Best Twinborn Powerset for a detective

Stormtide_Leviathan

I was thinking the other day about how scadrial seems like a really good setting for a murder mystery, which got me thinking about a sherlock holmes character and what powers would be fun. I think there's a lot of good options.

In terms of allomancy I could see zinc/brass, tin, or bronze. In terms of feruchemy, Zinc, copper, or tin. Maybe a zinc compounder could be fun, with a brain working a million miles an hour and able to manipulate people into revealing things.

(Also yes, Wax is a detective character but he's very combat focused which isn't really the archetype im going for)

10 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

I was thinking the other day about how scadrial seems like a really good setting for a murder mystery, which got me thinking about a sherlock holmes character and what powers would be fun. I think there's a lot of good options.

In terms of allomancy I could see zinc/brass, tin, or bronze. In terms of feruchemy, Zinc, copper, or tin. Maybe a zinc compounder could be fun, with a brain working a million miles an hour and able to manipulate people into revealing things.

(Also yes, Wax is a detective character but he's very combat focused which isn't really the archetype im going for)

Yes, tap F-zinc and you will become Sherlock.

I would add F-duralumin, tapping connections with people would make them trust you more and be easier to become their friends, thus it would help you extract information from them. It would also allow you to understand languages if you're in a foreign land. Both things are handy and those are only the one we know of - Connection can do a looot.

F-Tin, storing and using specific senses (without the overload that comes from A-Tin enhancing everything at once) to notice details, look for clues, etc. 

If anybody has seen the short-lived series "Alphas," one character there is a decent example of using magnified senses in this manner. . . 

A-Tin combined with F-Copper could make for a potent combination. Being able to take a memory of a crime scene using the full sensory range of a Tineye could reveal pretty incredible details. Auditory enhancement for voice recognition, sense of smell and taste for material identification, comparisons of the crime scene over time, and visual body language cues that can be mentally replayed could be very powerful. The detail that burning Tin lets you see through Mist will let them track a criminal through the Mists which could be very handy.

A Slider Connector Twinborn could probably operate a lot like Wayne. Quick change disguises, get into the personas of other people, make friends with clients and suspects really quickly, or go totally unnoticed if the job called for it. Definitely an undercover detective rather than the one visibly employed by the police.

Because a lot of crimes in Scadrial are likely to involve metal and metalborn, it means the sensory enhancement granted by Allomantic Steel and Iron could be very significant. A pinch of an Allomantic metal powder that drifts out of a metal pouch may be small enough that a Tineye might miss it if they aren't looking for it specifically, but it will stand out to a thorough Lurcher or Coinshot. Being able to visually identify and confirm Aluminum, Metalminds, and Hemalurgic spikes by line width or absence is also a distinctly useful ability. Unless the suspects are masking their Allomantic and Feruchemical resources with Aluminum this is a potentially faster way to identify Metalborn but can totally be setup as misdirection. Granted with ettmetal primer cubes, maybe even the pulses that a Seeker hears could be falsified. We've also seen Allomantic Steel/Iron specific locks embedded underneath the surface of objects which would be very difficult for the wrong powerset to spot.

I guess it depends on what kind of detective character you're going for. Genius mastermind, hard working gumshoe, seemingly bumbling sidekick, different powers promote different character archetypes.

Edited by Duxredux
added thought

11 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

This would never be inspired by a recent Magic the Gathering set...

42 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

F-Tin, storing and using specific senses (without the overload that comes from A-Tin enhancing everything at once) to notice details, look for clues, etc. 

If anybody has seen the short-lived series "Alphas," one character there is a decent example of using magnified senses in this manner. . . 

F-Tin is always useful! In this case, I feel like A-Zinc for getting information out of people and F-zinc for super thinking. This way, you have enhancements at a crime scene, as well as enhancements when going around detectiving. However, I can also see F-copper replacing F-Zinc.

If you want the typical rootin and tootin detective, A-steel and F-Zinc could work for that. I also see a case for A-Iron for pulling out bullets or other metal objects. Either way, steelsight is quite useful for investigating a crime scene, as you can locate every source of metal in the scene, including perhaps a concealed murder weapon.

