Okay, that's really helpful. Now I get why "storing" that potential energy would make little sense, as it's unclear what that would even mean. Just by being located above the surface of the earth, an object has a certain amount of potential energy, and it wouldn't make sense for that energy to simply go away if someone were to "drain" it, since the object would still be at the same height and therefore the same level of potential energy.

The kind of thing I want to be able to accomplish with the magic as far as kinetic energy goes is things like jumping out of an dropship and storing a bunch of Potential during the fall to land without any injury, then later using that Potential to send enemies flying across the battlefield. Store up enough and you could start doing cool stuff like ripping up the ground and creating localized earthquakes. That's the idea. Is there any way to make the physics behind that at least slightly believable?

Yeah, storing actual energy would be a lot easier. You just have to remember consequences.

For example, storing in free-fall will reduce the speed. If you store all of the kinetical energy, that would mean you don't fall while gravity is still working.

You could think 'wait, if he's not falling, he has no speed and thus no kinetic energy, so what is he storing?'. Well, he has no kinetic energy because he stores all of it.

So the effect is like "there should be more energy than there actually is" kind of situations when storing. Your magic would be about energy getting put in situation but somehow disappearing in mage's storage.

Your characters would have to be careful with that - imagine being in a train going 100km/h. If your characters stores 5% of that kinetic energy, that means he goes now only 95km/h. So, relative to the train, he moves back 139cm per second. He is gonna get pulled back. It would be like running at 5km/h straight into the wall at the time of impact and then getting crushed into the wall (can't tell how hard, too lazy to do the math right now). If he tried to store half of his kinetic energy, then... splat.

I suggest not operating with percents (since there is a difference between storing half of kinetic energy while going 1km/h and 100km/h) and instead using some units. Or maybe putting some reminder that storing half of this is possible, but half of this isn't, because it's too much for mage's abilities?

Another important thing - mages can only augment (using magic) and decrease (storing magic) existing energy. You can't run forward and use kinetic energy in opposite direction. You can only use that to be pulled forward. At high enough energy usage you turn into cannonball.

Yeah, storing actual energy would be a lot easier. You just have to remember consequences.

For example, storing in free-fall will reduce the speed. If you store all of the kinetical energy, that would mean you don't fall while gravity is still working.

You could think 'wait, if he's not falling, he has no speed and thus no kinetic energy, so what is he storing?'. Well, he has no kinetic energy because he stores all of it.

So the effect is like "there should be more energy than there actually is" kind of situations when storing. Your magic would be about energy getting put in situation but somehow disappearing in mage's storage.

Your characters would have to be careful with that - imagine being in a train going 100km/h. If your characters stores 5% of that kinetic energy, that means he goes now only 95km/h. So, relative to the train, he moves back 139cm per second. He is gonna get pulled back. It would be like running at 5km/h straight into the wall at the time of impact and then getting crushed into the wall (can't tell how hard, too lazy to do the math right now). If he tried to store half of his kinetic energy, then... splat.

I suggest not operating with percents (since there is a difference between storing half of kinetic energy while going 1km/h and 100km/h) and instead using some units. Or maybe putting some reminder that storing half of this is possible, but half of this isn't, because it's too much for mage's abilities?

Another important thing - mages can only augment (using magic) and decrease (storing magic) existing energy. You can't run forward and use kinetic energy in opposite direction. You can only use that to be pulled forward. At high enough energy usage you turn into cannonball.

I like that a lot, actually. I did kinda like the term Potential to refer to the pool of stored up energy, but I can think of something else. Thanks for all the help!

The plants of Ixion are subjected to the intense heat and UV radiation of the host star for twenty long hours each day. Since early in the planet's history, flora evolved to absorb only what they needed and to reflect all of the excess light back into space.

The leaves of an Ixionian tree are like pliable biological mirrors, blinding to look at. Even from space the immense coastal rainforest called the Dazzling Coast is visible as an intensely luminous band across the planet's equator.

And yet just underneath the dazzling canopy the forest is pitch black, no light left to nourish the forest floor. There are tree tappers which inhabit the dark zone under the canopy which suck out the sap of the tree trunks, and there even some large climbing carnivores that will climb to the canopy at night to feed on the arboreal herbivores that make their homes in the upper levels.

The result is a beautiful complex ecosystem ripe for study, but utterly hostile to human settlement efforts. While Ixion is located in a useful defensive position within the Humaneria, the colonies and military outposts of the planet are located further north and inland where water isn't plentiful enough for the Dazzling's Coast's unique trees.

