New illustrations of the Heralds Nale and Chanarach by Karla Ortiz

IcaroRibeiro

Nale_Endsheet.pngChanarach_Endsheet.png

Personal comments:

Nale looks awesome. His outfits really remember me a constable, but there is some mix of both senerity and concern on his expression, it just looks right depction of him

Chanarach looks nice too, but I expected a illustration of the Herald of the Dustbringers to looks more... I don't know, war-like? She looks too peaceful for me

Btw, now we have illustrations of all Heralds except Battar 

Edited by IcaroRibeiro
Typo

27 minutes ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Chanarach looks nice too, but I expected a illustration of the Herald of the Dustbringers to looks more... I don't know, war-like? She looks too peaceful for me

I mean these are supposed to be drawings made years after they left.  The depiction will not be close to accurate. 

4 hours ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

New illustrations of the Heralds Nale and Chanarach by Karla Otiz

[artworks]

Wait, we have illustrations of Pailiah and Kalak?

*Karla Ortiz

Edited by Honorless

4 hours ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Nale_Endsheet.pngChanarach_Endsheet.png

Personal comments:

Nale looks awesome. His outfits really remember me a constable, but there is some mix of both senerity and concern on his expression, it just looks right depction of him

The Dustbringer motto is: I will seek self-mastery. This feels very like some martial arts type idea to me, so her looking zen makes a lot of sense. I’d kind of expect 5th oath Dustbringers to be very, very calm and very, very lethal.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Wait, we have illustrations of Pailiah and Kalak?

*Karla Ortiz

Yep, they were revealed in the stream. I think Nale and Chana got more attention since Nale is the most established characters, and everyone is hyped for Dustbringers. 

My personal thought on these is that they are super-cool. These were the two I was hoping we would get, and I honestly thought Nale would wait until Book 5 since we already had Taln revealed and Kalak was bound to happen since this is his orders book. But Taln got pushed back instead, so yay! I always imagined Nale with hair though, but that is literally my one complaint.

Also, is that a dragon in the background on Nales portrait?

Love this depiction of Nale, despite his scar/birthmark not looking as described! In a "Call to Adventure" card he was looking too brutal for my taste, but this is exactly the kind of thoughtful detachment that I imagined.

A bit less sure about Chana - and would an in-wolrld porttrait show her safehand so scandalously ungloved?!

What about Battar? Was she shown, too?

45 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Yep, they were revealed in the stream. I think Nale and Chana got more attention since Nale is the most established characters, and everyone is hyped for Dustbringers. 

My personal thought on these is that they are super-cool. These were the two I was hoping we would get, and I honestly thought Nale would wait until Book 5 since we already had Taln revealed and Kalak was bound to happen since this is his orders book. But Taln got pushed back instead, so yay! I always imagined Nale with hair though, but that is literally my one complaint.

Also, is that a dragon in the background on Nales portrait?

Wait, what stream?

Probably a Larkin, I didn't notice it, thought that was a bird too, sharp eyes! 

Yea, I have now seen Pailiah too and I am disappointed. Wasn't she supposed to appear old? Generally, she and Chana look like generic youngish pretty women. I'd have wished for Chana to look sterner and more military, not just in her outfit, but in face and expression. And how could team Sanderson have allowed a naked safehand?! The male Heralds are more diverse and show their character much better, as is sadly usual. I expected more from Sanderson, though.

Just a reminder, I'm almost positive that these are IN WORLD religious depictions of the Heralds, NOT what they are actually like. They are idealized and therefore given more perfect depictions than the drawings Wit gave to Jasnah for instance (which we haven't seen and likely won't until we get to Books 6-10 if we get them at all outside of the books (I'm positive we'll get actual depictions of them in book eventually, but again, not this time around). Brandon, honestly, for whatever direction he gave the artists, has accurately shown how otherwise normal people become idealized as they are worshipped.

1 minute ago, Crylorenzo said:

Just a reminder, I'm almost positive that these are IN WORLD religious depictions of the Heralds, NOT what they are actually like. They are idealized and therefore given more perfect depictions than the drawings Wit gave to Jasnah for instance (which we haven't seen and likely won't until we get to Books 6-10 if we get them at all outside of the books (I'm positive we'll get actual depictions of them in book eventually, but again, not this time around). Brandon, honestly, for whatever direction he gave the artists, has accurately shown how otherwise normal people become idealized as they are worshipped.

I agree. But especially since they are idealized versions and in world religious depictions, the naked safehand raises questions. Nevertheless, I love Chana's picture as a whole (even though I agree that her facial expression is quite generic) and the colors in Pailiah's are great. By the way.. What are those mini clouds with those flashes of lightning. Are those spren? 

1 hour ago, equinox said:

By the way.. What are those mini clouds with those flashes of lightning. Are those spren? 

I'm fairly sure these are logicspren. Chana seems to be surrounded by flamespren... No idea about Nale and Kalak though

@Isilel The whole safehand idea is deeply connected to Vorin gender roles. Combining a gloved safehand with a sword would just undermine the message, I think :)

Edited by KandraAllomancer

9 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The Dustbringer motto is: I will seek self-mastery. This feels very like some martial arts type idea to me, so her looking zen makes a lot of sense. I’d kind of expect 5th oath Dustbringers to be very, very calm and very, very lethal.

