What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Went on a cruise and didn’t want to haul ROW so I brought a couple smaller books to read. Finished Cold Hearted and it was an interesting look at Lady Tremaine, Cinderella’s stepmother, and what would drive a woman to become a wicked stepmother. It did introduce some timeline issues with previous books since the Beast’s book mentioned Cinderella marrying the prince as a recent event before the curse happened but here his story is done by the time Tremaine marries Cinderella’s father.

The other book I started was Fool Moon but I didn’t finish that. I’ll get back to it after finishing ROW which I’m almost done with. This is taking longer than normal for me but it mostly had to do with the Kaladin chapters being very depressing to read and me having gone through that stuff at the same time. Also the war stuff was a pain to read.

All the Dune talk recently made me want to reread that.  I've Read Dune 2 or 3 times before, and Dune Messiah and Children of Dune once each, I think and nothing after that.  so this time I decided to t least get through the  Frank Herbert books.  finished God Emperor yesterday and started on Heretics today.

I'm reading Crossroads of Twilight. It's definitely slow, but I'm enjoying it so far. I also just finished Misery by Stephen King. I've never read any of his books, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up loving Misery. 

Also, a few weeks ago I read Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, and it's greatIt's basically a sci-fi novel about time travel, pandemics, and the Middle Ages. I recommend it (especially right now because it's about diseases and takes place during December).

Well, there might be people who have never heard of the Silmarillion. It's nice to list the author just in case.

A bunch of newspaper comics online. Frazz, Stone Soup, Phoebe and her Unicorn, Pearls before Swine, Calvin and Hobbes.

Edited by Robin Hatter

• 3 weeks later...

Read all of Lord of the Rings, Cytonic, and the first four Left Behind: The Kids novellas.  Left Behind I thought would be right up my alley, since I was that kid who read Revelation repeatedly when I sat in church with my parents and didn't understand the sermon.  I like the concept, but so far the execution... it's okay.  There's still thirty six more of these, so room to improve, for sure.

@Ookla the Theoretical Yay, another person who has read the Grishaverse! And the Lunar Chronicles! And Heartless!!

I've been reading too many books at once...

Forest Born, book 4 of the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale

- Oatburger Oathbringer

The Clockmaker's Daughter by [I forgot]

- And a few more that I need to start... But I should probably finish the ones I've already started.

Finished a reread of Phyllis Ann Karr's Idylls of the Queen, which is a retelling of an episode in Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur featuring a poisoned apple, but Karr does it pretty creatively by giving us Sir Kay as the POV character in a detective duo with Sir Mordred trying to figure out whodunnit.

Moving on to The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison - it is quite different from the first book (Goblin Emperor) but I'm liking it as it looks like another murder mystery starring Celehar instead.

On 1/7/2022 at 7:13 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

Read the second set of Left Behind: The Kids.  I think it's gotten a little better, and the events are decently handled, but there's a lot of telling, and not showing.  I'm waiting until the really funky stuff starts happening to decide how much I'm actually enjoying it.

Okay, I've started getting to the 'funky stuff', (collection three) and my initial thoughts stand.  I did remember that this is technically a tie-in series, and the main series might be better, so maybe after this one, I'll read that.  

Also read Terciel and Elinor, by Garth Nix.  It was good, but I don't have much inclination to read Sabriel.

Plan to start The Pillars of the Earth in the next couple of days.  That one might be a bit of a hit-or-miss.