What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

20 hours ago, Dunkum said:

unfinished tales is definitely worth a read.  but otherwise i'm with you.  I liked the short version of children of hurin, and have never made ti far when I tried lost tales

Amatuers.

Honestly, though, the only thing worth reading in Unfinished Tales that you don't get elsewhere is an essay on the Ishtari.

If you're just going "canon", it's just Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion and the recent trilogy (Children of Hurin, Beren & Luthien, and The Fall of Gondolin). Everything else? They are drafts. 

16 minutes ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

Amatuers.

Honestly, though, the only thing worth reading in Unfinished Tales that you don't get elsewhere is an essay on the Ishtari.

If you're just going "canon", it's just Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion and the recent trilogy (Children of Hurin, Beren & Luthien, and The Fall of Gondolin). Everything else? They are drafts. 

Unfinished tales is worth reading from an almost academic standpoint since, if memory serves, it includes things like excerpts from letters and things showing unpolished ideas.  so it gives you some idea of tolkein's writing process which is sort of interesting to see.  sort of like how some of Brandon's unpublished work is interesting because you can see which ideas were scavenged into other works (warbreaker prime/mythwalker is really interesting for this reason).

Edited by Dunkum

On 4/7/2020 at 8:17 PM, McWafy said:

I am currently Shadows for Silence in The Forests of Hell.

I am done with it! And it was AWESOME! And if that was ever made into a movie, That would be quite the horror film. I am not one to watch scary movies, but I can read scary books. And that was truly spectacular.

1 hour ago, Sirscott13 said:

Just finished Shorefall, Sequel of Foundryside by RJB. Honestly it was a great read. Took the concepts established in book 1 and turned it up to 11.

Good to know! I’ve had book one sitting on my shelf for a while now, waiting to be read. I really ought to get around to that...

On 4/26/2020 at 5:51 PM, Ammanas said:

Are you a Hobbit and LOTR only Tolkien fan or have you read the rest of the Legendarium? I’m more of a middle of the road fan. It took a few tries to finish the Silmarillion but found it to be fantastic once I got a handle on it. I plan on reading Unfinished Tales in the future. I read the Children of Hurin but I think I prefer the shorter version of the story found in the Silmarillion. Probably isn’t a popular opinion though.

I've read The Hobbit, TLotR, The Silmarillion, and the Unfinished Tales, but after that the books seemed more scholarly - like if I was doing a PhD on Tolkien, they'd be great source material. I found that reading many different versions of the same legend was more confusing than enjoyable, so I decided to stop there. I loved The Silmarillion so much - kudos to you for pushing through & being able to enjoy it. Probably my favorite parts were anything to do with Finrod Felagund - especially his song in Tol-in-Guarhoth - and the creation myth (how every evil Melkor did was woven into the overall beauty), There's one line from the myth that is so profound & comes my to mind often: the third music theme which was "deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable sorrow, from which its beauty chiefly came." Did that line ring true for you as well? Glad to find another fan of Tolkien's books!:)

Edited by old aggie
correction

@old aggie Yes! The Silmarillion has some of Tolkien’s best language and so much of it rings true. I will include two examples in the images. The first starts with “Mighty are the Ainor...” and is about even when bad things happen good comes of it (as you also pointed out). The second image was a example of this when Melkor destroys Ulmos domain and he is saddened by it, but Eru explains how  snow and frost is even more beautiful than water and the water will now go into the air with the extreme climates and allow him to be closer to his best friend Manwe

C37D906C-4201-4C37-BEEF-53F91C15FAD4.jpeg

4026ABF5-1474-4301-ABA5-EEF1133BBCBD.jpeg

Edited by Ammanas

@Ammanas - I almost added your first quote ("Mighty are the Ainur...") to my earlier post!:D I agree wholeheartedly - these passages are pure gold, at least to me. I understand that some readers dislike Tolkien's archaic prose style, which is totally fine for them, but for me the way he uses language is a huge draw - one of the things that's his alone, and that would be nigh impossible to translate to other mediums like movies or TV.

