On 12/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

Avi watched as the Denkthen screeched in pain, desparatley trying to throw Il'anque off.

Stars, she thought. A drop from this height...the crystal riddled mountain would not be something good to go tumbling down.

Avi cursed as the Denkthen's thrashing destroyed part of her leverage. She scrambled for a handhold, scraping her left forearm in the process. Avi winced in pain as warm blood ran down her arm.

Worry about it later.

She scrambled onto a ledge where she managed to stand, then called another constellation of glittering "stars". She waited until the Denkthen fell into a brief lapse in it's rampage, then fired.

The shimmering projectiles barely missed Il'anque, but speared the Denkthen through the torso.

@Frustration

The Denkthen's crystal body cracked. It was wounded, yes. But it could still put up a fight. It launched some of its spines at Avi in retaliation, then struck at Il'anque with a vicious claw. Il'anque took a glancing blow, and drove her other scimitar in the cracked spot.

I'm leaving this open for Frustration to contribute to the fight.

@Frustration

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

Isek swung his arm, a long arching, powerful overhand swing. A chain sprouted from his hand, extending outward as.it moved. Whips weren't overly useful weapons, but when you could control where a whip landed, and give it force, minor uses of magic that had become second nature to him, they became deadly weapons.

The chain slammed against the creature's upper legs, breaking them off with a crack.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Not yet. We... we gotta..." Kaeni was totally hyperventilating, a hand on metal arm guy's stab wound. "Think. We gotta think."

She turned to... Ran'at. His name was Ran'at. Think. Think. Was that tail venomous? Was there anything she could do about it if it was? How deep was the wound? How much was he bleeding?

"Ra... Ran. Um - you..." She squeezed her eyes shut to focus. "Gods, I'm sorry. This is gonna hurt."

Kaeni set her other hand ablaze.

@PyroPhile

It took everything she had not to squeeze her eyes shut as she pressed her blazing hand against the wounds, searing them closed effectively. The bleeding stopped with the hole charred to a black lump, already blistering around the edges. The blood that remained was still wet, and with the bruises and raw red skin around it his wound looked so repugnant that it was hard not to cough up her insides and spit them over her shoulder.

The whole ordeal was awful. It sent her skin crawling and stomach roiling.

But the wound was now closed.

"You're okay?" Kaeni panted.

@PyroPhile

“Take your time first. I dunno how long it takes for that to settle. You could open it up again.”

Kaeni then stood back up, leaning against  a rock and puffing heavily. The glengal was fending off Mercury and E;la in a deadly impasse, trying to pry out the dagger with its pincers to no avail. Even with its divided attention the monster was holding its own, and neither of her companions had seemingly dealt any damage at all.

Their other companion… I’ikeq, was it? They were crouched behind a rock, hiding away. Probably a smart move. Maybe at this point they could just run for it…

No. Not that. Not leaving Mercury behind. She had to fight and she knew it, but… gods, the quivering in her bones. She couldn’t seem to keep her jaw still, and both legs threatened to buckle and fall.

She’d slowed down; fallen away from the battle. To fight back right away against a sudden attacker was one thing, but to push towards an enemy of her own volition…

“Come on, Kaeni, be brave,” she whispered, “Be brave… be strong…”

@Szeth_Pancakes @PyroPhile

E;la dodged around the glengal, trying to pin it against a rocky wall and flank it. She ignored everything outside this fight, her soulsense focusing only on the tiny circle where she and Mercury danced with the monster. Mercury's soul felt more crackly than normal. If she could just get the glengal to slip up and turn its injured side toward Mercury...

She drew her knife, then tried to dash closer. The glengal slipped backward, just out of her reach, nearly to the wall. So close... She stepped back a bit, dodged the glengal's swipe at her, and widened her soulsense for a moment, noticing a fiery soul behind her. "A little help, Kaeni?"

Here's a thing that I thought of but can't really say because when I'm fighting I react, I don't think: Do we really have to still fight the glengal? It seems like it's trying to fend us off more than kill us at this point, so maybe if we retreated it would stop fighting? Maybe? I don't know enough about how glengals act to say.

Kaeni stared.

Move, you coward!

Flame enveloped her, spreading all across her body in a blazing aura. It filled her heart with a burning fury, running through her veins and turning her eyes to a hot orange. The flame condensed around her hands and feet, flowing from her chest outwards.

With her soul ablaze, Kaeni darted towards the glengal and joined the fight.

It’s still hungry. The knife is more like a splinter than a wound to it.

@Szeth_Pancakes @Tani @The Wandering Wizard

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

On 12/24/2022 at 10:44 PM, Frustration said:

Isek swung his arm, a long arching, powerful overhand swing. A chain sprouted from his hand, extending outward as.it moved. Whips weren't overly useful weapons, but when you could control where a whip landed, and give it force, minor uses of magic that had become second nature to him, they became deadly weapons.

The chain slammed against the creature's upper legs, breaking them off with a crack.

As Isek's chain slammed into the Denkthen, Il'anque jumped off and landed gracefully on Isek's platform. She raised her sword in salute, and brought it down to end the monster.

