Alethi Font

Firah

I can make fonts, but my vector-foo is not so strong. If you can get me some nice quality vectors of the alphabet (Illustrator format would be ideal), I can translate them into a font for you. I actually started on this, but it is not turning out as pretty as it deserves.

Edit: I guess I can't upload Illustrator files? The uploader reads "Error: you aren't permitted to upload this kind of file." It's also possible the file is too big, graphic files usually do that. Would it be possible for a mod to make an exception so everyone can access it? Otherwise I can just email it to anyone interested.

Here you go! It's not perfect, partially because of the file resolution I used, and partially because I don't know the letters are drawn, so I wasn't sure where to start when drawing these. Still, if you don't make the characters large than, say, 48 pts, they should work just fine. If anyone else is familiar with illustrator, feel free to embellish or finesse this.

So 2 questions for Peter:

1: Is it ok that we're creating this font? Someone above mentioned "purchasing" it at a later date, and I wouldn't want to be infringing on a potential product/ intellectual property here.

2: Do you know how an alethi scribe would write these letters? That is, where would they start their pen? Some of the larger letters seem like they would require some hand-backtracking, so I feel like writing this language wouldn't be as smooth or linear as writing english in cursive. Also, is the midline usually there before the characters or is drawn in at the same time?

~~

Incidentally, this font reminds me a lot of the one in the Name of the Wind, in that they both are purely sound based. I guess there wouldn't be homonyms in Alethi – pair and pear (if they have pears) would have to be spelled the same way.

Edited by Hubay

Umm... I think you forgot to attach the file.

And Brandon seems to be pretty good about Fan-Stuff that's made. It would still be good to hear from Peter, but I think we're probably good.

Also, I've practiced writing some of the letters, and seems easiest for me to start at the bottom of the letter, and do non-line stuff (like the triangle in Z & S in my signature) before coming back down with the line. For vowels (like A in my signature), I make the line, then make the little slash at the top.

But I don't know how the actual Ardents do it.

And you're right. It doesn't seem to flow as well as cursive does.

From TWG (http://twg.17thshard...75259#msg175259)

Melriken:

What do you mean? how to form the characters with a pen? Because it is English, just with a different letter set.

as posted earlier:

Alethi-Script.png?1286347950

If you are wondering how to form the letters with a Pen, I would suggest:

the vowels start at the front, move to the top, then the bottom

The 'Left Point' letters start at the top, move down/left then down/right then up

The 'Right Point' letters start at the top, move down/right then down/left then up

The 'Diamond' letters start at the top, move down/left then down/right then jump back to the top and move down/right then down/left

And of course the 'Fancy' letters at the top, move down/left then down/right then up

If you want to do it with a Calligraphy pen instead of a Felt Tip or Ball Point Pen you will need to alter the strokes, any time I said to go up, instead jump to the top and make a downward stroke, also you will need to alter your grip between the top and bottom halves of the 'fancy' character. I wouldn't suggest using a Calligraphy Pen for this letter set.

Peter:

Actually, if you're writing it, all of the letters start in the middle. You draw the center line with your pen and never lift it up. Letters are written from left center to top to bottom to left center to right center, except for SZNShH, which is written from left center to right center to top to bottom to right center.

Melriken:

How would the Vowels work under that?

stroke up and slightly right

double stroke down

stroke up (right on top of an existing line)

slight stroke left (to finish the centerline)

stroke right to reach next character and be carefule to re-trace the existing center line?

The Hash modifiers have similar problems of being careful to re-trace existing lines without being visible.

I can see 'school' teaching you to write with one continuous line as you suggest, but I can't see anyone actually doing it in real writing that way. Writing would look way better if you didn't force a single line as you can get ends (like the bottom of a vowel) to taper off to a point (as seen in the examples we have) and the center line will be much straighter and better looking. Considering that Writing is considered an art form I really doubt that people actually practice it the way you describe (writing in cursive, all one motion). It just has too many sharp points and too few rounded edges.

Edit: Yes I understand that you helped make the language, I am not trying to say you are wrong, just discuss the language.

Argent:

Going back to one of the questions regarding the font... We know you have it and don't plan on releasing it, but how do you feel about a fan-made version? It will likely use scanned images with slight modifications to look better.

Peter:

There is no existing center line when you start. And the part where you say "slight stroke left (to finish the centerline)" is not done; Harakeke's image is wrong. The upstroke on the vowels is not technically part of the letter forms; it's just this particular person's handwriting. There's just as likely to be an upstroke at the end of writing a vowel, but it's best to avoid either one to maintain symmetry and to avoid confusion with the other letters.

Some people may produce letter forms that are more rounded or loopy, but this is considered bad penmanship.

Also, there's no prohibition on fonts except they shouldn't be commercial.

One thing that's been bugging me, if that's the Alethi script, then what's all this English doing on in-world documents? It seems odd to me that some of the documents are "translated" into English, while others are not.

One possible explanation is that Navani's notebook isn't actually in Alethi, but in some code she uses to keep her fabrial secrets safe.

Thoughts?

There's been an answer to this:

"

I think it goes back to Tolkien. There's a map in

The Hobbit

, and that map isn't just a random map, which has become almost a cliché of fantasy books, and of epic fantasy. "Oh, of course there's a random map in the front!" Well [Tolkien] wanted you to think this map was the actual map the characters carried around and that's why he included it. He wrote his books as if he were the archivist putting them together and translating them and bringing them to you, this wonderful story from another world, and he included the map because the map was there with the notes. That's what I wanted the feel for this ephemera to be. As though whoever's been writing the Ars Arcanum for all of the books has collected this book together, done the translation and included pieces of art and maps and things that they found in the world that had been collected during these events, and that's what you're getting."

So you're getting in-world knowledge as well as a taste for the actual language.

An update:

I gave Mike the illustrator file, but there was a miscommunication; he could only work with fill and the letters I made were all stroke (this makes sense if you speak adobe). So I'm going to try to make the letters again, but it will take a little longer.

I might first try making the font with the inside of the letters filled in; that will be a lot easier, even though it won't look like the characters we've seen in the books. But once I've got that down i'll clean out the insides and we'll see how it looks. Using fill instead of stroke means the lines might be a little thicker, but I'll try my best to keep them thin and brush-stroke-ish.

Edited by Hubay

I gave Mike the illustrator file, but there was a miscommunication; he could only work with fill and the letters I made were all fill (this makes sense if you speak adobe). So I'm going to try to make the letters again, but it will take a little longer.

But, on the upside, the letters he gave me which won't work for font purposes look really good. So, once we get these little technical details worked out, this font should look quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...