Thematically appropriate Radiant Twinborn Combinations

Hatman

What do you think are some of the best Twinborn combinations for each order thematically? This is not so much about stuff like exploiting loopholes with a chosen four powers or stuff like that, it is more about getting to extra powers that match what the order is meant to be and do. I was thinking that Skybreakers, as lawkeepers, would probably be best with A-bronze (for tracking) and F-copper (for recalling criminals' faces, laws, etc.). Other possibilities I thought of for them are F-duralumin, F-bronze, and A-tin. 

7 minutes ago, Hatman said:

What do you think are some of the best Twinborn combinations for each order thematically? This is not so much about stuff like exploiting loopholes with a chosen four powers or stuff like that, it is more about getting to extra powers that match what the order is meant to be and do. I was thinking that Skybreakers, as lawkeepers, would probably be best with A-bronze (for tracking) and F-copper (for recalling criminals' faces, laws, etc.). Other possibilities I thought of for them are F-duralumin, F-bronze, and A-tin. 

Edgedancer with F-Steel and A-Steel, I guess?

F-Steel helps an Edgedancer move much faster, and then they can compound it to go even faster, which works well with their own abilities which help them move fast. This has actually been brought up to Brandon, and he said it would let them go at pretty insane speeds, although at some point wind resistance would begin to effect them. 

Windrunner with F-Iron would also be pretty good, they can use Conservation of Momentum to change their velocity, and they can also increase their mass as they are cashing down into the ground to become like a meteor. Maybe A-Pewter with it to increase their durability so they can survive the crash even better. But that wouldn't really be needed if they have Shardplate. Duralumin would be helpful if Intent can make one apply it to different Invested Arts, so you can make stronger Lashings with higher acceleration.  

Lightweaver: A-Brass and F-Duralumin. Brass dampens emotions, which goes along with lightweaving and disguises, I guess. F-Duralumin is a farther reach, but being able to store Connection seems useful for a Lightweaver.

Elsecaller: A-Tin or A-Bendalloy and F-Nicrosil or F-Zinc. A-Tin, which increases senses, could be useful for soulcasting, but A-Bendalloy could also make it easier for someone to Elsecall without being missed by the rest of the world. As for Feruchemy, I think F-Nicrosil would come in handy for storing Investiture before entering the Cognitive Realm, so that the Elsecaller has Investiture to use there. F-Zinc would also be helpful since Elsecallers are one of the scholarly orders.

Truthwatcher: A-Electrum and F-Copper. Truthwatchers already are able to see the future, so electrum would only heighten their ability and possibly make it more clear, and since their order is about finding truths, copper could be used to store what they learn.

18 hours ago, Firesong said:

F-Steel helps an Edgedancer move much faster, and then they can compound it to go even faster, which works well with their own abilities which help them move fast. This has actually been brought up to Brandon, and he said it would let them go at pretty insane speeds, although at some point wind resistance would begin to effect them. 

Doesn't Abrasion get rid of that though?

18 hours ago, Firesong said:

Windrunner with F-Iron would also be pretty good, they can use Conservation of Momentum to change their velocity, and they can also increase their mass as they are cashing down into the ground to become like a meteor. Maybe A-Pewter with it to increase their durability so they can survive the crash even better. But that wouldn't really be needed if they have Shardplate. Duralumin would be helpful if Intent can make one apply it to different Invested Arts, so you can make stronger Lashings with higher acceleration.  

How long would a theoretically Duralumin-Flared Lashing last?

17 hours ago, Aismeen said:

Lightweaver: A-Brass and F-Duralumin. Brass dampens emotions, which goes along with lightweaving and disguises, I guess. F-Duralumin is a farther reach, but being able to store Connection seems useful for a Lightweaver.

F-Duralumin would be extremely useful for Lightweavers, they require a measure of Connection to create Lightweavings.

Elsecaller: A-Tin or A-Bendalloy and F-Nicrosil or F-Zinc. A-Tin, which increases senses, could be useful for soulcasting, but A-Bendalloy could also make it easier for someone to Elsecall without being missed by the rest of the world. As for Feruchemy, I think F-Nicrosil would come in handy for storing Investiture before entering the Cognitive Realm, so that the Elsecaller has Investiture to use there. F-Zinc would also be helpful since Elsecallers are one of the scholarly orders.

F-Chromium could also probably help with Soulcasting.

Truthwatcher: A-Electrum and F-Copper. Truthwatchers already are able to see the future, so electrum would only heighten their ability and possibly make it more clear, and since their order is about finding truths, copper could be used to store what they learn.

Only Truthwatchers who've bonded Corrupted Mistspren are able to see the future, not ordinary ones. The Corrupted version is almost definitely Voidbinding and not Surgebinding to see the future. For that variant, A-Electrum could maybe help by letting them glimpse into the Spiritual Realm, and F-Chromium would also help with that, so I'd say that for them F-Chromium is better than F-Copper. But for the regular variant, F-Copper fits well, and for Allomancy maybe Gold because they seem like introspective types, or perhaps Bendalloy to help them study and research more efficiently.

