I saw a prompt on Reddit entitled "List 10 random facts about your setting," intended to give users an excuse to share the coolness of their worlds. Since I know there are a lot of dedicated worldbuilders around here, I thought it'd be awesome to repost the idea here and see what fascinating snippets people have to share.

Here would be my ten facts:

1. Luthings consistently rate as one of the most objectively intelligent races in the galaxy, despite never developing any form of civilization or agriculture. While their wits are valuable, most shy away from bringing them aboard spaceships, as all their massive intelligence seems to matter squat when it comes to housetraining them. 

2. The inhabitants of the Jewel Supernal evolved from exceptionally close-knit pack predators, and communicate by changing the colors in their skin. The exchange from thought to communication happens so quickly that lying is practically impossible--they are in practice a race of visual telepaths. 

3. Skordyr, also known as "the big blue bugs," have no eyes and sense their surroundings solely with a sophisticated sonar system, and thus have an incredibly hard time understanding why humans call them "big blue bugs." 

4. Native to one of the most hostile ecologies in the galaxy, hordelings travel in massive predatory swarms and will kill themselves with a sudden, full-body production of toxins if they find themselves separated from their fellows. This makes the study of living hordeling biology about as easy as milking a quatha, which is to say, not easy at all

5. Due to the high amounts of UV radiation the planet is bathed in, the flora of Ixion has developed special waxes which coat the leaves and deflect harmful radiation. The iridescent, almost reflective coatings make the rainforests of Ixion a true wonder to behold from space, and the Planetary Naming Commission has consistently vetoed suggestions to rename the world "Disco Ball."

6. Ilyena Vchera, one of the galaxy's most frightful terrorists, consistently maintained that the severed prosthetic arm she took from the corpse of a felled mercenary possessed the reincarnated soul of Genghis Khan. She would often consort with the metal limb before launching her assaults.

7. On Shanshen, many banking and low-level bureaucratic positions are filled by tigers surgically and genetically altered to possess a humanoid form, a high degree of intelligence, and opposable thumbs. Despite the extensive modifications, the government of Shanshen maintains that these entities comprise part of a breeding program to extend the life and usefulness of the tiger species, and the tiger-folk are still classified by law as Panthera tigris.

8. Sajits, a native predator of the planet Ixion, will launch themselves through the air like projectiles, strike their prey in a patch of exposed hide, and will burrow their way into the hapless creature's flesh and devour it from the inside out. 

9. Related to the previous fact, a good rule of thumb for visiting Ixion is "don't go to Ixion, at all, ever." 

10. The plutonic engine, the source of energy that makes interstellar travel and countless other technologies possible, is so notoriously complicated and mired in subatomic relativistic physics that a common joke in days gone by was the claim the plutonic engine was powered by the souls of the dead. The silence of plutonic engine manufacturers, and the large guild of Supernalian plutonic crafters who call themselves the "Ghost Burners," are in this context quite alarming.

Hmm...I might have to do 3 or 4 of these - one for each of my settings. But we'll start with just one. Since most of y'all have heard of Edassa, I'll go with the City of Mortals for now. Edassa, Hathurin, and the Starnet will come later, if anyone is interested.

1. The capital of the Dominion of Terra is Altierra, a vast complex of networked orbital habitats and space stations orbiting the third planet of the Sol System. It houses almost a billion inhabitants, and every one of them is employed by the Dominion.

2. No human is permitted to set foot on the soil of Terra except the Domin Prime, and even then, the Domin is permitted only to do so once, to perform the ritual of ascension. The priests who perform the ritual never leave the wild planet.

3. The City of Mortals has extant examples of more than a thousand sentient species, most of which are extinct in the Material Realm. In addition, immortal visitors from almost all of the Outer Realms can be seen passing through at various times.

4. The peryian colonies are a form of life unique to the City, and are animated by powerful Unmanifested spirits minimally bound to life shells. With the right knowledge, and the right price, a mortal can access the excess power of the spirit and perform wild feats of magic. Peryian magic is actually the official currency of the city - although it can be exhanged for physical currency at any Banking Guild building.

