Introducing The Stormlight Archive to My Wife, or: A Hilarious Series of Names

Goatbringer

28 minutes ago, Aminar said:

Shallan's struggles are real struggles people have. I work with those people. I help those people. Not many people are out there waging war. That's a far less human problem and it distances people from its effects. War may be dark, but domestic violence is a much bigger and closer to home problem for most of the planet. 

Perhaps that might be more relatable, however in terms of being dark Dalinar at the rift is far beyond anything Shallan has.

Beating your helpless family is not. That said, Dalinar's arc in Oathbringer is also fantastic. But they take trauma from very different angles and that's important because trauma hits everyone different.

And Shallan's misses it's mark for me and many others.

As for Kaladin's arc... Sorry but no. Kaladin is whiny, petulent, and bigoted through most of that book. He's being an idiot. Him realizing that and finally being a good person is a relief, not epic. And Shallan leads him straight to those realizations in the chasm. 

In terms of relatability as you like it so much 1 in 4 people have depression, so Kaladin is very much not whinny and I'm tired of hearing that, have you any idea what it is like to wonder if ceasing to exsist might be preferable to what you see in the future? Because I can(note I never considered suicide, but I did wonder if nonexistence might be better than even the best future I saw.)

As to bigotry I'm tired of that accusation as well, at the time every lighteyed that Kal had known had betrayed him in some fashion, was a slave bigoted for thinking all whites where awful? No, no one thinks that. In modern times that would be different as we have internet and more movement of people to give evidence to the contrary, but back then no. 

Being an idiot? From what? He made the parshendi armor, got the knobweed sap and made bridge 4 the best bridgecrew in the whole army. What did he do that was stupid?

Shallan in the chasms was one of the worst parts of the book. Kaladin saving Elhokar had nothing to do with her,so stop saying it. It was the right thing to do and he knew that, and yes it was epic.

Edited by Frustration

48 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Perhaps that might be more relatable, however in terms of being dark Dalinar at the rift is far beyond anything Shallan has.

I don't really want to get too deep into this discussion so I'm just gonna be brief, but Dalinar's is different because of what he has done, not what has been done to him. Shallan being a victim of abuse affects her in a different way than what Dalinar's experience has. 

54 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Shallan in the chasms was one of the worst parts of the book.

I honestly don't think it was. It showed a lot of growth for her try and reconcile with the fact that Pattern was/is an important part of who she is, along with Kaladin realizing that not every lighteyes is a horrible person and that they feel pain too. 

Friendly reminder that all opinions are valid. There is no singular “this was awesome, and this sucked”. 

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Kaladin is very much not whinny and I'm tired of hearing that 

As to bigotry I'm tired of that accusation as well, at the time every lighteyed that Kal had known had betrayed him in some fashion, was a slave bigoted for thinking all whites where awful? No, no one thinks that. 

You can be both whiny and depressed at the same time. Goodness knows I’ve managed it before. 

And...yeah, I do think that? That is a bigoted view, if Google’s not wrong about the definition of that word. It’s a completely understandable one and I don’t begrudge them it, I’d probably think the same in that position, but the view itself is intolerant by definition. I’m on their side, but that doesn’t change what bigotry is. In the same way, it makes sense why Kaladin had the opinion he does, but that doesn’t make it not bigoted, or not wrong. 

Edited by AonEne
Has to had

So I actually recommend you read all the interludes as basically short stories(that is kind of what they are).  Additionally read Edgedancer(you have not told her the plot and it is not nearly as much of a commitment).  My favorite scenes that have not been mentioned.

Kaladin and Adolin becoming friends after getting out of prision.

All of Hoid.

I am a stick!

Recruiting the deserters

Tyn and Shallan's scenes(am I the only one that sees the two of them as a thing?  Tyn is defo Shallan's type).

Skim at least a few of Kaladin's struggles and then read his how he decides to help Elhokar.

Honestly though maybe just tell her what the chapter is about and then either summarize it for her or read it depending on what she wants?  Coppermind has descriptions for all of them.

Edited by Karger

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Shallan in the chasms was one of the worst parts of the book. Kaladin saving Elhokar had nothing to do with her,so stop saying it. It was the right thing to do and he knew that, and yes it was epic.

what? shallan and kaladin in the chasm was one of my favourite parts. great character interactions. the two of them were so sweet, and i loved seeing them getting past their blocks and opening up.