During my TLotR reread, I've been changing the "Location" on my Twitter account (which I use mostly for professional stuff) to be where I am in the book. Tonight, I'll update it to "Rohan." Just a little thing, but it's making me smile.:)

Finished Skyward about an hour ago. Definitely a pretty good book, and considering I’m not really into aircraft stuff or much of a fan of child soldier stories shows how much Brandon can make any type of story interesting.

Going to start Starsight tomorrow and see where Spensa goes.

The Kingdom of Liars by Nick Martell. It actually has a blurb by Brandon Sanderson on the cover praising it. It just came out today but it’s good so far. Evidently in this world a faction in it partially destroyed the moon so chunks are falling down randomly and causes major problems. I’m liking it.

I just introduced myself on the introduction thread, but long story short, I've been lurking here for a while and have many of you all to thank for some incredible recommendations to tide me over between Sanderson books.  After devouring the Cosmere books a year and a half ago I scoured these boards for more recs for us Sanderfans, and I proceeded to make my way through all of the Dresden Files and Temeraire due to mentions here and loved them dearly. Other series I read recently include The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman (the audiobooks were soooooo good--the narrator isn't that well-known or prolific but was outstanding) and Cixin Liu's 3-Body Problem books (best sci-fi I've ever read by far). 

Brent Weeks's Lightbringer series got a ton of mentions here as something in the same vein as Sanderson's stuff, and I finally got around to starting it a couple months ago. Everything was going pretty well through the first 2 books, but then I found myself slowing down in book 3 and then really slowing down once I got into 4 (the Blood Mirror). When I am liking a book I want to read or listen to it as often as I possibly can, and not doing that once I hit the middle of Lightbringer was a bad sign. When I almost couldn't find the will to make it through the Burning White, and resorted to skimming long sections in the first half, I had to come to terms with the fact that Brandon had spoiled me for epic fantasy, or maybe I'm just not a fan of Weeks's writing.

Did any of you also feel Lightbringer went off the rails after book 2? I know it was supposed to be a trilogy originally, but according to Weeks himself he didn't want to be muzzled by publishers like he was for his debut trilogy, and I think that prior experience unfortunately led to him killing the quality of the series with the expansion--books 3-5 are full of meandering plotlines for most of the characters that never even lead to rewarding payoffs, and I can't help but feel like he committed Brandon's writing sin of not killing off his darlings for the good of the work, and instead had to keep every bit of worldbuilding/plot he brainstormed regardless of its effect on the main story arcs and pacing. Where were his editors and beta readers??? Maybe he got feedback from them but just stubbornly refused to take it? The unfortunate result has to be one of the greatest missed opportunities in modern fantasy, as it had so much potential! I don't even want to focus on the horrifically dreadful ending to the series, but instead how most of books 3-5 were simply boring. He created an incredible hard magic system with so many thrilling applications in battle, but the magic got more action screen time in book 1 than in the rest of the series combined! And even with the expansion into 5 books I never felt like he managed to make the satrapies a believably real setting like Sanderson has done with Roshar or his other planets. 

So I hope Brandon hasn't spoiled me completely for the epic fantasy genre. I tried Mark Lawrence's Book of the Ancestor a few days ago but got halfway and DNF'ed it (started to get bored to the point of skimming again and couldn't keep at it even though the pace supposedly picks up). I'm having more luck right now with the start of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy I think, so hopefully I'll be sticking with that for a while now. I was hesitant at first to venture into grim-dark, thinking it was the book equivalent of the Walking Dead for some reason, but so far it's right up my alley.

Is Wheel of Time worth a try? If I get bored towards the beginning I figure I can just read summaries until I hit Brandon's books, which are sure to be more to my liking (I'm not one to enjoy overly detailed descriptions which Jordan is apparently famous for).  How do you all feel about Mark Lawrence's other series? The Powder Mage books (can't go wrong with Brandon's disciple, right?)? The Licanius Trilogy? Evan Winter's Rage of Dragons? Those are the main contenders for what I'm looking to next after First Law and would love some thoughts.  