Frankly, a twinborn detective would be fairly solid as an Alleyverse character...

Edited by Koloss17

First, I'd probably go with A-brass in order to get information and minimize potential conflict. Zinc would also be a solid choice here, especially in compounding. Tin could be useful but I feel that F-tin would be better because it's more focused on specific senses. Pewter, iron, and steel would be useful for a more combat-oriented detective like Wax. Bendalloy and cadmium could probably be interesting, but not as good as some other options.

Then, F-zinc would be the best option for its increased mental capacity. If I were to choose zinc, then I probably should switch my other metal to A-zinc for compounding. However, copper could certainly be helpful. You could use it to memorize clues, information, interrogations, or anything else related to investigating crimes. Duralumin could help make connections quickly, and tin could obviously help with the investigation.

So, I'd go with either a zinc compounder or A-brass and F-copper.

7 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Frankly, a twinborn detective would be fairly solid as an Alleyverse character...

Alleyverse? What's that?

18 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

Most of the good combos have already been mentioned, but I think that F-bonze could prove useful to a detective character that wants to work through several nights in peak condition to catch their suspect.

F-electrum could similarly let one push through their normal limits, but you would still need to sleep eventually. Perhaps it would be better to "stay in the zone" for shorter periods of time though.

F-chromium could lead one to stumble on more clues, or maybe even straight up walk up on the culprit themselves.

Edited by Trusk'our

36 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

Alleyverse? What's that?

Oh, nothing much. Just the Forum RP that I have recently revived that you can play in the roleplaying subforum on the Shard.

To give ya the basic gist, it’s a collaborative storytelling RP that takes place in Alleycity, a place where all of Brandon Sanderson’s books and magic systems interact.

The current plot is about an attempt by Perses, an A-bronze F-Tin Twinborn of the fifth heightening that has recently been spiked with A-Steel and A-Iron to grab a foothold in the city’s underground (as you might guess, that’s one of my characters). He is being assisted by Asylum Smedry, who is superstitious, and is being opposed by an Obligator along with a Bronze compounder, a Forger, and a Kitsen cytonic riding their loyal hyperslug Goto.

I recommend you give it a look! It’s a blast and a lot of fun!

10 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Sounds fun! I haven't read all of the Cytoverse books yet though, so maybe I'll hold off until I don't have to worry about spoiling anything for myself.

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Oh, nothing much. Just the Forum RP that I have recently revived that you can play in the roleplaying subforum on the Shard.

To give ya the basic gist, it’s a collaborative storytelling RP that takes place in Alleycity, a place where all of Brandon Sanderson’s books and magic systems interact.

The current plot is about an attempt by Perses, an A-bronze F-Tin Twinborn of the fifth heightening that has recently been spiked with A-Steel and A-Iron to grab a foothold in the city’s underground (as you might guess, that’s one of my characters). He is being assisted by Asylum Smedry, who is superstitious, and is being opposed by an Obligator along with a Bronze compounder, a Forger, and a Kitsen cytonic riding their loyal hyperslug Goto.

Anything that mashes up systems sounds like a win. Anyone introduced an F-bendalloy Aetherbound? My mind has been fairly obsessed with that combo for a while now... especially if it is decided that the correct investiture fields are in play for Aethers to stick around a bit.  

1 minute ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Anything that mashes up systems sounds like a win. Anyone introduced an F-bendalloy Aetherbound? My mind has been fairly obsessed with that combo for a while now... especially if it is decided that the correct investiture fields are in play for Aethers to stick around a bit.  

Not yet! Come be the first!

I'd lean towards F-TIn and A-Pewter myself for a twinborn detective and just have them be an intelligent person so they can really get the most out of their enhanced senses when they tap Tin

A-Pewter is just... you know detectives are going to need to fight, it's in every detective story basically, even Sherlock fights! Plus balance, enhanced healing, durability, endurance

I've always liked a Zinc compounder for this kind of detective idea, compounding Zinc would give you supercharges sherlock skills and then i also liked A-Zinc as you could use it into manipulating someone into confessing or dropping hints of a hostages whereabouts or even a bomb