The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

5 hours ago, Yata said:

Ruin kept creating Inquisitors with eyes spiked, therefore it's probably related to the Inquisitor trasformation than TLR design to give then some disadvantage.

Did he even create new Inquisitors or just kept adding new powers to the already existing ones?

1 hour ago, Argel said:

Well, we know Marsh was added to the ranks....

Marsh was added in the Final Empire, well before Ruin was released at the end of Well of Ascension. I think the question was "After Ruin was released did Ruin craft new Inquisitors or did he simply power-up the ones that were already available?"

We know that NIghtblood is one of the most difficult (or even the most difficult) things to affect with Steelpushing or Ironpulling.

But can he be Rioted or Soothed? I mean, metals piercing the body are hard to affect because of the Innate Investiture of humans, but humans are affected by Soothing just fine.

EDIT: Does Elantrian need to actually make the Aon with their own hands? What if Elantrian was a Lightweaver? Would Dor act through Lightweaved Aon? What if Elantrian Awakened rope and Commanded it to shape itself into an Aon?

Edited by Oversleep

Was Yolish lightweaving a purely cognitive magic?

Are the Parshendi related to Dragons? (if so) Are they themselves Dragons?

Do the cosmere magics we've seen require a transfer of energy separate from the investiture?

Edited by Emerald101
Correct tense + better wording

On 24-7-2016 at 2:05 AM, Oversleep said:

Does Elantrian need to actually make the Aon with their own hands? What if Elantrian was a Lightweaver? Would Dor act through Lightweaved Aon? What if Elantrian Awakened rope and Commanded it to shape itself into an Aon?

They can etch the aons into metal (they used this with Aon Tia to get around the city) and they can use paint brushes or even sticks to draw the Aons.

3 minutes ago, kenod said:

They can etch the aons into metal (they used this with Aon Tia to get around the city) and they can use paint brushes or even sticks to draw the Aons.

I know, that's why I am asking. But all these required Elantrian actively creating these Aons; Lightweaving (or Awakening) is one step separate from that as Elantrian is only the first link in the chain of creating the Aon.

Another question: We know that aluminium cannot be Forged; but could you make a (working) Stamp out of aluminium?

Edited by Oversleep

On 12.06.2016 at 11:38 AM, AnanasSpren said:

When you happen on something you forgot in a partial reread of WoK; Who did sigzil try to kill, why did it fail and what did Hold have to do with the situation?

I know that I already answered it, but I was wrong. You're talking about what Sigzil said near the end of the chapter 40 of WoK? He only said he tried to kill someone, but it turned out that the person survived. I think we have no WoBs on that (or I don't remember any).

On 26/7/2016 at 10:58 PM, Eki said:

Has Brandon confirmed if Vo really was the first Returned? And if so, why did no one Return before then? What changed?

No and instead in a WoB He didn't deny the possibility that Austre itself is a Returned. For your second question, there is no official confirm but on the forum many think that Endowment reacted to some Cosmere-Event and began to create Returned for his/her agenda

50 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Since Marsh is still around in the second trilogy... Does Marsh still have a large stash of atium during second era scadrial?

He took the bag from that one kandra who wanted to sell it to the humans at the end of HoA. He should still have quite a bit of that left, I think, but it won't last too long. Especially since you need more and more the older you "really" are. Unless Harmony gives him some atium (or the Pits are rediscovered), I doubt he'll live to the last trilogy.

Probably to the modern era one though. I bet Brandon had some cool idea for him in that trilogy, even before AoL was written.

Well the pits of hathsin only stopped producing for a few centuries... I bet by the modern era the pits will have started making atium again. Not sure if everyone will know about them; maybe they are only rediscovered in one of the modern era novels as part of the story. But I bet Marsh will know about them even if most people don't.

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Well the pits of hathsin only stopped producing for a few centuries... I bet by the modern era the pits will have started making atium again. Not sure if everyone will know about them; maybe they are only rediscovered in one of the modern era novels as part of the story. But I bet Marsh will know about them even if most people don't.

That's true, Marsh does have a direct connection to Harmony, after all. But we don't really know if Sazed changed how the production of atium works, either... I mean, Preservation seems to have had some kind of hand in all of that, in order to weaken Ruin. That's not necessary any more.