5. Time flows differently and chaotically between the City of Mortals and other Realms (although it does always move forward). For a hefty price, powerful magic-workers from the Guild of Wizardry can sync time for the duration of a visit, but this is a delicate process. A single mis-pronounced syllable can result in the subject aging at the rate that their Realm is proceeding relative to the City. More than one mortal has abruptly aged into dust this way. The Guild disclaims all liability for accidents of this nature, even if mal-intent can be proven.

6. Related to the last point, if no visitors from your destination realm have entered the City since your arrival, the Guild can arrange for your return to your realm nearly upon the instant of your departure. If another visitor has come since then, the Guild can only return you to the instant of that visitor’s departure.

7. When asked if the quantum causality protection conjecture was an actual physical law, or if it was just another in the long list of not-officially-confirmed-but-widely-known-anyways secretive and manipulative Guild policies, an official spokesman declined comment. Just like last time. And the time before.

8. Mortals seldom die of age in the City of Mortals, and the health care is sufficiently advanced that they don’t often die of other natural causes, either. The leading cause of death in the city is magical accidents, although murder is in a very close second place.

9. The grand marketplaces in the City are one of the wonders of all the Realms. Nearly anything is accepted as currency, and immortals often pay with rare artifacts from the Outer Realms.

10. Despite two very high-profile interventions by a physically manifesting god into their historical affairs, the Dominion of Terra has a primarily atheist population. The inhabitants of the Outer Realms find this an endless source of amusement.

Okay, I like this 10 random facts thing too much not to do one of my own (and nothing too spoilery, I think):

1. The Galaxy of Athesia is a ring galaxy formed from two galaxies colliding with each other. The collision occurred as a part of a war a couple millennia ago.

2. Many planets, both inhabited or uninhabited, are connected to a vast network that allows travel between worlds. The access to these planets is in the form of a spherical gate, known as a Planet Gate.

3. The human race began on a planet called Syranda, and from there, spread to many other planets via these gates, including Earth and another called Sudir.

4. Sudir was also inhabited by some exiles of the aggressors in the aforementioned war. This has led to interesting developments in human civilization on that planet.

5. Earth's continents each have at least one Planet Gate. There's one in Wales, Jerusalem, on the northern island of Japan, somewhere in Mexico, and one on the South Pole.

6. For the most part, Planet Gates have been forgotten, but FTL travel has allowed many races to communicate with each other.

7. The most common race in Athesia is known as the Jij.

8. The aforementioned war was called the Embodiment War. It literally broke the universe. Into 273 distinct pieces.

9. Death used to be a pretty nice guy. He'd buy you ice cream right before harvesting your spirit. Now he just shows up, swipes up your consciousness with his scythe, growls at you, then brings you to the underworld.

10. Death is currently fighting a civil war. It's him versus all the souls he's ever harvested. It is also considered one of the most imbalanced wars of all time, in Death's favor, for very obvious reasons.

...okay, so maybe there was some spoiler-y content here, but I never specified which story this was for, and it's going to be about... what, 10 years before I actually get around to talking about any of these parts? Maybe?

In the Galaxy I am currently writing about, the majority of the Human race was enslaved by an extremely powerful and advanced alien civilization.  Those aliens are also the political superiors of another alien race, called the Xhon.  The two alien races mistreat their human slaves, often using them for forced labor, and occasionall even gladitorial fighting.  The Spirc (the dominant alien race) at some point lost much of their power and technology, and so no longer can travel through space, though portals still connect the multiple planets in the galaxy.  In my book, the humans are trying to escape the Spirc and the Xhon, but have to reinvent spaceships powerful enough to travel from that galaxy to the Milky way, and then to earth.  The main character goes from being in jail, to being the leader of a massive rebellion.  And he must lead his people to earth...

The only thing I am scared about doing, is making my plot too much like the Hunger Games plot.  Any suggestions, comments, or anything like that?  please let me know!

I've got a very unusual world in my head, and I'm trying to think about how it might work. It's sort of a cross between Venice and super sped up continental drift. Basically, there are a heap of islands (not sure about the scale of this yet) that are in constant motion around this large lake / ocean. People frequently travel between these islands, and do stuff (trade??? Haven't worked this out yet.) over there. I'm thinking they might be nomadic just to help the world make sense.

