Bot/Spam Hunters

10 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

How does one report a bot? Not that I have found one yet but just in case 

In the top right corner of their post, there  are three dots. If you click on those, it will give you the option to report the post, along with an optional reason for why you reported it (you can just write "Spambot" or something similar). From there, the mods can make a full investigation and ban the account.

9 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

How does one report a bot? Not that I have found one yet but just in case 

Basically hit report on one of the spambot 's posts and write spambot in the "reason" text box

If the bot has no posts, you can post an SU on their profile and report that.

Only report each bot once.

Found one in Entertainment Discussion.

Elimination Count: 2

It's funny to me how poorly their tactics are working. There were barely any views in any of the posts. One must wonder why they try...

It wasn't even a "buy from me" post. There is no point to doing this! 

It does feel satisfying to take them down, though. 

what constitues a bot. i have found 2 people who have never posted anything and haven't been online since a few hours(or minutes) since they where created. the more "recent" one hasn't been online since November 22 2023. just want to know before i report someone for the first time.

1 hour ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

what constitues a bot. i have found 2 people who have never posted anything and haven't been online since a few hours(or minutes) since they where created. the more "recent" one hasn't been online since November 22 2023. just want to know before i report someone for the first time.

Check the about me and other information stuff

Even if they're not a bot, they're an account that isn't being used and it takes up space online.

I don't know what the mods opinion is on this, but I would report if the account isn't new and hasn't been used since it was created for the following reasons.

• In all likelyhood, it is a bot
  • If it is not a bot, it is unused and, as mentioned, using up storage that has to be paid for
    • I don't know what sort of storage plan the shard uses, nor whether removing a few accounts will make it cheaper, but that's why the mod's decide whether to delete an account, because they do know
  • If it does get deleted and it ends up being a real person, well, since in this case they have no posts, it's not like anything has really been lost, and they can create a new account with the same name easily enough.

Now, if a mod were to say not to report accounts that meet this criterion but seem somewhat like a genuine account, then put in the effort to look at their about me, but otherwise, I'd assume the mods are gonna ban them no matter what.

We don't ban accounts that have no signs of being bots. If there's no advertisement in their profile, we leave them be. We might reach a point where we have too many accounts and have to start deleting unused ones or ones only made for Aether of Night (there're a lot of those), but I don't think we're there yet. I don't know how much they add to hosting costs right now, though. 

On 2/7/2024 at 7:02 AM, RoyalBeeMage said:

Timing, on the other hand, doesn't matter - if they've got spam in their about me or website links, then even if they haven't been online since they created the account, it's still spam and can still be reported. 

I just woke up, checked my phone, and was hit by 167 notifications. Such is the price of following "Cosmere Discussion," "Introduce Yourself," and "General Brandon Discussion". Still, getting to report three bots in as many minutes was very satisfying!

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, LightRinger said:

I’m like the only one up rn, but two guys really want to get us into voodoo and change our flights. @AonEne or other mods, how do I report them?

You aren't, congratulations! If you're on mobile, there are three dots on every post's corner, if you press on them it offers you to report. Otherwise, the little flag icon in the corner of a post is the reporting button - just press on it, write in the text box that it's a spambot or something and send.

they just keep coming and they don't stop coming, something something what's the rest of the song

Yeah, if there are posts reporting one of those is best. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 8:01 AM, AonEne said:

they just keep coming and they don't stop coming, something something what's the rest of the song

The bots start coming and they don’t stop coming. They’re breaking the rules tryna take our money. Started reporting spammers for fun, they make me feel smart cause they act so dumb. 

At least I think that’s how it goes…

Hey, question. I found a bot that allegedly has 0 posts (according to it’s profile) but it has at least 6 in the Forum Games tab.

Also should I report all of the posts by a different bot or just one?
(I figure reporting 51 messages won’t do much good other than to annoy the mods, but if it actually helps rather than hurts, let me know)