[Spoilers?] New Elantris Maps

Chaos

The new Elantris maps are here, guys, as revealed in Brandon's blog post today.

sycla_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg

Oh, Nazh.

Also: Rose Barbarians. This map also explains why the Syclans don't go further south; there's a giant desert!

elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg

Well this one is just a bit on the nose. It's awesome, though.

arelon_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg

Maybe this is the Coppermind editor in me coming out, but ahhhh the plantations are all on the map. Don't judge me.

Also, jeez, Elantris is way near the mountains. Obviously it needs to be, but it's still strange to see on the map.

What do you think? I am a little rushed, as I need to pick up Joe and Kalyna from the airport about now. Let me know!

Nazh, master of sass. 

Also, the Elantris map makes it so much clearer than the city is a giant Aon Rao. 

Also, Rose Barbarians? As in, the Rose Empire?

Also, lake Alonoe looks suspicious... 

Edited by Argent

Okay, so based on where the chasm is shown, would the extra line have been outside the city to the south, or inside the city walls? When I read Elantris (all 3-4 times), I pictured it outside the city wall, but I can't quite tell if that's true.

jW

Okay, so based on where the chasm is shown, would the extra line have been outside the city to the south, or inside the city walls? When I read Elantris (all 3-4 times), I pictured it outside the city wall, but I can't quite tell if that's true.

jW

The Chasm line in Elantris has been fixed in this version. That stuff is the main continuity error that needed to be fixed.

Argent, I would assume so.

Also, new capital names! Yay!

He was abandoned on Sel, so that presumably means Nazh cannot Worldhop? 

A fair assumption. Alternatively, it could just be prohibitively difficult to do so, or his lack of ability to worldhop is temporary.

He was abandoned on Sel, so that presumably means Nazh cannot Worldhop? 

If he can't Worldhop, then imagine the logistical nightmare he must go through on any given planet to gather the information he requires. Especially to make maps. He must have some way of traveling around a planet quickly, no? Unless someone who can Worldhop is teamed up with him always (which seems very inefficient), as would then better explain...

Stormlight Archive Spoiler

how he entered Shadesmar to get all of the documents from the bottom of the ocean after Shallan sunk the ship.  

Edited by Titan Arum

It was my impression as well that Kae was much smaller. Then again, this map's scaling could be a blatant lie meant to inflate the importance of Kae in its own right after the Reod, as the text in the bottom-rigth is doing.

Then again again, Aon Rao looks to show the central shape and the surrounding circles as being about the same size.

I wonder how much of the text is going to change? Will descriptions of Kae be adjusted to reflect the new, more-accurate reality?

Mistborn Spoilers

Am I the only person considering going through the two copies side-by-side, seeking out Ruin's influence?

Agh!! Accidental downvote on Mailliw! :( [guilty voice] undo it please . . . [/guilty voice]

Is any one getting de ja vu on how much the sea of Fjorden looks like the Mediterranean?

Edit: wait a second, there are two provinces in Arelon named Eon . . . :huh:

Edited by The Honor Spren

Ha, poor Nazh is looking more and more like the Cosmere errand boy buttmonkey. I bet Khriss sends him out to do get really stupid stuff for her all the time.

Nazh: Croissants!?

Khriss: Yup, from Roshar.

Nazh: But Scandrial is the one with croissants, Roshar hasn't gotten that far yet

Khriss: Well, just go there and wait till there tech gets to that level.

Nazh: But..

Khriss: No buts! This is important. It's for the security of the Cosmere, Odium rising, the God Beyond and all that jazz. Now go!

(Throws a screaming Nazh into Shadesmar)

Edited by Slater

Guys, check out the border on the world map. Those are clearly bones with symbols on them. Dakhor anyone?

The symbols on the bones seem to most represent that large mountain range which FJORDEN is written within. Most of the symbols make use of somewhere between 2-4 iterations of the mountain range as well.

That being said, the symbols also feature lines within the "mountain range" iterations, so perhaps I'm just seeing a connection where there isn't (intentionally) one.

Edit: Though it is possible that there are important geological landmarks within that range that have been edited out of the map, considering that the map shows nothing but the letters there, and Fjorden would likely want to keep their magic super secret.

Edited by Blaze1616

I was thinking about the symbols on the bones, and I think they are purely stylistic. The Dakhor bone... shaping... is supposed to be a secret, even within Fjorden. I find it unlikely that they will be included on a map.

I was thinking about the symbols on the bones, and I think they are purely stylistic. The Dakhor bone... shaping... is supposed to be a secret, even within Fjorden. I find it unlikely that they will be included on a map.

I mostly agree with you, but not all the bones have the same symbol on them, to the point where there isn't symmetry on the border, which feels a tad odd for a stylistic flair. In specific, the third bones up from the bottom two skulls do not match. The one on the left features a more complex symbol than most of the bones, with 6 iterations of the arch design, while the one on the right seems more simplistic, only featuring two iterations of the arch design.

Other observations:

The Castle north of the F of "FJORDEN" and west of "WYRN'S SEAT" is the only on with its door open.

The top Castle of the three that are diagonally arranged to the northwest of Vest is the only one with a coloration oddity on it's left base. Otherwise all castles are pretty much identical.

Lake Alonoe clearly represents the dot within Aon Aon. This begs the question of its importance, if it needs importance.

I mostly agree with you, but not all the bones have the same symbol on them, to the point where there isn't symmetry on the border, which feels a tad odd for a stylistic flair. In specific, the third bones up from the bottom two skulls do not match. The one on the left features a more complex symbol than most of the bones, with 6 iterations of the arch design, while the one on the right seems more simplistic, only featuring two iterations of the arch design.

They're nearly symmetric, fundamentally mirrored sections. I suspect the third bone is the result of a misalignment accident. The corner skulls aren't perfect squares. If the top corner skulls were horizontal like the bottom ones there would be a random negative space underneath them, and the jaws would protrude right over the map, becoming a distraction.

(I flipped right skull)map_skull.jpg

So the artist flipped the skull, what nudged the center of the pattern. That would be so noticeable at the sides he decided to cut/extend one bone to make up for it. He probably hoped people wouldn't take a closer look at a simple patterned frame. =P

He could probably rework the pattern of the cut/extended bones so they looked like their original pattern, but you know... Deadline, the archenemy of perfection.

map_1.jpg

post-16694-0-45747100-1444080075_thumb.j

post-16694-0-57592600-1444080077_thumb.j