DALINAR FLASHBACKS DONE?

blad3mast3r

So, If you looked at the twitter, Dalinars flashbacks are done, and the first draft is at 13%

I've been trying to chart the progress, it seems to be about 1% per day.

So.... first draft done October 11th?

I thinking there will be a summer 2016 release. I there any date Brandon said?'

You know your a Sanderfan when you get more excited about a book release than your vacation.... :/

Well according to Peter the process of getting a book onto store shelves takes about 1 year from when the first draft is complete. With Stormlight being longer than the average book, it might be a little longer that that. I'm currently expecting a late 2016, perhaps holiday time period, release for SA3. Of course getting it earlier though would always be welcome.

Honestly poor Peter & Co. seem to have been swamped lately as the Sanderbots have continued to multiply, so I certainly wouldn't begrudge a more relaxed release schedule for SA3.

So, If you looked at the twitter, Dalinars flashbacks are done, and the first draft is at 13%

I've been trying to chart the progress, it seems to be about 1% per day.

So.... first draft done October 11th?

I thinking there will be a summer 2016 release. I there any date Brandon said?'

You know your a Sanderfan when you get more excited about a book release than your vacation.... :/

CRAP ACCIDENTAL DOWNVOTE SORRY! 

Someone fix that, please?

Yeah I'd rather they just take the time and have it out Late/Holiday 2016 (which is the current goal).  We are getting plenty of books in the near future so I can wait.  And I for one would rather if Peter's head did *not* spontaneously combust.

Brandon did mention that he may release a Stormlight Novella next summer to tie us over until Christmas 2016. Aside from that, we will eventually get Michael Whelan's next cover art. So far those have been astoundingly well done. 

Are these the flashbacks for Stones Unhallowed?  If so, I hope he doesn't do too much to divulge stuff from Highprince of War

It's not Stones Unhallowed anymore, SA 3 is now Dalinar's and will probably be called Oathbringer. All the stuff we were going to learn about him in Highprince of War will probably happen here instead.

It's not Stones Unhallowed anymore, SA 3 is now Dalinar's and will probably be called Oathbringer. All the stuff we were going to learn about him in Highprince of War will probably happen here instead.

Huh.  Must have missed that.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this shift.  Mainly because Stormlight 3 was set up to be the PERFECT Szeth book.  You know, with Nalan and Nightblood and the trek to Shinovar.

Oh well.  It'll still be a very good read, but I think that having it focus on Szeth would have been much better.  Especially after my post-WoR anticipation for it.

Huh.  Must have missed that.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this shift.  Mainly because Stormlight 3 was set up to be the PERFECT Szeth book.  You know, with Nalan and Nightblood and the trek to Shinovar.

Oh well.  It'll still be a very good read, but I think that having it focus on Szeth would have been much better.  Especially after my post-WoR anticipation for it.

Initially I had the same reaction. But as I've thought more about it, and knowing Brandon as I wish I did, I think he may well use this opportunity to more fully flesh out Szeth's antihero storyarc, deepen our investment and uncertainty, and serve Szeth's book up as the perfect culmination of Stormlight 1-5 as the fifth book in a way that, taken as a whole, is far more satisfying than having a character that appears to be fast approaching keystone status be addressed midway though.

Initially I had the same reaction. But as I've thought more about it, and knowing Brandon as I wish I did, I think he may well use this opportunity to more fully flesh out Szeth's antihero storyarc, deepen our investment and uncertainty, and serve Szeth's book up as the perfect culmination of Stormlight 1-5 as the fifth book in a way that, taken as a whole, is far more satisfying than having a character that appears to be fast approaching keystone status be addressed midway though.

I love Sanderson as an author, and the Cosmere specifically.  And even though he's one of my favorite authors, and his books generally improve in writing from one to the next, I'm glad Book 3 isn't going to be the Szeth flashback book--because of fear.

I don't care about Szeth's history.  (I am keenly interested in the Shin, deeply and desperately so, but I could give two figs about Szeth's childhood.)  There is nothing under the sea or in the sky that I can imagine that would make me sympathetic to how Szeth turned up--a psychopath who (absolute best-case) felt it better to live in agony for all eternity for his crimes than to do what is right and cease existing after he dies.  His journey, his struggle, none of that which we saw in WoR endeared him to me even a little.  Even by the end of WoK I was being actively turned off of him as a character, even though I had loved what I saw at the beginning.  So, I was afraid that the book would focus over-much on why we should really like this character and it's all fine and understandable how he turned out--when it's not.