You fought well, thought Il'anque in farewell.

@The Bookwyrm

2 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

As Isek's chain slammed into the Denkthen, Il'anque jumped off and landed gracefully on Isek's platform. She raised her sword in salute, and brought it down to end the monster.

You fought well, thought Il'anque in farewell.

@The Bookwyrm

Avi watched as the corpse of the Denkthen tumbled down the cliffside, it's strange carapace shattering as it went. Then she turned and managed to climb up to the platform where Il'anque and Isek stood.

"Nice work," she said. "Not far till the third layer."

The jagged cut on her arm flared with pain and she winced. Stars, that hurts. She pulled a bandage from her pack and went to wrap it.

@Frustration

12 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Avi watched as the corpse of the Denkthen tumbled down the cliffside, it's strange carapace shattering as it went. Then she turned and managed to climb up to the platform where Il'anque and Isek stood.

"Nice work," she said. "Not far till the third layer."

The jagged cut on her arm flared with pain and she winced. Stars, that hurts. She pulled a bandage from her pack and went to wrap it.

@Frustration

Il'anque rushed over to where Avi was wrapping her wound.

"Here, I can get that for you." she said.

Il'anque reached into the currents of power around her and redirected a little. She gave it a purpose: Heal.

The cut on Avi's arm closed.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:06 AM, NerdyAarakocra said:

Il'anque rushed over to where Avi was wrapping her wound.

"Here, I can get that for you." she said.

Il'anque reached into the currents of power around her and redirected a little. She gave it a purpose: Heal.

The cut on Avi's arm closed.

Avi blinked as she stared at her healed arm.

Oh.

She had met up with Il'anque in the first place because she knew the acolyte was a healer. Avi wasn't sure how that had slipped her mind.

"Thanks," she said. "Sorry about that...I've never been healed with magic before." She turned her head upwards.

"Just one short climb, and we'll be at the last ledge before the climb of the Third Layer. Let's get there and take a break before we head on the last stretch."

@Frustration

On 12/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Kaeni stared.

Move, you coward!

Flame enveloped her, spreading all across her body in a blazing aura. It filled her heart with a burning fury, running through her veins and turning her eyes to a hot orange. The flame condensed around her hands and feet, flowing from her chest outwards.

With her soul ablaze, Kaeni darted towards the glengal and joined the fight.

@Szeth_Pancakes @Tani @The Wandering Wizard

Yes! Finally! E;la darted in again, closer, to the point where the glengal couldn't get out of her reach without going through the wall, and she shoved her sword, coated in soul magic, between two of its plates.

Edited by Tani

Nothing save that dagger had so much as scratched the glengal so far, and as it stood they probably didn’t have a single attack capable of changing that - at least, not any they were willing to unleash yet. With enough power Kaeni probably could roast that thing from the inside out, but concentrated flame like that would undoubtedly knock her out for hours afterwards. Maybe Mercury would try to carry her up, but…

No, that wasn’t the solution here. This creature had a weak point, and they were going to exploit it. Even with it well aware of their strategy, it wouldn’t be able to hold out forever against three assailaints. All they needed was a single mistake; just one second of an opening. Mercury’s full-body technique made her faster and more reflexive than any natural creature—with a split-second opening, she could hit it.

So Kaeni charged at the glengal, the fear in her heart burned away by determination. She cut a path forwards with a slash of flame vaporizing the creature’s foaming spit, then vaulted with a kick of fire over its pincer and to its back. Dashing across the exoskeleton, the blade poking out just to her right, E;la pushing for it to move, Mercury darting about for an opening to the other side…

We can get it from above! Kaeni realized. It’s not fast enough to

The tail was suddenly rocketing towards her, in an instant just an inch from her chest.

Sh—

Kaeni slipped, the exoskeleton sliding about from underneath her. For an instant her footing was gone, and for an instant she was weightless. The glengal had moved—

Mercury was trying to find another way around, it seemed. It had moved out from under her, and the stinger changed trajectory, if only by a little.

M-move…

Where’s your hand? Block it—

I don’t…

I don’t want to die…

The stinger snapped at just above her sternum. Before she knew it Kaeni was flying backwards, and just instants after cracked into a vein of crystal. It shattered on impact,

breaking her momentum and littering the ground she fell onto. All the air in her lungs crashed away, leaving her choked and covered in glowing amber blood.

The pain came in moments after, forcing her eyes shut and muscles taught. There wasn’t any breath to scream or cry. Stabs all across the back of her arms and neck, the cold crackling of broken bones, the awful agony of where that glengal had hit her…

But it occurred to her that she was still alive.

It’s possible. Kaeni thought through each stab of pain. We can defeat it. From above. If Mercury can get above, there’s a split second to hit it…

They could still win

@The Wandering Wizard @PyroPhile @Szeth_Pancakes @Tani

On 12/30/2022 at 10:59 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

Avi blinked as she stared at her healed arm.

Oh.

She had met up with Il'anque in the first place because she knew the acolyte was a healer. Avi wasn't sure how that had slipped her mind.