34 minutes ago, Benghis son son Kahn said:

s Wheel of Time worth a try? If I get bored towards the beginning I figure I can just read summaries until I hit Brandon's books, which are sure to be more to my liking (I'm not one to enjoy overly detailed descriptions which Jordan is apparently famous for).  How do you all feel about Mark Lawrence's other series? The Powder Mage books (can't go wrong with Brandon's disciple, right?)? The Licanius Trilogy? Evan Winter's Rage of Dragons? Those are the main contenders for what I'm looking to next after First Law and would love some thoughts.  

If you feel like Lightbringer lost it’s way than I do not recommend WoT. It gets lost in pointless plot lines and and tangents far far more anything Brent Weeks has. I’m actually a fan of Lightbringer though so perhaps we have different tastes

Never could get into Marc Lawrence’s stuff. His prose didn’t work for me. 

Powder Mage was alright but I enjoyed his sequel series set in the same world much more so he improves.

Licanius trilogy gets lots of love around here but I am personally not a fan. Many would disagree with me though. The lighthearted 80’s(ish) eary 90s fantasy he is telling is told by better authors in my opinion. The Ember Blade by Wooding right off the top of my head.

Never read Rage of Dragons.

First Law is excellent if you are not opposed to cursing and some graphic scenes. I mention this because there are a lot of young readers on this website.

Lastly you might want to start a new thread on the entertainment section of this website that asks these sort of question so this current thread doesn’t get too off tract. Although I’m guilty of small tangents myself on this page from time to time. Also Welcome!

Edit: You seem to like really focused fantasy series. You might like the first three Black Company books by Glen Cook. I personally have read and liked all of them but the first three are really focused 

Edited by Ammanas

@Benghis son son Kahn Man I love The Magician audio books. I’ve listened to them probably about 8 times. 

I felt pretty similar to you regarding Lightbringer. 

I still liked WoT although it’s a commitment and there are some books that drag along I felt like the payoff was way worth it compared to Lightbringer. 

As mentioned above I like Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage books are good but his second series set in the same world is even better. 

I absolutely loved Licanius it’s one of my favorite series. 

9 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Powder Mage was alright but I enjoyed his sequel series set in the same world much more so he improves.

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts, Ammanas! You're probably right that I shouldn't side-track this thread any more, but one little question--can you skip the first powder mage trilogy and start with McClellan's 2nd one? 

@Benghis son son Kahn It is possible but there are quite a few nods and references to the original trilogy. You will not be lost but it will not be as fulfilling as if you had read the original three. I just found his original books a little bit raw but certainly readable. His prose is really similar to Sanderson so there is a good chance you will like it. I would recommend starting with The Promise of Blood rather than jumping into Sins of empire 

6 minutes ago, Benghis son son Kahn said:

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts, Ammanas! You're probably right that I shouldn't side-track this thread any more, but one little question--can you skip the first powder mage trilogy and start with McClellan's 2nd one? 

Read the first ones! They are good. The second series was just better but I think you will get a lot more out of them if you read the first ones. 

1 minute ago, Ammanas said:

It is possible but there are quite a few nods and references to the original trilogy. You will not be lost but it will not be as fulfilling as if you had read the original three

Thanks I'll definitely start at the beginning then. I guess I could imagine reading Mistborn Era 2 without having read era 1 but so much wouldn't register and it wouldn't be the same. If the first trilogy is readable and solid on its own then it'd surely be worth it--I also do enjoy seeing an author's development over time, and like with Dresden Files where fans will assure you that it improves, knowing the quality at the beginning isn't where it stays can be an incentive to stick with it.

13 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I still liked WoT although it’s a commitment and there are some books that drag along I felt like the payoff was way worth it compared to Lightbringer. 

As mentioned above I like Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage books are good but his second series set in the same world is even better. 

I absolutely loved Licanius it’s one of my favorite series. 

Thanks for the thoughts, StormingTexan! I'm locked in on Powder Mage now for sure, and I love how already the first two replies I've gotten have very different opinions on Licanius--our enjoyment of art and literature is so subjective, and sometimes you just have to wade in and try something for yourself to know if it's for you or not.

The famous WoT slog is daunting to me, since I have never skipped over books of a series before, but it would be such a shame to miss out on some of Brandon's major novels. Also, I'm a huge fan of Kramer and Reading's audiobooks, so that could make the experience well worth it on its own.