The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

On 7/31/2016 at 5:03 AM, kenod said:

Actually, according to the Coppermind a Shardpool doesn't even have to be connected to a Shard, it can also be just a collection of Investure (the pool in Sixth of Dusk).

Um, I think that might be someone writing strange info in the Coppermind again. I believe the definition of a Shardpool is definitely that it is connected to a Shard - it is a concentrated, physical manifestation of the Shard's Investiture in liquid form.

perpendicularity, on the other hand, does not, as far as I know, have to be a Shardpool nor connected to a Shard; though Shardpools are perpendicularities (a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square kind of thing - with the Shardpool being the square in this analogy haha). A perpendicularity is, again according to my knowledge, simply a large concentration of Investiture that eases access to the Cognitive Realm (and possibly does other stuff too?).

"Why did they name the sword Nightblood?" has been answered here: http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-warbreaker-chapter-fifty-one/ "Nightblood is named for the smoke he leaks, and he originally had a different name when he was created. Vasher himself dubbed the sword Nightblood after he had used it to kill the woman he loved."

4 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Um, I think that might be someone writing strange info in the Coppermind again. I believe the definition of a Shardpool is definitely that it is connected to a Shard - it is a concentrated, physical manifestation of the Shard's Investiture in liquid form.

perpendicularity, on the other hand, does not, as far as I know, have to be a Shardpool nor connected to a Shard; though Shardpools are perpendicularities (a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square kind of thing - with the Shardpool being the square in this analogy haha). A perpendicularity is, again according to my knowledge, simply a large concentration of Investiture that eases access to the Cognitive Realm (and possibly does other stuff too?).

Eh, "shardpool" isn't a canon term so doesn't really have a definition beyond what we, as fans, give it.  Regardless Patji's Eye is the same thing as the Well of Ascension or the Lake in the mountains above Elantris, just much smaller in scope.

1 minute ago, WeiryWriter said:

Eh, "shardpool" isn't a canon term so doesn't really have a definition beyond what we, as fans, give it.  Regardless Patji's Eye is the same thing as the Well of Ascension or the Lake in the mountains above Elantris, just much smaller in scope.

This is the question asked:

As you've stated that the magic of First of the Sun is natural and independent of any particular Shard, what is the nature of the pool on Patji? Is it also a natural manifestation of magic, a Perpendicularity, or simply a pool like any other?

And this is the answer Brandon gave:

It's a natural manifestation, but on a much smaller scale than you might find on other worlds.

While I understand that Brandon, out of necessity, gives quick replies note that he does not say it is a Perpendicularity; he simply calls it a "natural manifestation of magic" which I would interpret as a naturally occurring pool of Investiture. It is not linked to a Shard and it is not a Perpendicularity. I would, therefore, assert that what we see on First of the Sun is most definitely not a Shardpool and is not  the same as the Well or the pool in Elantris. And while we, as fans, can assign any meaning to any non-canon term we want I would think that we would also try and enforce at least some semblance of rational meaning. If any pool of Investiture is a "Shardpool" then how do we differentiate the naturally occurring ones (e.g. First of the Sun) from the pools that are actually occupied by a Shard/Shard's power/whatever-we-refer-to-Shard-stuff-as (e.g. Well of Ascension, Pits of Hathsin, etc.)? 

I would argue that we should probably just get rid of the term Shardpool altogether, as I really don't see a meaningful distinction between Patji's Eye and the Well beyond the nature of the Investiture involved but that is just my personal thought.

Here's how Leras describes the Well in Secret History:

“You told me this was your power,” Kelsier said, gesturing again at the Well, trying to get the god back on topic. “That it gathers here.”

“Yes, and elsewhere,” Preservation said. “But yes, here. Like dew collects, my power gathers in that spot. It is natural. A cycle: clouds, rain, river, humidity. You cannot press so much essence into a system without it congealing here and there.”

So the Well and Patji's Eye are both places where Investiture pools and collect, it's just that one is Shardic and the other isn't.

(I'll also point out that we use the term "Shardworld" for worlds that don't have Shards, so it wouldn't be revolutionary to use Shardpool for Shardpools that don't have Shards)

How about naming them all one term (like perpendicularities or  something like that) and the ones related to Shard's being named Shardpools? That way Shardpools would be a subclass of the general term.

Like: Every Shardpool is "the term" but not all "terms" are Shardpools?

Because Shardpool has a rather strong connection to the Shard, namewise.

53 minutes ago, WeiryWriter said:

(I'll also point out that we use the term "Shardworld" for worlds that don't have Shards, so it wouldn't be revolutionary to use Shardpool for Shardpools that don't have Shards)

Aren't those Shardworlds without a Shard minor while those with Shards major Shardworlds?

6 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

So the Well and Patji's Eye are both places where Investiture pools and collect, it's just that one is Shardic and the other isn't.

Is Patxi's Eye a Perpendicularity? The earlier WoB has Brandon not saying it is one. That, to me, is the big difference between the Well (a Shardpool) and the Eye. 

5 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Aren't those Shardworlds without a Shard minor while those with Shards major Shardworlds?

This. We distinguish between "major" and "minor" Shardworlds. 

13 hours ago, Oversleep said:

How about naming them all one term (like perpendicularities or  something like that) and the ones related to Shard's being named Shardpools? That way Shardpools would be a subclass of the general term.

Like: Every Shardpool is "the term" but not all "terms" are Shardpools?

Because Shardpool has a rather strong connection to the Shard, namewise.