That's... about it.

In the Galaxy I am currently writing about, the majority of the Human race was enslaved by an extremely powerful and advanced alien civilization.  Those aliens are also the political superiors of another alien race, called the Xhon.  The two alien races mistreat their human slaves, often using them for forced labor, and occasionall even gladitorial fighting.  The Spirc (the dominant alien race) at some point lost much of their power and technology, and so no longer can travel through space, though portals still connect the multiple planets in the galaxy.  In my book, the humans are trying to escape the Spirc and the Xhon, but have to reinvent spaceships powerful enough to travel from that galaxy to the Milky way, and then to earth.  The main character goes from being in jail, to being the leader of a massive rebellion.  And he must lead his people to earth...

The only thing I am scared about doing, is making my plot too much like the Hunger Games plot.  Any suggestions, comments, or anything like that?  please let me know!

First of all, welcome to the Shard!

Now, about your novel. (You expressed concern about it being too much like the Hunger Games, so I'll focus on that).

I presume you're referring to the final book, unless your protagonist actually ends up in the arena. So, I'd focus less on the 'I'll have revenge' idea, and more on 'Let's go to where it's safe' idea. Maybe the protagonist could toy with the idea of starting a war against the aliens in a personal vendetta, and then chooses against it. Bear in mind, this is your story. It's all up to you.

Anyone doing Nano again this year? 

I'm going to get some words on book 2 of my Fantasy series: Kings and Rebels - The Shores of Exile

Treason and the misuse of magic led to a cataclysm where the legendary realms of Levonais, Kêr Ys, Caer Gwaelod, and Vineta sank beneath the waves. But the magic stones that had shaped them were saved, and the descendants of the Sea Kings decided to keep the stones hidden, carrying on their line in secret.

But now changes in the currents have enhanced the magic of the stones again, and they can no longer be kept secret. Already one stone has fallen into the hands of the sorceress Kazimira of the Avodrite, and Illugi the Black has learned where another stone is kept; bound on claiming it as his own.

Roderic Sinclaire, the former Royal Marshal turned traitor, has fled Riata and lives at the court of the Seacsan Duke who is beset by enemies, among them the Avodrite led by the sorceress Kazimira. Kjartan Haraldsson,  heir of the king of Nortvegja, has to fight the allied rebel forces of Asbjörn and Illugi; Alastair O'Duibhne is a captive in Nortvegja thanks to the schemes of his brother; and the Cymruyn necromancer princess Iverys verc Tegvared has taken to the mountains where she leads a band of brigands against her half-brother and the King of Albinoria. Things can only get worse. :-)

I want to do a "ten random facts about your world" thing:

1. If you hear a disembodied voice resonding to your thoughts, you are haunted.

2. Being haunted is not condusive to longterm mental health. Many victims contract symptoms not unlike stroke.

3. Most priests, shamans, or other religious types will know how to exorcize that demon for you.

4. Few people leave their houses after dark.

5. Very few people stay up through the midnight hour.

6. Even fewer people go looking for monsterous, glowing apparitions.

7. Fewer still chase after them.

8. No one with an ounce of common sense tries to touch them.

9. Sorcerers don't have any common sense.

10. If you look at someone and they have a ghostly palor, don't say, "You look like you've seen a ghost." Yell, "Sorcerer," and run for the hills. Unless it's night. In that case, sorry, it's tough being you.

-- World of The Etherling --

Edited by Sir Jerric

1. If you hear a disembodied voice resonding to your thoughts, you are haunted.

I must be haunted.

No you're not.

But you're a disembodied voice talking to me in my head. Responding to my thoughts.

Rubbish. I'm just your internal voice. This is nothing but your own inner dialogue.

Dialogue takes two people. Comes from the Greek word 'di' or something.

Oh, so now you're an etymologist, are you?

You just said 'you'!

Oh, did I? I mean, did we?

Edited by Kobold King

Oooo! Ten random things from my 1920's sci fi world, set in 'Francisco.

1.) Nuclear Fission was under development in Alcatraz, but the reactor blew up.

2.) In the aftermath, the San Franscisco Zoo and it's animals were affected by Radiation.

3.) They went on a crazy rampage.

