Having a Bad Day? Stop here for a Good Rant!

traceria

You only need a receptionist who starved in the building! Now, she wanders the halls, searching for a meal to sate her hunger! But that hunger is now spiritual, and can only be assuaged by the tears of those who wronged her in life!

Run! Run before it is too late!

I'll look for another job.

And maybe scour the net for a good recipe for spiritual pot roast.

Twi, I have one question about your circumstance: When you move, will Mollie and Bruno go with you?

No, sadly. They're family dogs, and it'll be easier on them if they're separated from one person rather than all but one. My parents have talked about getting me a pug as a moving-out gift, though, and if they don't, I'll buy one myself. :ph34r: 

I could write an entire essay on all the fails in that show, beginning with the fact that every post-apocalyptic woman has perfect hair and ending with Charlie. Just…Charlie. 

I don't mind it when adult shows tackle adult topics, either, but they nearly all tackle them in the same way. Everything is so cynicalwith a few exceptions. MLP is far more optimistic, and that's part of what I love about it. 

I don't know. I just don't know. It could be that she and my mom get ready at different times in the morning, so it's rarely an issue—save for on days like today, when everyone needs to be ready by a certain time. 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And what did you think of the mother? I mean, she is supposed to be this super smart woman who earned her PhD and a high ranked job all the while having had two kids by the time she was at the most 25 years old... She does not look remotely old enough to be Charlie's mother...  :blink:

I agree cynicism seems to be in vogue nowadays.

All women should have their own personal hair straightener  -_- Your mother should not simply take yours without asking for permission first, even if she is the one that bought it for you. A gift is a gift.

I'm actually speaking about myself in particular here - I truly just do not have the stamina that I did when I was in my twenties.  I'm not in terrible shape by any means, but I cannot function on a lack of sleep anymore like I used to.  Plus I've got fiddly joints; just chucked out all of my heels because my knees just can't take them anymore.

And, y'know, we've got nieces and nephews.  I have all the makings of a fantastic crazy aunt.  I'm having a tremendous amount of fun with the fact that my brother's stepson is almost exactly like I was when I was a kid.  There is a next generation of geek, and I have the added bonus of getting to give them back when I'm done corrupting them to the dork side.

Then they are lucky nieces and nephews  :lol:

As for myself, I rarely complain of anything on this thread, but I honestly do not know what to do. It is all pertaining this reputation *again* as one of my posts got a flaming red *again*. I took 30 minutes to write it down and I thought it was pretty good. Yet someone thought it worth it to downvote it. Someone disagreed with it SO much he (or she) thought it actually deserved a negative reputation. 

Someone fixed it since, but still... The only negative reputations I have seen in the Stormlight section in the last months were on posts I have made and I am supposed not to feel targeted? None were aggressive or offending... I basically get downvoted for talking about my favorite character. I understand not everyone will share my opinion, but I do not see other posts made by other forumers on their favorite characters get a flaming red.

I know I am not a popular forumer. I know many forumer dislike me, but still.... Why do I feel only MY posts get so much downvoting? 

Earlier today, I felt like deleting all my posts because nobody enjoys them it seems, so why bother?

As for myself, I rarely complain of anything on this thread, but I honestly do not know what to do. It is all pertaining this reputation *again* as one of my posts got a flaming red *again*. I took 30 minutes to write it down and I thought it was pretty good. Yet someone thought it worth it to downvote it. Someone disagreed with it SO much he (or she) thought it actually deserved a negative reputation.

Someone fixed it since, but still... The only negative reputations I have seen in the Stormlight section in the last months were on posts I have made and I am supposed not to feel targeted? None were aggressive or offending... I basically get downvoted for talking about my favorite character. I understand not everyone will share my opinion, but I do not see other posts made by other forumers on their favorite characters get a flaming red.

I know I am not a popular forumer. I know many forumer dislike me, but still.... Why do I feel only MY posts get so much downvoting?

Earlier today, I felt like deleting all my posts because nobody enjoys them it seems, so why bother?

I know that feeling. :( Not on this site so much, but I've left other sites because people overused the downvote option.

