What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I have that type of cover for every book except for Eye of the World. I had Eye of the World in mass market paperback, and I've had it since I was a kid which was weird. Like I was watching a few of Daniel Greene's videos on WoT last year, and he showed a picture of the cover, and I was really surprised because I realized I recognized it. So I went looking and lo and behold, I found it.

On 8.8.2020 at 10:17 PM, BethOvermyer said:

I'm reading Harley Merlin and the Cult of Eris (book six in the Harley Merlin series) by Bella Forrest. It's a fun read. Also thinking about reading some more non-fiction, but I have to find one that grabs me.

I started the Giver of Stars yesterday and I am already halfway through. It's about the Pack Horse Library Project. (For more details about that one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_Horse_Library_Project)

So far it's an easy read, captured me quickly and what I like - it's only one book, not another longer series. The characters are well developed and you can follow them as they grow, as they change according to their tasks and learn how to stand up for themselves. It's not as deep as SA, by far not as complicated, but I enjoy it a lot.

Partway through Mark Charan Newton's The Book of Transformations, which is Book #3 in Legends of the Red Sun. I like it, I just don't seem to be nearly motivated enough to want to finish it. The worldbuilding is really fun though, and I'm really enjoying the rumel Inquisitors.

5 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Partway through Mark Charan Newton's The Book of Transformations, which is Book #3 in Legends of the Red Sun. I like it, I just don't seem to be nearly motivated enough to want to finish it. The worldbuilding is really fun though, and I'm really enjoying the rumel Inquisitors.

Wow I never see anyone talk about these books anymore.  I absolutely loved the first two.  Book 3 I thought was pretty good to but it's starting to get more straightforward.  I haven't heard anything from the author in a long time and I don't know if he's still writing since he never found commercial success.  He released a few books after Legends of the Red Sun but they're quite different and they don't have the multi-layered storytelling that he does best.

9 minutes ago, Who Sharded? said:

Wow I never see anyone talk about these books anymore.  I absolutely loved the first two.  Book 3 I thought was pretty good to but it's starting to get more straightforward.  I haven't heard anything from the author in a long time and I don't know if he's still writing since he never found commercial success.  He released a few books after Legends of the Red Sun but they're quite different and they don't have the multi-layered storytelling that he does best.

I uh, might have procrastinated since I saw the books in my local library in 2010, borrowed them, didn't finish, and had to return them :ph34r: Finally been giving them a go again and managed to power through the first two books the last couple of months. They're not bad books - I genuinely like them, I just have inertia starting on them but once I start, I get going really fast. Agreed about the multi-layered storytelling! I do also like his Drakenfeld a lot actually though maybe I just really like the setting and the investigation. 

I really hope he's still writing but you never know. Last book I heard was the 2017 one which is probably languishing somewhere on my (at this point) months long reading list.

Edited by Kasimir

Mouse is awesome pure and simple. I really hope you have avoided any Dresden spoilers. And also now you get to enjoy what a large majority of fans deem the best book of the series..7 Dead Beat. Ed I should note I don’t agree on that part but it is very good! My personal favorite after only 1.4 reads(I ll get back to the reread soon I think starting back with Death Mask) was 9 White Night.

Edited by Briar King

4 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I know, like, two things for the future of Dresden, and that is that 

Reveal hidden contents

Dresden apparently does some morally ambiguous stuff later in the series, and he becomes the Winter Knight.

I don't know when those are so I would just assume that its spoilers for the most recent book.

Not exactly the most recent, but yes, it's spoilery for the later books of the series. I look forward to the one hitting the market in september I think, although I wish he would continue to write the Cinder Spires. I loved the setting of that one, and while I enjoy the Dresden Files, I really would like to know how the Cinder Spires go on.

2 hours ago, Briar King said:

Get ready for a ride!

as for me I’m pushing onwards with Lightbringer 5. I’ve been reading this beast since Jan and I’m ready to end it. Bout 100 pgs left

oh man I feel for you--LB 5 is the single worst book I've ever forced myself through in any genre

If it were a standalone or earlier in the series I just would have DNF'ed, but it being the end it was just a relief to finish and put it all behind me. Funnily enough it was through recs on this board years ago and in similar forums here for "If you like Sanderson, try..." that I got turned onto it. And indeed I really loved book 1 and liked books 2-3, so I can totally see where a lot of those recs were coming from. After the slog of B4 and the horrendous monstrosity of 5 though, I'm unsurprisingly seeing so many fewer recs for LB than a few years ago. 

Luckily First Law picked me back up after LB, and now I'm onto the Farseer trilogy and really really enjoying it as I'm starting book 3. Looks like I'll be lost in the Realm of the Elderlings for a long while!

Edited by Benghis son son Kahn

36 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Oh Chapter 9 of The Shadow Rising and OH MY GOD FINALLY! 

Hide contents

It is FINALLY revealed that Selene is Lanfear.

Spoiler

I could swear it was revealed at the end of book 2 though? Didn't she reveal her identity to Min?