What are you playing right now?

nearly through Metroid Dread - basically been on the final boss for a little bit now but haven't gotten a ton of time to play.  he has 4 forms, though apparently the last form is easy. I can consistently beat the first form with full health (I take some hits, but generally heal back anything I lost) and can generally get through the second, though having to switch between L1 to aim and L2 to duck means I get hit a bit more in this one.  but still cant beat the third yet - at least party because my hands hurt from the previous 2.  once i'm done with this, I plan to get the pokemon scarlet DLC and play more of that - it should be relaxing compared to this this game

Waiting for Expansion Pass Wave 4 of Fire Emblem Engage to drop before I start a new playthrough. (Wave 3 drops this upcoming week, and Wave 4 is theorized to drop in early-April.) Currently just grinding for supports on Playthrough 2. I also started a playthrough of Fates Revelation that I was really excited about last week (so excited that I planned out two playthroughs!), but all motivation just seems to have disappeared since then. It's weird too, since I got most of the terrible Early-Game maps out of the way, so there's nothing holding me back. 

Maybe I'll jump back into Mass Effect 2 to romance Miranda, but I'm not missing the game either...

I'm hoping to buy a PS5 over Spring Break, so maybe Horizon: Forbidden West or Hogwarts Legacy or even Forspoken will keep me occupied, but until then, I don't know what to play...then again, until this upcoming Friday, I probably won't have the time or energy to play much of anything anyways...

Bah, I'll just read a book. 

EDIT: I ended up downloading some Fates and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia DLC before it's gone from the 3DS eShop and ended up playing some of the latter. It was a fun throwback, considering that I haven't really played SoV since 2017. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

The excitement around Metroid Prime's remaster caught me, so I decided to play Prime 2. It's a really fun game.

I'm enjoying the way they're portraying metroids here. It's easy to use broad phrases like "Space pirates enslave metroids" but it doesn't hit you as hard. 

This on the other hand let's you see them up close. "This metroid is being tortured by its cage and can't fall asleep" or "This metroid has been milked half to death and its cells are messed up because of it" or "This metroid was fed normal food, presumably for fun, and now has food poisoning".

It's a whole new side to it. Metroids are such a sci-fi concept, it's easy to forget that at the end, they're essentially abused animals. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am about 25% through Middle-earth: Shadow of War.

I love this game. There are so many awesome nods and references and connections to the Silm and the Unfinished Tales. Not only that, but the story and gameplay are excellent, and the graphics hold up very well. This game is a much, much better add-on to Tolkien's world than The Rings of Power, and I will die on that hill.

10/10 need to get the first game. (Duology)

Finished Tokyo Xanadu eX+,  both endings. This game was a surprise, in many ways.

I went in expecting a simple slice of life supernatural action game, nothing that went too deep, and you know what? For the first few chapters it delivered. A "burger with fries" story as Brandon would put it. 

But each chapter just continued to be better than the last one. Somewhere along the middle the game was already in "great" territory for me, but it didn't stop. It just kept getting better. A straight, steady line going up.

Now I'm done with it and I'd struggle not to call it one of my favorite games. 

Another thing was the duration. It's an action game as opposed to turn based, and the chapters are relatively short. 30-40 hours seemed to be what I could expect at most. My cleared save file however clocks in at 75 hours and a half. 

The endings are a surprise too.

Spoiler

It gives you one bittersweet ending before allowing you to get the happy one. And the thing is, I loved both of them. I'd even say the "bad" one is even a bit better. 

See, I love ridiculously happy endings, I usually prefer them to a bittersweet one even if it makes less sense, or feels a bit forced. 

But in this case, when I saw the first ending, if the game had ended right then and there I wouldn't even have been mad. It was that cool. 

Glad to have both though. 

The game also has a habit of going on for a long time when you think it's already over but I'm saying too much. 

Overall a delightful experience I would love to give a second run sometime, not terribly far into the future. 

Did something today that I haven’t done in over a decade. Traded in a game. Forspoken. *shudders

I will be very hesitant to ever buy another Luminous product/people associated with, after that game and FF15. They look pretty but they are not good games. Problem is they took some time to realize how much they sucked.

Only got $15 for that $70 2 month old game. Idk if that standard or if its because the game sucks.

17 hours ago, Briar King said:

Did something today that I haven’t done in over a decade. Traded in a game. Forspoken. *shudders

I will be very hesitant to ever buy another Luminous product/people associated with, after that game and FF15. They look pretty but they are not good games. Problem is they took some time to realize how much they sucked.

Only got $15 for that $70 2 month old game. Idk if that standard or if its because the game sucks.

Luminous got shut down anyway didn't they? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting my lightsaber swing on and trying to knock off my action game rust. It’s not easy going from turn based RPGs to fast paced action at my age anymore but I’m getting in the groove slowly but surely. Doesn’t help that like game 1 I turned the difficulty level up to Jedi Master.