4.) The main story will focus on a Special Forces soldier called Sword, who is dying of radiation.

5.) A snow tiger grew to 50 feet long.

6.) The second character is a old jazz player with many secrets.

7.) Dinosaurs may be involved.

8.) The animals may be able to bond with people.

9.) Lots of Radiation.

10.) Radiation!Al Capone may make a cameo.

What if Rosie the Riveter was a superheroine?

It's an idea that's been banging away in the back of my mind for a while. 

It's the 1940's, and America has just entered the second world war. On the homefront, the women of the country do their part for the war effort by joining shipyards and munitions depot, building weapons and tools for the distant front.

As part of the effort, America's premiere superhero team joins the fight. However, crime doesn't stop in their absence. The situation results in the first superheroine appearing, to try and keep law and order in the United States by night, while working to support the troops during the day.

The story itself would probably mostly be about what happens after the war, when the men come back and try to get women "back in the kitchen", including the Justice League expies, who try to get said superheroine to knock it off now that the men are back... basically, the story of feminism, filtered through the genre lens of superheroes. 

What if Rosie the Riveter was a superheroine?

It's an idea that's been banging away in the back of my mind for a while.

It's the 1940's, and America has just entered the second world war. On the homefront, the women of the country do their part for the war effort by joining shipyards and munitions depot, building weapons and tools for the distant front.

As part of the effort, America's premiere superhero team joins the fight. However, crime doesn't stop in their absence. The situation results in the first superheroine appearing, to try and keep law and order in the United States by night, while working to support the troops during the day.

The story itself would probably mostly be about what happens after the war, when the men come back and try to get women "back in the kitchen", including the Justice League expies, who try to get said superheroine to knock it off now that the men are back... basically, the story of feminism, filtered through the genre lens of superheroes.

I like it. My second writing project, Wonders of the World, is a 1940s era superhero team called the Wonders. The plot is basically that the team works together during WW1 then breaks up right after. The former heroes kids now have to do the job. It is a work in progress. Here's my basic idea of the team below.

The team has a fire manipulator, a superstrong man, a telekinesis person, and a teleporter. 3 girls, one boy.

Edited by Venture Mistborn

Here at ten facts for one of my works, The Osterix Chronicles. 

1. The magic system in this world is based on Cards. While most people can use Cards, they are somewhat difficult to come by if you are not involved with the government.

2. The Cards are attached to your soul. Once they are bonded, they cannot be removed, if they are somehow removed, you die.

3. Most people can only have two or three Cards attached to their soul. While you can technically have four or five Cards attached, having too many will cause your body, mind, and spirit to deteriorate.

4. The first Card that you must Attach is called a Base Card, and which Base Card you use determines what Path you follow. If you wish to become a warrior, your Base Card should gift you something along the lines of increased balance, increased endurance, or becoming more proficient with weapons. The second and third Cards you Attach are normally much stronger than a Base Card. 

5. The four most common paths people take are Warrior, Assassin, Scholar, and Overseer.

6. The Osterix is the Emperor of the city Voman. The Osterix is capable of wielding as many Cards as he wishes. He is the only one that can wield an infinite number of cards.

7. While noblemen can bribe the government to receive Cards, it is very expensive to do so, and many prefer not to due to the debilitating effects the Cards have.

8. Voman, the city that this story mostly takes place in, has a mixture of European and Middle Eastern Architecture.

9. While the government typically does a decent job of preventing the common people from getting Cards, the system they use isn't full- proof, so some have gotten out.

10. The Osterix is immortal.

This was a lot of fun! I may do another list that describes more of the main characters, or more about the world itself.      

Edited by patar365

Here at ten facts for one of my works, The Osterix Chronicles. 

1. The magic system in this world is based on Cards. While most people can use Cards, they are somewhat difficult to come by if you are not involved with the government.

2. The Cards are attached to your soul. Once they are bonded, they cannot be removed, if they are somehow removed, you die.

3. Most people can only have two or three Cards attached to their soul. While you can technically have four or five Cards attached, having too many will cause your body, mind, and spirit to deteriorate.