"Thanks," she said. "Sorry about that...I've never been healed with magic before." She turned her head upwards.

"Just one short climb, and we'll be at the last ledge before the climb of the Third Layer. Let's get there and take a break before we head on the last stretch."

@Frustration

Il'anque sat down and brought out some of the food that she had packed.

"If we survive tonight, what's the first thing that you're going to do when you get your Scythe?"

@Frustration

1 hour ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Il'anque sat down and brought out some of the food that she had packed.

"If we survive tonight, what's the first thing that you're going to do when you get your Scythe?"

@Frustration

Avi blinked. She hadn't thought about right after.

"I just assumed I'd be running the assignments given by our superiors," Avi said. "I...have long term goals. But I assumed it'd be years before I reached them..."

Edited by The Bookwyrm
Oh, whoops, that was 1,000. Ah well.

On 1/1/2023 at 1:06 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

Avi blinked. She hadn't thought about right after.

"I just assumed I'd be running the assignments given by our superiors," Avi said. "I...have long term goals. But I assumed it'd be years before I reached them..."

"Really? What sort of goals?"

2 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

"Really? What sort of goals?"

"...That's a secret I'd like to keep. For now."

Trust wasn't something Avi was accustomed to. Not since the destruction of her home.

But strangely, amongst the legions of Death themself, she was slowly growing more comfortable with the idea...

She gazed at the stars, which were still visible even in this phantom realm. Light from her distant homeworld filtered through the dimensions and into her eyes. Another planet in the system. Still distant, but reachable....

She remembered standing at the threshold of the portal. The grassy landscape around her was swathed in the shadow of night. Despite this, Avi could clearly see. The reflected light of Ter'amavi, the gas giant which her homeworld orbited, shone across the night-cloaked land, bringing light from it's swirling blue clouds. Her homeworld, Lev'amavi, was the largest moon of Ter'amavi, the largest planet in the Figeri Collective.

A stone circle stood in front of her, towering over the land. It was tall, and swirled with a shimmering blue light. It pulled at her with an indescribable sensation.

Only one step, and she would be on another world. 

She was reluctant to leave. Even after she watched her city burn to the ground. Even after she was rescued by the Reapers, and even after she had watched them ferry the souls of her family to a new life. A better life.

"I don't want to leave," she said.

The man standing beside her smiled and put a hand on her shoulder. He wore a black cloak, but a red tunic of a strange fabric with a silver medallion embedded in the chest. He wore an intricately forged scythe strapped to his back, shaped like flowing flames.

"Avi," Kaelim said, "Why don't you want to leave?"

His kind blue eyes held a sadness. He wished that none of it could have happened. But it had. The wrath of a God was not something easily stopped, even by the agents of one of the most powerful Gods of them all.

"I..." Avi fell silent. "I don't know."

Kaelim crouched down in front of her and looked her in the eyes. He had a young face, but his eyes seemed old. Far too old for a normal human.

His life was long. As long as Avi's would be, considering her heritage...

"It's hard to leave behind what we've known, even if we know that it has nothing left for us," Kaelim said. "I know. I've felt it.

"But if you leave, you gain knowledge, power, experience. You'll gain the ability to help others, and perhaps, cleanse this world for those that would come after your ancestors."

"But how?"

"That is for you to decide. But there is always a place for you in Death's Reapers, when you're older. When you're ready."

Avi pondered on this. And slowly she realized...

Kaelim was right.

There was nothing for her here.

Tears began to roll down her cheeks. Kaelim drew her into a hug, and Avi began to sob. She was just a child. Far too young to have to suffer what she had.

But it had happened regardless.

Kaelim gave her all the time she needed. Once her tears were dry, he took her hand, and led her through the portal.

Ast'Avi left her homeworld. But she would return.

Avi pulled herself out of the memory.

Not now. Worry about it later.

She stood up and dusted herself off.

"We should get moving," she said. "One last stretch towards the Peak."

@Frustration

@Channelknight Fadran

If I'm disrupting anything you had in mind for the world in that flashback, let me know.

She had missed, the glengal shifting so her strike missed the space between plates. However, her soulsense, spread so she could see the entire fight, allowed her to witness Kaeni's attack and learn how to defeat the glengal. "Mercury!" she yelled, "Get it from above!"

At the noise, the glengal's tail arced toward her, barb aimed straight for her chest. She stumbled backwards a few steps, then tripped on a rock and fell backwards, her head hitting the ground not quite hard enough to daze her. I should have practiced my falls more! The glengal's aim shifted as she moved, and she rolled to the side as it was about to hit her.

It missed her chest, but hit her arm. Her sword arm. She cried out as fire shot through her arm, down to her fingertips and up into her chest.

6 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Il'anque looked at Avi and took a bite of some fruit. "Was that a flashback? That felt like you were having a flashback. I don't get those very often. How was it?"

Avi stared at Il'anque.

"How did you..." She paused. "Nevermind. It wasn't a flashback, exactly."

Her star-speckled eyes took on a distant look.

"Just...deep memories."

Edited by The Bookwyrm