The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I have a feeling Brandon has talked about this somewhere... I think that you are getting a real workout, but only a proportionate one. If your maximum benching weight is 200 lbs, and burning pewter ups it to 400, lifting those 400 will train your muscles the same way the "clean" 200 would. In other words, the additional weight lifted is handled by Preservation. 

Heh. Preservation is my spotter. Heh.

I have a feeling Brandon has talked about this somewhere... I think that you are getting a real workout, but only a proportionate one. If your maximum benching weight is 200 lbs, and burning pewter ups it to 400, lifting those 400 will train your muscles the same way the "clean" 200 would. In other words, the additional weight lifted is handled by Preservation. 

Heh. Preservation is my spotter. Heh.

Interesting. If he's answered, it's surely not worth a question, but I still wonder, which comes first? If I'm burning pewter and lift 200, do I get the benefit as though I'd lifted 200, and then it just doesn't help PAST that? Or if pewter grants me another 400lb of strength, do I only get the benefit when I start lifting 401? Or if I lift 300, does pewter take care of 2/3, and I get the benefit of the final 1/3? Or something between those three options?

/>It's my own understanding that "Harmony" doesn't really have an Intent. It's mostly just Sazed in the middle with Ruin and Preservation balancing each other out. I agree, though, in that I also doubt that Harmony is seeking to create some brute "balance."

I thought it was: "giving as many as possible the opportunity to make their own choices"

I have a question close to my heart: are there theatres or troupes of travelling Skaa players on Scadrial during the Final Empire?

@Kad There might well be. I think they would most likely have to be run by a noble or likely a very minor noble family though as skaa aren't allowed to travel except under instructions to do so.

This was the real reason they tolerated him-the reason even the timid peasants would harbor a man such as Kelsier, a skaa who defied the Lord Ruler's will by travelling from plantation to plantation.

Is there a line that implies non-plantation Skaa aren't allowed to travel? I mean, canal certainly travel, and merchant Skaa must. Is that line just because the plantation skaa are most oppressed of the skaa, or does it apply universally?

Even if it does apply Universally I can see it working, with the players legitimized by a noble patron, early modern England style.

EDIT: Yes this is because I want a Player crew or character for a MAG run.

Edited by Kadrok

Is there a line that implies non-plantation Skaa aren't allowed to travel? I mean, canal certainly travel, and merchant Skaa must. Is that line just because the plantation skaa are most oppressed of the skaa, or does it apply universally?

I'm quite sure (from the WoA, I think) that Skaa weren't allowed to travel. Elend was told about "passwalls":

"I interrogated the people who run passwalls," Felt continued. "I don't think they're to blame."

"Passwalls?"

Felt nodded. "Covert passages out of the city. Tunnels or the like."

"Such things exist?" Elend asked with surprise.

"Of course, my lord," Felt said. "Moving between cities was very difficult for skaa thieves during the Lord Ruler's reign. Everyone who entered Luthadel was subject to interview and interrogation. So, ways to get into the city covertly were very prevalent. Most of those have shut down—the ones who used to lower people up and down by ropes over the walls. A few are still running, but I don't think they are letting the spies in. Once that first well was poisoned, the passwalls all got paranoid that you'd come after them. Since then, they've only been letting people out of the city—ones who want to run from the besieged city and the like."

This is what I first remembered, and honestly I don't want to flip through all three books now (I think somewhere is more distinctly said that skaa mustn't travel).

I don't think there are any travelling skaa merchants and the canal's are run by noble houses. To my memory about the highest a skaa could get was to be a master craftsman, they wouldn't be traveling for that either.

Even if it does apply Universally I can see it working, with the players legitimized by a noble patron, early modern England style.

EDIT: Yes this is because I want a Player crew or character for a MAG run.

It could definitely work with a noble patron, though I expect there might need to be a minor noble traveling with them partly just to deal with other noble houses.

(I figured that was why you were wondering :) )

Some Warbreaker questions

Was the God King before Susebron the true born son of the God King before him?

The God King before Susebron was mentioned to have an elder sister who was not Returned.  What's her story?  Did she have the Royal Locks?

After the events of Warbreaker are any of the priests how knew the Returned-fertility-trick still alive?

[1] Was the God King before Susebron the true born son of the God King before him?

[3] After the events of Warbreaker are any of the priests how knew the Returned-fertility-trick still alive?

1. Likely not. Treledees tells Siri (before she is captured by Bluefingers) that the priests change the God Kings of Hallandren whenever a baby Returns somewhere in the kingdom. He also confirms that the God Kings are returned like any other - there is no royal line there, the only common denominator is that they all Returned as babies. This still doesn't explain how Vo had a child (who then became the ancestor of the entire royal line of Idris), but I think he is a separate issue.

3. Returned-fertility-trick?

1. Likely not. Treledees tells Siri (before she is captured by Bluefingers) that the priests change the God Kings of Hallandren whenever a baby Returns somewhere in the kingdom. He also confirms that the God Kings are returned like any other - there is no royal line there, the only common denominator is that they all Returned as babies. This still doesn't explain how Vo had a child (who then became the ancestor of the entire royal line of Idris), but I think he is a separate issue.

3. Returned-fertility-trick?

Returned can have children.  The priests do take an infant returning as a sign for the God King to be replaced but they would rather have his successor be his actual child.

I believe magic is Investiture. Kind of. Investiture is the power of the Shards, which in turn are aspects of the power of creation. So, in a way, Investiture is like... magical subatomic particles. The foundation of all creation. 

The qUestion is wyen you are a shard and you make a magic system lets say your shard is HAPPINESS if you make a magic system called happymancy do you need to always make happymancy require HAPPINESS INVESTITURE to work or can you say hey I invent happymancy and it needs ODIUM INVESTITURE so only voidbringers can use happymancy.

We believe this is how magic works - holding the Shard of, say, Preservation essentially makes you the God of Preservation. But that's the only godhood you have attained. So you can't create something that requires another Shard's power simply because you don't have access to it. That's like... Raoden using FjorDor.

In chapter 5 of The Final Empire, when Vin learns about the plan to take down the Lord Ruler, she says, "you could sooner stop the mists from flowing or the sun from rising." When you wrote that line, did you know you'd eventually have Vin do both of those specific things?

Does a Shard know when someone hops onto their world?

Is it like a bullet, a foreign object thrust violently into your zone of awareness?

Or is it like a germ, you don't realize you picked it up when it shook that guy's hand, you are only aware of it when it starts to make a ruckus?