Who's your favorite character, by the way? I avoid the Stormlight section because I haven't finished WoR yet, but so far the only character I completely dislike is Sadeas. Not that it would be fair if they were downvoting you for liking him, if that were the case--I'm of the opinion that good points should be commended regardless of agreement--but it just seems odd that people would be targeting posts on one specific character. In the Reckoners section, for example, a defense of Regalia earned a handful of upvotes despite many replies refuting the OP's points.

For what it's worth, just read the posts you just referred to and I quite enjoyed reading them. Haven't thought much about Adolin, but what you had to say made a lot of sense to me. (I guess I've viewed Adolin favorably thus far). If they're representative of the rest of your posts, please, keep them coming!

I enjoy your posts

I know that feeling. :( Not on this site so much, but I've left other sites because people overused the downvote option.

Who's your favorite character, by the way? I avoid the Stormlight section because I haven't finished WoR yet, but so far the only character I completely dislike is Sadeas. Not that it would be fair if they were downvoting you for liking him, if that were the case--I'm of the opinion that good points should be commended regardless of agreement--but it just seems odd that people would be targeting posts on one specific character. In the Reckoners section, for example, a defense of Regalia earned a handful of upvotes despite many replies refuting the OP's points.

I am a die-hard fan of Adolin  :( I dunno why I hook up on him so much, probably because he resembles me much. An unpopular thing to be, it seemed. I keep advocating for him to get more page time and a bigger role in the series. I also avidly defend him and I try to explain his characters to those who may not have understood him or I feel are not getting a complete picture. Other forumers do the same with their favorites and they get a zillion upvotes... I mean, I do not want nor expect upvotes, but a -1... That just hurts....

Hey careful, I haven't read Firefight yet  ;) I dunno who Regalia is yet.

For what it's worth, just read the posts you just referred to and I quite enjoyed reading them. Haven't thought much about Adolin, but what you had to say made a lot of sense to me. (I guess I've viewed Adolin favorably thus far). If they're representative of the rest of your posts, please, keep them coming!

Thanks  :) I must have written a hundred posts on Adolin in the past year... It is my favorite hobby to try to defend him and help them understand him better as a character. I also talk a lot on how much I wished he would get more page time  :ph34r:

I enjoy your posts

Thanks. This is very nice. I feel much better. 

I am a die-hard fan of Adolin  :( I dunno why I hook up on him so much, probably because he resembles me much. An unpopular thing to be, it seemed. I keep advocating for him to get more page time and a bigger role in the series. I also avidly defend him and I try to explain his characters to those who may not have understood him or I feel are not getting a complete picture. Other forumers do the same with their favorites and they get a zillion upvotes... I mean, I do not want nor expect upvotes, but a -1... That just hurts....

Hey careful, I haven't read Firefight yet  ;) I dunno who Regalia is yet.

See, I actually like Adolin. He has his flaws, but he also has some strong points. When Kaladin calls him cocky and privileged, he's right. Adolin is cocky, and he hasn't known a lot of hardship, so far as I can tell. But he's also extremely loyal to those he loves, has so far been willing to put aside his own comfort so he can help his dad, and he really seems to want to help the downtrodden. So far he can be condescending in how he does it—I'm thinking of when he calls Kaladin "Bridgeboy"—but this condescension isn't intentional; it's the attitude of someone who has been raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and the right set of values in his head. He's far from perfect, but he's also far from irredeemable. I like him. 

That didn't tell you anything the back cover summary wouldn't. ;) 

Really? :huh: I'm not exactly the president of Adolin's fan club, but I can't for the life of me see how downvoting someone who likes him could be justified.

Take an upvote from me now, as a sign of support. Don't listen to the storm-leavings that are picking on you. :)

See, I actually like Adolin. He has his flaws, but he also has some strong points. When Kaladin calls him cocky and privileged, he's right. Adolin is cocky, and he hasn't known a lot of hardship, so far as I can tell. But he's also extremely loyal to those he loves, has so far been willing to put aside his own comfort so he can help his dad, and he really seems to want to help the downtrodden. So far he can be condescending in how he does it—I'm thinking of when he calls Kaladin "Bridgeboy"—but this condescension isn't intentional; it's the attitude of someone who has been raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and the right set of values in his head. He's far from perfect, but he's also far from irredeemable. I like him. 

