Random question.

I'm sure I read this idea somewhere, but I can't for the life of me think where. I keep thinking it might have been from Magician by Raymond E. Feist, but I can't find any kind of reference to it...

So I'm throwing this out to you guys, to see if this is an idea I'm stealing from elsewhere (which... is why there isn't much thought into it, beyond the general concept).

Obviously, swords have a pretty big role in fantasy novels. Heroes have swords with names, magic swords, swords than pop into existence abut ten heartbeats and can cut through anything...

My point is, we love swords.

Has anyone ever done the same idea with bows?

I was thinking it might be cool to have a culture where, instead of how important swords are in most fantasy books (and to us in the real world), ranged weapons were the most ideal and prized form of combat. I'm sure I saw the idea somewhere, but I can't think where...

I personally haven't heard of such setup. However one thought: An excellent bow with poor quality arrow is probably not that great. If you are to put so much emphasis on bows/crossbows remember to make production of projectiles an art too :)

I haven't even started to put any thought into it, since I would have to study regular archery first.

(Gives me an excuse to try and get into it though... what? Stop looking at me like that! I thought archery was cool long before I started watching Arrow!)

I was just thinking... well, on Roshar there is so much emphasis on the art of swordsmanship; styles, and stances, and so on. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to translate that to other weapons. Spears would seem kind of easy and obvious, archery... might be more difficult.

Random question.

I'm sure I read this idea somewhere, but I can't for the life of me think where. I keep thinking it might have been from Magician by Raymond E. Feist, but I can't find any kind of reference to it...

So I'm throwing this out to you guys, to see if this is an idea I'm stealing from elsewhere (which... is why there isn't much thought into it, beyond the general concept).

Obviously, swords have a pretty big role in fantasy novels. Heroes have swords with names, magic swords, swords than pop into existence abut ten heartbeats and can cut through anything...

I was thinking it might be cool to have a culture where, instead of how important swords are in most fantasy books (and to us in the real world), ranged weapons were the most ideal and prized form of combat. I'm sure I saw the idea somewhere, but I can't think where...

I am pretty sure someone in bridge 4 (cant for the life of me remember who though, it was in WoK, anyway...) mentions that in his culture ranged combat is considered more honorable than close ranged combat. It was kind of in the passing though, so I dont think you are stealing anything.

Random question.

I've read 90% of Feist's Work, and I can't think of any culture that honours Bows, unless you count the classic Elven Archer concept.

Disclaimer: Before I explain this to you guys, I want you to know I realize this sounds a lot like a Cosmere knockoff, but I came up with most of this stuff before I even knew about the Cosmere! So cut me some slack. . .

My world/interconnected universe is known in my head as "The Seven Realms", mainly because I haven't come up with a cool name for it yet.

Magical creatures:

The whole worlds are all inhabited by spirits, some more than others. People can (and frequently will) make contracts with these spirits. They are either the source or involved in other ways with the magic systems in the realms.

World stuff:

this place is called The Seven Realms because, there are, well, seven realms. Basically it's seven parallel worlds, each with their own magic system. (Except for two of them, but we'll get to those later.) They could be shown in this diagram that looks sort of like at stack of pancakes, with the top ones being safer, and the bottom ones being very dangerous.

My iPhone is about to die, I'll post more on this later.

So. I have to write another myth, this time for (gasp!) Mythology.

And, um, it's due tomorrow.

I do have a sort of vague outline, but I thought I'd run by y'all before putting the pen to paper.

Attached is a photo of my pathetic "notes". Hopefully with that as a bit of framework we can make a workable idea.

The myth has to be a page long, give or take a paragraph or so. My subject of choice is trees: maybe why they exist or why a certain type exists or something.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help you all can give. :)

post-6641-0-57225800-1441232997_thumb.jp

Edited by Slowswift

I do have a sort of vague outline, but I thought I'd run by y'all before putting the pen to paper.

Attached is a photo of my pathetic "notes". Hopefully with that as a bit of framework we can make a workable idea.

The myth has to be a page long, give or take a paragraph or so. My subject of choice is trees: maybe why they exist or why a certain type exists or something.

"Zeus has affair in forest."

