The 17th Shard’s Tenth Anniversary: Your Favorite Memories

AonEne

Today marks the ten-year anniversary of the 17th Shard! I don’t want to steal the news post’s thunder, so I won’t go into how awesome this place is or how much work the incredible mod team puts into it, so just know that it’s a lot for both of those. 

The point of this thread is for you to share your favorite times on the Shard. That conversation that went even more off the rails with every post. That theory that Brandon confirmed in the next book. That time a friend gave you a compliment and it made your day. That thread or PM that was filled with the most quality writing/theorizing/debating/pure nonsense. That piece of writing or art that you absolutely toiled over that was then loved by everyone else, or vice versa. Anything! 

Here are a few questions for anyone who wants something to build off of, but feel free to reminisce together and remind each other of stuff! The whole point is for good times that happened here to be shared, regardless of what they are. 

1. What’s your favorite thread, PM, etc. you’ve participated in? Why? 
  2. What conversation made you die of laughter? 
  3. What time did someone here make you feel really happy? 
  4. What’s one of the posts that made you reread it in awe? 
  5. What moment of your own are you super proud of? 
  6. What time on the Shard might you want to relive for a day? 

You can answer these with multiple things, no need to limit yourself! Nor do you need to stick to only them - again, this is only a guide and you’re not required to do anything. It’s all up to you. 

Happy anniversary to you all! :lol: 

• Mestiv pinned, unpinned and featured this topic

I don't write much on the forum any more, but couple of years ago I was pretty active in the social part of the page :) I have never participated in theorizing, but I was always impressed by how friendly the sharders are I just liked hanging around in here :D

So, to go with your suggested topic:

Well, hard to tell, there was a lot :) I will firmly remember the Random Threads from the general social forum and What happened in Oregon roleplay. Those were the good times :D Now I mainly hang out in Discord, which is a silly place on its own ;)
  2. What conversation made you die of laughter? 
    Some random chatters in the Question threads that accompanied the Oregon RP for sure.
  3. What time did someone here make you feel really happy? 
    I always appreciate how in the Bad Day and Good Day threads people were supporting each other and happy for each other respectively :)
  4. What’s one of the posts that made you reread it in awe? 
    Definitely some RP posts from Oregon RP were of such quality that I reread them... but in general I'm not really used to rereading stuff :)
  5. What moment of your own are you super proud of? 
    Definitely the Arcanum announcement and release - I have heard so many kind words then ^^
  6. What time on the Shard might you want to relive for a day? 
    All the times around new book releases, those are the fun parts when there's lots of going on, there's lots of activity! Luckily, we are going to get a lot of those in the future ;)

1 hour ago, AonEne said:

I have not been here for ten years, but it may as well have been. I feel as though you all are friends that I never knew that I had. Almost 3 years of awesomeness has gotten me through a lot. I am so much better off now than I ever was before because of all of you. As for the question there are so many the last post wins has to take the prize though. The silliness brightens even hard days. Here is to 10 more wonderful years!!

Edited by Nathrangking

Well, this year marks only my second year on the Shard, but I feel as though I now know so many people, and have had so many wonderful experiences that I am so grateful to all of you for. This is really the only fan community that I'm in that I'm an active participant in, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

1. My favorite thread that I've participated in has got to be The Knights Next Door. So many re-readable moments, and fond memories, even the ones that are only fond with hindsight (remember when it took us like 3 weeks to RP a shopping trip? That was an experience.) I've thoroughly enjoyed writing James, and working with all the rest of the talented writers on that RP, and I'm sure James would say the same in regards to their characters ;).

2. There are so many conversations where I've died laughing it's honestly hard to count. I think specifically, The Cosmere Roast Battle Thread has got some of the funniest stuff on the Shard. There was also that one time that someone took a comment that I made and turned it into a meme. That was great.

3. Honestly, every time I interact with @AonEne, I leave the conversation feeling much better than when I started. She's always there trying to be a force for good, and I really appreciate that about her.

4. Once again, I think the entire dream battle sequence in TKND is some of my best writing there. It's about the time James really blossomed as a character, and I could finally start taking him down the path I was beginning to see for him.

5.Honestly, this is gonna sound odd, but my favorite moment of my own making on the Shard, was the time they finally got to my WTCC entry, and it was a lot of fun watching the Shardcast where they read it out.

6. Honestly, there is very little time on the Shard I wouldn't want to relive, but I don't think it's best to dwell, on that. I prefer to think about how we're still moving forward, continuing on, and growing still.