That didn't tell you anything the back cover summary wouldn't. ;)

The problem is Adolin is not the easiest character to visualize for many reasons I will not expand on here. I wrote many many posts trying to explain how he is much more than the entitled, privileged, handsome boy people see at first. Of course he has flaws: all characters do. I am baffled as to why I keep getting downvoted on these posts...

Oh thanks. I should get to it eventually.

Really? :huh: I'm not exactly the president of Adolin's fan club, but I can't for the life of me see how downvoting someone who likes him could be justified.

Take an upvote from me now, as a sign of support. Don't listen to the storm-leavings that are picking on you. :)

You can't be the president of Adolin's fan club because I am  :P I have never seen other posts made by other forumers on their favorite characters being downvoted... 

It must be my writing style... I must come out as aggressive of something... I tend to think I write with passion, but apparently people are not reading what I think they are. Gee, the original post I replied to was awfully rude and condescending towards my person and nobody downvoted it. It is why I hate this system so much... You can say you hate Adolin in a rude way and you are never going to be downvoted for it, but say you dislike Renarin.... and ohhhhhh you will get in the negative within a few minutes. This is so unfair  :( People should not be downvoted for liking or disliking a character... but apparently this is within the forum's rules.

Thanks for your support. I knew you would understand.

You can't be the president of Adolin's fan club because I am  :P I have never seen other posts made by other forumers on their favorite characters being downvoted... 

It must be my writing style... I must come out as aggressive of something... I tend to think I write with passion, but apparently people are not reading what I think they are. Gee, the original post I replied to was awfully rude and condescending towards my person and nobody downvoted it. It is why I hate this system so much... You can say you hate Adolin in a rude way and you are never going to be downvoted for it, but say you dislike Renarin.... and ohhhhhh you will get in the negative within a few minutes. This is so unfair  :( People should not be downvoted for liking or disliking a character... but apparently this is within the forum's rules.

Thanks for your support. I knew you would understand.

Fluttershy_deep_breath_S01E16.png

I DON'T ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT ADOLIN OR RENARIN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

I mean, they're great and all, but they're not my favorite characters and I usually spend their PoVs just waiting for another Dalinar segment. There, I said it. Intolerant downvote-wielders, do your worst. :P

I don't think I've ever seen you come across as particularly aggressive. I mean, I don't always agree with you 100%, but there's no point in interacting with other human beings if you're going to get mad every time you don't align with their viewpoints entirely. Heck, I don't even agree with TwiLyght or Quiver all the time, and we're like forum besties.

I guess what I'm saying is, I fully sympathize with you. This use of downvotes is officially allowed, but I'm not afraid to state that I find their usage inappropriate at best and downright rude at worst. Allowing downvotes based on petty disagreements is opening the door to future abuse once our fan base grows, mark my words.

But again, don't worry about the haters. Just know we're standing with you in understanding solidarity. :)

Edited by Kobold King

I think people who downvote posts defending characters they don't like are kind of missing the point of Stormlight. It's a long, expansive work with an enormous cast, and one of the benefits of that enormous cast is that there's something for everyone (or there should be, I think). People who want a brooding fantasy hero will probably enjoy Kaladin's chapters the most. People who like the honorable knight will probably enjoy Dalinar the most; people who like girls who grow into strong female characters will probably look forward to reading about Shallan. There are plenty of characters to identify with, and no one is going to identify with every character. I like Adolin, but he's not my favorite; Shallan is probably my favorite character, but I know her naivety probably alienated some fans in the first book. 

Basically, I don't think Stormlight is a contest to see which character can gain the most fans, and treating it that way is kind of missing the point. 

Fluttershy_deep_breath_S01E16.png

I DON'T ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT ADOLIN OR RENARIN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

I mean, they're great and all, but they're not my favorite characters and I usually spend their PoVs just waiting for another Dalinar segment. There, I said it. Intolerant downvote-wielders, do your worst. :P

I don't think I've ever seen you come across as particularly aggressive. I mean, I don't always agree with you 100%, but there's no point in interacting with other human beings if you're going to get mad every time you don't align with their viewpoints entirely. Heck, I don't even agree with TwiLyght or Quiver all the time, and we're like forum besties.

I guess what I'm saying is, I fully sympathize with you. This use of downvotes is officially allowed, but I'm not afraid to state that I find their usage inappropriate at best and downright rude at worst. Allowing downvotes based on petty disagreements is opening the door to future abuse once our fan base grows, mark my words.