4. The first Card that you must Attach is called a Base Card, and which Base Card you use determines what Path you follow. If you wish to become a warrior, your Base Card should gift you something along the lines of increased balance, increased endurance, or becoming more proficient with weapons. The second and third Cards you Attach are normally much stronger than a Base Card. 

5. The four most common paths people take are Warrior, Assassin, Scholar, and Overseer.

6. The Osterix is the Emperor of the city Voman. The Osterix is capable of wielding as many Cards as he wishes. He is the only one that can wield an infinite number of cards.

7. While noblemen can bribe the government to receive Cards, it is very expensive to do so, and many prefer not to due to the debilitating effects the Cards have.

8. Voman, the city that this story mostly takes place in, has a mixture of European and Middle Eastern Architecture.

9. While the government typically does a decent job of preventing the common people from getting Cards, the system they use isn't full- proof, so some have gotten out.

10. The Osterix is immortal.

This was a lot of fun! I may do another list that describes more of the main characters, or more about the world itself.      

Wow.  I don't know where to begin.

First, maybe I should state that I love your idea!  That sounds really cool, and it would be so fun to just spend hours thinking up new Cards!

I think that maybe an Assassin Base Card shouldn't be one of the most common ones, but instead maybe Worker or Businessman, since there should be commonfolk in your world.  (unless it's a really corrupt world...)

I came up with a slightly similar idea a while ago.  Except each person had his own knowledge of different spells, which were often passed down from generation to generation.  People often dedicated their whole life to collecting spells and finding new ones. (I guess it isn't all that similar)  However, in my world there is also a greater magic afoot, which suddenly gave one man special powers which didn't require any spells to work.  Almost everyone in my world knows at least a few weak spells.  Spells take no energy or force of will to operate, and thus, anyone can do any spell.  But spells are closely guarded secrets, only shared amongst good friends and family.  The most powerful spells are pretty much always known only by the most powerful families or individuals.  Maybe this can give you some ideas, as I don't plan on writing a book in this world yet.  :D

Edited by ShadowOfTheSun

Wow.  I don't know where to begin.

First, maybe I should state that I love your idea!  That sounds really cool, and it would be so fun to just spend hours thinking up new Cards!

I think that maybe an Assassin Base Card shouldn't be one of the most common ones, but instead maybe Worker or Businessman, since there should be commonfolk in your world.  (unless it's a really corrupt world...)

Thanks! I really do appreciate the feedback! And yeah, I probably should of expanded on the whole assassin thing. Basically, the government controls the distribution of the Cards, and the common people don't really get any. The Osterix is also not a terribly kind fellow, and will force stronger individuals to Attach four or five Cards (which remember, is not good) just so they could be stronger bodyguards and soldiers. He also has a small band of deadly assassins, which were also forced to have a high number of cards. The other reason I mentioned the assassin is because one of the main characters (who is not involved with the gov't or nigh society) managed to get his hands on a few Cards, and followed the assassin path. His Base Card allows his body to become absolutely silent. His footsteps and breathing are silent, and if for whatever reason he sneezes or coughs while sneaking about, no noise would be made. His stronger Card grants him manipulation of shadows.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, let me know if you have any questions. I''m actually working on Chapter One right now, and while I don't have a whole lot of time, I do want to see what you guys think of it. Also, your idea is pretty interesting as well! Spells being more-so related to heritage and family is pretty cool!   

No problem.  ah, I see...  Sorry, I forgot about the fact that cards are rather rare.  :)  So does Osterix go through body guards fairly quickly?  (since they are killed fairly quickly)  or are they somehow made into soul-less monsters?  (just an idea)

Wow, that shadow manipulation sounds pretty cool!  Does that mean he can also manipulate light?  I'm assuming Osterix has some sort of Leadership Card, correct?  Does each card only have one function, or does one choose what that card does, just the Card is the portal from say, a magical world, into the real world, (kind of like in Words of Radiance)?  Man, your idea is really getting me excited!  So many possibilities with magic!  :D

No problem.  ah, I see...  Sorry, I forgot about the fact that cards are rather rare.  :)  So does Osterix go through body guards fairly quickly?  (since they are killed fairly quickly)  or are they somehow made into soul-less monsters?  (just an idea)