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Kaladin and Adolin becoming friends after getting out of prision.

All of Hoid.

I am a stick!

Recruiting the deserters

Tyn and Shallan's scenes(am I the only one that sees the two of them as a thing?  Tyn is defo Shallan's type).

Skim at least a few of Kaladin's struggles and then read his how he decides to help Elhokar.

These are fantastic suggestions - I completely forgot to mention 'I am a stick' to her, so if she misses that she's missing a whole genre of cremposting. It would be like if I skipped over 'no mating'. What was I thinking? 

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Honestly though maybe just tell her what the chapter is about and then either summarize it for her or read it depending on what she wants?  Coppermind has descriptions for all of them.

I think this is probably the way I'm going with book 2. She's definitely interested in reading a bunch of scenes now that she knows how crazy action-packed it is. I'll probably read the summaries and let her know what basically happens in the chapter and see if she's into it.  

On 5/14/2020 at 6:15 AM, Goatbringer said:

What about you guys? What are your ‘can’t miss scenes’ from Words of Radiance?

I agree with what many others have said - here are some that weren't listed when I started reading this thread:

• Shallan's date with Adolin where she asks him about his shardplate (you know the part).
  • The story of Moash's grandparents, that explains why he hates Elhokar; this also tells how Dalinar sent Roshone to Hearthstone, "where he couldn't do any more harm"
  • The interlude with Rysn, since her story is important later on. I also think she'll enjoy hearing about that "island" where people have different ideas about modesty. ;-)
  • Explain to her how Dalinar puts Amaram in charge of the KRs, then read the part right before the army heads off and he takes that position away from Amaram - especially where Dalinar tells Kaladin "Not you, son." That was a real moment, for me - and since Tay hates Amaram, I think what happens will resonate with her.
  • Kaladin swearing the 3rd oath, where Syl's voice is heard "He is Mine - I claim him!" and "Kaladin stretch forth thy hand!"

And - I am really looking forward to Tay meeting Lift!!!

Edited by old aggie
typos

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goatbringer said:

Morning all, 

As most of you probably did, I took the Knights Radiant Quiz on Brandon's website this morning and I coerced Tay into doing the same.

Much to her delight, I ended up as a Lightweaver and she landed on Windrunner - exactly as she predicted all those weeks ago when she said she was Kaladin and I was Shallan. 

*sigh*

Well if it makes you feel better, my two highest percentages were Lightweaver followed by Windrunner, so now I'm just like... "Guess I'm both?"

@Goatbringer - That is too funny! Once she meets Lift, though, I bet she'll want to change to Edgedancer. :-)

My KR Order, per the quiz, surprised me: Edgedancer, followed closely by Windrunner and Bondsmith. I really would have expected Bondsmith to come out on top, but there you have it.

I wonder what my score would have been if I'd taken the quiz before reading any of the Stormlight Archives books - like, maybe knowing the characters and a bit about the Orders influenced my answers. I guess I'll never know.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:08 AM, Iarwainiel said:

I wonder what my score would have been if I'd taken the quiz before reading any of the Stormlight Archives books

I actually made my family take one of the many quizzes for the KR Order, and it was surprisingly pretty accurate to how they act. I got Skybreaker, Dad: Bondsmith, Mom: Stoneward, Younger Brother: Willshaper. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, Goatbringer said:

Hello fellow mind-readers, just wanted to let you know that Tay and I have started book 2 as of last night. 

Shadesmar is henceforth to be known as The Spooky-Spook. 

Finally an update!

thanks for this.

This thread is amazing I'm only sorry that I did not see it sooner! @Goatbringer you should have your wife write the official guide to the stormlight archive and have Brandon approve it. This is gold! From there you move on to the rest of the cosmere o the possibilities!!

Edited by Nathrangking

Attention all who are following this thread:

Due to the fact that getting through the second book is going to be a matter of months, my wife (in all her benevolence) would like to throw out there a kind of semi-AMA for her predictions on the Stormlight books that have been released so far. You guys want to know what she thinks will happen? Go ahead and ask whatever you want! 

And yes, I did describe the second book to her - but when pressed about what she remembers of it, she said "Shallan does something with magic portal rocks?" which is pretty spot-on for the ending, but I think it lacks some finer detail work. So go ahead and ask away!