My favorite part about this community is how well-cited all the theories and discussions are in terms of books and WoBs. It's a rare thing around the internet (I've been a part of many fandoms where tribal knowledge and word of mouth were the only ways to keep abreast of the latest news and tidbits.) And it hasn't even always been this way on the Shard; the time in between the ending of the Wheel of Time and the unveiling of wob.coppermind.net were (relatively) dark times, between Theoryland and Arcanum. There were quite a bit of Reddit WoBs that weren't formally collected anywhere for the longest time, and the phrase "I know there's a WoB that says X, I just can't find it" was entirely too common for my liking. Of all my activity in the fandom, I'm most proud of my contributions to making that particular phrase anathema on the Shard. 

(You may have noticed that was my 1000th post special, and I'm getting awfully close to 2000 posts. I've got something neat planned for that, too, but I've got too much work left on it, so that's why I'm laying low these days.)

1) The Last Post Wins: The thread that made me stay. (I don't mean like, to win the last post, I mean the people who're usually active there). I also have a special fondness for The Nightwatcher thread.

I'm in PM groups who never fail to cheer me up either!

2) the memes, of course. Some funny AMA responses too and almost every other Forum Games thread. Special mention to the goat thread.

3) I was being tag-teamed, someone I had previously argued against was the first to defend me (and they didn't think much of it either). I've gotten dog-piled multiple times, it's always nice to have someone come to your defence (special thanks to you three, you know who you are and if you don't there's PMs waiting for you!)

4) Old theory mega post by Argent about the whole situation on Roshar. Literally whole situation. And it still holds up. True Art.

5) I've said politically contentious stuff. Looking back, I'm proud of every stance I've taken, and the ones I wasn't proud of I've already apologized for. (if this makes you pause and want to say something, please DM me rather than derailing this thread)

6) I'm more of moving forward kind of person. If I had a time machine I'd redo/re-experience far more than just my time here (not trivializing my time here, but people who are physically there will always come first!)

Edited by R J

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

You beat me to this, Ene! 

*laughs evilly* 

2 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Honestly, every time I interact with @AonEne, I leave the conversation feeling much better than when I started. She's always there trying to be a force for good, and I really appreciate that about her.

Thank you, Wyn! That means a lot to me. 

My favorite memories are usually when I’m just talking with people. I love writing, I live for it, but the causal conversations that can go anywhere - those are the best. 

My favourite part of the shard/ the fandom are the people. I met so many incredible individuals here that brighten my day. I have daily contact with a handful of them on discord, despite hours of time difference between us and I look forward to however many messages we manage. Last year I even flew to the US to visit one of them and we plan to meet again next year.

Some might know, some don't, but I'm more of a shy and quiet person. I still proof read every post thrice. It took a lot of work (and time) convincing myself to create the account, but I am incredibly glad I did. I didn't expect to find friends here, but somehow I did.

Regarding my favourite section - well I'm mostly active in the role playing part of the forum and pretty comfortable there. I love to create stories together with others, and it's also nice to be more of a player for once and to focus on my own character, rather than being gamemaster.

1. This status update today! We were really talkative which I really approve. Oh and really like also TLPW!

2. I’m not really expressive person and I wasn’t long on the shard, so actually there wasn’t this situation. Edit: Wait there was one: I was hardly laughing in the share your pet photo, where Truthless of Shinovar gave his vacuum as a pet:lol:

3. Salad Ene and Luna ( The first time when autocorrect changed me something into Ene!) Today.

4. Ene’s introduce yourself (I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU WON YOUR 1 DAY HERE!!!)

5. Every time when somebody tellls me that he like My cosmere art:D

6.Here I’m not sure what it’s about:ph34r:

Edited by Emi

17 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Some might know, some don't, but I'm more of a shy and quiet person. I still proof read every post thrice. It took a lot of work (and time) convincing myself to create the account, but I am incredibly glad I did. I didn't expect to find friends here, but somehow I did.

I mean, I probably don't act like someone who's a socially anxious introvert online, we're all full of surprises^_^

Mmm.

The highlights of the few years I was active here (joined end of 2015, has been active on Discord mostly lately) are surely forming the Hive (yo, @Calderis, @Extesian, come here); when I trolled the whole forum on behalf of Brandon - I was interviewing him when he came to Poland and when I asked about recording the signing line next day for the Shard he told me to "go tell them he told us how Stormlight ends". Good times.