Ok my Skyverea characters are screaming at me to write something about them so I'll just put as much as possible here. It is not finished at all, I havent even figured out how the magic system really works, but hey, someone may have ideas.

Ok, lets start with the Skyverea itself (It is a portmantue of Sky-universe-sea). The inspiration for it was Super Mario Galaxy so you have tiny planets floating around, most of them no larger than a country, a lot of them in weird shapes (like a loop planet), made out of weird things (like pudding) or behaving in strange ways (a planet where trees dance). There are clouds (though they can rain more things than water), weird flying fish and birds and of course large, glowing spheres, you guessed it, Stars.

Stars behave slightly differently in the Skyverea than they do in our universe (Actually most things behave differently, but we will get to that), first of all they are rarely bigger than planets, though they are in general still pretty big, they grow darker and lighter in the period of a 'day' (because I wanted day and night cycles and I couldnt figure out how else to do that) and most important of all: Starlight is the source of magic.

Ok so here is where my universe building is getting fuzzy. I havent figured out how the magic works yet, but I can give you some basics and some ideas.

Starlight can be stored in things. I am thinking bones, woods, metals and liquids, but I may decide to just use one of these or something completely different. While human skin (well, as much as the Skyvereans are still human under constant magic radiation) can absorb Starlight it is slow, slower than using something else and holding too much Starlight in your body is dangerous.

The idea at the moment is that Starlight is the power of change. You can reshape things, turn things into something else, move things and enchant things. Enchant like... I dont know, fire swords, or something like that.But I do feel like this is limiting myself a bit too much so I will probably change it.

Riem the Theif (the main character of this possibly grand adventure if I ever get down to writing it and is the one nagging me to write this down (Shut up, please)) has the ability to change how things are seen. He can change how noticeable things are. If he lowers how noticeable they are they get harder to see, the sounds they make will be duller, they will be handwaved away as "Just the wind" and they will be harder to remember (Like the man in the tan jacket for the Night Vale fans) and of course vice versa.

He can change how 'likable' things are. Ever had a lucky coin that was just like every other coin except it was your lucky coin? Chance is Riem once had his hands on it.

So yeah, questions? Ideas? Rituals for summoning The Muse?

I was told that it was confusing who is who at first, so quick guide:
Haesar (nickname: Hes) - the leader, power of fire. His hallmark is blue fire.
Hoarfroster - cold/ice mage.
Alchemist - runes, symbols, protective circles, matter warping a'la FMA and energy convertion. Female.
Plague - power of decay. Due to it being so destructive oriented, he isn't able to create any armor for himself.
Fang - not relevant now.