But again, don't worry about the haters. Just know we're standing with you in understanding solidarity. :)

Congratulations Kobold  :lol: You have managed to be the first person I have come across to earn himself a negative -1 reputation into the "Have a Bad Day" thread....   :wacko: You know, the thread people go to when they want to complain, when they want an advice and when they when support?

I told you saying you did not care about Renarin was dangerous... It must be it (or not): I merely noticed a tendency in the Stormlight section. 

Allow me to fix that. 

Edit: Wow you have earned TWO -1 in this thread!!!  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

As for the downvotes, it can make the conversation sink to a petty school yard fight in the matters of minutes... I once took part in a conversation where friends team-up at 3 or 4 to steadily downvote every single ones of my posts (and upvote every single posts from my interlocutor) because they disagreed. I admit I was tackling a sensitive subject at the time, but still I was not being aggressive nor offending (enough people came afterwards to fix it). My opponents tried to make me say thinks I have not said and when I publicly tried to apologized for obviously being so offensive (even if I couldn't see why): I got downvoted again  :rolleyes: I mean, how can you be downvote for apologizing publicly?

Since then I have decided I would not lower myself to treat others the way I was treated. I would not resolved myself to downvote people unless I really felt the post was aggressive. I did it once, but I also publicly explained to the individual why I was downvoting him.

So when people come forward and state downvotes are only used moderately and wisely, I laugh myself out. Most forumers, yes, will use them wisely, but the fact remains downvotes are being used and not always in a good way. That post of mine did not deserved a downvote. I spent 30 minutes of my life crafting it. Even if someone disagreed with it, he (or she) should have had the decency to admit it was a long well written post and it should thus not be downvoted. When I come across a wall of text I dislike, I simply skip it and I don't comment on it.

I think people who downvote posts defending characters they don't like are kind of missing the point of Stormlight. It's a long, expansive work with an enormous cast, and one of the benefits of that enormous cast is that there's something for everyone (or there should be, I think). People who want a brooding fantasy hero will probably enjoy Kaladin's chapters the most. People who like the honorable knight will probably enjoy Dalinar the most; people who like girls who grow into strong female characters will probably look forward to reading about Shallan. There are plenty of characters to identify with, and no one is going to identify with every character. I like Adolin, but he's not my favorite; Shallan is probably my favorite character, but I know her naivety probably alienated some fans in the first book. 

Basically, I don't think Stormlight is a contest to see which character can gain the most fans, and treating it that way is kind of missing the point. 

I agree. Often some people will have a hard time relating to some characters. I myself have the hardest time with Renarin for instance because he is so far away from my own self, in terms of personality and behavior, emphasizing with him is difficult. I have since learn to give him more space and I have made an effort to try to understand him better, even if it remains hard. 

This is the thing with characters. Sometimes a reader will come forward and won't understand a given character. He (or she) may even come out rude about it, but I do not see it as a valid reason for a downvote. This person needs to be helped understanding the character and even if you won't turn him (or her) into a die-hard fan of your favorite, you may get them to, at the very least, judge your character more fairly. This is what I generally try to do with Adolin, I try to give the reader an more in-depth perspective such as to enable my interlocutor to make himself a more fleshed-out opinion even if the end result is still going to be the same.

One of the reason I dig so much into Adolin is because he basically has the same thinking/behavioral patterns as myself. It is mesmerizing at times. I sometimes feel I am reading myself at the same age when I get his POV. It is baffling. I have never come across another fantasy character that was such a close fit onto my own being. We are not the same person, there are many differences, but it is close enough to have me look twice and wonder if Brandon has not downloaded my brain while I slept  :huh:

I do not think anyone is treating it as a contest, but there are certain posts more prompt to be downvoted. Shallan for example can be roll down into the trash without anyone getting angry even though she has many supporters. They will come forward from time to time, but I have never seen downvotes being issued on her behalf. 

The number of posts I have written on Adolin that got downvoted is puzzling... Either someone is tracking my posts to downvote them each time I broach this subject or either someone truly cannot muster to read something positive about a character that someone apparently hates. Or perhaps it is many someones.

Maxal, I've never found your posts to be aggressive or otherwise negative. Keep it up, please! :)

Thanks  :)

Edit Edit: Another downvote on my Adolin post.... It went from 1 to 0  :( At least, it was not in the negative... I can dig why people would downvotes the posts were I rant against the downvotes, but the big text? REALLY?