Why are you even asking for our help? That's your myth right there. In fact, that is EVERYTHING you will ever need to know about classical mythology. "Zeus has affair in (place) with (female name) disguised as a (animal) and as a result...." :P

I actually couldn't see everything, because my phone made me tilt my head at odd angles to see it. Maybe trees exist because Zeus needed some sort of cover to shield his many affairs from Hera, because he couldn't just STOP having affairs. That would just be silly. <_<

Saw you posted it in a different topic, so... I'll reply therer as soon as I can. In the meantime, I hope it went well and you get a good grade and seriously, why couldn't we get fun assignments like that...

Also:

"The Gulag of Fairyland".

I don't have any idea what it might be about, but I really, really like that title. 

Random question.

Ranger's Apprentice. And almost all books to do with elves, they r generally depicted with bows and magic.

I wrote the basic plot summary for a fantasy novel with nothing but historical events transposed into a fantasy world, and the first response I get is, "You are asking for too much suspension of disbelief." Real history is too convoluted and unlikely to be accepted as fiction. Apparently, I had to tone down the riots, destroyed city and fifty thousand deaths caused by a sports match, the general who sent his own physicians to help the wounded king he was currently at war with, the force of three thousand overcoming an army of nine thousand, and a dozen other plot points which were considered too unlikely.

I wrote the basic plot summary for a fantasy novel with nothing but historical events transposed into a fantasy world, and the first response I get is, "You are asking for too much suspension of disbelief." Real history is too convoluted and unlikely to be accepted as fiction. Apparently, I had to tone down the riots, destroyed city and fifty thousand deaths caused by a sports match, the general who sent his own physicians to help the wounded king he was currently at war with, the force of three thousand overcoming an army of nine thousand, and a dozen other plot points which were considered too unlikely.

What's going on here?

Personally, I would continue as is, while noting the need for complex but well defined motivations. The reader reaction is not wrong, but the reader's prescription often is.

That sounds like chariot race fans in Byzantium gone hooligan, Saladin and Richard Lionheart, and about a dozen historical battles, Cannae, Issos, and Azincourt among them.  What's not to like. :D

I get it now. Its actually a really good idea, a bit like time Riders but all at once.

Why does out numbering system have a base of ten? Because that's the number of fingers primitive humans had. Part of my story includes a long dead race that was similar to human, but had two opposable thumbs on each hand, for a total of 12 Fingers. Their number system would be base 12. Do you know how hard it is to convert base 10 Formula's into a base 12 number system?

Because I don't.

I literally cannot figure out how to convert mathematics into a base 12 system. Are there any mathematical geeks out there who could help me?

Well, pi is the radio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter. That's constant, no matter the base you're using.

And a number in base 10 is the same number in base 12, as far as I'm aware. It's just the representation that's different. Tricks for working problems that are simple in base 10 might become far more complicated in base 12, but I can't think of any that are invalidated. Do you have one specifically you are concerned about?

One of the cultures in the book I'm trying to write is influenced by three groups of spirits, Primal, Mental and Spectral, who have built a religion around the number three. The idea here is that they forcibly divide the society into three distinct branches, peasantry, aristocracy and merchants, with lesser spirits subtly manipulating everyday lives to make them align closer to threes. Note that one's social class is not passed through heritage; the spirits designate children at random, though they will never designate someone for a role when said person's sibling already fills that role.

When it comes to their direct intervention,it is physically impossible to have more than three children, one child will always be a peasant, one will always be a merchant and one will always be a leader. One of those children will always die before the age of nine, though families with less than three children have a chance to avoid it. The deaths are usually prevalent with whichever child was chosen for a role that was currently overstocked; if there are too many leaders and not enough farmers, to give an example, the spirits will kill every leader-designated child for a set number of years.

Families with only one child are seen as conforming to the number with two parents and the child, and families with three children as well, but families with just two children are usually wrecked with bad luck. If you have two siblings and one has already died, or if you were not marked to die, the spirits will actively try to keep you alive, as long as your age is not a multiple of three, making it common practice to lie about your age. The society is ruled by a triumvirate, and most people in a position to delegate have three people under their direct control, no more, no less.

Edit: I feel I need to apologize for all the spelling and grammar errors, I typed this out at 4:00 AM. I'm going through it to root them out, but with the state my brain is in, I will definitely miss some.

Edited by Adamir