The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

A little bit. And I'm not sure you're right, given that Shallan only sees her spren in her pictures and Elhokar in the mirror, I think there might be kind of an "imaging" for blind, but susceptible people.

I was thinking more in terms of ironsight from Scadrial. They establish at some point that Vin sees the lines, even the ones behind her, even with her eyes closed, and obviously there are inquisitors. That might make a bad-chull warrior, someone who is blind and sees via spren...

Fair enough. I've just always thought it best to get all the information out there so that potential question-askers can evaluate which questions to pick out. :)

Edited by Kurkistan

/>I don't think the power of prayer / worship affects a being's own power. But Jaddeth being a "minor rock god" (or something to that effect) might tie him to TES.

Well IT might make it eaiser to him to use his power like how people Worshipng The Survivor make kelsier better at doing things in physical realm, so it is not exactly mmaking him stronger, but means he can do MORE things so its basically the same.

Well, if Kelsier held the power of Preservation doesn't that make him a Splinter? Or maybe a Sliver? Either of these would attribute some power to him.

firstRainbowRose (17 October 2008)
I just wanted to add in my two cents and say it was absolutely brilliant... and I think I'm starting to be able to breath again (crying that much hurts)...I also really loved that there's an "cameo" for Kelsier at the end... that made me really happy to see.
Brandon Sanderson (17 October 2008)

Glad you liked the book, Rainbow!

You may want to note that the moment Preservation dropped out and let the last of his consciousness die, someone was waiting in the Cognitive Realm to seize the power and hold on for a short period until Vin could take it up more fully. You'll find him using it to whisper in moments of great stress in the book, to one person in specific in two places. (I'll bet someone on here has already found them.)

He never could just let things well enough alone....

FootnoteThe person Brandon mentions is Spook. After the spike is removed, Kelsier prompts him to send the letter to Vin, and then prompts him to send people underground.

Unless we were made aware of how much power he had access to, I don't see how we would know if he was able to gain access to more power. I also don't think that their is loose investiture on Scadrial. Drop Kelsier on Sel or Roshar, and he might have a chance at taking up additional power, especially Roshar where some of the loose investiture was left behind by Adonalsium and may be unaspected power.

Splinter, definitely not. It's just not what Splinters are. Sliver, however, is possible. We know very little about how they work, but the definition of a Splinter does state that one must hold the power of a Shard and then lose it. That's all. Now, maybe there is an implication that only living people can be Splinters, but I can see how this could not be a real requirement, just a trend. After all, I can't imagine Preservation's situation being too common in the cosmere.

It makes sense, actually. Kelsier, hanging out in the Spiritual (?) Realm after his death snatched the power of Preservation, but without a living physical body, his influence over the Physical Realm could've been severely diminished. So he, unlike Vin or Sazed, couldn't move the planet around, or change the landscape, or play god - but he could talk to Spook. Likely because the kid really believed in him, and belief qualifies as a form of connectedness - something that canonically falls under the Spiritual Realm's domain.

That always bothered me - nothing I understand about the cosmere points towards the Cognitive as a possible waiting room. The souls of the dead go to the Spiritual. The power of the Shards likely comes from - and presumably goes back - there. Yet Kelsier goes to Shadesmar? I can see how his supposed divinity could be a cognitive thing, given that the Cognitive Realm deals with how others see you (and how you see yourself, but that's irrelevant here), but it still bothers me...

That always bothered me - nothing I understand about the cosmere points towards the Cognitive as a possible waiting room. The souls of the dead go to the Spiritual. The power of the Shards likely comes from - and presumably goes back - there. Yet Kelsier goes to Shadesmar? I can see how his supposed divinity could be a cognitive thing, given that the Cognitive Realm deals with how others see you (and how you see yourself, but that's irrelevant here), but it still bothers me...

The dead do not "go" to the Spiritual Realm, they pass through the higher Realms when they die but their  destination is beyond the Three Realms.  Kelsier decided to stick around instead of moving on.

Also Brandon explicity states that Kelsier is in the Cognitive Realm in the quote in Gloom's last post (#669)

1) How independently from Harmony's Intent is Sazed still able to act?

2) If something is out of harmony, Harmony will be compelled to restore harmony. Will Harmony's intent be satisfied if Scardial is in harmony, or will he eventually be driven to meddle in the whole Cosmere?

I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but for a long while I subconsciously equated Harmony with balance. I think it was due to the fact that when Ruin and Preservation were both perfectly balanced, it created Harmony. However, things can be unequal and still exist in harmony. So while Odium's meddling in Roshar may offend Harmony's Intent, the fact that Adonalsium is shattered may not concern Harmony as long as everything is in harmony. Then again, it was mentioned somewhere that prior to the Shattering, there was a force opposing Adonalsium. I like to think of it as Entropy, but that's just me. So if Harmony becomes aware of all of this, will he decide it's his job to reform Adonalsium in order to restore the original harmony, or would he be satisfied creating a new harmony?

(That last bit isn't meant to be a question. I just jotted down a few random musings that lead me to my two questions. Maybe they'll inspire better questions in someone else.)