Five people were falling through the clouds. They were orbiting a metal object. The wind silenced their words.
"Can you break the spells?!"
Further visualisations extended in the air, giving off a riot of colours.
"No! Don't know! They're complex!"
"How much time till explosion?"
"One minute forty seconds given the sustaining spell withstands."
"I cannot break the security protections. Plague, could you break through the shields and take out the fissionable material?" asked the man burning blue.
"There is a safety mechanism, when the shields go down the detonator will go off!" interjected the girl breaking the spells.
The only person without any plate was silently thinking for a moment. He took another look on the spells int the air and shook his head. "I wouldn't be able to destroy the spells quick enough."
"Alchemist, we aren't able to break the spells, Plague can't delete them. Would you manage to cast energy absorbers?"
"One minute five seconds left" said Fang.
"I've got radioactivity shields, penetrating radiation shields, I can stop about ninety percent of the shockwave and half of the electromagnetic pulse; the worst is heat energy, I can stop maybe one third of it" recited girl. "But Hes, I can't absorb all of it!"
"We'll put all of it in the protective circle around the city" answered the man in the burning armor.
He just needeed to find the link to this spell which was inactive for three years.
"Forty five seconds."
He felt an unfolding bond of energy, he looked down, the ring encompassing Vraslav glowed in his mind. He threw the bond to Alchemist, who immediately started to connect it to her shields.
"I'll absorb the heat and turn it into pure energy, you will add it to the circle" said Hes, surrounding the bomb with his own spells. "Hoarfroster, I'll be burning, you stay close to Alchemist, protect her from the heat. Fang, you and Plague get a..."
"I can prolong the explosion by twelve seconds, I managed to slow down the processes of decay in this space!" - shouted Plague.
"Good, link the spell to Hoarfroster and get lost, Fang, you too."
They didn't protest, just said "Don't dare to die" and flied away.
"How much left?"
"Fourteen seconds. With these energies even your regeneration won't be of help. You really can absorb so much heat?" asked Hoarfroast.
"I guess I can handle it."
"You guess?! Are you..."
Explosion interrupted him mid-word. Hes felt a surge of heat when fire started to flow into him; simultaneously the electromangetic pulse hit him but didn't do any damage to him. There was some beauty in the inferno developing in the place of the bomb, the shine and heat of a thousand suns encapsuled in a small sphere, like a bonfire of the gods.
To his right he felt Alchemist pouring the power into the protective circle and Hoarfroster strenghtening his cold shield. And then his plate started to fume to burst into flames a moment later, changing him into a living torch. He didn't felt pain; the nature of his power gave him control over fire, in fact the nature of hid power was fire. He started to convert into pure magical energy, sending it through the bond to Alchemist. What he couldn't convert was vented outside where it dispersed in the air, part of  it clashing with cold shield of Hoarforst who put more power into it to match the energy Haesar exhibited.
And then, when the majority of the blast was absorbed, when they thought they could make it, Alchemist's kinetic and heat shields gave up. Shockwave tossed them so fast that clouds trailed them. Haesar screamed, increasing capacity of his shields, Hoarfrost maxed his up, Alchemist strenthened the bond with Haesar who now looked like man-sized sun.
He focused all of his power on energy convertion, not caring about his armor breaking being not adjusted to such strain. He started to feel warm what definitely wasn't a good sign. When you couldn't handle your own power, it was really, really bad. Warm slowly started to change to heat and heat to burning heat, as if he was standing near opened furnace. He feared that in a moment his own power would incinerate him, that nothing would remain of him but a heap of seared bones.
And then the explosion ended. He would have sighed with relief it it wasn't for the fact that their flight-enabling amulets toasted because of such intense energy.
Great, he thought, catching both Alchemist and Hoarfrost, flying Human Torch style, attempt number three.

So that's it.
Something more about characters:
Haesar Esagvere (abbreviated: Hes) - fire mage, leader, the most experienced one due to being initiated few years earlier. He initiated the rest of them. Weapon: straight sword. He is the only one with full body armor because due to having these few years of experience more he is simply better at magic than the rest. He gained the nickname Blue Flame.
Hoarfrost - second in command, cold mage. He also chose a sword as a weapon.
Plague - mage of decay. Due to his power being so destruction oriented he can't forge any kind of armor for himself and the standard set of body augmenting and regenerative spells is weaker. He named his sword 'Vanitas' (bonus points for figuring out the reference!)
Fang - he is one of his kind since each of his parents descends from a lineage of vampires(mother) or werewolves(father). Both of these powers were dormant, he was initiated as a mage what allows him to pick different attributes of both powers. Due to his double supernatural senses he is the tracker of the team. He uses claws as weapon. He is good with animals etc. ( I am not sure about this vampires/werewolves thing, but I want to keep mixed lineage)
Alchemist - runes, symbols, protective circles, matter warping a'la FMA and energy convertion. Female. She wields no weapon, she paints runes and symbols on her body what has both advantages and disadvantages. (I am not sure about her name, 'Alchemist' doesn't sound right enough)

The story is kind of what-if in the future - this scene is the opening of the story of what would happen should nuclear war start. With mages. So the main story would be some kind of magic post-apo.

Tell me what you think, please :)

P.S. that's my first translation into English of something so long, feel free to point out wrong use of tenses and things like that.

Edited by Oversleep

Ok my Skyverea characters are screaming at me to write something about them so I'll just put as much as possible here. It is not finished at all, I havent even figured out how the magic system really works, but hey, someone may have ideas.

Ok, lets start with the Skyverea itself (It is a portmantue of Sky-universe-sea). The inspiration for it was Super Mario Galaxy so you have tiny planets floating around, most of them no larger than a country, a lot of them in weird shapes (like a loop planet), made out of weird things (like pudding) or behaving in strange ways (a planet where trees dance). There are clouds (though they can rain more things than water), weird flying fish and birds and of course large, glowing spheres, you guessed it, Stars.

Stars behave slightly differently in the Skyverea than they do in our universe (Actually most things behave differently, but we will get to that), first of all they are rarely bigger than planets, though they are in general still pretty big, they grow darker and lighter in the period of a 'day' (because I wanted day and night cycles and I couldnt figure out how else to do that) and most important of all: Starlight is the source of magic.

Ok so here is where my universe building is getting fuzzy. I havent figured out how the magic works yet, but I can give you some basics and some ideas.