I have that one super upvoted meme of "Explaining Cosmere to casual readers" buried deep in the meme thread. Kinda proud of it.

When Pagerunner was running that "Collected Reddit WoBs" thread, I made my

that served the purpose of helping people find WoBs. Now it's, fortunately, obsolete thanks to Arcanum.

Arcanum. I feel proud to have helped fill it with WoBs, even if I haven't done even remotely as much as some other Arcanists.

I coined the term Mistpoint and have even seen it used once or twice :lol: I have tried to make a list of possible combined Shards; I made the thread for interactions of various powers in Cosmere and thought of Feruchemical steel and Surge of Abrasion before Steelrunner did (not sure what's his alias now) :ph34r:

I had one big theory that got enough buzz for someone (I think it was Chaos, not sure) ask Brandon about it like a week later and Brandon himself shot it down.

Creation Daily holds my first ideas that are now cornerstones for my worldbuilding endeavors.

But most importantly the Shard itself; people here first showed me how deep the rabbit hole goes. My life would have been different, maybe worse, if I haven't went off the deep end into Cosmere. A butterfly effect...

Ten years old... that’s really crazy, considering that’s longer than half my life. Anyways, HUGE shoutout to all the mods and admins who work so hard to keep this place good! Thank you guys so much for all that you do, you guys ought to feel very proud that your forum has made it ten years!

What’s your favorite thread, PM, etc. you’ve participated in? Why? 

Probably TLT. That place is so absolutely, wonderfully crazy, and there have been multiple times that I’ve had to stifle laugher in public places.

What conversation made you die of laughter? 
None come to mind specifically at the moment, but there are thousands of gems scattered over the forums that I’ll read and just chuckle a little.

What time did someone here make you feel really happy? 

Whenever I’ve shared my pencil sketches here, I always get such positive feedback, and it makes me feel good. Thank you guys for that!

What’s one of the posts that made you reread it in awe? 

Some of those theories... man, they can really just blow your mind. Those, or some incredible RP posts. (Especially in the Alleyverse)

What moment of your own are you super proud of? 

My 1000th post. Over thirty upvotes for some memes I poured my heart and soul into...

What time on the Shard might you want to relive for a day? 

Around winter or so last year, maybe early spring or something... those were good times:D

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

The Longest Thread will always have a warm place in my heart. I started posting there back in the double-digits and now it's passed 1000! Amazing how things grow...

However, I think, like a lot of people have said, the people here have got to be my favorite part of the Shard. I can't even begin to count the number of times a conversation in a TUBA PM caused me to metaphorically die of laughter. Or the miscellaneous RP posts that left me in awe and genuinely confused as to how I ended up deserving enough to write with them. And then, there have been those days lacking any spark at all, turned around by a kind word that had no idea of its impact. You all are wonderful. ^_^ (And I reserve my right to only succumb to using "y'all" on rare occasions.)

A moment I'm proud of? I'm proud of the me of two years ago. Creating this account was an act very much out of character. The me of two years ago had to be prodded to get even a two word response. Jumping into a realm requiring communication to survive...that's absurd. I still find it weird to consider. Yet, that's what happened. And here I still am--granted, quieter than most Sharders, but louder than before.

With everything going on in the world at the moment, I haven't exactly been active here recently, but that definitely doesn't mean I'm gone. I love this place, and the fantastic community it's built. It is, and always will be my internet haven. 

Digging into the deep lore as heavily as I did after becoming active and my constant back and forth with @Extesian during that period will always be a fond memory, as well as wrestling with the tangled mess that was theoryland (bless you Arcanum). 

The OB prerelease and the intense and rapid fire theory mess that it was. 

And then, of course... 

@Oversleep and @Extesian.

Long live the Hive.

I miss you all. Happy anniversary to the best place I know. 

I haven’t even been here for a year, but this community is one that I love being a part of. The forum game threads are just bundles of explosive randomness and they never fail to make me smile.

Honestly, the reason I’ve stayed around for this long is because of the people here. This is probably an unpopular opinion on the Shard, but Brandon’s not actually my favourite author. I like his books, don’t get me wrong, and he was my favourite author at one point, but I’ve lost some interest in his work. (This is hard for me to explain because I still plan to keep up with the cosmere, and of course I’m going to read RoW when it comes out, but I’m not as invested as I used to be, if that makes sense.) 

I joined the Shard on a whim, and probably would’ve gotten bored and left if I didn’t stumble across the Forum Games section. I found TLPW and stayed there for a while, before moving to the rest of the threads. 