He's a bloody psychopath and a force of chaotic destruction in the world.  And that's cool.  Knowing the Joker's history doesn't deepen the character, or make his current actions more poignant.  It's what he does now that matters.  And, honestly, there can be no atonement for what he did in the past (Joker or Szeth).  So don't make it about that, but that's what I'm afraid flashback Szeth would be about.

Let Szeth be the viewpoint character driving Book 3, but let the flashbacks be literally anyone else.  Why?  Because I'm afraid that Szeth's would be terrible--but that can change with more books, and time.  And I don't want to go into a Sanderson novel afraid that it's going to be worse than the one I read before it.

Edited by kaellok

I love Sanderson as an author, and the Cosmere specifically.  And even though he's one of my favorite authors, and his books generally improve in writing from one to the next, I'm glad Book 3 isn't going to be the Szeth flashback book--because of fear.

I don't care about Szeth's history.  (I am keenly interested in the Shin, deeply and desperately so, but I could give two figs about Szeth's childhood.)  There is nothing under the sea or in the sky that I can imagine that would make me sympathetic to how Szeth turned up--a psychopath who (absolute best-case) felt it better to live in agony for all eternity for his crimes than to do what is right and cease existing after he dies.  His journey, his struggle, none of that which we saw in WoR endeared him to me even a little.  Even by the end of WoK I was being actively turned off of him as a character, even though I had loved what I saw at the beginning.  So, I was afraid that the book would focus over-much on why we should really like this character and it's all fine and understandable how he turned out--when it's not.

He's a bloody psychopath and a force of chaotic destruction in the world.  And that's cool.  Knowing the Joker's history doesn't deepen the character, or make his current actions more poignant.  It's what he does now that matters.  And, honestly, there can be no atonement for what he did in the past (Joker or Szeth).  So don't make it about that, but that's what I'm afraid flashback Szeth would be about.

Let Szeth be the viewpoint character driving Book 3, but let the flashbacks be literally anyone else.  Why?  Because I'm afraid that Szeth's would be terrible--but that can change with more books, and time.  And I don't want to go into a Sanderson novel afraid that it's going to be worse than the one I read before it.

My response to this is one I've posted before: here is the link.

For those who won't click the link, I essentially think judging Szeth when not understanding the culture of the Shin is unfair to the man. Their culture is clearly different from ours, and as thus we can't understand the pressures with which he must endure.

Dalinars flashbacks are done, and the first draft is at 13%

55,000 words, and only 13% done. That puts us on an estimated 423,077 words in total for SA3.

So... just a novella then, Brandon? :P

I do not remember that, actually. Makes sense though.

So, 423,077 is a lower end estimate, and could in fact be double that if he gets bored part way through and writes Szeth's or Eshonai's book as well.

Well it was more that Brandon was just making up an average number for Peter while writing both at once without anyone noticing. We weren't supposed to know.

Accidentally writing extra books is still hilarious for me.

I personally was not enthralled to read Szeth flashbacks, but for different reasons than yours. I agree Szeth has been, so far, a bad guy. I also agree having a few bad guys in a story does not hurt: not every one needs to have redemptive qualities. Szeth has committed so much evil, I failed to see how he could ever walk away form it. I thus do not see him becoming a Radiant (shame) and work together with Dalinar: this simply cannot happen. There is no way in the world Szeth will get a pardon for his crimes.

Where does his story goes from now? Honestly, I wished he had remained dead. I saw no further need for him into the plot and I have no desire to learn more about him. Shin culture can be explored without him. However, turns he is not only alive, but a major character Brandon insists on bringing forward.

Mew.