Starlight can be stored in things. I am thinking bones, woods, metals and liquids, but I may decide to just use one of these or something completely different. While human skin (well, as much as the Skyvereans are still human under constant magic radiation) can absorb Starlight it is slow, slower than using something else and holding too much Starlight in your body is dangerous.

The idea at the moment is that Starlight is the power of change. You can reshape things, turn things into something else, move things and enchant things. Enchant like... I dont know, fire swords, or something like that.But I do feel like this is limiting myself a bit too much so I will probably change it.

Riem the Theif (the main character of this possibly grand adventure if I ever get down to writing it and is the one nagging me to write this down (Shut up, please)) has the ability to change how things are seen. He can change how noticeable things are. If he lowers how noticeable they are they get harder to see, the sounds they make will be duller, they will be handwaved away as "Just the wind" and they will be harder to remember (Like the man in the tan jacket for the Night Vale fans) and of course vice versa.

He can change how 'likable' things are. Ever had a lucky coin that was just like every other coin except it was your lucky coin? Chance is Riem once had his hands on it.

So yeah, questions? Ideas? Rituals for summoning The Muse?

Could, say, a pool of water be filled with Starlight, thus giving the pool the power to alter anything that swam in or drank from it? 

Could, say, a pool of water be filled with Starlight, thus giving the pool the power to alter anything that swam in or drank from it? 

As it is at the moment, while Starlight can decide to do things on its own it usually needs someone controlling it.

So I would say maybe. Though things would be changed in a certain way. So like... you have a pool that always turns people into rabbits. Except every second dimming (night) when it turns things into ice cream. Because Starlight isnt very fond of making sense all the time.

Could a fish that lives in the pool use the Starlight to turn other fishes into nobles and lilypads into warriors and command them to bring her alive things to turn into the working class and in doing so create the kingdom of King Fishington the 1st? The fabled land of Pondland

Edited by ChickenPlague

Could a fish that lives in the pool use the Starlight to turn other fishes into nobles and lilypads into warriors and command them to bring her alive things to turn into the working class and in doing so create the kingdom of King Fishington the 1st? The fabled land of Pondland

Turning non-sentient things into sentient things is probably not possible, turning sentient things into things they dont want to be is almost impossible unless the fish have a secret desire to be people. Or unless he has an extreme amount of starlight.

Everything wants to be what it is, somethings want to transform, fire wood wants to be fire for example, not saying that trees want to be fire, but if you have gone through the effort to chop them up you may as well turn them into something.

Two things may happen if you try to turn something into something it does not want to be:

1. Nothing. This happens mostly with living things. You cant just transform someone into fire. They dont want to be fire. Stop trying to turn them into fire.

2. They transform but when the Starlight of the spell runs out they turn back into what they were.

You could of course use an insane amount of Starlight to do things that should not really be possible, but then you may as well just transform the entire room into fire and burn them instead. Thats less of a waste.

Oh yes, and healing things are easy. Things dont want to be hurt.

Some things do...

You see why I need to think this through more? XD

Im thinking about just having that enchantment thing. So if you want to make a fireball you take a ball of somekind, put a spell on it to make it burn and throw it, but I dont know...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a magic system I've been playing around with for a year or so, but I still haven't settled on the final piece. It's all built around powers associated with each of the Primary and Secondary colors, but I still haven't decided what I want to do with the last color.

Irimancy is based around eye color. An Irimancer’s eyes are a bright, almost unnatural shade, and come in a pair of any two Colors from the six listed below. Irimancers draw power from ink that's directly touching their skin, dissolving the ink and using its power to Color anything they can see. Irimantic Color is visible only to other Irimancers, and it has no actual physical presence. Physically, some of the ink on the Irimancer's skin disappears. To an ordinary person, nothing else happens, but to an Irimancer, the Color appears to flow out of the person, and, depending on which color was used, either settle into a specific shape, cover a surface, or infuse an entire object. 

There are two key features of Irimantic Color. First, concentration. The more concentrated the Color is, the deeper it appears. Deeper Color uses up more ink, holds more power, and will last longer. Second, brightness. An Irimancer cannot deepen the Color or alter its shape once it’s been set, but he can control how rapidly he uses up the Color. The more quickly he drains the power, the brighter it glows.