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I was pretty sure we had a WoB that neither the Pits or the Well still existed (as Shardpools). I could be remembering wrong, or reading more into a WoB than I should be, though.

jW

36 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I was pretty sure we had a WoB that neither the Pits or the Well still existed (as Shardpools). I could be remembering wrong, or reading more into a WoB than I should be, though.

jW

Maybe...

I wonder if that means there is a new shardpool for harmony.

Either way, I bet that at some point, atium will make a reappearance. I suspect it might be too cool of a metal to never see again.

3 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Maybe...

I wonder if that means there is a new shardpool for harmony.

Either way, I bet that at some point, atium will make a reappearance. I suspect it might be too cool of a metal to never see again.

There has to be at least one shardpool or some other perpendicularity, because people worldhop post-ash. One newspaper article seems to be about a Hunter exiting a shardpool south of the Basin. (Which makes sense, because we know of at least one worldhopping Hunter on Roshar.)

11 minutes ago, Eki said:

There has to be at least one shardpool or some other perpendicularity, because people worldhop post-ash. One newspaper article seems to be about a Hunter exiting a shardpool south of the Basin. (Which makes sense, because we know of at least one worldhopping Hunter on Roshar.)

Just one clarification there: the WoB at least implies that she isn't from Scadrial herself; most likely her parents or other ancestors were worldhopper, so her ancestry is SoScad, but she herself isn't, and thus wouldn't have necessarily needed a post Final Empire Shardpool.

jW

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

Just one clarification there: the WoB at least implies that she isn't from Scadrial herself; most likely her parents or other ancestors were worldhopper, so her ancestry is SoScad, but she herself isn't, and thus wouldn't have necessarily needed a post Final Empire Shardpool.

jW

I highly doubt a group of Hunters could have accessed the two shardpools we know existed before the Final Ascension. Even if they existed before TLR's Ascension, both pools were in Terris. So unless there was a third shardpool before, I'm sure they left after (or because) their lands went cold.

Just now, Eki said:

I highly doubt a group of Hunters could have accessed the two shardpools we know existed before the Final Ascension. Even if they existed before TLR's Ascension, both pools were in Terris. So unless there was a third shardpool before, I'm sure they left after (or because) their lands went cold.

I'd be amazed if a group of hunters could have gotten to northern Scadrial, found the Shardpool, and worldhopper out in time to have a descendent born offworld who becomes our lovable masked lady. They haven't had the airship technology that long, I didn't think (a good while inworld, but still not several generations ago), and if they were roaming around even in the Roughs, someone would have run across them. I get the impression the southern Scadrians haven't been to northern Scadrial very many times, and only fairly recently. My guess is they didn't use a pool to worldhop, but one of the other methods we're mostly unaware of, possibly with Secret History spoilers.

Spoiler

Kelsier's help.

jW

4 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I'd be amazed if a group of hunters could have gotten to northern Scadrial, found the Shardpool, and worldhopper out in time to have a descendent born offworld who becomes our lovable masked lady. They haven't had the airship technology that long, I didn't think (a good while inworld, but still not several generations ago), and if they were roaming around even in the Roughs, someone would have run across them. I get the impression the southern Scadrians haven't been to northern Scadrial very many times, and only fairly recently. My guess is they didn't use a pool to worldhop, but one of the other methods we're mostly unaware of, possibly with Secret History spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

Kelsier's help.

jW

The pool from the newspaper article is south of the Southern Roughs, and the person telling the story is, as far as we know, the first Northerner to ever see it (and survive). Who knows how often explorers from the north go into those mountains, but it can't be too often. We have no idea how far away those mountains are, or indeed how far away the Southern civilization is from that. I doubt you need an airship to get there, if you really put effort in.

I think I'll make a thread about the Hunters soon, because I've been thinking about this thing for a while.

That said, I have not yet read SH, so I dunno about that part. But I don't think it's unfeasible that the Southerners found the shardpool long before the Northerners did. They may be closer, and they are more motivated (especially the Hunters). I also think the Southerner from the newspaper article was an actual worldhopper, but who knows.

13 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

One thing to consider here... It is quite possible that a shardpool isn't the only type of perpendicularity. Those from southern scadrial might have access to a perpendicularity in the south that isn't a shardpool.

Actually, according to the Coppermind a Shardpool doesn't even have to be connected to a Shard, it can also be just a collection of Investure (the pool in Sixth of Dusk).