The Sibling’s siblings

theSurgeOfPhysics

May have been discussed before, but why is the Sibling called the Sibling? Why not the Child? I feel that this is hinting that Honor and Cultivation created more than one spren together. Perhaps they made 10 children, all siblings of each other, and 9 of them fell to Odium as the Unmade. 

Sja-Anat calls the Sibling her cousin. She also says Odium can unmake spren:

… and unmade them to lose their minds and memories…

RoW, Interlude 2

She mentions that their memories are lost, and we saw the Sibling slowly losing control in the chapters after all nodes were destroyed. 

Will there be a way to remake an Unmade, as Book 5 will deal with BAM? 

13 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I wonder if "Sibling" is used to avoid revealing their true name to humans.

9 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Or just concealing the true nature of The Sibling outside the ranks of the Radiant Orders.

Or to confuse the readers so they didn't know that the last Bondsmith spren is Urithiru itself! 

• 1 month later...

The name of the Sibling seriously does feel like its just to add mystery and confusion, to make it harder to guess the truth.

5 hours ago, Argenti said:

All Rosharians presumably view themselves as Cultivation and Honor's children. "The Sibling" is from our point of view, not the shards.

This is not an idea I've heard before and I really like it! Don't know if I agree, but I like it a lot

2 hours ago, Wandering Shade said:

This is not an idea I've heard before and I really like it! Don't know if I agree, but I like it a lot

Thanks! I pretty much just realized it in this discussion, and it's an idea that's worth thinking about.

Keep in mind, we don't know the in world origin of the name. An easily justifiable in world origin could be that The Stormfather and Nightwatcher were viewed as the children of Honor and Cultivation respectively rather than both, then when Honor and Cultivation created The Sibling, they each called it Sibling  and it just could have stuck. It would be far from the most ridiculous reason something got stuck with a ridiculous name

On 2/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, cometaryorbit said:

I wonder if "Sibling" is used to avoid revealing their true name to humans.

I've wondered that too.  I feel like StormFather and NightWatcher are more titles than actual names, and I bet the Sibling has a name that it hasn't revealed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 3:04 PM, Letryx13 said:

I've wondered that too.  I feel like StormFather and NightWatcher are more titles than actual names, and I bet the Sibling has a name that it hasn't revealed.

They are called "The Stormfather" and "The Nightwatcher," which sounds a whole bunch like titles rather than names. But they are also Spren, who are sentient pieces of investiture given shape; they might not have names, or their true names might be unknowable to mortal ears.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:23 AM, Argenti said:

But they are also Spren, who are sentient pieces of investiture given shape; they might not have names, or their true names might be unknowable to mortal ears.

I haven't seen any sapient spren who did not have a name.  So it would be out of character for then to not have names.  Stormfather answers to Dalinar when he curses... I really think they are their names.  Even if the name "Sibling" could leave more to be desired. :/

On 7.05.2023 at 5:23 PM, Argenti said:

They are called "The Stormfather" and "The Nightwatcher," which sounds a whole bunch like titles rather than names. But they are also Spren, who are sentient pieces of investiture given shape; they might not have names, or their true names might be unknowable to mortal ears.

Cryptics are named with numbers and patterns, why can't Bondsmith spren be named with titles?