I thus have to trust into Brandon to find an angle into which I could look positively to Szeth, but right now he and Eshonai are about the last characters I want to see promote to major POV.

just because we will see szeth's past, it will not mean it will absolve him of his actions. they still are there, and it can count at most as an extenuating circumstance. it doesn't say anywhere that a major viewpoint character must be good.

on that count, i am more worried about dhalinar's past: we know he was a warlord. a power-hungry, bloodthirsty warlord. he probably killled more people than szeth ever did, iin the name of a meaningless glory and to conquer land that would be lost shortly after. I am afraid reading his past will make me dislike dhalinar.

ultimately, however, i doon't worry. i trust sanderson to know where to bring the story. not all characters are meant to be liked.

just because we will see szeth's past, it will not mean it will absolve him of his actions. they still are there, and it can count at most as an extenuating circumstance. it doesn't say anywhere that a major viewpoint character must be good.

on that count, i am more worried about dhalinar's past: we know he was a warlord. a power-hungry, bloodthirsty warlord. he probably killled more people than szeth ever did, iin the name of a meaningless glory and to conquer land that would be lost shortly after. I am afraid reading his past will make me dislike dhalinar.

ultimately, however, i doon't worry. i trust sanderson to know where to bring the story. not all characters are meant to be liked.

Oh yeah. Dalinar was an awful person and I do believe his past actions will make Adolin little murder of Sadeas appear like child play. Plot twist. Dalinar takes the blame for murdering Sadeas to protect his son thinking if someone needs to pay for crimes, it is him  :o

I compared Szeth to the Joker for a reason. Knowing what made him as he is does not add to the character or the story much; and to do it true justice would take significant time and story space for relatively little return that I can see at this point in time. Given another novel where we get to see more than a few interludes of him, this can absolutely change. And again, this is coming from a place of fear, because while it could be good, it would be very easy to mess up without a greater reward at the end for success.

@judging Szeth: i don't need to know his background or culture. He knows what he is doing is wrong and evil, has little or no idea why he is commanded to do so, and continues doing it anyway. I judge him by my values, knowing that they are mine and not his. Were he a god, a spren, or a blade of grass, i would judge him the same. What he has done so violates my own personal code of ethics and morality that there is literally nothing that can justify his actions for me. Which, again, it's that space of fear I have.

I'm hoping that SA3 will make him interesting enough that I won't dread his flashbacks. But right now dread is what i have, because they have so far been used to build sympathy for the characters. Szeth is the only one for whom i have none.

Seeing the contrast of who Dalinar used to be, and now became, could be an incredibly powerful tool to contrast with Szeth, who seems to have taken am opposite path.

It could comply with his second Oath, by removing an obstacle that would have caused further division

I dunno why I never thought of it before :huh: It is SO good  -_-  Poor Adolin would be completely crushed down to see his father take the blame which would fuel his own breaking further down the road as he'll keep on doing what he does best: stand in between his family and harms way. For better or for worst. 

Dalinar's anger would be directed differently than we have been assuming: towards himself for falling in raising his son appropriately. He takes the blame: emotion power 100.

I compared Szeth to the Joker for a reason. Knowing what made him as he is does not add to the character or the story much; and to do it true justice would take significant time and story space for relatively little return that I can see at this point in time. Given another novel where we get to see more than a few interludes of him, this can absolutely change. And again, this is coming from a place of fear, because while it could be good, it would be very easy to mess up without a greater reward at the end for success.

@judging Szeth: i don't need to know his background or culture. He knows what he is doing is wrong and evil, has little or no idea why he is commanded to do so, and continues doing it anyway. I judge him by my values, knowing that they are mine and not his. Were he a god, a spren, or a blade of grass, i would judge him the same. What he has done so violates my own personal code of ethics and morality that there is literally nothing that can justify his actions for me. Which, again, it's that space of fear I have.

I'm hoping that SA3 will make him interesting enough that I won't dread his flashbacks. But right now dread is what i have, because they have so far been used to build sympathy for the characters. Szeth is the only one for whom i have none.

Seeing the contrast of who Dalinar used to be, and now became, could be an incredibly powerful tool to contrast with Szeth, who seems to have taken am opposite path.

I agree about the contracts in between Szeth and Dalinar: both characters have terrible past, both characters chose opposite direction.

I too feel little sympathy towards Szeth. I disliked his chapters so reading more about him was a dreadful thought. Having his flashback moved to book 5 will perhaps give me enough time to actually care enough about Szeth to want to read about him.