Also special thanks to @R J for inviting me to Take A Deep Breath in my intro thread, because even though it died and it was only for a short while, I had so much fun RPing.

This is random but when I found the Shard for the first time, there was this massive (friendly) argument about toilet paper going on. I got spoiled by some Mistborn threads and decided I wouldn’t return until I had caught up with the cosmere, but the memory of that thread resurfaces from time to time.

Edited by The Awakened Salad

So I am really new here, I don't exactly have a long history of interactions to pull from, but here goes. I really do love this place, I find myself absently reading articles on Coppermind or wild theories here on the forum more and more. Even if I don't say anything, I'm on the Discord server every day. I have never been a part of a community like this before and it is such an awesome feeling to be able to interact with the people who are just as passionate about the Cosmere as I am. I'll be here to stay, for sure. 

I'd like to give a specific shout out to @R J on the forums - whether it's in my own threads or others, your comments never fail to bring something new to the table for me. Your positivity is infectious. 

And another to @asmodeus, mainly on the Discord. As you well know, you're the reason I created an account here in the first place! Thanks man! :D

Happy Anniversary everyone. 

On 6/4/2020 at 5:40 AM, AonEne said:
  • What’s your favorite thread, PM, etc. you’ve participated in? Why? 
  • What conversation made you die of laughter? 
  • What time did someone here make you feel really happy? 
  • What’s one of the posts that made you reread it in awe? 
  • What moment of your own are you super proud of? 
  • What time on the Shard might you want to relive for a day? 

1. My favorite thread has to be The Longest Thread. Easily. Sure, the idea of it sounds like it’s setting up for spamming, but some great humor, creativity, and a wonderful micro-community have made it one of my favorite things to participate in. Going back 600 pages or so to read stuff is a great time.

2. Hmm, I’m not sure I have anything that made me die of laughter, but if anyone’s gonna give me a good laugh whenever he’s around, it’s @Archer. Great man. ;)

3. I’m gonna echo what @Wyndlerunner said. @AonEne was one of the first friends I had on the Shard, and she’s probably the reason I’m still here today. Her kindness—along with that of the very welcoming Alleyverse community—really made me feel like I belonged here. Thank you for that, Ene, and like Wyn said, you really are a force for good.

4. Again, I don’t really have a specific answer, but a lot of well-crafted theories and RP posts have really impressed me with both the quality and dedication.

5. I wasn’t the only one—not by a long shot—but I’m very proud of what we’ve created with the Longest Thread, plot, randomness and all.

6. The early days of the Longest Thread would be such a party to relive.

Finally, thank you to all the admins, mods, and members that make the Shard such a great place. This fandom is really something special.

15 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I’m gonna echo what @Wyndlerunner said. @AonEne was one of the first friends I had on the Shard, and she’s probably the reason I’m still here today. Her kindness—along with that of the very welcoming Alleyverse community—really made me feel like I belonged here. Thank you for that, Ene, and like Wyn said, you really are a force for good. 

Thank you so much. 

It’s been a few days, but I hope I’m not too late. :P

Honestly, some of my best memories revolve around the forum games section. I know it’s been said several times already, but it really is the people that makes it so awesome. When I first joined, I was really worried about what people would think about me, but everyone was so welcoming! 

I’m terrible at keeping up with things, and I probably wouldn’t still be on the shard if it weren’t for all of the great people here. I do love the shard, but it’s because I want to be friends with all of the people here that I stay.

I’d say my favorite experience was our little RP battle about twilight, @AonEne. It was probably a walk in the park for you, but that was my first actual RPing ever! I really had a blast :D.

Edited by Rosharan A.C.
Posted before I was actually finished

My favorite thread... I’ve really had some great times on TLT. I love that place for the sheer amount of randomness it inspires.

I didn’t participate in it because it was before my time here, but I loved when I went back to read through TLT and found the gem of them singing together somewhere between 100 and 400. (I think the song was Seagulls, Stop it Now!) I vividly remember that I had just finished my first science final and I needed a break before studying for the next one. I had to shut my computer so I wouldn’t burst out laughing. It was great.

I'm almost always happy here. It's such a positive place. @Lunamor has always been one of the people I love the most on here. She's always been a friend to me and she's super funny. @AonEne is also a fantastic and supportive person.

I’ve only been here for about a year and a half, but it feels like so much longer. This place is a refuge to me and many others.
Here's to 10 more years!:lol: