References That Only You Understand

We all know the feeling: You're a fan of a niche community or fanbase and struggle to find people that share your interest. Then, you do find them, and you're happy, because people get your references!

(The 17th Shard is like this. We're all Sanderfans here, Cosmerenaughts of the highest order. (At least I hope.) We were sad and lonely because people wouldn't listen to us blab about hunormous fantasy tomes, until we found this little online community.)

So, you're happy, because you've found your people.

But then, you realize: none of the people in this group get any of my references to this other group. Which is sad. 

You seem like you're a part of both worlds, and then part of a new world in the middle; but even if you have people in the worlds on either side, there is no one who's a part of that little double-fandom, caught in the middle of your various interests.

This thread is for you to post memes, jokes, references, and other things that seem like no one else in the world understands except for you. 

This thread is for confusing people. This thread is for getting a peek at what your friends are interested in that they've never talked about before. And, if you're lucky, this is a thread for finding people that might live in that same little world as you, caught between all the others.

I'll start:

Spoiler

All band directors want the Agnian and Kevesi off-seers in their marching bands. They follow directions, are impeccable at marching, and also:

:images.jpg.dd45e7001affb75f53a9a339296dcbdd.jpgdownload.jpg.4c8382c06fa62bd4bb07dc2c08347f65.jpg

Look at those horn angles! Perfect!

Edited by The Bookwyrm

Girls' armor in many fantasy video games: *Doesn't protect the vital bits at all, and/or has metal-on-skin, and/or actively hinders movement*

Me: Just Stab Me Now!

4 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Actually that's so fair

It comes from a YouTuber called Jill Bearup--she wrote a whole book with that title, and it's actually really good!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 12:37 AM, Ookla said:

Girls' armor in many fantasy video games: *Doesn't protect the vital bits at all, and/or has metal-on-skin, and/or actively hinders movement*

Me: Just Stab Me Now!

Best YouTube channel.

Anyway, I've been changing my member title to various references to a video game I'm hyperfixating on right now and nobody gets it. It's not even very obscure!

On 5/11/2024 at 1:17 PM, Through The Living Glass said:

This seems fun. I sure do have things that nobody will understand!

Hide contents

When the roboticists can't figure something out:

image.jpeg.2e217f43e58c640bb75b496b76892e22.jpeg

I guess this also works for Techies lol

*Laughs in FRC*

Edited by NerdyAarakocra
Added an additional response

3 hours ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

I guess you’re right, but I know so many people who have never even heard of that movie.

Normal people, not Sharders. . . 

Literature:

Spoiler

Arthritic Beer

And, because I can't resist, my favorite quote from that source (different book, same series):

Spoiler

Bernard stared at the Senator and rolled his shoulder in a gesture Amara had seen him use when preparing to shoot his war bow. Bernard’s voice suddenly rang out sharp and clear, though still perfectly polite in tone. “Senator. If you call my friend a liar one more time, I will take it badly.”

“Excuse me?” Arnos said, his eyebrows rising up.

“I suggest you find an alternate shortsighted, egomaniacally ridiculous reason to blatantly, recklessly ignore an obvious threat to the Realm; simply because you don’t wish it to exist. If you cannot restrain yourself from base slander, I will be pleased to meet you in Juris Macto and personally rip your forked tongue from your head.”

The muttering in the room stopped, and a bottomless silence fell.

Music:

Spoiler

The Rat Pack

Spoiler

Okay, that one is more obvious - depending on age. . . 

Film:

Spoiler

I had to stop her screaming. . . 

On 5/30/2024 at 11:36 AM, Treamayne said:

Literature:

Hide contents

Arthritic Beer

And, because I can't resist, my favorite quote from that source (different book, same series):

Reveal hidden contents

Bernard stared at the Senator and rolled his shoulder in a gesture Amara had seen him use when preparing to shoot his war bow. Bernard’s voice suddenly rang out sharp and clear, though still perfectly polite in tone. “Senator. If you call my friend a liar one more time, I will take it badly.”

“Excuse me?” Arnos said, his eyebrows rising up.

“I suggest you find an alternate shortsighted, egomaniacally ridiculous reason to blatantly, recklessly ignore an obvious threat to the Realm; simply because you don’t wish it to exist. If you cannot restrain yourself from base slander, I will be pleased to meet you in Juris Macto and personally rip your forked tongue from your head.”

The muttering in the room stopped, and a bottomless silence fell.

Codex Alera! Bernard and Amara are my favorite couple!!!!

2 minutes ago, Ookla said:

Codex Alera! Bernard and Amara are my favorite couple!!!!

But do you recall the reference? (even people who have read the series tend to not remember this one, for some reason) Spoilers:

Spoiler

I love the scene because it encapsulates the Tavi/Max friendship perfectly, in one quick scene. Academ's Fury Ch 18:

Spoiler

Tavi rose at once. "What are we doing?"

"I'm continuing my brilliant performance," Max said. "After we two Pages attend the First Lord in his chambers, at any rate. You are advising me."

"Advising you?"

"Yes. You were the one who had the big thesis paper on furycrafting theory first year, and I'll be speaking to the… Board of someone or other."

"The Board of Speakers of the Crafting Society?" Tavi asked.

Max nodded. "Those guys. They're meeting with the First Lord to get approval for more studies of, uh…" Max squinted up his eyes. "Arthritic Beer, I keep thinking, but those aren't the right words."

Tavi blinked. "Anthropomorphic Theorem?"

Max nodded again, in exactly the same unconcerned way. "That's it. I've got to learn all about it by the time we walk up to the palace, and you're to teach it to me."

<snip>

"Crows," Max swore. He rose and started for the door. "Come on. I've got to be there in a quarter hour."

Tavi folded the envelope and thrust it into his belt pouch. "All right, all right." They left the room and started across the campus toward one of the hidden entries to the Deeps. "What do you need to know?"

"Well," Max said after a few steps. "Um. All of it."

Tavi stared at the larger boy in dismay. "Max, that class is required. Essentials of Furycrafting. You took that class."

"Well, yes."

"In fact, we had it together."

Max nodded, frowning.

<snip>

"Oh, shut up, Max," Tavi growled. "That was a three-month course. How in the crows am I supposed to give you all of that in the next fifteen minutes?"

"Cheerfully and without complaint," Max replied, grinning. "Like a true and resourceful member of the Realm and servant of the Crown."

But, then again, I'm one of the weirdos that has read this series many many times (especially since I found it right around book three, and I like to reread a series before each new installment, so I've read the first three books at least 8 times)