8 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Is Patxi's Eye a Perpendicularity? The earlier WoB has Brandon not saying it is one. That, to me, is the big difference between the Well (a Shardpool) and the Eye. 

This. We distinguish between "major" and "minor" Shardworlds. 

Not all perpendicularities are Shardpools, from what I've understood from WoB's (though I don't know that he's come right out and said it), and we don't know if Pajti's Eye is one.  I agree somewhat that Shardpool can be a confusing term when it's not a Shard's pool, but the whole Major vs Minor Shardworld debate does kinda fly in the face of that distinction. :-P

I submit we should call them all Pools (with a capital P), with Shardpools being the ones on Major Shardworlds (or if there can also be other pools of investiture on those worlds, then only the ones containing the Shard's power), and keep Perpendicularity as a separate term for now.

EDIT: Should Honor, Devotion, and Dominion's Shardpools be called… Deadpools? *ba dum tss*

jW

Edited by Jondesu

On 8/5/2016 at 0:41 PM, Yata said:

If Odium didn't splinter a Shard after killed it. Would The Ex-Vessel's Cognitive Shadow be capable of pick up again the Shard or He/She needs an extra help?

according to SH if you are only Cognitive it's much harder for you to pick up a shard because without the Physical part you are just not enough but Kelsier manged it and the only help he needed was because he's not Connected enough to Preservation, so if the power is still whole the Cognitive Shadow should be able to take it

If a Mistborn swallowed a large piece of metal, say the size of a coin, and they began to choke on it, could the Mistborn burn it to get rid of it? Could they burn part of it to make it small enough to swallow? If yes, would they do this instinctively to stay alive, or would it require lots of concentration and practice? 

Do the lifeless break Conservation of Energy?

Since lifeless don't eat, they don't take in nutrients to burn for energy.
But they still move, which expends energy (and they can move a mass of 1 kilogram over a distance of 1 meter).
Unless I'm mistaken, that would mean lifeless cause a net increase of energy in the Cosmere.

7 hours ago, Eagle of the Forest Path said:

Do the lifeless break Conservation of Energy?

Since lifeless don't eat, they don't take in nutrients to burn for energy.
But they still move, which expends energy (and they can move a mass of 1 kilogram over a distance of 1 meter).
Unless I'm mistaken, that would mean lifeless cause a net increase of energy in the Cosmere.

They are artificial moved by Investiture, probably they slowly consumes Breath to performe their action (very very slowly)

Edited by Yata

5 hours ago, Yata said:

They are artificial moved by Investiture, probably they slowly consumed Breath to performe their action (very very slowly)

I believe it's stated or at least indicated that they do eventually stop working, so that would be a logical explanation.

jW

3 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I believe it's stated or at least indicated that they do eventually stop working, so that would be a logical explanation.

jW

That's actually explained another way on the Coppermind wiki, it's because they sometimes need to replace parts on lifeless, which means they get "farther removed from life".
And it's sourced, so it's trustworthy.

Edited by Eagle of the Forest Path

57 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

maybe Awakening is a bit more end-positive than we've been lead to believe?  it kind of holds for other awakened objects too, actually, if you think about it.

Breaths do degrade slowly over time (when used in Awakening), so I guess we could say it's powered on Breaths.

Like @Oversleep said Breath slowly consumed itself when used... It's a really slow process but for example if I keep an Awakened sharf to do something for years probably some of the breath would be expired.

NEW QUESTION (another of my nocturn mind trip):
Is the Moon Sceptre (with probably another name or function) a pre-Shattering tool ?

How does the Seon telecommunication link work exactly? Can the Skaze do the same or similar?

Are there multiple Seons that have the same aon? 

What effect does the Aon have on a Seon?

Are there any other parts to Seons?

Could an Elantrian create a Seon?

7 minutes ago, AnanasSpren said:

Are there multiple Seons that have the same aon? 

I am pretty sure of yes, there are too seon (at least in the pre-Road time) to fit one to one with the Aons.

9 minutes ago, AnanasSpren said:

What effect does the Aon have on a Seon?

A Seon may "finalizate" his Aon. This probably mean It may active his Aon, but rememeber that the Seon now misses the Chasm line

10 minutes ago, AnanasSpren said:

Could an Elantrian create a Seon?

In a Delete Scene an Elantrian creates a Seon, but it's no more canon, therefore the answer is "maybe". But I think if you manage to remove a Devotion's Splinter from the Dor with some technique you may made a Seon... If the Devotion's Splinter alone sloowly turn in to a Seon from its own

It was confirmed that for a Shard to get a godmetal, it has to Invest in Scadrial: (spoilered for length)

Shadowsaber223 ()

If Odium were lured to Scadrial, would his physical body turn into a burnable metal? If so, could Harmony create an Odium-metal legion of Mistings to consume and burn it? Would that weaken him sufficiently enough to be killed or destroyed?

Brandon Sanderson

The difficulty here is, again, one of Identity. People born on Scadrial have an Identity tied to it and its magic. Odium would have to do certain things to make them able to use a magic he fuels. He has done these things on Roshar, so it's not impossible for him to manage it on Scadrial.
source

My question is: If a Shard has done enough to get a godmetal (like Trell did) does it mean that it has done enough for Mistborn to burn it and for Full Feruchemists to store/tap it? I guess that it does, since to use Hemalurgy you also need a proper Spiritweb make-up, but a confirmation would be nice.

If the answer to that question is "yes", then did kandra try to find a full Feruchemist to check what it does?

EDIT: Will Trell's Investing in Scadrial cause new magic system or systems to spawn? How much Shard has to do to cause something like that?

Edited by Oversleep