What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

In the words of Monty Python's Flying Circus (ancient British TV show) - - "And now for something completely different..."

I'm currently working my way through the Chet and Bernie mystery series by Spencer Quinn, in anticipation of the next book dropping on July 7th.

The narrator for these detective stories is Chet the Dog (http://www.chetthedog.com/), and if you love dogs, you'll adore Chet! "I know the case is closed when I have the perp by the pantleg.":D

Just FYI - these are not children's books (though the author does have a kids' series too): there's a realistic (not gratuitous) amount of swearing and some fisticuffs; romance is off-camera. Bernie is flawed but a true hero.

If you (or your parents, etc.) are looking for some fun mystery stories that are a pretty quick read, you can't go wrong with Chet and Bernie!

Recently, I've started rereading all of Brandon's books. I've gotten through all but Elantris and Warbreaker in the past couple of days. After that I'm planning to re-read the Keeper of the lost cities series and maybe the Spy School series. Hopefully by then we'll have visited the library. 

2 hours ago, Briar King said:

Probably best book of the series. Got other good ones coming but just not up on the same lvl as Hunt for me.

hard disagree, i put Eye of the World and Great Hunt near the bottom personally.  Dragon Reborn is up near the top.

On Chapter 9 of The Dragon Reborn. I am thus far very surprised that 

Spoiler

Perrin has been the only viewpoint after over a hundred pages. It's a very interesting decision to have not once switched over to Rand or even Egwene or Nynaeve. Mat I don't suppose will have many viewpoints this book since I expect he'll spend most of it being healed, unless something big happens like the dagger is stolen again (which I don't really see as too plausible).

28 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

On Chapter 9 of The Dragon Reborn. I am thus far very surprised that 

Hide contents

Perrin has been the only viewpoint after over a hundred pages. It's a very interesting decision to have not once switched over to Rand or even Egwene or Nynaeve. Mat I don't suppose will have many viewpoints this book since I expect he'll spend most of it being healed, unless something big happens like the dagger is stolen again (which I don't really see as too plausible).

Rand POVs are pretty minimal in that book, if memory serves.  both in terms of quantity and in terms of how they are written.  I think Egwene/Elayne/Nynaeve get a bunch and Perrin gets a bunch.  Mat gets several once he is good and healed.  I didnt remember Perrin monopolizing so much of the beginning of the book though, but its been a while.

2 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

He is legit the only perspective for 115 and 3/4 pages. And good, I want Elayne POVs. I like her a lot.

That’s one of my problems with Jordan’s writing, he spends far too much time on one character without switching around viewpoints. It makes it pretty boring at times

So I have a bit of a theory for the whole of Wheel of Time. I feel like each of the main characters will have a distinct group of people that is, like, their specific enemy. Like they're obviously all enemies, but it'll be more personal for specific characters. My ideas for those at the moment are:

Spoiler

Rand with the Dark One and his forces, for obvious reasons. Perrin with the Whitecloaks since they seem to have it out for him hard after their initial encounter and Perrin really hates them. Egwene with the Seanchan, again for obvious reasons. Mat for Fain/Mordeth, since he was corrupted by Mordeth. Those are all my ideas for it at the moment. One other I'm not as sure of would be Moiraine or Nynaeve with either the Red or the Black Ajah, or maybe both. Black Ajah is gonna come out eventually, and the Reds are just generally unpleasant. Part of the problem with coming up with ideas is I don't really know who counts as a "main character" yet. Naturally the Two Fields group and Moiraine/Lan are main characters, but I don't know if I should count Elayne, Loial, Thom, Min, etc. They're important, obviously, but I'm not sure yet if they're main characters on the same level of the others.

Edited by aneonfoxtribute

26 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

So I have a bit of a theory for the whole of Wheel of Time. I feel like each of the main characters will have a distinct group of people that is, like, their specific enemy. Like they're obviously all enemies, but it'll be more personal for specific characters. My ideas for those at the moment are:

Hide contents

Rand with the Dark One and his forces, for obvious reasons. Perrin with the Whitecloaks since they seem to have it out for him hard after their initial encounter and Perrin really hates them. Egwene with the Seanchan, again for obvious reasons. Mat for Fain/Mordeth, since he was corrupted by Mordeth. Those are all my ideas for it at the moment. One other I'm not as sure of would be Moiraine or Nynaeve with either the Red or the Black Ajah, or maybe both. Black Ajah is gonna come out eventually, and the Reds are just generally unpleasant. Part of the problem with coming up with ideas is I don't really know who counts as a "main character" yet. Naturally the Two Fields group and Moiraine/Lan are main characters, but I don't know if I should count Elayne, Loial, Thom, Min, etc. They're important, obviously, but I'm not sure yet if they're main characters on the same level of the others.

hard for me to gauge just how much I can actually comment on this without it devolving into spoiler territory, so I'll avoid it for the most part except to say that Elayne is definitely a main character, certainly more so than the other ones you mention, and almost certainly more so than Moiraine.