Would a Mistborn draw mistspren on Roshar?

i’m in the details

1 hour ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Are higher spren drawn to anything

And what do mistborns have to do with mist m

mist on scadrial isn’t real mist right? It’s killing ppl

It stopped killing people centuries ago

And yes it's not real mist, no more then Breaths are

Edited by mathiau

13 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

(Personally, I'm a fan of the theory that the reason the mists are attracted to Allomancers is that the bronzepulses are [probably, though question technically had wiggle room] to Preservation's tone.)

...Ohhhhhhh boy.

Does that mean an Allomancer who can replicate that manually could breathe in the mists like Vin??

Also wouldn't that basically confirm that Ruin is the anti-investiture of Preservation, since Hemalurgy repels the Mists?

15 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Does that mean an Allomancer who can replicate that manually could breathe in the mists like Vin??

Not sure, breathing in the mists seems to be something else, since all Allomancers attract the mists a bit, but most can't breathe them, right? I think Pres probably did something specific with Vin to allow it.

15 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Also wouldn't that basically confirm that Ruin is the anti-investiture of Preservation, since Hemalurgy repels the Mists?

The fact Scadrial does not spontaneously combust makes me guess probably not.

Just now, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Not sure, breathing in the mists seems to be something else, since all Allomancers attract the mists a bit, but most can't breathe them, right? I think Pres probably did something specific with Vin to allow it.

Okay, that's fair.

Just now, LewsTherinTelescope said:

The fact Scadrial does not spontaneously combust makes me guess probably not.

I mean... Ettmetal... Sorta does.

18 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

...Ohhhhhhh boy.

It would not, first because it makes no sense that the pattern of their Rhythms would be the same and second because there's no reason for Anti-Rhythms to be the only things that repel gaseous investiture, it'd make sense that "a link to the the Shard that killed/is killing my Vessel" would to

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Okay, that's fair.

Only in water, and Harmony's Mist doesn't

1 minute ago, Halyo_Alex said:

When it undergoes a chemical reaction with water, yeah. I'd say the fact ettmetal is even capable of existing for a decent amount of time indicates they're probably not anti-Investitures, in my opinion. But our knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited, so I could be wrong and there's a way to keep Investiture and its anti together after all.

17 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

When it undergoes a chemical reaction with water, yeah. I'd say the fact ettmetal is even capable of existing for a decent amount of time indicates they're probably not anti-Investitures, in my opinion. But our knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited, so I could be wrong and there's a way to keep Investiture and its anti together after all.

To be fair anti-investiture react weirdly with Godmetals, and by weirdly I mean "apparently not at all"

5 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

The mists are repelled by Hemalurgy because the 2 Shards are in conflict. There are some holes in this, with Warlight and stuff, but I think it’s pretty solid.

As far as mistspren, I think not, just because you don’t really draw mistspren, because they’re sentient. They are attracted to certain qualities, not mist.

Edited by basement_boi

10 minutes ago, basement_boi said:

The mists are repelled by Hemalurgy because the 2 Shards are in conflict. There are some holes in this, with Warlight and stuff, but I think it’s pretty solid.

As far as mistspren, I think not, just because you don’t really draw mistspren, because they’re sentient. They are attracted to certain qualities, not mist.

Isn’t it because hemalurgy is the exact opposite of preservation mists 

not explicitly because their in conflict

Oo, solid Anti-Investiture sounds really intriguing

Personally, I think Preservation and Ruin's Rhythm's are close to one another's Anti-Rhythms. Stormlight and Voidlight just don't interact with one another, Preservation and Ruin's Investiture were repelled by one another. Preservation and Ruin's Investiture do actually hurt one another, enough to be capable of killing the Vessels. .

11 hours ago, Honorless said:

Stormlight and Voidlight just don't interact with one another, Preservation and Ruin's Investiture were repelled by one another. Preservation and Ruin's Investiture do actually hurt one another, enough to be capable of killing the Vessels. .

This stuff is what makes me suspect that they may be Anti-tones/rhythms of each other. It might be that they're just barely not perfectly oppositely out of phase with each other, which is why Ettmetal can exist but it's unstable.

Might this be why the byproduct of water-Ettmetal reactions has a "cosmere-wide" significance?

19 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Isn’t it because hemalurgy is the exact opposite of preservation mists 

not explicitly because their in conflict

The Intents were in conflict but as is pointed out in Hero of Ages and Secret History, they are able to interact quite nicely when they are wielded with a singular mind. Sazed even implies in Rhythms of War that he just isn't ideal at embodying both Intents. 

Another implication that they aren't truly opposite is that in Era 2 the Mists don't pull away from Hemalurgy 

1 hour ago, StanLemon said:

Another implication that they aren't truly opposite is that in Era 2 the Mists don't pull away from Hemalurgy 

Now they're Harmony's Mist and no longer Preservation's Mists so they're supposed to act differently

4 hours ago, StanLemon said:

Brandon said this in 2010 don’t know if it still stands

Are Shards all paired? Does Endowment have a counterpart?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO. Also, yes and no. Not all Shards have perfect counterparts like Ruin and Preservation.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Why were Ruin and Preservation linked together?

Because they're such perfect opposites. Basically it's just an opposites attract thing.

23 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Brandon said this in 2010 don’t know if it still stands

Are Shards all paired? Does Endowment have a counterpart?

RAFO. Also, yes and no. Not all Shards have perfect counterparts like Ruin and Preservation.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Why were Ruin and Preservation linked together?

Because they're such perfect opposites. Basically it's just an opposites attract thing.

I'm aware of this WoB. Context is important in this regard. In this quote he's clearly referring to Intent. Whereas the conversation on this thread had to do with the nature of their Investiture. One could argue that that is just semantics but I'd argue otherwise. The Mists reacted to Hemalurgy a lot more like Stormlight trying to avoid Voidlight than how we saw a sphere of Anti-Voidlight freely take in Voidlight. In fact all interactions of Ruin and Preservation's Investiture we saw before Sazed took them up required forcefully making them interact. For example Vin and Kelsier had to forcefully push against Ruin to the point of breaking and neither Shard was damaged by it, only the Vessels. From what we've seen of Light and Anti-Light, they freely interact and destroy each other