The Way of Kings Typos list:

mycoltbug

Probably already found and fixed, but just in case ...

Chapter 46: paperback p806: "free of his captives" should maybe be "free of his captors"

also in kindle p649 location 11832

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello. I was at Brandon's signing in Leeds yesterday and he pointed me in the direction of this site when I mentioned all the errors in the kindle version of Way of Kings. He also told me specific person/ email address I could send corrections to, but what with me being nervous and idiotically not thinking to write it down, I completely forgot it. *sigh* Anyone know what it might have been? Or who I should contact instead?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

osted Today, 02:10 PM

On page 657 of The Way of Kings Kindle Version, It reads "No," Kaladin said. "We not going to treat him like the lighteyes treat us..."

Should it not read "We're not going to treat him like the lighteyes treat us."?

During the chasmfiend hunt, Sadeas Plate is described as glowing red. I'm pretty sure that modern Shardplates don't glow.

Below them, the Cobalt Guard and some of Elhokar’s attendants rode up, including Sadeas. His Plate gleamed red, though he wasn’t a full Shardbearer—he had only the Plate, not the Blade.

• 1 month later...

This might just be in the audiobook but the Ars Arcanum has a discrepency separate from the one we have charted. (Separate from the other typo already listed in the Coppermind article about the Ten Essences. Technically not a "typo" as it's spoken aloud, but I wanted to list it in case an audiobook listener was confused. I compared the audiobook to the Coppermind and to my own physical copies of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

It lists Palah as number 2 where Nan should be, but lists all of Nan's attributes properly.

It lists Kak as number 4 where Vev should be but lists all of Vev's attributes properly.

It puts Nan at 5 where Palah should be but gives all of Ishi's Gemstone/essence/body focuses. It then lists the corrected attributes for Nan/slot 5.

It lists Vev as number 8 where Kak should be but lists Kak's attributes properly. 

It lists Ishi properly at number 10 but has Palah's Gemstone/essence/body focuses. 

Names were swapped between 4 and 8 but the other info is correct.

However, 2 5 and 10 are quite more heavily affected.

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Kaladin Myrskysiunattu said:

Not really a typo, but at the beginning of the book, when Szeth summons his Blade, it says 

Szeth's Blade is an Honorblade, so he shouldn't have to wait 10 heartbeats since he's not reviving a dead spren. 

It's not a typo, nor is it wrong. Source

macros

Based on what we know currently about the ten heartbeats, why does Szeth require ten heartbeats to bring forth his Honorblade?

Brandon Sanderson

Perception is a very important part of how these things all work, and remember, the Honorblades work differently from everything else. Everything was based upon them. Why don’t you read and find out what’s going on there, but remember, the characters’ perception is very important.

macros

So then that’s why at one point Shallan requires ten heartbeats and now she doesn’t.

Brandon Sanderson

Right, just like—it’s the exact same reason why Kaladin’s forehead wounds don’t heal, because he views himself as need—as having those, somewhere deep inside of him, and that can’t heal until that goes away. And it’s the same reason why in Warbreaker, when you bring something to life your intention, rather than really what you say, is what matters. It’s all about perception.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

TWOK, Prologue, page 11, paragraph 6, line 3, word 5: 

immediately stopped pulling him downward Instead he was pulled toward

(emphasis mine) There is no period/full-stop here

TWOK, Part 3, Chapter 47: Stormblessings, page 748, paragraph 8, line 2, word 1:

offhis helm, dark hair and beard slicked with sweat. 

(emphasis mine) There is no space between "off" and "his"

My copy of The Way of Kings is the Gollancz 2015 edition, 4th printing. 

• 2 weeks later...

He stood up, meaning to gather some men to carry Moash and Teft toward the far side of the plateau,

Sanderson, Brandon. The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 903). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Moash wasn't injured in this run, Skar was.

• 4 weeks later...

Last one: there's a lot of this one. When quoting dialogue, the second pair of quotation marks is often the wrong way around. May be an artefact of the ebook, but it is there.

Look at the spanreed conversation between Jasnah and Dalinar, eg location 8342.

" 'I must go now,' " Jasnah said via Danlan.

and

" 'I should like promise a date when I will come.' " Dalinar could... 

The last " in each line is oriented incorrectly in the Tor-downloaded ebook. Subtle, but it's there, and I don't think it's isolated to this conversation. Perhaps search all instances. Or maybe this is not a problem.

I'll finally mention that there was a bad line-break that I wasn't able to relocate. It was in the first half of the book, I think, when I didn't think to mark it. It looked like it probably happened where there was a page break in the document as it was being edited, so it didn't get spotted - because it looked fine like that. iirc, it was smack-bang in the middle of a line of text. A grammar checker would probably locate it. Again, may be an artefact of the ebook only. 

• 4 weeks later...

Re reading WoK again and noticed this.   In ch 44 The Weeping when Roshone exits the carriage 

"Roshone had gained more weight, and his lighteyes's suit had been retailored to fit his increased girth. He wore a wooden peg on his right stump, hidden by the cuff of his trouser, and his gait was stiff as he climbed out of the carriage and ducked beneath the canopy, grumbling." 

but in ch 41 we see that it is Rillir that has a crushed leg, Roshone has a whitespine tusk in his leg but it is removed along with the bone splinters then stitched up.

Don't think i'm missing anything but i'm pretty sure Roshone never had his leg amputated.  It only mentions that Rillir had a tourniquet on his leg and that full amputation would come later.

Not sure if anyone had noticed this before, i searched around a bit and didn't see any reference to it.

Just came across this and I'm sorry if this was already mentioned or it's just a misunderstanding of mine.

Chapter 66 - Page 903 Hardback American Version

After Skar and Teft are treated by Kaladin this passage reads:

He stood up, meaning to gather some men to carry Moash and Teft toward the far side of the plateau, just in case the battle went poorly and they had to retreat.

Can some one else please confirm this? The injured man should be Skar instead of Moash right?

Edit: @LURKSPREN has confirmed this already!

2nd Edit: @The One Who Connects Thank you for pointing that out.

Edited by Luck Spren