously, and a quiz tomorrow. It is currently 11:30 pm, and I have 3 days worth of assignments from different classes due tomorrow. One of these is an essay I've barely started. I'm currently considering just banging my head against the keyboard and hoping something coherent comes out.

I'm about to fail many homework assignments simultaneously, and a quiz tomorrow. It is currently 11:30 pm, and I have 3 days worth of assignments from different classes due tomorrow. One of these is an essay I've barely started. I'm currently considering just banging my head against the keyboard and hoping something coherent comes out.

One thing that's helped me in the past is to sit and write about all of the reasons why I can't write. "It's late, I'm tired, I'm no good at writing, this is going to sound like a monkey tried and failed to reproduce Shakespeare…" and so on. What that does is it gets your ideas flowing, and it tells your brain that you're ready to write. After you've written a bit about why you can't write, writing what you need to write should be easier. 

One thing that's helped me in the past is to sit and write about all of the reasons why I can't write. "It's late, I'm tired, I'm no good at writing, this is going to sound like a monkey tried and failed to reproduce Shakespeare…" and so on. What that does is it gets your ideas flowing, and it tells your brain that you're ready to write. After you've written a bit about why you can't write, writing what you need to write should be easier. 

Interesting... I'm going to have to give this a shot at some point.

It's not that I can't do it. It's that I'm so swamped that I won't be able to get to it after I finish my APUSH work. I'm going to fail. Worst part is, I had a little deal worked out about the CO signing that involved me getting everything done and turned in. On time. Now, I might not be able to go.

It's not that I can't do it. It's that I'm so swamped that I won't be able to get to it after I finish my APUSH work. I'm going to fail. Worst part is, I had a little deal worked out about the CO signing that involved me getting everything done and turned in. On time. Now, I might not be able to go.

Is there any way you can get up early to write something—anythingbefore classes tomorrow? Or get to the library during lunch to finish it? 

So... I've been kind of out of it lately. I'll be sitting at home, watching television or reading, or being online or whatever and then just...

Zap. All my enthusiasm, and energy will just vanish. Just suddenly get kind of fed up and down, and not enjoying things...

It's annoying, since there doesn't seem to be any reason. Just I'll be doing whatever and then "I don't even care anymore. I'll just do it wrong anyway, and I'm not that interested, and bleh..."

My mom thinks it might be a little bit of depression, but... honestly, I don't know. I don't want to say that it is that, since I don't know exactly what it is, and I don't want to insult people who are suffering from depression by implying that my lack of energy and enthusiasm and stuff is the same thing...

So, um... yeah. Sorry. Kind of a rant that didn't go anywhere, but it's one of the reasons why I've been posting less than I should be in stuff that... I really should be paying more attention too (SE, Heirs, Reckoners...)

Sorry. fluttershysad.png

So... I've been kind of out of it lately. I'll be sitting at home, watching television or reading, or being online or whatever and then just...

Zap. All my enthusiasm, and energy will just vanish. Just suddenly get kind of fed up and down, and not enjoying things...

It's annoying, since there doesn't seem to be any reason. Just I'll be doing whatever and then "I don't even care anymore. I'll just do it wrong anyway, and I'm not that interested, and bleh..."

My mom thinks it might be a little bit of depression, but... honestly, I don't know. I don't want to say that it is that, since I don't know exactly what it is, and I don't want to insult people who are suffering from depression by implying that my lack of energy and enthusiasm and stuff is the same thing...

So, um... yeah. Sorry. Kind of a rant that didn't go anywhere, but it's one of the reasons why I've been posting less than I should be in stuff that... I really should be paying more attention too (SE, Heirs, Reckoners...)

Sorry. fluttershysad.png

Well, if you can't find a cause, even after talking it over with someone, then a chemical imbalance in the brain is a likely possibility.

There are medical professionals that can help you diagnose what's going on. It could be a range of things from full-blown depression to mere vitamin D deficiency. Just do not self-diagnose, you aren't capable to make an accurate diagnosis nor able to treat it sufficiently.

And it's your health and well-being, no need to worry about what other people with "real problems" think... just get it taken care of!

Sorry. fluttershysad.png

Well, if you can't find a cause, even after talking it over with someone, then a chemical imbalance in the brain is a likely possibility.

Agreed.  A general lack of enthusiasm can be the start of the tip-over.  The sooner you get to a doctor to start getting a handle on things, the less you're going to fall and the easier it will be to get yourself back onto an even keel.

I am coming down with a cold, just in time for the three-day weekend.  *sigh*  Last night was so much sore throat.

And...spoiler tags for gross:

No, really, it's kind of disgusting.

Well, you can't say I didn't warn you.

This morning in the shower, I was working on trying to clear some of the gunk out that's causing my sore throat.  It's really, really thick.  To the point where I blew really hard and something flopped halfway out of my nose.  I took it and pulled, and out came this 2-inch long string of mucus the consistency of jelly.

I've dislodged my fair share of baby gelatinous cubes in my day, but that's the first time I've ever hacked up a jellyfish tentacle.

Non-gross version - I have really thick post nasal drip that is causing a sore throat.

This is just a harbinger of things to come.  I probably shouldn't complain too much; I mean, I generally only get sick once a year these days.  But it'd be nice if I could be like my husband and get sick practically never.