Red Irimancers manipulate kinetic energy. Red Irimancy Colors a single object or creature. Coloring an object Red allows an Irimancer to alter the direction an object’s momentum carries it at will. The more energy being affected, the more Color it drains. Doing this allows them to suddenly change directions mid-step without slowing down, or jump off tall buildings and literally hit the ground running, among other things. Red Irimancers are known to weave across battlefields, dashing, leaping, and dodging with supernatural grace and skill. An Irimancer with double Red can transfer speed from one of his Colored objects to the other.

Orange Irimancers manipulate thermal energy. Orange Irimancy forms a Colored sphere, and the Irimancer can transfer thermal energy either from the edges of the sphere toward the center, or from the center toward the edge. Again, the more energy moved, the more Color drained.

Yellow Irimancers manipulate sound waves. A Yellow can amplify or dampen any sound that passes through a precisely crafted  path or shape. Sound waves within the Colored space can only be amplified or dampened, and all waves that pass through the Colored space are affected. Double Yellow Irimancers are capable of far more subtlety, Coloring pathways that are insulated by a second layer to direct sound with pinpoint precision. (I'm thinking of having very talented Yellows be able to mess not just with volume, but with pitch and frequency, which has some fun implications.)

Green Irimancers manipulate gravitational fields. A Green eye can Color a sphere, creating a gravitational field that either repels or attracts everything outside the sphere toward its center. Objects that lie within the sphere are unaffected. Green Irimancers develop a sense of balance that allows them a fair amount of control over the gravitational field, giving them control over whether different objects are drawn straight into it, slingshot around, fall into orbit, and so forth. Double Greens can use chains of bubbles to hurl themselves or others through the sky, and also create tidal forces that rip objects apart.

Blue Irimancers manipulate electrostatic energy. Blue can Color a surface, as if covering it in a layer of paint. The surface doesn’t have to be perfectly flat, nor does it necessarily have to be part of a continuous whole. The Color just sort of "splatters" across a surface, effecting everything it covers. Once a surface has been Colored, its positive or negative charge can be amplified. Blue Irimancers climb across walls and ceilings, trip opponents by suddenly sticking their shoes to the floor, and hurl bolts of supercharged static electricity. You gotta be careful with that last one, though. An inexperienced Blue might attempt to form lighting from his own fingertips, and inadvertently fry himself, since the current goes both ways. Blue Irimancers typically wear gloves with an insulated interior, and generate lightning on the outer surface of the glove. Double Blue Irimancers are able to create a powerful repulsion between surfaces by simultaneously charging both sides.

Violet is up in the air right now. I have several obvious choices left on forms of energy, but none of them pop out to me. Any suggestions for what would fit?

Ooh, I actually like that a lot! And you're right, Green doesn't fit with Gravity, but it works quite well with Elasticity. Thanks!

EDIT: So, the first couple things that popped into my head when it comes to messing with objects's Elasticity were absorbing absorbing shock, turning your legs into massive springs, that kind of thing. And potentially decreasing Elasticity to make an object, (or a bone...), more brittle and breakable. Is this basically what you picturing? Any other interesting applications you thought of?

Edited by Lindel

While researching Spokane and WWII, I came across some interesting links. 

Spokane's Jewish community goes back to the late 1800s. The Rubens family, a prominent and long-standing pillar of the community, brought in over 50 Jews from Germany in the 1930s. 

Fascism became briefly popular during the Great Depression. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this, history buff that I am, but I had no idea the Silver Shirts had existed before now. I was saddened, but not surprised, at everything I read about them—their popularity, their creepy views, and, thankfully, the fact they lost popularity when the US entered the war. 

For Astronomy, we had to research one of Jupiter's moons and invent an alien who lives there. Zoology isn't exactly my forte, but I gave it my best shot.

Behold!

“A Brief Treatise on the Europan Aliens, AKA 'Europites'”

by Professor George F. J. Hibou

ATMOSPHERE

Europites live underwater, so atmospheric pressure isn't much of a problem. They do, however, have unusually strong skeletons to combat the high water pressure deeper down.

The atmosphere itself is made up mostly of molecular oxygen. The sub-glacial ocean contains a fair amount of it. As such, finding sufficient air is not a challenge for these creatures, who seem to thrive on high levels of the stuff.

TEMPERATURE

Europites are warm-blooded, with an average body temperature of 200*F. This is to make up for the fact that temperatures on Europa are extremely low. [Note: This may be a problem, as a species with heat vision is speculated to evolve in the next millennium or so. That's right. Be scared, little fishes. Natural selection is coming for you.]