• 2 weeks later...

Jedi Survivor is not near as fun to me as Fallen Order was. Disneys crimes against the franchise weren’t as bad to me then as they are now days. I’ve dropped the difficulty down to story to try to get through the game as fast as possible and it’s still very slow going because of the time consuming puzzle solving and massive dialogue bits. I can’t say I won’t get to the point I just stop it.

Im back on Xenoblade 3. Took a few days to back into the swing of battle before progressing but I’m doing that now and it’s great. Unfortunately my daughter is done with the semester and is taking over my 75in tv more and more and while I like being able to play in handheld, it’s a crime against this game to advance any story off my big screen… so yet again progress is slow ugh.

Also I think my Switch is dying cause my battery goes down about 10pts for every 10 minutes. Idk it maybe the game is to taxing?

On 5/20/2023 at 11:57 AM, Briar King said:

Jedi Survivor is not near as fun to me as Fallen Order was. Disneys crimes against the franchise weren’t as bad to me then as they are now days. I’ve dropped the difficulty down to story to try to get through the game as fast as possible and it’s still very slow going because of the time consuming puzzle solving and massive dialogue bits. I can’t say I won’t get to the point I just stop it.

Any possibility you can say a bit more in spoilers? I'm curious as I've been tempted to get Survivor, but:

Spoiler

Feeling eh about the Hidden Path/Tanalorr/High Republic trajectory.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:38 PM, Kasimir said:

Any possibility you can say a bit more in spoilers? I'm curious as I've been tempted to get Survivor, but:

Hide contents

Feeling eh about the Hidden Path/Tanalorr/High Republic trajectory.

I really can’t say to much more than your tags. I’ve been playing since launch date and I’m still on that particular arc which is unfortunately the 1st one..it is such a massive drag to me. You should definitely ask someone that is still gung-ho with the direction Disney has taken this wonderful franchise. Me personally they have sunk it beyond repair at this point. Those other people say that arc is the worst of the game and once past it the game is amazing going forward. I’m skeptical about that personally but I’m a grumpy old man now. I can’t muster the willpower to play more each day except for going from one meditation spot to the next so obviously it’s very slow going on my end.

As for Xenoblade 3…epic! I thought I would have a massive hole in my heart after 3 years of Cold Steel but that game has not let me think about how much I want to return to Zemuria.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

I really can’t say to much more than your tags. I’ve been playing since launch date and I’m still on that particular arc which is unfortunately the 1st one..it is such a massive drag to me. You should definitely ask someone that is still gung-ho with the direction Disney has taken this wonderful franchise. Me personally they have sunk it beyond repair at this point. Those other people say that arc is the worst of the game and once past it the game is amazing going forward. I’m skeptical about that personally but I’m a grumpy old man now. I can’t muster the willpower to play more each day except for going from one meditation spot to the next so obviously it’s very slow going on my end.

The problem is that I'm not, so I guess I'm just going to boot up KOTOR and have fun.

MtG: Shandalar (Manalink Update - Solo Storyline)

Spoiler

Not the actual deck - just a screenshot with the deck and the singles I may use if I can find additional copies

Shand_2.thumb.jpg.424e0970eee4ef13d20d6659594e4076.jpg

Though my chronic DBD does mean that I will probably never cut this deck below 75ish cards. It may be more "efficient" at 60 - but it's much more fun at 75.

Assemble the Legion + Cathar's Crusade FTW

Edited by Treamayne
Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

After beating Jedi Survivor (my current game of the year), I'm on Persona 5 Strikers. It grabbed me initially, but now it's not engaging me as much as I'd like. When I play it, I just want to play Three Hopes instead, which then aggravates me because of how unfinished Three Hopes is, and how much I dislike the non-Azure Gleam routes...and how easy NG+ is...sigh...

EDIT: I'm also playing a mod/rewrite of Fates called Silent Waves. It's good, but the novelty is wearing off pretty quickly, and I dislike playing it on my laptop. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

FF16 tomorrow!!!

I was going to trade in Disney Wars Jedi Survivor but I ll hold off incase something changes. Atm it’s a big dnf and I sent it to my external to make room for FF16.

My biggest hope for 16 is that it rinses the ashes out of my mouth that 15 put in. Bonus points if it gets back to the epicness of 1-12 lvls of awesomesauce.

And of course I’m not even close to done with Xenoblade 3 sigh

Im so slow with games since Hurricane Laura.

So on one hand I now own and have played a whopping 5 minutes or so of FF16 baby!!! On the other I had new wires and a new way to hook my rubber bands up so my mouth feels like it was kicked by a horse and I have no pep to play any more today. 

Butttt at least as every other main line Final Fantasy since 9 I can say I’ve played since launch date! Just sucks so much that it’s not an all day session like all the others as I squeeee in excitement.