Edited by maxal

Much sympathies for the down-votes; I have't ever really spoken to you, so I can't comment on what you are like or your popularity or anything, but...

...Man, I don't know. I wish I knew why downvotes were handed out?

In my case, I can think of maybe three or four downvotes I delivered to people, and all of them were accidents. Even if I vehemently disagree with someone's stance or view, I... don't see the point of annonymously giving them a red buttont? I mean, how passive aggresive can you get?

If I disagree with someone, I'll be ACTIVE-aggresive!

If there's something I disagree with (like a theory, or an opinion or something), I tend to either ignore it, or respond saying that I disagree, and explaining my point of view. I don't do that so much anymore- I need to reread everything to be able to comment properly-  but that... seem's like a more reasonable way to do it? Inspire debate and exchange of ideas? It's like 17th Shard's number one feature!

So... I really don't know why people randomly downvote things. The only time I've ever seen a -number beside one of my posts was for something I absolutely deserved (I basically badmouthed a piece of fiction and called for a forum wide riff on it, which was unprofessional of me, and something I'm still incredibly ashamed of). Upvotes are great as a short hand- I was super thrilled when the first magic system I posted here got upvoted for instance- but downvotes... I feel if you're going to downvote someone, you owe it to them to explain why you're doing it?

So... I dunno. I'm sorry to you, and anyone else, who has had these random, inexplicable down-votes that come without explanation of what you did wrong or what the voter thought was so offensive.

Sorry!

(And seriously, the only reason I don't get downvoted more is because I stay in the Sandermeme section these days. I haven't posted something serious that was genuinely worth upvoting in quite sometime lol) 

Edited by Quiver

Edit Edit: Another downvote on my Adolin post.... It went from 1 to 0  :( At least, it was not in the negative... I can dig why people would downvotes the posts were I rant against the downvotes, but the big text? REALLY?

This is where I wish I could upvote them again... :/

Congratulations Kobold  :lol: You have managed to be the first person I have come across to earn himself a negative -1 reputation into the "Have a Bad Day" thread....   :wacko: You know, the thread people go to when they want to complain, when they want an advice and when they when support?

Wow. Stay classy, 17th Shard. <_< I wouldn't mind for myself so much, since I did say "do your worst" and I could shrug off the downvotes as jokes, but they also went and downvoted TwiLyght. Who was only giving a politely phrased opinion.

I can understand people using the downvote button in different ways, but guys? You just downvoted people who are in the middle of a sympathy thread, talking about how hurtful they find random disagreement votes. That's inexcusable no matter how you look at it, and I am ashamed and appalled to see it on this forum.

If you're not going to say something nice, I'd suggest you rethink your choice of forums, because around these parts we care for the people we disagree with. We're a band of friends here, but if you're going to deliberately hurt our feelings because your views don't line up with ours, then you don't deserve to be one of us.

Now play nice or get outta here.

I find the idea that someone downvoted this post almost funny:

It means someone read that and thought "NO STORMLIGHT IS NOT ABOUT SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE IT IS ABOUT MY FAVORITE CHARACTER SUPERIOR OVER ALL" and gave it a downvote. Presumably while talking like a Cyberman. :P

I find the idea that someone downvoted this post almost funny:

It means someone read that and thought "NO STORMLIGHT IS NOT ABOUT SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE IT IS ABOUT MY FAVORITE CHARACTER SUPERIOR OVER ALL" and gave it a downvote. Presumably while talking like a Cyberman. :P

The terrifying thing is, I'm pretty sure if Feather had her way, we'd all be "upgraded" and the forum would be turned into a Renarin fansite.

Has the thought that there a plenty other people here with almost as strong support for other characters. This leads to having rival cyberman factions upgrading people to their worldview. Then thinks that this would make for an interesting Sanderson Elimination game....

...hold that thought.

Has the thought that there a plenty other people here with almost as strong support for other characters. This leads to having rival cyberman factions upgrading people to their worldview. Then thinks that this would make for an interesting Sanderson Elimination game....

...hold that thought.

That is a  Sanderson Elimination game I would compete in. If only to screw my own team over and ensure Rysn is the winner.