PLANETARY MAKEUP

Lots of ice and silicate rock. There are several free-floating minerals in the water, but when the need to feast arises, Europites migrate to the crust where they basically lick the ice and rocks until they're full. [Note: Studying the Europites' dietary habits was a nightmare. I still have the bandage from the time I was mistaken for food by one particularly (and I mean this literally) rough-tongued Europite.]

GRAVITY

Not a concern. They're fish. They float. It's what they do. Gravity being 1/10 that of Earth's isn't going to change much.

WEATHER

Occasionally, some poor, injured Europites get swept away by underwater currents. But again, they're fish. They usually come out no worse for the wear. [Note: They're actually quite endearing when befuddled like that. Pity I had to eat the one I found, due to misplaced rations. For those wondering, no, it did not taste like chicken.]

WATER?

...they're fish.

OTHER

I must say, this particular specimen has proven quite adaptable. It's taken to Earth's conditions quite well. It's positively thriving in the simulator-tank I constructed for it upon my return.

Also, I have named him Sir Poissons de Mort. Morty, for short.

He likes pretzels.  

Edited by Slowswift

So.

I have just decided to write a Splatoon fan fiction. I know I want part of the plot to be set during the great turf war, (Think grand scale humanoid octopus vs squid war, all while water levels on earth are rising, threatening to dissolve both species) And another part of the plot set in "present" day inkopolis. (Squid city) I have a list of characters, a general idea of what there functions will be, and the sort of ending I want.

. . . What can I do to make it interesting?

So.

I have just decided to write a Splatoon fan fiction. I know I want part of the plot to be set during the great turf war, (Think grand scale humanoid octopus vs squid war, all while water levels on earth are rising, threatening to dissolve both species) And another part of the plot set in "present" day inkopolis. (Squid city) I have a list of characters, a general idea of what there functions will be, and the sort of ending I want.

Um. Well. Not knowing anything about Splatoon, I have to say that what you just said in this post sounds pretty interesting already. :P 

Just add things that you like and that you're excited about. Your enthusiasm will shine through, and that's what will make it interesting. It's not having the "right" ideas so much as using them in a way that's enjoyable to read—and chances are that if it's fun to write, it should be fun to read. 

So.

Minor nit pick about this (You should probably read through all the sunken scrolls), but isnt it implied that the era of mollusks takes place way after the sea levels have risen and humanity has gone extinct? I may remember this wrong though.

You could have some sort of double chronology or whatever. One that tells the story of the great turf wars, one that tells present day Inkopolis and find an interesting way to tie them together.

So.

Well. That sounds like an... interesting franchise. :P

It does sound like a cool fanfic. Would you mainly be using canon characters or your own OCs?

Oh, forgot to ask: could I get a couple of opinions on my piece? Especially from Kobold, as zoology is his thing.

I like the Europites a lot. :)

Personally I doubt that that licking minerals off of the bottom of icebergs would make up a hearty foundation for an ecosystem. Physical materials alone are not enough to power an ecosystem. You need a source of energy; a foundation of photosynthetic organisms would be the best way of harvesting energy to fuel the ecology, but hydrothermal vents would also work. I hesitate to bring this up, however, since I'm unsure whether you were implying that the Europite ecosystem is predicated on mineral deposits or merely that the creatures supplement their diets on the stuff. The latter of which would be quite feasible and is in fact quite an ingenious quirk of the planet.

I love the idea of heat vision being the dominant form of sensory input among these species; I'd caution though that a mere millennium is absolutely nothing in the scale of evolution, however, and a complex adaptation like heat vision would take many millions of years to be properly established. I think the Europites as a concept would be strengthened if thermal vision were already part of their ecology, allowing for complex predator/prey dynamics and some neat Darwinian stuff. (Maybe even a fish that produces a particularly hot organ inside of itself like a bombardier beetle, solely for the purpose of attracting mates.)

Like I said, I'm really fond of these guys and think they have a lot of potential. :D Just bringing up the couple of bits that I feel might need to be expanded on, is all. I'd be particularly interested in learning about different phyla of Europite life; are there invertebrates that coexist with the fish, for instance? If so, how do they interact? Is there any life that ever comes up all the way to the surface of the ice? What about life that goes all the way to the bottom of the ocean?

Well. That sounds like an... interesting franchise. :P

It does sound like a cool fanfic. Would you mainly be using canon characters or your own OCs?

Almost half my characters are in canon, but the story I want to tell would tie in with the plot of the game. Since story mode is a smaller part of the game, compared to MMO mode, the characters don't have too much character development. Just enough to expand on. Edited by The Honor Spren