That. Is. Awesome!

I would definitely be interested in that! :D

Some very interesting races. And the dwarves, of course XD

Anyway it is a great idea, I would definitely join if you did that.

I'm not very good at designing races (my more innovative ideas tend to be "Elves! With lobster heads!") but if anyone wants input with the social/political component, I'm in.

I'm game too.

I'm tempted. I'm really tempted...

I'd definitely be interested, assuming someone takes the initiative to get it started.

I call the minotaurs!

Huh. And here as me thinking I'd get a non-committal "I guess" or so before getting totally ignored. :P:D I wouldn't mind starting a thread for it--I'm thinking this will be a pretty loose effort with little in the way of rules, so there wouldn't be much in the way of moderation. Just a basic map showing all the biomes, and then a free pass to anyone who signs up.

How does Diaemus sound as the name of the world?

World-scale maps are tricky, but the real world is naturally fractal. (Can't remember who suggested it originally.) I've zoomed in on a coast in Google Maps satellite, traced the outline and added my own mountains and rivers. All for RP campaign.

I'd be interested in participating in a collective world. Did almost the same as Kobold with my own younger brothers, and a few friends.

I took a Weather & Climate class in college for the worldbuilding know-how, and I'm willing to try applying it. =)

Edited by Sir Jerric

I don't have the time for this, but to heck with it. Count me in. Those of you who are aware of my projects (and if you're not, at least a few people have reported that they are fun looking at, so it might be worthwhile) know that I'm good for whatever you need me for. Culture and religion, though? Those are my specialties.

I can do mapping or climate/physical worldbuilding well enough if you want my input on that.

Oh, and cosmology. I like cosmology.

Oooh, if you guys do decide to go through with this, would you mind posting it in a new thread so people can follow your progress?

I am -fairly well established by this point- terrible at worldbuilding, and having an on-site "how to" guide would be ridiculously helpful.

Just testing the waters, but what would Sharders think about doing something similar here? Starting a project for a fantasy setting where different members design different corners of the world, bringing them together into a cohesive and awesome whole?

This sounds like so much fun! If you ever get it together, I'm totally in!! 

Just testing the waters, but what would Sharders think about doing something similar here? Starting a project for a fantasy setting where different members design different corners of the world, bringing them together into a cohesive and awesome whole?

As the Crooked Warden said, if you get it together, I'm in as well.

Nope! :P

I'm actually adapting a form of the Lumuole system (my original design, without Mckeedee's additions - although those were wonderful, they aren't mine, and so I don't feel comfortable porting them) for part of my Edassa setting.

But it certainly is running slower now...

I have no idea how to world-build, so I'm mostly just following Deimos...

...But any more general or theoretical advice ya'all would be interested in dispensing would be greatly appreciated.

I view worldbuilding under two categories: just for fun and practical.

The Diaemus project falls under the just for fun heading. Loads of detail all over and more being added. Fun it certainly can be, but if you aim to be a working writer then the term changes to worldbuilder's disease.

Practical worldbuilding is more the type Sanderson does. Choosing a concept that a story needs to address and focusing attention on that. This technique tends to develop worlds that read well, but have little depth under closer scrutiny.

To avoid the flaws of the practical approach, I like to build each world with two or more distinct stories in mind. This gives direction for greater depth while not being completely open-ended.

In any case the process is little more than asking questions about the costs and ramifications of making various changes, and providing believable or interesting answers.

If you think this is too complicated for you, I know a game for that. :)