Wow, that shadow manipulation sounds pretty cool!  Does that mean he can also manipulate light?  I'm assuming Osterix has some sort of Leadership Card, correct?  Does each card only have one function, or does one choose what that card does, just the Card is the portal from say, a magical world, into the real world, (kind of like in Words of Radiance)?  Man, your idea is really getting me excited!  So many possibilities with magic!  :D

Some of those questions are spot on! The bodyguards are indeed soulless monsters, and while their soul and mind has been broken, their body has somehow been enhanced, and some of the main characters are trying to figure out how that is possible. I'm not sure if he should have any control over light, but I have had an idea that he could create shadows where there should normally be none. The base cards typically involve multiple functions, the one for the warrior increases balance, endurance, and strength. The more powerful cards typically only have one or two functions, or else they could be pretty OP. The Osterix does indeed have a Leadership Card. The idea on how the cards get their power, and this may change, is that someone who wishes to attach a higher level card (since Base Cards are typically all the same) does not choose what the card does, but upon attaching the Card, the Card reads that persons soul, and grants them a power the Card feels is needed. I'm still not sure what I think about that process, so I might try and think of a new way. 

Here are ten facts about a Post-Apocolyptic setting that I've been playing around with in my head. It's an extremely new project, just started it yesterday, so there's a lot I haven't worked out yet.

1. Fifty years ago, an extraterrestrial race known as the Valshi attempted to conquer Earth. They were defeated, but at great cost. Our cities were destroyed, our nations collapsed... all that fun stuff.
2. In the aftermath of the Valshiac War, large swaths of land are covered in a layer of flammable fuel, similar to gasoline. The fuel continuously leaks from the skeletal remains of Valshiac carriers, polluting many water sources and forming wastes known as the Burnlands.
3. The Burnlands are almost entirely covered in a layer of fuel. In many places it's up to knees, or even deeper. The fuel is ever-present. Pooled in ditches and crevices, its pungent odor hanging in the air; it dominates life in the Burnlands.
4. Firestorms are a common occurrence. Wherever lightning strikes, it creates massive explosions, causing fires to run rampant. Late Fall is one of the most dangerous seasons in the Burnlands, when lightning storms are most common. High winds can carry deadly, flaming fuel for miles. The rain is sometimes so polluted with fuel that it ignites, meaning it literally rains fire.
5. Despite the fuel constantly being burned off, there always seems to be more where it came from. It still leaks from within the Valshi carriers, and would soon swallow up the Burnlands if it weren’t being for the firestorms.
6. This fuel is both the bane and salvation of those in the Burnlands. It poses a constant threat, but it’s also a precious resource. There’s very little plant life in the Burnlands, making the fuel the only practical way of starting a fire. You must be very careful when lighting a fire. Fires are generally started in a metal crate or a similar container to keep them from spreading.
7. Vehicles are easily fueled in the Burnlands. All you have to do is scoop a bucket of fuel and dump it in the tank and you’re good to go. Most vehicles in the Burnlands are on treads, which are a lot more effective than wheels in the slick, oily landscape.
8. There’s a lot of scrap metal and other resources to be salvaged from the Valshiac ships, but with the greatest reward comes also the highest risk.
9. The cavernous interiors of these abandoned ships are not only flooded with fuel, but the fumes from that fuel hang thick in the air.
10. Outside, the fumes create a sharp stench and irritate the lungs, but in these catacombs they're far more dangerous. Concentrated and thick as they are down here, a single spark is enough to set it off and bring the whole tunnel down on your head. Even static electricity can be deadly, so be careful what you touch...

Edited by Lindel

A magic system which involves the stars. Specifically, each star represents a story from the world's past or future. The brightness correlates to the importance of the story. Storytellers can draw upon the powers of these stars, if they know the star's story and it's narratively appropriate.

I may be back to post ten facts from my stone magic world.

I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking usual superhero/magic powers. For instance, fireballs. The cool limitation is that it has to be narratively appropriate, but I haven't decided what it can do exactly yet, except that it'll be related to whatever story that star represents.

Do the stories have to be based on true events, or can I write a terrible Mary Sue story about THE MOST POWERFUL SORCERER EVAH and use the star to acquire unlimited power?