I agree, they strike me as very Zen/Bushido.

Thus, how can the 5th Dustbringer oath be anything other than "Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather" 

1 hour ago, KandraAllomancer said:

@Isilel The whole safehand idea is deeply connected to Vorin gender roles. Combining a gloved safehand with a sword would just undermine the message, I think :)

Yes, I kind of envision it like Heralds:Vorinism as Jesus:Christianity. The Heralds wouldn't have been Vorin in the same way as Vorinism is practiced, so they would have been expected to be exempt from the rules afforded to normal folks. And, as you helpfully note, the Heralds were all warriors, which is what the safehand gender norms are meant to exclude women from doing. It would not make sense for a Herald to have a left hand she is not supposed to use, while wielding an honor blade. Though it does make it an interesting choice. 

Continuing my cousin spren theorizing:

The spren surrounding Nale are too fuzzy to determine the exact shape, but color and behavior seems to indicate either joyspren or luckspren. The latter are far more probable, given their association with skyeels and greatshells (and, by extension, flight and gravity). Also, I simply cannot imagine Nale attracting joyspren :)

The spren around Kalak look like laugtherspren, which seems fitting given the nature of his Order

These are both beautiful and both make me think of death.

Nale the grim executioner dressed like Inspector Javert.  Are those larkin flying around in the background?  The little blue spren must be Mandra/luckspren.

Chana with the transitional archway, bloodred colors, bloodgroove in the sword, and the autumn trees.  Balancing on one toe could be a surge of friction thing?  We've seen Lift and others negate friction to glide around, it seems logical you could also increase it.  Her having reddish hair is surprising, usually that seems to be associated with Horneater/Singer ancestry.  Could just be a reflection of her polestone being ruby.

5 hours ago, Bliev said:

Yes, I kind of envision it like Heralds:Vorinism as Jesus:Christianity. The Heralds wouldn't have been Vorin in the same way as Vorinism is practiced, so they would have been expected to be exempt from the rules afforded to normal folks. And, as you helpfully note, the Heralds were all warriors, which is what the safehand gender norms are meant to exclude women from doing. It would not make sense for a Herald to have a left hand she is not supposed to use, while wielding an honor blade. Though it does make it an interesting choice. 

I mean, the other three female Heralds we have pictures of all have at least gloves on their safehands. I wonder if perhaps each set of paintings is from a different time period, and Chana's is from before the gender roles were as set?

(I mean, the real answer is probably that the IRL artist for whatever reason just didn't include it, but I'm thinking about an in-world explanation.)

10 hours ago, Isilel said:

Yea, I have now seen Pailiah too and I am disappointed. Wasn't she supposed to appear old? Generally, she and Chana look like generic youngish pretty women. I'd have wished for Chana to look sterner and more military, not just in her outfit, but in face and expression. And how could team Sanderson have allowed a naked safehand?! The male Heralds are more diverse and show their character much better, as is sadly usual. I expected more from Sanderson, though.

Regarding the safe hand, I’m pretty sure there are multiple WoBs that say something along the lines of safehands being a thing that started after the Recreance in order to limit half of the population (women) to get acces to shardblabes & wielding one became a masculine thing to do. From that, I understand that safehands weren’t a thing during Heralds time, but the women Heralds we’ve got so far are depicted with one because they are in world paintings & so people would expect them to have a covered hand.

On 2020-10-30 at 9:02 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

Balancing on one toe could be a surge of friction thing?  We've seen Lift and others negate friction to glide around, it seems logical you could also increase it

I was wondering about this. To me, it looks like she is levitating. I admittedly dont know much about the scientifics of friction (not on Roshar, and not IRL either), but could levitation reasonably be part of the Dustbringer power-set?

On 10/30/2020 at 4:47 AM, Isilel said:

A bit less sure about Chana - and would an in-wolrld porttrait show her safehand so scandalously ungloved?!

On 10/30/2020 at 7:25 AM, Isilel said:

On 10/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, equinox said:

I agree. But especially since they are idealized versions and in world religious depictions, the naked safehand raises questions. Nevertheless, I love Chana's picture as a whole (even though I agree that her facial expression is quite generic) and the colors in Pailiah's are great. By the way.. What are those mini clouds with those flashes of lightning. Are those spren? 

Sigh I'm going to be a bit blunt here because I've seen this string of thought in a lot of different places, but have you people never looked at David's Michelangelo? Venus de Milo? Durer's Adam and Eve? Rembrandt's Bathsheba? Showing nudity in art is nothing new, sometimes even when it's directly paid for and owned by conservative church or state entities. There's periodic moral panics but by and large people throughout history in even extremely sexual repressed and restrictive cultures have accepted that art plays by its own rules. I know Sanderson would never go for it but if Roshar was real and you showed me a painting from there where the heralds were outright naked I wouldn't blink an eye.

This is all assuming this art is even Vorin or from a recent time period.