For Dustbringers, maybe A-Duralumin and F-Brass? Using Duralumin to hyper-Flare Brassminds, if it's possible, could create some catastrophic effects, which would be fitting for Dustbringers.

2 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Yes.

2 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

How long would a theoretically Duralumin-Flared Lashing last?

Split second. But I guess in that time you could accelerate to ridiculous speeds (but not in the atmosphere, friction would kill them). However G-forces affect Windrunners, so they would be killed.

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

Yes.

Split second. But I guess in that time you could accelerate to ridiculous speeds (but not in the atmosphere, friction would kill them). However G-forces affect Windrunners, so they would be killed.

I remember Brandon saying it doesn't completely remove limits. 

But looking more, he did say it can remove that limit, yeah.

Steeldancer

So if a steel compounder became an Edgedancer... 

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, here we go. [Audience laughs]

Steeldancer

If a steel compounder became an Edgedancer, how fast could they go?

Brandon Sanderson

[Dramatic sigh] They could go quite fast. They are not going to ever reach superhero levels of bending reality for speed. So, I will say quick, but not that quick. We aren't outracing an atom bomb, as the Flash periodically does. 

Steeldancer

So if a steel compounder became an Edgedancer... 

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, here we go. [Audience laughs]

Steeldancer

If a steel compounder became an Edgedancer, how fast could they go?

Brandon Sanderson

[Dramatic sigh] They could go quite fast. They are not going to ever reach superhero levels of bending reality for speed. So, I will say quick, but not that quick. We aren't outracing an atom bomb, as the Flash periodically does. 

So, yeah, it would remove that issue. But they would still have a lot of limits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Most people seem to be approaching this in terms of interesting, creative, or useful ways of combining powers, but that is not what I meant. For example, for a Windrunner, I am talking about things good for protecting, not necessarily things that go well with adhesion and gravitation. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2023 at 11:34 AM, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Not nearly as much as you'd think. There are two main components to drag (1) friction between the air and the object and (2) pushing the air out of the way.

For a human shaped object, number 2 is almost always bigger than number 1.

You'd see an appreciable drop in wind resistance if you were moving in the face forward, superman flying type pose, but if you were in an upright running position getting rid of friction would only drop wind resistance by about 10%.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, Hatman said:

Most people seem to be approaching this in terms of interesting, creative, or useful ways of combining powers, but that is not what I meant. For example, for a Windrunner, I am talking about things good for protecting, not necessarily things that go well with adhesion and gravitation. 

Windrunners protect by fighting. They fight by using their powers. The same is true for the Stonewards and Skybreakers for their respective ideals.

If we look at the other orders

• Bondsmiths - emotional allomancy
  • Edgedancers - feruchemical copper
  • Truthwatchers - allomantic gold + feruchemical zinc
  • Dustbringers - allomantic pewter + feruchemical electrum
  • Elsecallers - allomantic pewter + feruchemical zinc
  • Lightweaver - allomantic gold
  • Willshapers - not emotional allomancy

• 1 month later...

All Knight Radiant orders get a twinborn ability that I think fits their associated Essence and Divine Attributes. 

Windrunners- Sapphire: Protecting/Leading 
F-Electrum
A-Pewter
Skyreakers- Smokestone: Just/Confident 
F-Duralumin
A-Bronze
Dustbringers- Ruby: Brave/Obedient 
F-Steel
A-Iron
Edgedancers- Diamond: Loving/Healing 
F-Gold
A-Brass
Truthwatchers- Emerald: Learned/Giving 
F-Copper
A-Electrum
Lightweavers- Garnet: Creative/Honest 
F-Aluminum
A-Gold
Elsecallers- Zircon: Wise/Carful 
F-Zinc
A-Bendalloy
Willshapers- Amethyst: Resolute/Builder
F-Pewter
A-Pewter
Stonewards- Topaz: Dependable/Resourceful 
F-Bronze
A-Copper
Bondsmiths- Heliodor: Pious/Guiding
F-Nicrosil
A-Gold

There are a couple orders that I was stumped on for quite a bit (dustbringers) but for the most part I feel good about them.

Edited by CoatRackHoid

On 8/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, Underwater_Worldhopper said:
On 8/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, Firesong said:

Abrasion would get rid of the friction from wind resistance, but eventually you would be going so fast that the air wouldn't be able to get out of the way fast enough, and you would be slowed down by pushing through the sheer mass of compressed air in front of you. (at least I think that's how it works; I'm not a physicist.)

I feel like A-pewter shouldn't be ignored for edgedancers. They are described as being graceful and I remember Vin feeling the same on pewter.  

This isn't just thematically based but it would also benefit an edge dancer so well also with the increased proprioception and balance. 

I don't know how I could fit this thematically with it but I would love to see a twinborn A pewter / F iron on either of the abrasion orders. 

If they really skate around the balance and conservation of momentum could do a ton. I think the synergy of the two would quite possibly make the most maneuverable non flyer in the cosmere. Dancing and skating around manipulating weight to make their trajectory nearly impossible to  estimate.  But how do you make the pewter / iron twinborn thematic outside of both powers being used and described as allowing their users to be nimble and graceful?